[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Critical Role Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 21

File: Kvarn_by_janeesper-d8u5oih.jpg (1MB, 2550x2837px) Image search: [Google]
Kvarn_by_janeesper-d8u5oih.jpg
1MB, 2550x2837px
Place your bets, will it be another 4 hours of nothing, or will something interesting happen?

Will Matt ever let someone finally die?
>>
>>54192623
>Will Matt ever let someone finally die?
Lolno. He can't because of the format of the show.
>>
File: 1426054352863.jpg (47KB, 704x480px) Image search: [Google]
1426054352863.jpg
47KB, 704x480px
>>54192623
You realize it's all fake and scripted, like wrestling, right?
>>
It'll be 4 hours of:

"Oh great and powerful X, we need your boon to defeat Vecna"
>Okay. Go do Y for me
"But I don't want to do Y. Can't you see how important this is?"
>Okay roll charm
>NAT 20 LULULU
>Okay here is a boon

Rinse, repeat.
>>
>>54192623
>Will Matt ever let someone finally die?

I fucking wish.
>>
>Playing character who's a vaguely-defined Foreigner, let DM decide what country I'm from (Game has various settings exist as their own continent)
>Evidently I'm from the country/continent Critical Role is in
>I have never seen even a second of it before

Google doesn't have any good results, does anyone have any resources for a summary of the game setting? I'd like to at least know a little bit about my supposed "homeland".
>>
>>54192726
i'm sure there's a critical role wiki

also, the dm of this game is going to publish a critical role campaign setting soon
>>
>>54192726
Best you're going to get is the CR wiki
>>
>all this tumblr fanart in the pre-stream
I think i'm going to puke.
>>
>>54192779
about 10% of it is really good

that purple and pink one with all of the guest players looks cool but it passes too quickly to see the artist name

but yeah, 90% of it is obvious virtue signaling
>>
>liam can't steal the scene as easily now

good
>>
geek and sundry shitting itself
>>
>>54192799
>but yeah, 90% of it is obvious virtue signaling

Not that guy, but what kills me is when they make the white-skinned characters like Scanlan, Pike, Vax, Vex, and Keyleth, dark-skinned. But never Percy.
>>
>>54192868
don't you know anon? you can't have a morally questionable character be dark skinned, that's racist!
>>
Fuck off with the announcements already. You made us wait 30 minutes just to get the damn program started and shit is STILL fucking up.
>>
>>54192868
Scanlan lived a year in Not!Arabia, so that's sorta justified for him to be well-tanned.
Pike is a Deep Gnome, so they're all wrong, white and brown alike. She should be grey.
Half-elves are tricky. Twins are probably supposed to be outright Caucasian; but Vesra, Keileth's hometown, is supposed to be southeastern-ish, so anything probably goes.
>>
>>54192986
>Pike is a Deep Gnome

Holy shit, really?
>>
>>54192983
You'd think with all those shekels they'd have working equipment and the ability to actually set up and test things ahead of time.
>>
>>54193006

Yeah, I seriously don't know what the fuck is going on there. This shit happens every week.
>>
>>54193004
Yeah I learned that after watching this for years only a few weeks ago
He said us gnomes hang in the forest, but she gets offended because she's a deep gnome.
>>
>>54193046

I thought she was a rock gnome, honestly.
>>
>>54193053
She says "Her ancestors were a family of deep gnomes with quite an unfavorable reputation" back in the original intro with PCs introductions.
>>
pike is a smerf?
>>
>stealing shit on the god's plane

are they actually that dumb or do they think they can get away with being so greedy? you'd think vex would have learned by now
>>
>>54192623
That purple people eater has substantially more than one eye. It has a conspicuous number of eyes.
>>
what are the chances they get in a fight with a solar
>>
i wonder how in character these people actually are

is marisha actually a dolt and is laura actually that greedy?
>>
File: CRposter.jpg (184KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
CRposter.jpg
184KB, 1000x667px
What do you guys WANT to see them play in the next campaign? Not what you THINK they'll play, but what you'd WANT them to play.

>Travis
Dwarf Battlemaster (seeing him play a short but intelligent martial compared to the big dumb brute that is Grog is something I want to see)
>Sam
Human Wizard, no explanation necessary.
>Liam
Aasimar Cleric (something not edgy and with more focus on spells, since he seems scared of spells)
>Laura
Tiefling Warlock/Sorcerer
>Marisha
Human Sorcerer (I just want her to stay away from anything related to Wisdom and I don't want to see her use the "low CHA" excuse a second time)
>Ashley
Half-Orc Barbarian, self explanatory
>Taliesin
High Elf Devotion Paladin (I want to see him play something completely opposite of Percy
>>
>>54193222
shadowrun instead of generic fantasy they already did every highlight of by now
>>
File: 1444496157182.jpg (31KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
1444496157182.jpg
31KB, 380x380px
>>54193236
>shadowrun
>>
>>54193222
it'll definitely still going to be in the same world, it'll probably be a "20 years after Vox Machina" deal

i just want everyone to play what they should
marisha should be a barbarian, travis should be an eldritch knight, sam needs to stay as a bard, laura should be a rogue, and talisan should be a monk
>>
>be a cleric
>in the realm of the god you worship
>cant even properly fucking pray to your god still

just put ashley down
>>
>>54193222
I want to see them play starfinder when it comes out. i'm tired of fantasy.
>>
OKAY we fucking get it, is the whole episode going to be them figuring out how to fucking walk? riveting viewing experience!
>>
I wonder what Pike's boon will be.
>>
>my lady, I am your humble servant. Lend me your power so that I may smite your foe

>yo saranrae ive always believed in you a lot wow this is so cool can you help me pls?

i dont usually dislike ashley but damn
>>
DIVINE BLESSING INCOMING
>>
>>54192623
I tried listening to their first episode.

Do they ever did their horrible audio problems?

I can't stand all of the distortion from the audio "red-lining".

>fixing this is EXTREMELY simple with any audio/video editing software.
>>
>>54193692
>did*

*fix

WTF autocorrect?
>>
>>54193222
Bro, Travis needs to play a caster of some kind. It would absolutely break the game.

>>54193203
Marisha is just widely considered to be the worst part of the show, and in a truly just world, she won't be on the next campaign.
>>
>>54193692
audio improves steadily after the first arc or so, which is around ep 11 or 12. the first eps were still on the shitty GnS recorders they had before CR really got the ball rolling
>>
>>54193751
>Marisha

What's wrong with her face?
>>
>>54193800
>What's wrong with her face?
Kentucky
>>
>>54193751
God I want to see Travis as something smart but he plays stupid so amazingly

Maybe a Wild Magic Sorcerer?
>>
>>54193800
>>
>>54193800
>>54193914
Autism
>>
File: 1484970889218.jpg (227KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1484970889218.jpg
227KB, 800x800px
>>54193222
Travis-anything that has to think, wizard, sorcerer, or rouge.

Sam- someone who takes command probably battle master or Paladin

Liam- Not edgy, so lawful good cleric

Laura- not annoying, so warlock or something

marish-death, if not anything that doesn't talk so champion fighter or barbarian so she doesn't RP as much as humanly possible

Ashley- out of the comfort zone so something in the face or more chaotic so maybe a mad wizard or something

Tailesin- not a gunslinger and not a noble.
>>
>>54193800
nothing really "wrong" with her face it's just off, and she's a fucking idiot so there's that.
>>
i like this tree lol
>>
Dick Tree. Superb.
>>
>>54194073
Welp, that was a fucking prophecy.
>>
>>54194062
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BndQrmT_ytg
>>
bitch planet sounds pretty retarded. comics are dead.
>>
>>54194294
>comics are dead.

