[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Problem With Conscript Hordes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: Flashlight.png (91KB, 479x316px) Image search: [Google]
Flashlight.png
91KB, 479x316px
So I've noticed a lot of meme-wanking over the prospect of an all infantry guard-horde, specifically an all infantry guard-horde made of conscripts and commissars.

This is, actually, nothing new. Back in 3rd (which, if I do say myself is the closest of the previous editions to 8th) the prospect of an all-infantry guard horde was terrifying. Now it's because templates have been removed entirely, conscripts are dirt-cheap, and all the new FOC charts basically let you spam whatever is the most effective slot for your army. Back then it was because BIG templates were actually hard to fit into the old FOC (most armies couldn't even get them at all, and those that could could fit one pie-plate per heavy-support, which meant a maximum of three pie-plates per FOC, snf you usually only got 1 FOC back then) and because the platoon structure let you take fit WAAAAAY more individual models into a single troop selection than any other army. Yes, back then, a horde of infantry guard, with enough AT-support to pop a transport or two, was theoretically unbeatable. However, it almost always stayed entirely theoretical for reasons that 100% still apply... and will explain to you in the next post because too long.
>>
File: FLASHLIGHT.jpg (121KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
FLASHLIGHT.jpg
121KB, 750x600px
>>54194498

There are two kinds of armies: friendly armies to play with friends, and WAAC tournament lists. Obviously, both in 3rd and 8th, nobody is going to bring a 300-600 infantry guard horde unless they intend to quickly have nobody to play friendly games with. Even those who can have fun playing against an army they can't beat (very 40k actually, hopeless last stand for tha emprah and all that) can't have fun against someone who's model movement alone takes much longer than regular army's turns, not to mention rolling that literal bucket of dice for a shooting phase.
>But what about WAAC tournament lists?
What about them? Have you ever been to a tournament that didn't have a time limit either on turns or on games, because I haven't. Good luck placing in a tournament when you can't actually finish a single game.

So, they're not good for friendly games, they're not good for tournaments... what are they good for? Just meme-ing on 4chan I guess.
>>
might be fun for small point games. You think they'd be more balanced or less balanced in small games?
>>
>>54194566
Eh. Try to hold more than two objectives.
>>
>>54194511
>all those broken Guardsmen
One Commissar could fix that.
>>
>>54198172
The problems I mentioned had nothing to do with break saves. Commissars don't fix turns that are too long to be fun in friendly games or to be viable in tournaments.

I already assumed the conscript hordes had Commissars .
>>
>>54198747
He's talking about the pic you used in that post, buddy.
>>
>>54198779
but they're not broken, they're clearly firing.
>>
>>54198802
So, you've never played Dawn of War, then. Or, it's been so long you can't remember. That's not how morale works in Dawn of War.
>>
>>54198802
The red circle around them means they're broken
>>
>>54198172
Units in DoW have those red marks on the ground around them when their morale breaks. They still fight but less frequently and deal less damage
>>
>>54198889
>>54198862
>>54198836
>So, you've never played Dawn of War, then
I have not. It just looked like a cool picture to go with talk about hordes of imperial flashlights
>>
>>54198929
It's cool, bro. Vidya ain't everybody's thing. We love you.
>>
>>54194498
This implies you actually need to move or even fire with them that often.

Sheer weight of numbers will be able to capture most objectives and require minimal movement and there's very little opponents can do to thin down those numbers. You can then only fire your 200+ shots when you feel it worthwhile

Likewise you can easily run say 250 and support them with artillery and heavy weapons which are easy to resolve attacks with.
>>
>>54194498
>mfw youll get shitted on for playing conscript
>mfw since tau are now """Shit tier" you can field 6 QuadFusion commander people dont care
>>
>>54194511
>movement trays
>>
File: Magic-shia-labeouf-gif.gif (1MB, 400x224px) Image search: [Google]
Magic-shia-labeouf-gif.gif
1MB, 400x224px
>>54199888
if you take the time to actually mold a movement tray with tightly packed little circle divots the size of 50 guardsman bases over and over, then good on you, but I've never seen it done.
>>
>>54194498
>>54194511

Of course this raises the question: what is the optimum and/or maximum size of an army you can realistically field in a warm40k game?

>>54200038

actually easy to make with a vaccuum mold.
>>
File: 1427263395523.png (149KB, 682x614px) Image search: [Google]
1427263395523.png
149KB, 682x614px
>>54194498
I actually played this kind of list after Guard got their big update.

Ended up stopping because moving the massive units took so much time. It was fun while it lasted though - Chenkov Conscript blocks, combined squads in platoons and Psyker battle squads with kitbashed fantasy flagellants every day. Wish I would have played less against marines
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.