[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you do a redemption story?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: Illidan.png (1MB, 732x1060px) Image search: [Google]
Illidan.png
1MB, 732x1060px
I mean, try this scenario:

>Dastard Mcdastardson suddenly has an epiphany
>Dastard Mcdastardson has a lifetime of hardcore evul
>Dastard Mcdastardson decides to do all he can to redeem himself

Question is, how you do it without whitewashing his past, making who should be his foes overly accepting of him, and overall turning him into what is called, a Dindu.

The example of Illidan Stormrage is an example of what's to be avoided.
>>
File: Darth-Vader-Redemption.jpg (14KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Darth-Vader-Redemption.jpg
14KB, 320x240px
>>54193124
Stick with the classics.
>>
File: Kerrigan.png (284KB, 423x322px) Image search: [Google]
Kerrigan.png
284KB, 423x322px
>If you hold her accountable, she can't be redeemed.
>If you don't hold her accountable, she doesn't need to be redeemed.
>Largely only killed people who threatened her once she was deinfested.
>Also infested a lot of people when she turned Zerg again.
>Ultimately sacrificed nothing and saved the world for its own sake, not to prove a point.
>Gets happy ending with best husbando.

The best way to do a redemption story is to not redeem the character and just let bygones be bygones.
See also: Grosse Pointe Blank.
>>
>>>>54193434 #

>Kerrigan Dindu Nuffin is good writing

Off to Blizzard Forums.
>>
File: Spike and Angel cover2.jpg (68KB, 1080x608px) Image search: [Google]
Spike and Angel cover2.jpg
68KB, 1080x608px
>>54193124
>Question is, how you do it without whitewashing his past, making who should be his foes overly accepting of him?
By not doing that?
His past is still there and the consequences of his actions are still around to plague him, despite his change of heart.
His past is not some distant reminder of evil long ago, it is a daily struggle.
Don't have his former foes overly accept him.
Contrive reasons for them to begrudgingly accept his help as he tries to atone.

The ideal redemption story doesn't end.
Redemption is to be sought, not found and placed on the mantle like a trophy.

When you have done so much evil that you can never truly redeem yourself, you simply keep trying anyway.
Like these chuckleheads.

But really, I think I like Xena for a redemption story arc as she didn't exactly suddenly become pure and redeemed, nor did she avoid relapsing more than once.
It was a slow, slippery trudge up a mountain of regret where you claw your way up so slowly that you never even notice when you reach above the clouds.
>>
>>54193124
You have them own up, take responsibility for their crimes, serve their time, and then try to get on with their lives, with the understanding that most people have a good reason not to trust or care about him.
>>
>Blizzard is now pretending their sneering backstabber character is a dindu trying to save Azeroth

Haha Blizzard's "lore" is so terrible.
>>
>>54193434
>See also: Grosse Pointe Blank.
That was a comedy. You aren't supposed to take it seriously. Also Kerrigan is an even worse example.
>>
>>54193151
was about to post this. lel.
>>
>>54194179

Starcraft 2's Kerrigan Magical Adventures is just another case of Blizzard's focus on dindus.
>>
>>54194251
chris metzen said at blizzcon that he has an obsession with redemption stories.
>>
>>54194480

I know. In practice we get loads of dinduism.
>>
I despise it when a storyline tries to redeem a villain by making them noble and sacrificing the entire time.

When, on Farscape, Bialar Crais tried to paint himself as a noble warrior who was just doing what he felt he had to, from his perspective, I hated him for it.
He was a self centered murdering asshat, who died a very noble death because he did have values, despite failing to live up to them, IMO.
Scorpius, on the other hand, despite having and end goal that was Good and only ever committed evil acts when necessary in pursuit of that goal, he routinely displays a callous disregard for the lives of others.
They tried to portray him in a better light, but he remained gloriously villainous.
>>
>>54193434
I don't like non-Zerg Kerrigan.

I want my Queen of Blades back!
>>
speaking of demon hunters, if they have "muh demon soul", doesnt that mean warlocks can control them?
>>
>>54193124
>>54194155
To be fair it's the TBC lore that is terrible. They just broke all the established characters from wc3 to turn them into bad guy bosses. And even if "he was just trying to do the right things guys, we just didn't know at the time" he still did lot's of horrible shit while he was trying to rule outland.
I'm more dejected by Blizzards happy retconning, recent writing and terrible early wow lore than the end result of the character.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.