And soon enough ttrpgs.
>>
>>54194331
I doubt it. ttrpgs have always had a lot of females in the hobby because back in the day it was primarily played by children.
>>
>Oh shit it's Thursday night, I better check on Critical Role
>feminism feminism feminism
>77 cents to the dollar
>80% of the enchilada
>a comic about a prison planet for women who dared oppose the patriarchy
>Holy shit, is this what they really think the world is like?

I could get this bullshit any day of the week at any hour. It's unavoidable. Can three hours on a Thursday night please not include this shit?
>>
>>54194514

Just tune out during the break like the rest of us.
>>
>>54194514
welcome to mainstream "nerd" culture.
>>
>>54194514
>>Holy shit, is this what they really think the world is like?

They live in LA, so yes.
Theybait on an insulated echo chamber listening to the sounds of their own farts. Breathing in the noxious fumes until they can't tell reality from falsity.
>>
File: 1429155958123.png (934KB, 513x1117px) Image search: [Google]
1429155958123.png
934KB, 513x1117px
>that break segment

that was rough. that was bad. that was fucking awful.
>>
fucking vax edge hurts
>>
>>54194568
>>54194548
>>54194594

Lesson learned, I suppose. Eh, it's their channel, they can do with it what they please. Still, it somewhat disturbs me that they would use their channel as a platform for progressive evangelism.
>>
>Actually watching the break segments
>Not using the time to use the restroom or grab a drink/snack

Seriously the only thing worth sitting through is the fan art part. Some of its not too bad
>>
>>54194707
just have to remember that it's not CR pushing forward the tumblr shit, its GnS
>>
>Hurr I've never worshiped a god before but right now, right in front of you, seems like a good time
My god can she asspull any harder
>>
IVE NEVER BELIEVED IN ANYTHING AND THE CLOSEST GOD I HAVE A TIE TO IS MELORA BUT ILL SUCK YOUR DICK PELOR SINCE I DONT WANNA WALK AWAY WITH NOTHING
>>
FEMINISM
>>
>>54194771
>>54194765
top tier roleplaying.
>>
how does laura manage to cry every week
>>
god that was the most cringe worthy shit from marisha
>>
>>54194790
actresses are really good at crocodile tears.
>>
kek even matt was like

>Really? Are you guys sure? No one else? No one other than Keylith? One final offer...
>>
HOURGLASS HYPE
>>
>>54194765
>>54194771
>>54194798
Just glad Matt didnt play into it.

>>54194818
The group has never been bright to pick up on things.
>>
>>54194853
oh my god that reminds me of fucking saundour in the feywild that shit was infuriating
>>
>>54194828
They're doomed with how indecisive they are
>>
KEYLITH BACK IT AGAIN EVERYONE

honestly this is how i see all druids, never seen a non sperg druid
>>
If Matt actually used this hourglass threat to keep combat moving outside of this one singular encounter, they might actually be able to get through multiple ones in a night instead of just one big one per session. But that would make too much sense.
>>
Anyone else think that the simplest way would be the most effective?

>Vex humbly asking the Planar if she could pass?
>>
>>54194931
that would be too much stress, even i think that's a recipe for horrible dnd play
>>
>>54194880
Marisha taking too long on her turns even when there's an hourglass in front of here. I'm not even mad, I relish these antics.
>>
>proud woman literally breaking the glass ceiling

so powerful im crying
>>
>>54194961
You mean the stress of actually learning what your goddamn modifiers and spells do before your turn?
>>
>>54194973
let your players think for a goddamn second, an hourglass is just being a dick for no reason, it's only an issue if you just never bother to remember anything like marisha
>>
>>54194969
It's like the Hillary victory ceremony all over again!
>>
>>54194989
>Not doing that during other players' turns
Look how fast Grog's turns are compared to literally any other member. They ALL should be that fast for a show like this.
>>
>>54195021
...that's because grog is a barbarian. he can do ONE thing. he recently got more attacks because he multi classed into fighter
>>
>>54195039
Oh gee I wonder what the others will do!
>Percy: Pew pew pew!
>Scanlan: Maybe has an excuse to take a bit
>Vex: More pew pew pew!
>Vax: MY FAMILY IS DEAD! I mean, dagger dagger dagger
>Marisha: Should just fucking die
>>
File: IMG_7904.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7904.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
been away for a while and now theres a fucking critical role general?

holy fuck bring the quests back ill take anything over this

good fucking god
>>
FUCK YOU MERCER SHE DIDN't EARN THIS
>>
>>54195058
dont be a chode, this a game not a competition. if my dm ever pulls that time trial shit i'm leaving
>>
>>54195021
it's a lot easier to say 'yeah i go over to that guy and just smack the shit out of him' compared to say, a druid, who has several different options and can basically make or break a party in fights
>>
>>54195070
>i can't believe people are talking about a popular dungeons and dragons stream with voice actors from the gaming industry that happens once a week on a board that talks about dungeons and dragons!

fuck off
>>
I wouldn't normally use an hourglass, although used rarely like this, I think it offers a fine dramatic twist. In general, however, if combat rounds are consistently taking too long, then some soft time limits imposed seem sensible, otherwise it's entirely unnecessary.
>>
ive barely paid any attention to this episode

just me or anyone else bored by 99% of what's been going on
>>
>>54195119
the fights and the comedy are the real pros of this show, but there's no way to tell when those come up if you don't watch the whole thing
>>
>Reinforcing the natural 20 on a skill check meme

Guys please. Please guys.
>>
>>54195119
im pretty much ready for this campaign to be over with. i don't know how they fucked up not killing vecna in the first encounter. just feels likes they're extending the campaign instead of just fighting vecna again.
>>
>>54195081
And nothing of value was lost

>>54195113
This is pretty much my point. If you can't come up with and execute a course of action within three minutes, no matter the class, then you either don't know your character sheet/spells or you're a mouthbreathing idiot.
>>
Weren't they actually supposed to fight Orcus? That was the original bargain they made with The Raven Queen wasn't it?

Wonder if any of them are gonna remember that chestnut
>>
>>54195162
found the resident "that guy"

pro tip, they're talking about you right now
>>
Pretty lackluster episode.
>>
>>54195179
I'd rather play with the "that guy" who will take their turns quickly and won't walk from the table like a faggot if the DM ever pulls out an hourglass.
>>
>>54195209
spoken like a true "that guy", thanks for proving my point
>>
>>54195218
You keep using those words. I don't think they mean what you think they do.
>>
Mostly, I'm waiting for the next campaign at this rate, and praying that Travis, Sam, and Ashley take the leading roles, rather than being supportive characters.

Marisha, Liam, Taelsin, and Laura definitely had their time in the sun, and almost certainly got a bit more character development than everyone else, with the exception of maybe Travis's arc with Grog. Because fuck, the Kevdak fight was the most satisfying finish I've ever seen in a game.

