[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Obscure setting you love but only you know about and why you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: blue planet.jpg (19KB, 220x287px) Image search: [Google]
blue planet.jpg
19KB, 220x287px
Obscure setting you love but only you know about and why you love them thread?

I'll start with Blue Planet

>Tropical hard sf
>Very 90's V A P O R W A V E look and feel
>Lethal as fuck combat
>Setting where you can have like urban noir adventures that start out in the Warf of Kingston and over time transition into a Far Cry/Heart of Darkness style trek into the wilderness
>Varied amount of roles to play
>I dig the hard Science fiction setting that isn't screaming unrealistic transhuman gobbleygook at you

It's the perfect setting to make a campaign for like a Thriller movie. Any of you guys got loves like that?
>>
>>54192930
Blue Planet is nice, hard scifi with a neat setting. Good choice.
>>
File: 1470361635045.png (3MB, 1495x833px) Image search: [Google]
1470361635045.png
3MB, 1495x833px
Warhammer 40k.

Nobody seems to know what it is when I go to my local game stores and I never see anyone talk about it on here, but I love the aesthetic of one of the factions in it.

The imperium of Man is kind of like if the Papacy was a stellar empire. They've got some really cool units too.
>>
>>54192930
Is it really vaporwave? It seems more to be seapunk or oceangrunge to me.
>>
>>54197969
For some reason people have replaced the 90s aesthetic with the term vaporwave.
>>
>>54192930
The book desperately needed the services of an editor. The system is meh; serviceable, but hindered by miserable layout. I'd call it eco-something in terms of theme, it's definitely a product of its era.

I played in a short campaign that featured smuggling cinnamon-analog as a pizza topping, shuttle crashes, and drinking our own piss to survive.
>>
Mechanical Dream

>Characters reside in the world of the dual world of Kaïnas and Naakinis, a 30,000 mile disk lit by a sun-like orb called the Pendulum. This disk is surrounded by the Sofe, a 40-mile-tall wall of black ether that kills that few, if any, have ever returned from. Kaïnas (the rational world) and Naakinis (the mythic world) exist with overlapping topography and ecosystems. Flora and fauna of Kainas are scaled normally by real-world standards, while Naakinis exists on a much larger scale (such as the "Kioux" trees that reach many miles in height).

>The Pendulum spends roughly ten of each day's thirty hours beyond the Sofe, creating night-like darkness. During this time, a phenomenon called "The Dream" manifests, becoming stronger as less and less light permeates Kaïnas. The Dream is a fabulous and dangerous world that overlaps with reality. It is initially hazy and hallucinatory, becoming as solid as reality during the darkest parts of the night. Areas where the Pendulum does not shine are affected by permanent manifestations of the Dream.

>The Aran world is a separate existence, accessible only in places the Pendulums' light cannot reach (underground or deep underwater). It is fiercely primordial, rejecting inorganic matter and operating by rules entirely different from reality. The creatures inhabiting Aran are unpredictable and poorly understood.

>The vast majority of the setting's population depends on the weekly consumption of the orpee fruit to survive. Without orpee, a rapid and excruciating death is guaranteed. Orpee naturally concentrates a life-force called "eflow" that fuels life. The politics and economics of Kaïnas are primarily driven by the collection and distribution of orpee, as it is an absolute requirement for life.

Attached is a setting overview. Link to PDFs is here -- https://mega.nz/#F!iwxRETYC!92YZNGq7TKlSeEFBCMOWYA
>>
>>54199592
>Ten races can be found in Kaïnas, none of them human.
>--Emovan: Aquatic craftsmen with a strongly collectivist society.
>--Frilin: An intellectual plant-based race who do not require orpee to survive.
>--Gnath: A highly rational people who are the driving force behind modernization.
>--Inaïs: The only race able to harvest orpee, who live as passionate ascetics.
>--Nayan: A deeply passionate and charismatic race driven by a powerful martyrdom complex.
>--Odwoane: A diminutive race of mimicking laborers who instinctively gather and act in groups.
>--Solek: A race that emerged from the Sofe, characterized by their silence and efficiency
>--Volkoï: A race bred for war and physically dependent on a constant flow of adrenaline.
>--Yaki: A collection of tightly-knit nomadic tribes with a strong understanding of the Dream.
>--Zïn: Extremely rare, solitary beings who carry within them a volatile Aran entity.
>>
>>54199609
>The heroes of Kaïnas are called Echoes. Able to harness eflow to produce miraculous effect using their "Gifts," they are also able to gain information and insight through a "Whisper," the so-called voice of eflow that speaks to each Echo. There exist many different "vocations" for Echoes, castes that delineate their personalities and abilities:
>--Awakener: Healers and animators of the inanimate.
>--Guardians: Marksmen and defenders.
>--Judge: Champions of social order and fair justice.
>--Judicator: Brutal warriors who police other Echoes.
>--Mind Chemist: Psychics able to enter the minds of others.
>--Nightmare: Violent predators who become one with the Dream.
>--Overlord: Overseers who seek and succeed at control over others.
>--Truth Crafter: Scholars and storytellers with the power of illusion.
>--Walker: Hardened drifters and explorers.
>>
>>54199495
There's also a GURPS version if you prefer the system.
Don't know if the setting is a carbon copy or if they changed things, though.
>>
>>54199495
I never actually played it, but I recall the mechanics not being particularly to my liking (needlessly complex and clunky?). The setting seemed pretty interesting, but it was presented in a rather rambling fashion, from what I recall, and I kind of lost focus partway through in a sea of details. A better presentation definitely could've helped.
>>
The Algol star system from Phantasy Star.

Hybrid hi-lo tech, interesting lore, sci-fi environment with widespread magic users
>>
Midnight for D&D, by Fantasy Flight Games. LotR if Sauron won. Support pulled way back in the early 2000s. Damn do I miss it.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.