Not that I didn't enjoy the Briarwood arc, which is arguably one of the best arcs in the series. I just think Taelsin took a backseat for certain parts of it, since he wasn't used to having Percy in the limelight. Fuck, I really went and ranted here.
>>
>>54195218
>I don't like what he's saying! Better call him a that guy!
Is this your first day on /tg/?
>>
>>54195232
>>54195244
>REEEEEEEE quit talking and having fun! this isn't a fucking game!

again, it's literally only a problem if you're like keylith. this drill sergeant approach to dnd is absolutely "that guy" tier
>>
>>54195235
ripley and raishan were still my favorite
>>
i hope marisha gets an extra helping of hatred for that retarded spotlight stealing
and again scanlan saves the day
i want this campaign to be over already
>>
Only Marisha would literally think to get a blessing like a grab-bag while the prime candidate is too afraid to hurt her ignorant feelings and tell her no. Seriously Laura, Marisha was s too autistic to think for anyone else, put her in her place. Geesh
>>
File: 1483736181918.jpg (180KB, 517x768px) Image search: [Google]
1483736181918.jpg
180KB, 517x768px
>>54195260
>DM pulls out an hourglass and sets it down on the table
>While all the other players start figuring out what their characters will do, you shake your head and stand up indignantly from the table, grab your sheets, dice, and pencil, and walk away, mumbling something about "a bunch of that guys"
>>
>>54195235
Alot of the character arcs (and said villains) have been pretty cool. Except for the Thordak, that was a major let down.

But totally in agreement that certain individuals need to take a major step back and others need to step up. This goes in part with the Travis needs a character with INT as not the dump stat. We've already seen him be a pretty good smart guy (as Tarvis the Half-Orc Rogue)
>>
>>54195328
epic projection bro, you're really helping your case here
>>
>>54195260
Sorry we don't want to hear about whatever autistic bullshit you're spouting and want to instead focus on the game
>>
>>54195268
>>54195332

I'll hand it to you, when Matt wants to play a vicious fucking villain, he knows how to play one that isn't pulling any punches. They only survived the second Raishan fight because of Feeble Mind.

Tarvis the Rogue cemented in my mind that Travis is far smarter than he plays, which only makes me a bigger fan. Him and Sam, double teaming again, would be amazing if they're the ones leading as smart, intelligent people.
>>
>>54195347
sorry you're too autistic to be in the conversation with friends

oh wait, they probably avoid talking directly to you
>>
>>54195332
the problem with thordak is that the arc was going on for too long, and by bypassing the entire city, he wasn't actually that difficult, considering he was just one buffed up dragon

>>54195351
this is why i'm pretty excited for the final vecna fight. matt plays casters ruthlessly, and the vecna they already faced was pretty damn powerful; i'm not sure if these boons are going to be enough to beat an even more powerful vecna
>>
>>54195351
Travis should play a psion

Sam should play a swashbuckler
>>
>>54195409
they squashed his eye, that probably severely weakened him, knowing matt
>>
i think you guys are hyping travis up too much, he's smart but he's also never played dnd before. some light spell casting would be good for him, but mostly keeping with martial fighting because he obvious prefers physical combat. either EK, paladin, or bladelock would be best
>>
>>54195463
obviously it would take some learning, but they would be starting a new campaign over at like level 2
i'm pretty sure this is sam's first foray into dnd and he's been a clutch spellcaster for the entire show
the main important thing is that travis can lead this band of mostly retarded people
>>
>>54195409
Honestly I didnt have a problem with the length of the dragon arc. The thing i disliked about the Thordak fight (while i'll agree, bypassing the city threats while smart overall, was a bit anticlimactic) was the fact that this overwhelming colossus of a dragon got deflated so quickly in the fight from the giant 'hit the weak spot for max damage' spot on his chest and instantly retreats into death. It just took all the danger out of the fight that could've been so much more grand.

>>54195416
Honestly I'd rather Taliesin or Laura go Swashbuckler (probably Laura since she wanted to go rogue to begin with but Liam beat her to it)

I think Sam, would be great as a Mastermind, namely since its not combat focused, but will probably go caster of some sort
>>
travis roleplay is repeating "bend the knee" sixteen times in one conversation. Playing a retard is easy and he's been getting praise for it while the others have to put actual thinking into their improv and get flamed
>>
>>54195409
>considering he was just one buffed up dragon

That was the main problem with Thordak. He had the heart of a fire titan embedded in his chest but all that did was cast Enlarge on him.

I wanted to see Thordak spitting out fire elementals and then eating them later to regain health. I wanted to see that wherever Thordak slammed his tail or his foot, lava flowed in its wake. Thordak could've been so fucking cool but Matt did nothing but increase his hp.
>>
>>54195497
the most unfortunate part about that was i'm fairly certain they only saw the gem because matt incorrectly rolled a spell attack for gilmore's disintegrate instead of a saving throw which thordak could have auto succeeded
might have been a completely different fight
>>
>>54193004
Yup, and her hair was originally black. Turned white when they resurrected her in the home game.
>>
Vex becomes champion of a god because she spoke to him in a dream once, won a race, and had her friends say nice things about her.

Pike has been doing Sarenrae's will for her whole life, rebuilding Sarenrae's following, dedicating her life to her god.

Vax had to pledge his life and soul to the Raven Queen to get her "blessing."

Shit's fucked. What's the point of even playing a religious character when some edgy agnostic/atheist asshole can fuck around and still wind up with the favor of a god?
>>
>>54195799
It's an unfortunate gamey situation where they need these upgrades to take on Vecna, but the outlet for these buffs doesn't really make that much sense for most characters. I'll be fucking pissed if Keyleth gets any boon, that dumb bitch has been "doubting" the gods in a world where their power obviously exists, probably a delayed angsty reaction to growing up in Kentucky
>>
>>54195799
Vex isn't suddenly a fucking cleric or paladin. Calm down
>>
>>54195799
Everyone must feel special because they're special snowflakes; just because some sacrifice time and devotion towards their goal doesn't mean everyone shouldn't get another special McGuffin!
mfw they cry getting blessed by make-believe gods when there's a real one they could actually experience if they weren't so (((progressive)))
>>
>>54195799
I am fairly sure that Pelor's boon was intended for Percy. It's his land and his family that is tied to Pelor, it would've made far more sense.
>>
>>54195852
Welcome to epic level D&D where everyone is a fucking snowflake.
>>
>>54195799
I don't know how did Drizzt end up becoming the favored champion of Lolth?
>>
>>54195874
Nah, Percy is getting Ioun. She has the plans for the God sealing device. He's gonna have to build it
>>
>>54195896
I am pretty sure Scanlan will be Ioun's champion. He definitely has Ioun stone on him, and I'm pretty sure Mythcarver has something to do with her too
>>
>>54192672
Yes, because memorizing a 4 hour script every goddammed week on top of having an actual job is easier than improvising.

I mean, Matt probably asks ahead of time if anyone has anything they would like to accomplish in the next episode, especially on the down time centric ones, and he scripts what he is going to do, but I highly doubt everything is expertly choreographed. Do you really think he planned from Kevdak to be frozen solid for almost the entire fight?
>>
>>54192868
I've always imagined Scanlan as being swarthy, so him being darker seems fine to me. But I always pictures elves, and by extension half elves, as being very pale.
>>
>>54193875
Have you seen the Deadlands oneshot they did? He was phenomonal. Travis is probably the best actor there.
>>
>>54195874
This isn't the first time I think something was intended for Percy but someone else got it instead. I think he was originally considered for the Deathwalkers Ward to go with his whole plague bird mask before Vax made his pledge.
>>
>>54196339
pretty sure matt confirmed that somewhere, and like you said, it makes sense
interesting how failing to check for traps once changed the entire arc of a character
>>
>>54193222
It's not even a valid excuse. She plays her character backward, like she's high cha, low wis. She is constantly trying to be diplomatic even when it is obvious it won't work, which a wise person would see, especially if they knew they weren't great at words. Generally someone who is low in Cha is either not good to look at, which isn't the case, is cold and uncaring, which she definitely isn't, softspoken or weakwilled, again not how she plays.

Meanwhile, a character with high wis wouldn't jump of a 200 foot cliff in to rocky waters below unaided and expect to survive. And I really don't need to give any more examples than that.
>>
>>54195834
>'ll be fucking pissed if Keyleth gets any boon, that dumb bitch has been "doubting" the gods in a world where their power obviously exists

This. She doesn't deserve anything.

I'm hoping Matt atleast makes her jump through several hoops to get her boon from Melora. Let's be honest it's almost a certainty that she'll get one from Matt. Watch it be the most broken and overpowered of all of them I mean she got the Inspiring Leadership feat despite not showing any leadership qualities most of the adventure.

I'm really looking forward to the next campaign when she debut her next character. Which show do you think she'll rip off this time or do you think she'll dip into the Avatar universe again?
>>
>>54195834
For fucking real. Many druids serve Gods. I wouldn't be surprised if the priests of Melora(?) are druids or at least multi-classed druids.
>>
>>54196495
>Watch it be the most broken and overpowered of all of them
Of course it will be. Gotta satisfy the DM's girlfriend or he'll be sleeping on the couch.
>>
>>54196533
I'd be surprised if he isn't sleeping on the couch right now since she didn't get Pelor's Boon by trying to swipe it like a greedy/undeserving toddler
>>
>>54196495
Hi my name is Ebony Dark’ness Dementia Raven Way and I have long ebony black hair (that’s how I got my name) with purple streaks and red tips that reaches my mid-back and icy blue eyes like limpid tears and a lot of people tell me I look like Amy Lee (AN: if u don’t know who she is get da hell out of here!). [[I’m not related to Gerard Way but I wish I was because he’s a major fucking hottie. I’m a vampire but my teeth are straight and white. I have pale white skin. I’m also a witch, and I go to a magic school called Hogwarts in England where I’m in the seventh year (I’m seventeen). I’m a goth (in case you couldn’t tell) and I wear mostly black. I love Hot Topic and I buy all my clothes from there. For example today I was wearing a black corset with matching lace around it and a black leather miniskirt, pink fishnets and black combat boots. I was wearing black lipstick, white foundation, black eyeliner and red eye shadow. I was walking outside Hogwarts. It was snowing and raining so there was no sun, which I was very happy about. A lot of preps stared at me. I put up my middle finger at them.
>>
>>54196374
You know of anyone to get the Deathwalker's Ward I felt it would've been better for Vex, if not Percy, seeing as those two almost keep dying the most.

If Percy's gunslinger class was able I'm surprised he didn't go for the other obvious Pelor option, the Dawmnmartyr armor, but I do like his usage of Cabals Ruin.
>>
>>54196443
>which isn't the case
well, if it's based off of marisha then i would say it is
also it was a thousand foot drop, and she thought a little gust cantrip would boost her to safety. i've never seen someone overuse a cantrip so incorrectly before

>>54196495
for some reason i didn't connect the avatar dots until she mentioned on something that it's her favorite show of all time, and then i realized how fucking blatant her ripoff is. she even has her home tribe the same as aang

>>54196533
which is funny, because if played correctly, she's probably the strongest character in the party, but she's too stupid to play it well
>>
>>54196550
To be fair, if my DM handed out a boon just having super fast fly speed, I'd probably yell at him too. That said, if Melora doesn't give Keyleth the middle finger for being an unfaithful, god-hot-swapping faggot then there's something seriously wrong.
>>
>>54193222
>What do you guys WANT to see them play in the next campaign?

Dungeon World so at least then the arbitrary, made up, lulz mother may I gameplay will be supported by the system.
>>
>>54196570
Well, Matt obviously had a vestige in mind for each character, and I think the only questionable one was whatever Percy would get, considering every other vestige really only worked for one character (I don't know if anyone but Pike would or could use heavy armor)
>>
>>54196561
Dear god you almost made me choke on my drink from laughing so hard.
>>
>>54196573
Despite being told by Matt over and over and over again that it does next to nothing. And I'm referring to the character art, which she looks better in, and I'm partial to redheads. It's her only redeeming quality.
>>
>>54196622
I mean, Keyleth is such a Mary Sue, why not become the Mary-est of Sues.
>>
>>54196621
Yea I kind of noticed it too. And I think you're right about Pike being the only one for the heavy armor. I had just wondered if the heavy armor would factor into gunslinger being a fighter archetype after they brought it over from PF
>>
>>54196561
That is some **OLD** copypasta...

Well done.
>>
>>54196495
>>54196533
>>54196597
Of course she'll get a boon and I'll still be upset about it regarding everything you guys have pointed out, but there is a compromise that (might) be possible if Matt is brave enough for Marisha's autism.
If Melora completely chews out Keyleth for being such an agnostic and vindictive blasphemer and Keyleth actually repents or something, she grants her a one-time version of the normal boon so that she'll get her instant-gratification for a free power up, while everyone else around her gets to keep their boons for not being Keyleth. If this happened, I'd consider it a fair process.
>>
>>54196684
I'd be cool with it though I'd rather everyone but Pike lose their boons at the end. Let's be honest, none of them fully deserve them. Not even Vax, since a) he's on borrowed time and b) his constant early on hissys about having to actually follow through with his oath to 'the Raven Bitch'
Seriously this used to bug me so much
>>
>>54196684
Something tells me that she'll earn yet another unearned upgrade just because.

Just like getting the inspirational speech boon after completing her Avatar quest despite her being a bumbling indecisive idiot.

And yes, it'll probably be crazy stupid powerful, just like the Melora Staff that she got basically for free because the demon it resided in got killed in the white dragon fight.

Keyleth has literally earned nothing that she has been given in game.
>>
>>54196732
Very true, legit worshippers are the only ones who deserve legit boons
>>54196747
She is millennial culture incarnate; no work, all play
>>
i like talking about this show here because the overly positive nerd culture associated with the fanbase sickens me
people are honestly suggesting that marisha tried to take the boon to motivate laura to take it instead

>>54196747
i like how matt would talk about how much he regretted giving scanlan an item that increased his spell dc, and then he gives marisha an item that increases spell dc in addition to all the other incredibly powerful effects
>>
>>54196768
Same, the tumblrinas have nothing else to discuss besides making disgusting fan art and (((good vibes)))
>>
>>54196768
Yea I've noticed Matt makes greater strides to point out when Sam has his cone out or not.
What's worse than his cone is that Scanlan has a great vestige and it's basically a paperweight.
>>
>>54196827
scanlan is so much more useful as a spellcaster that the only part of his vestige he can realistically use is the improved cutting words effect
>>
>>54196766
I wouldn't even say that she's a typical millennial, although technically she probably is in the right age range.

The problem is that she's a poor player, is utterly clueless about how to play even after 100+ weekly sessions, and has barely grown as a character over that time.

Add in the fact that she's getting married to the DM, and you start to understand why her character might be getting advantages she didn't earn.

Although I'd have to question how much this game is actually effecting their relationship. And vice-versa.
>>
>>54196732
Yeah, as someone who really enjoys dieties related to death, Iit really bothered me that he was making all these assumptions about her without giving her a chance.
>>
>>54196859
the worst part is that she puts on this "oh come on" face to matt when she's put in a shit situation COMPLETELY of her own accord
the fact that she had the audacity bicker with matt after jumping off a THOUSAND FOOT CLIFF is just an incredible level of entitlement
>>
>>54196854
yeah, for sure. That is a major boon. I feel like the multiple attacks and the advantage on attacks is kind of just their for fluff. The disadvantage of saving throws has been so useful the other stuff doesn't really matter.

Would have been nice if maybe it gave him an extra inspiration instead of that other stuff.
>>
File: Matt Mercer is ruining D&D.png (160KB, 653x674px) Image search: [Google]
Matt Mercer is ruining D&D.png
160KB, 653x674px
Critical Role fucking sucks.
>>
File: Matt Mercer is ruining D&D pt 2.png (89KB, 1032x382px) Image search: [Google]
Matt Mercer is ruining D&D pt 2.png
89KB, 1032x382px
>>54196920
Marisha "Mary Sue" Ray is cucking Mercer with the faggot Warlock.
>>
>>54196920
[autistic screeching]
>>
>>54196910
Ugh I know exactly what you are referring to. It's such a sickening look. She didn't use to use it all the time, every once in awhile and it wasn't so bad cause it just seem like a venting of frustration like her 'pooper muffin'. Nowadays she says it every chance when things don't go her way
>>
>>54196910
Yeah, at that point I probably would have instituted the "Chunky Salsa" rule.

Anything that would do enough damage to reduce your character to the consistency of Chunky Salsa is automatically fatal. No death saving throws allowed.

Going over a cliff only slightly less tall than the Empire State Building?

Your character is now Chunky Salsa.
>>
>>54196969
well, technically she did immediately die, but matt let there be enough of a body for a fortunate revivify coin vex had
i think it would have been a hilarious and fitting end if she actually just died there for good
>>
File: IMG_2970.png (3KB, 284x115px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2970.png
3KB, 284x115px
>>54196931
>>54196920
>>
>>54196983
That's my point.

Imagine someone falls off of the roof of a 100 story tall skyscraper.

When they finally hit the pavement they break every bone in their body, spill their brains and blood across the sidewalk, and probably leave one hell of an impact crater.

Letting there be enough to revive was a true show of mercy, or perhaps spinelessness from Mr. Mercer when it comes to his fiancé's character.
>>
>>54196989
nice argument
>>
>>54196983
Truly a character defining moment for the 'great voice of the tempest'
>>
>>54196859
Yeah, she is definitely suffering from a case of "Fucking The GM" It's not really her fault. It's this sort of shared responsibility. Like the GM is obviously going to pull punches, whether he intends to or not, occasionally he'll make a point to go at her, but its an all or nothing thing. Usually the only damage she takes is multi target, or minions. So she is getting all this power and prestige without working for it, so she doesn't truly appreciate the gravity of it. It's like, you're more likely to take care of something you paid money for than something you got for free. Meanwhile, the other players don't feel comfortable saying anything to her because they don't want to get on the GM's bad side. And it doesn't help that the community shits on her as much as they do, because now they have to over-correct, telling her she is a good player and the criticism is unwarranted, even though it is, it's just stated in a hateful vitriolic manner. They're walking on eggshells. You can see it in Sam's eyes sometimes, he wants to tell her that she is being an idiot, but he knows better.

Example: https://youtu.be/PfvVssT83MU?t=4h29m7s
Context if you forgot, Scanlan is trapped in a pocket dimension, slowly drifting farther away. The portal to the dimension is in the center of the room. The IMMOVABLE ROD is already locked in place in the corner of the room. The infinite rope is already tied to the rodf, and is currently sitting on the ground a few feet from the portal. Rather than grabbing the rope and tossing it in to the portal, she walked right by it, deactivated the rod and moved it closer, meaning it would now need to be activated again and Scanlan was no closer to getting out of that pocket dimension. That slow blink and little headshake says everything. Not to mention the awkward silence in the room as you can sense everyone in the room silently screaming "WHAT ARE YOU DOING" inside their head.
>>
>>54197051
Lol. Definitely a player defining moment
>>
>>54197044
I mean, your entire argument is "People I don't like shouldn't be allowed to like the same things that I like" And clearly you've never watched an episode if you think the average run time is 2 and a half hours. You've made up your mind and no evidence will sway you otherwise, why even bother?
>>
>>54197058
I love that about Sam. He has no idea what he's doing and owns up to it, while jokingly calls out the others when they mess up or make questionable judgment calls. Whats funny is when they try to call out his 'ideas' they turn out to be some of his best plans
>>
>>54196914
It's not at its full power right now, so it still has one thing more that it can upgrade to.

Multiple attacks and advantage on attacks might be better for a Valor Bard using it, Sam plays a Lore Bard.
>>
>>54197131
Honestly I think he was just trying to give Sam a bit of Valor benefits (like he gave Laura Hunter archetype benefits) to get him a bit more proactive in battles since most of his spell choices are not offensive based, but utility.
>>
>>54197130
I wouldn't say that. I feel like he has a very good idea what he is doing. I think he just understands when coming up with a plan is ultimately pointless and flying by the seat of your pants is the best option. He's the false buffoon, a la Columbo. He acts more foolish than he actually is to make everyone underestimate him. I have a hard time deciding who is smarter, him or Travis. Travis clearly knows a lot about battle tactics.
>>
Do you guys hate turn timers that much? i have my players on a 3 minute limit, and they got their shit together really fast, and this is for 4e, not some bs DND-lite shit.
>>
>>54197203
in 4e i can see that being very needed
but i play 5e and by this point if my players dont have it down pact its just sad
Options as a wizard at like level 10
Fuck this guy shit in ways 1-10
Man its really hard to pick if i want to banish him or throw a fire ball at him or turn him into a slug jeez
meanwhile in fighter land
"can i trip him"
>>
>>54197203
4e is D&D lite shit.
>>
>>54197203
Nah, I myself don't know what's all the bickering is about. I introduced 1 minute timer for each of the player turns in combat, for noobs and tier4 campaigns alike, and it worked out perfectly. One annoying high-level wizard player took too much time to decide, lost his turn, then lost his shit and started shouting. Then the whole party tells him to shut up, despite being in deep shit all together, so there we go.
I also tend to run my games in 1-1.5 hour chunks with 5-10 minute breaks (mostly for smoking players, but generally it gives just enough time for players to hit the toilet, chat, check phones etc.)
>>
>>54197159
Well, that didn't work obviously.
>>
>>54197199
That's a fair argument.
>>
>>54197281
Lol true that. Which is a shame since the few times he's actually gone offense with a weapon he does fairly well
>>
>>54197246

4e is the most mechanically sound, so not to start an edition war, but Idk how having a codified and clear sense of crunchy rules, with comprehensive keywords, and a clear sense of what they want to do is the "lite shit" especially when compared to 5e. I mean if they hadn't had gone in and destroyed everything with that essentials crap. Besides 4e was the only version was good online tools that were official. I still have my DDI subscription lmao.
>>
>>54197270
Really, you just got to get people to focus on what is going on in the fight even if it isn't their turn. My older brother used to be in my D&D group and he would just zone out if it wasn't his turn, so every time it came around to him he had to catch up on what had happened before he could make a decision on what to do. GM started counting down from six if someone ho-ed and hummed too much and it took care of that problem real quick.
>>
>>54197304
I feel like with 4e they were trying to make a miniatures game, like Heroclix. And in order for a game like that to work, balance is key. Which is why all of the classes felt the same, because they were balanced to such a fine degree that there wasn't any room left for flavor. Like any food that's lite, if its low in calories, its because its low in flavor.
>>
>>54197387

>Which is why all of the classes felt the same, because they were balanced to such a fine degree that there wasn't any room left for flavor.

I really don't get why people say stuff like that. A lot of powers give good fluff though the usage of the rules.

Like, looking at the summoning powers, as that's a very narrow area:

>Demon summoning powers are generally more powerful than other summons BUT their intrinsic nature (What they do if they are not given orders that turn) is generally not ally friendly, with a Succubus dazing their own summoner or the bulkier demons attacking the nearest person (Not the nearest enemy). Demons need a strong hand to keep them in line.

>Artificer summoning doesn't have intrinsic nature. They are not sentient, they are purely under your control but the actions you get for commanding them are generally very powerful or they have passive effects (Like the healing totem)

>Druid summoning gives creatures that are not generally as fancy as Demon summoning but they are your friendly allies and can be left to their own devices. If not given orders they'll keep doing what they were doing or find another enemy (Not target) to go for.
>>
>>54197387

I gotta say I disagree on the no flavor thing, every power had a flavor description to go along with it's mechanical description, the assumption was you used the flavor description for out of combat, and the mechanical description for damage and conditions.
>>
>>54195525
All of matt's boss monsters are just hp bloated normal monsters. The worst i've seen is the beholder, it had higher HP, and got to regain HP. It's beams were literally the same.
>>
>>54197482
It's mainly in regards to Spellcasters. I never really felt like I as casting a spell. I felt like I was using an ability. You only got a handful of utility spells and most of them were still more aimed at combat, like fly. There's no zone of truth of Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion. You are given very little choices to make, and a lot of them were chosen for you. If you chose Protecting Paladin instead of Avenging, chances are you're going to ignore any ability that relies on Charisma, which only gives you one option for your daily power. That's not the only thing. The stripped down skills mean less room to define who your character was and what they were good at.

I don't mean flavor it terms of what their attacks look like, or what their fighting style is like, or any of that. I mean flavor in terms of who your character is and hwat makes them unique.

It just feels like all the emphasis is on combat instead of roleplay. Sure, you can make the arguement that you don't need all that stuff for roleplaying, but there is something deeply satisfying about playing a Bard who can lie his way out of anything because he Bluff bonus is over 20

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate 4e. Out of everyone in my gaming group, I have the highest opinion of it. I really enjoyed the combat, I felt it was really strategic and dynamic. But outside of combat it just felt dull and lifeless.
>>
>>54197546
I understand why he doesn't do it, because it is a very delicate process to craft or alter a pre-existing monster and make sure its still something the party can handle, and its probably not something he has time for. Doing a static HP increase is the easiest way to be sure its a challenge for the larger than average party without being a death trap. Wish he would collaborate with people to help make interesting monsters so he can focus on the story, the presentation, and his actual job.
>>
>>54197665

>There's no zone of truth of Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion.

Those are both rituals in 4e.

Oddly enough, I felt the opposite. With a lot less instant-cast spells to replace skills, I felt that your skill choices mattered more and since all characters use 2 stats, they had a lot more versatility.
>>
File: Sea Serpent.png (95KB, 464x879px) Image search: [Google]
Sea Serpent.png
95KB, 464x879px
>>54197694
Having just gone through the process, its easier than it looks. Choose a CR you want, throw your ideas into the closest shell, add/subtract stats and attacks, find appropriate numbers, make sure fluff is in order.

I made this as a low level boss monster for my last session, started at red wyrmling and built from there.
>>
>heard of CR for a long time but never watched it
>this thread convinced me to try it
>first episode is about 3 hours of pure cringe
Does it get better? How can anyone watch 100+ episodes of this?
>>
>>54198487
it has it's ups an downs. it's mostly good with some fucking awesome moments.

the show gets a lot better once the bald guy leaves around episode 20
>>
>>54198487
They find their footing pretty quickly.

The storylines are entertaining, as are the inter-personal interactions.

Some battles can drag a bit, but there are some truly epic and entertaining ones as well.

Around episode 25 the main problem player, Orion, either leaves or was kicked out. We never get any real details, but I get the feeling he was kicked out.

The other problem player, Marisha, unfortunately sticks around since she's boinking the DM. Be prepared for her character to experience almost zero growth over the course of the series, and to receive boosts that she really didn't earn such as the Inspiring Leader boost, when her character is an indecisive mess with no self confidence or leadership abilities. All because she completes a her personal quest line which is a blatant knock-off of The Last Airbender.

But if you can look past that, you're in for some entertaining characters and storylines.

Also, just skip over all the segments where they receive gifts from the fans.
>>
>>54198487
it's one of those things where you have to wade through a lot of shit until it gets going, and unfortunately the episodes are long as fuck so it kinda takes forever
you could honestly skip to like episode 27 and just read the synopsis until then and be better off
>>
>>54195852
You talkin' about Satan?
>>
>>54193222
A Cthulhu game of some sort, but it would just devolve into shitty comedy.
>>
>>54200388
i'm pretty excited for the potential one shots between campaigns, both in dnd and other systems
>>
>>54196108
Mythcarver is an Arcane artifact of The White Duke
>>
>>54200228
As I understand it Orion was essentially kicked due to heavy addiction problems and the effects those were having on his IC/OOC behavior. not that I actually give a shit though, tiberius was an annoying fuck.
>>
>>54201925
he also had cancer and contracted hiv
basically he was a huge dick and a huge mess
his twitter page is incredibly depressing, he cant let it go
>>
>>54201971
Yeah. I do feel bad for the guy in like a normal human empathy kind of way, but I honestly can't say that I miss his presence on the show at all.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170707-201821_01.png (610KB, 1080x1392px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170707-201821_01.png
610KB, 1080x1392px
>>54200228
>>
File: CqmDiWpVYAEDQD7.jpg (54KB, 750x886px) Image search: [Google]
CqmDiWpVYAEDQD7.jpg
54KB, 750x886px
>>54202271
>>
>>54192623
>be me
>have no idea what the fuck your all autisically screeching about
>look up critical role on youtube
>ep.1
>"Where nerd voice actors, blah blah blah blah blah blah"
>fuckthisgaynoise.wav
>ep.54
>something about fighting out of a beasts belly or asshole
>they break to open geekâ„¢ boxes in the middle of a session because wew lads
>ep.56
>come along a bunch of people trying to escape a war(?) or something?
>RP is okay, probably helps their voice actors, its passable
>still cant get over I'm literally watching random assholes play D&D and that its boring as shit
>realize its ep.56
Has anyone fucking died yet?
like what the fuck, my own group has only done like 40~ hours or so and nearly had party members die every other session or so.
>>
>>54202380
quite a few deaths, matt has some rules for resurrections but so far every ritual has worked which is more luck than anything
>>
>>54202424
so whats with all the autistic screeching?
>>
>>54202441
i'm not sure what you mean
>>
>>54202503
that has to do with hatred of a single character, because she's a mary sue the dm's girlfriend, and terrible at rp and reading the room
>>
>>54202557
but she has 22 wisdom :^)
>>
>>54202271
Marisha is not a good player, and Keyleth is not a good character.

I'm sorry if that triggers you, but it's true.

And the sad thing is that over the course of the series I wanted to see Marisha improve as a player and Keyleth improve as a character.

Over the course of 100+ episodes neither of those things happen.

The "Inspiring Leader" is clueless ditz with zero confidence, zero charisma, and zero wisdom.

Marisha doesn't know what her spells actually do, or even what their names are. How many times does she say "Tree Stride" when she's actually talking about "Transport Via Plants"?

Even her in-character relationship with Vax is a joke. Liam is putting all the effort into that in-character relationship.

So yeah, I dislike the character. And I think the player is clueless.

But I don't actually hate Marisha or Keyleth.

I **want** to like them. I want to enjoy all the cast and all the characters.

But right now, Marisha and Keyleth are the biggest problems I have with a web show that I otherwise enjoy.

>>54202577
>22 Wisdom

Well, she sure doesn't play it that way.

22 Wisdom should be Famous Philosopher level.

Not clueless ditz.
>>
>>54202380
No permanent deaths, but a significant number of resurrections have happened.

Pretty much everyone has died at least once, and several have died two or 3 times.

But no one has yet died and stayed dead.
>>
>>54202612
it's interesting how the show has both the zenith and nadir of rping to a character's stats, with tiberius getting an honorable mention for being worse than keyleth, albeit for a shorter time

>>54202667
i really hope vax stays dead after his revenant task, maybe keyleth can go jump off a cliff and be with him forever
>>
>>54202718
>keyleth can go jump off a cliff

She's already gone and done that.

It didn't stick.

It really should have, but it didn't.
>>
>>54202718
>the show has both the zenith and nadir of rping to a character's stats

The best example is Grog's INT. Travis has to put in a lot of effort to usefully contribute to planning and strategy because he has to oversimplify everything to the level of Grog's ability to actually explain what he's thinking.

And then there is Marisha who seems to think a high WIS character can be played as a clueless fool who constantly makes poor decisions in and out of character.

As for Tiberius, he was a munchkin power-gamer, meta-gamer, and tried to call in a dragonborn army to side-step an entire story arc that was purposely built as the personal quest of another character.
>>
>>54202952
that's what i was implying, grog is the pinnacle of playing to your stats, while keyleth is the worst and tiberius was the worst
dumb keyleth just wants to be aang
>>
>>54203013
>keyleth just wants to be aang

A Monk with the Way of the Four Elements probably would have been a better choice than a Druid.
>>
>>54203080

A Four Elements monk is never a better choice than anything.
>>
>>54203080
Four Elements monks are p. bad tho'
>>
>>54202441
On the part of /tg/, you mean? Most of the really vitriolic opposition to it on here is basically just the typical 4chan "no one's allowed to have fun differently than me" shtick. The show itself does have its issues, Keyleth/Marisha being one of the standout ones. But, ultimately, the show has moved from "livestreaming our personal DnD session for kicks" to "being curators of a narrative in which fans are invested", which are two very different things that carry with them two very different sets of expectations regarding realism, difficulty, faithfulness to rules, penalties, etc.

>>54203080
I think they started the campaign in PF (hence Percy's gunslinger archetype); dunno if such a thing even existed in that framework.
>>
>>54203114
>>54203105
Im just saying, if she wanted to go full Avatar that fits the theme better than a Druid does.
>>
>>54203632
It does thematicly but sadly it doesn't play that way. You burn through Ki points way too fast with RAW. I've seen some home brews where they try to add more abilities and bring down some of the cost but more often than not those Ki points are better spent on basic monk skills like flurry of blows.

And we'd probably hear more keyleth screeching when the skills don't work the way she thinks they do. "But in the cartoon, so-and-so can do this..."
>>
>>54197058
At what time did that happen? I don't want to wade through the whole thing to find it
>>
File: bmt.jpg (47KB, 500x352px) Image search: [Google]
bmt.jpg
47KB, 500x352px
>>54205146
You can see the time in the link
>4h29m7s
4:29:07
>>
>>54205465
Oh whoops, thanks anon
>>
>>54205465
I think its great, you can tell just how much less able Sam and Travis have been able to contain their obvious irritation as the game progresses. The vast majority of it pointed at Marisha.

On the flip side, now that Vex has actual character, Travis gets super happy when she's having fun or being lewd, which is amazing.
>>
>>54193976
>marish-death, if not anything that doesn't talk so champion fighter or barbarian so she doesn't RP as much as humanly possible

She praised the "into your face" fighter concept as enjoyable to play during the stream of annihilation. So she seems to be aware she can't handle spellcasters. So there something to hope for.

>Ashley- out of the comfort zone so something in the face or more chaotic so maybe a mad wizard or something
Mostly she should be a recurring guest player, not a party member. Not blaming her for giving her acting jobs a higher priority, but somewhere a line must be drawn.
Then she also could play whatever.

>Laura- not annoying, so warlock or something
Nothing about her class is annoying - that stems from character traits any class could have. Actually not only traits, but flaws and to be honest, at least I wouldn't like characters without flaws. That would be a lot worse than being occasionally annoying.
>>
>>54194707

Yeah, just ignore everything on GnS except Critical Role. The only other thing I found bearable was Dread, everything else is utter shit.
>>
>>54195499

While I also think he has much more to show than Grog allows most of the time, it really is different when you have to pull of a more complex character all the time. I guess many people are going to be dissapointed during the next campaign - even though because they themselves put to much coal into the hype train.
>>
>>54208328
Shield of tomorrow isn't bad ether, it's clear the entire cast are pretty big Trekkies, tho Hector is a dull captain, and clearly a TOS or bust kind of fan, and the black girl might be the weakest link on that part, as she is playing the Vulcan Science office but looks mystified by the techno-babble everyone's spouting. It was just the first EP so that might change. (Also naming the Intrepid -Class ship the Sally Ride is both SJW friendly and very fitting for that class of ship.)
>>
>>54208540
>as she is playing the Vulcan Science office but looks mystified by the techno-babble everyone's spouting

I'm always a bit hesitant when I hear about anyone playing Vulcans. Few people can manage the wry sense of humour that Spock was great at. T'Pol just came across as a bitch when she tried it for example. Vulcans are logic tempered by morality and controlling emotion, not a complete lack of it.
>>
>>54208540

Noted. I might look into it.
>>
>>54208540
>naming the ship after yet another human space explorer

Has anyone else noticed how humanocentric this supposedly egalitarian Federation is?
>>
Has any playable character died yet?
>>
>>54208987
See
>>54202667
>>
>>54209079
> tfw only watched the first 13 or so episodes, before even baldy mclizardwizard left
> tfw only one person had died, before the campaign was put on display, and matt had said it was difficult to do
tbqh one resurrection is almost too much
>>
>>54209583
But what about the fanartists?
>>
My hope is that for next campaign they just have 5 players and Matt as DM. I'd like to see the cast shrink down to Matt, Taliesin, Travis, Laura, Sam, and Liam.

As much as I like Ashley as a player, I feel her being in NYC for 7-9 months of filming means she can't commit to the show like she could at the start. And I don't want to see Marisha at the table again unless she is playing something simple like a Rogue, Fighter, or Warlock. She gets overwhelmed with the options available to her as a high level Druid.
>>
>>54209583
I don't mind the resurrections.

The rituals are roleplayed well, and the chance for real failure is there.

But they've been insanely lucky so far when it comes to reviving dead comrades. Sometimes succeeding only by a single point above then target number.

One character specifically was given the option to choose to fail the resurrection ritual if it wasn't sufficiently well roleplayed and emotionally moving.

A new character was ready and everything, although it proved to be unnecessary.
>>
>>54209800
Ashley should be offered a spot as a recurring guest character in their next campaign.

That's what Pike has basically become anyway.

As for Marisha, I doubt we'll ever get rid of her. She's the DM's fiancé, so I'd imagine Matt can't exactly tell her she's no longer welcome.

Hopefully he can convince her to go with a character concept that is easier for her to play.
>>
>>54195499
I would say easy to learn, difficult to master. You can't go full retard, he does a good job of walking the line of believability that he is really dumb, but still smart enough to function and have a role. He's kind of an idiot savant. He knows how to fight, he knows how to plan, he knows strategy. A lot of people you see play dumb play it like they don't know anything, but you're supposed to blieve they are able to survive on their own in society.

Not to mention Travis is just an all around phenomenal actor. He crushes it beginning to end in 84. From the absolutely devastating resurrection ritual, to this little ineraction he had with Lady Kima. https://youtu.be/KiGoxBJQ_I0?t=2h22m15s

Also, if you haven't checked out the Deadlands One Shot, I highly recommend it. Marisha is terrible as always, but everyone else kills it. https://youtu.be/q0hjGf2bK08?t=7m5s
>>
>>54209926
>lucky
Matt won't let a character die unless they, or he, wants them to. OMG Nat 20, so lucky.
>>
Never seen the stream/show, how SJW is it? We talking Evergreen College or standard sessions with the guys (no politics, no racial slurs)?
>>
>>54211784
the actual show itself isn't that sjw, i'd say the closest moment was when one person kinda went off on an anti trump rant for like 30 seconds the day before the election
geek and sundry is sjw central, and most of the players are LA liberals, but it doesn't really bleed through that often
just don't read their twitters
>>
>>54211784
Ignore social media, ignore ad breaks, ignore show intro, and you're pretty safe.

Mercer has a tendency to slightly overdo tough women and has more strange/effeminate men than strong types, but its only really apparent if you watch for a while, and isn't intrusive, just notable.
>>
>>54211784
Pretty much what >>54211811 and >>54211886 said. Matt goes out of his way to make sure everyone is included, lesbian, gay, bi, a genderless dragon. Pretty much everything bout trans, because I would imagine that would be really awkward to shoehorn in to a character description. like "you see a woman with an adam's apple."
Pretty sure that would get people all triggered up. Though I'm sure within canon there is a character that is and just no one has asked them what they got in their pants yet.
>>
>>54212008
matt does it in a way that isn't too annoying, where it's usually just a part of a character instead of their entire character, but it is kinda annoying how every tough person seems to be a woman
>>
>>54212060
I've found he;s had an equal amount of tough men and women each, which is fine by me. He's also got the more demure men and women too.
>>
>>54212081
Tough women tend to be recurring, tough men are more often only sought out specifically by the party. Kima and the wizard lady have been around forever, but the crazy dwarf and guard captain are only relevant when the party wants them. Hell, even right now, Raishan and Lady Briarwood both outlived their male counterparts, and were tougher fights.
>>
The party is never in any danger, how does anyone slog through these sessions when everything is going to go their way every time?
>>
>>54212156
except for all the times they've been in mortal tpk danger
just because someone succeeds doesn't mean they're not in danger
>>
>>54212166
>except for all the times they've been in mortal tpk danger
You mean never? Anytime there is real danger, Matt gets looser with the rules/rolls, and they start winning or escaping. Vax had no right coming back, his whole solo bit was fucking awful and didn't make sense, but here we are.

Also, Marisha shouldn't have wanted him back, but she can't play a character so fuck it.
>>
>>54212129
Kima is tough but she's a halfling that's been around since the Underdark. Allura is crazy fucking demure and soft spoken. The players liked these characters so they sought them out and asked for them.

Raishan is a manipulator who used the party to help kill Thordak, so of course she was going to outlive him. It being a female dragon is inconsequential. If anything, her being the smallest and being a manipulator is an argument against her being the depiction of a tough female character. Barring being a dragon, she has feminine narrative roles written all over her.

As for Delilah. She survived because necromantic bullshit, probably a Clone spell or maybe she's now a Lich. Who knows really. Again though, she's a manipulating feminine spellcaster who at one point literally existed for her husband. Now she existed for another male figure, Vecna.

You get as many women that are in traditional female roles and depictions as you don't. They probably stand out to you because they're exceptions to what you expect.
>>
>>54212231
kevdak
raishan
kraken
vecna
>>
>>54212231
I mean most major fights. They've gotten lucky with their revive rolls. Plus, at the level they're at now death is inconsequential. That's a problem of high level D&D rather than the campaign.

I mean, Vax could have remained dust, they would have gone to Kraghammer, got the diamonds, and True Ressurected him.

Instead Matt found something more interesting to do with the character, and made him a Revenant.
>>
>>54212234
I actually don't take issue with it, but I challenge you to come up with a comparative list of "strong" characters and not to find a bias. It's noticeable, but not a problem.

>>54212253
>They totally stopped because Grog hit last, and that isn't just something i'm saying after the fact
>She TOTALLY failed repeated concentration checks, and needed to maintain greater invisibility
>I'm gonna let you hit the tentacles, and not damage the creature, because you fucks are retarded
>Go ahead and counterspell after knowing what happened, thats how it works

Matt rules for a narrative, and that narrative demands the characters living. If they ever actually die, it'll be story relevant.
>>
>>54212277
Keyleth, supposedly, is anti-resurrection. That then became, well it's ok to just revive the body, that's almost natural. And now it's, I HAVE TRUE RESURRECTION!
>>
>>54212286
It's almost like she's a conflicted character who weighs her personal natural philosophy against her selfish desires to have her boyfriend back, and may break her own moral codes to fufill them.
>>
>>54212286
at this point i just ignore anything involving consistency and logic when it comes to keyleth
>>
>>54212299
It's almost like Marisha just plays Marisha, or Drunk Marisha.
>>
>>54212234
Not to mention every dwarf they've come across has been the stereotypical burly, beer swigging, surly macho type. Earthbreaker Groon is in a league all his own. You add up all the strong women and you still don't come close to him.
>>
>>54212286
Well yeah. If she was truly against resurrection, her spirit wouldn't have come back after the whole goldfish off a cliff incident. She'dve remained dead. So of course now she has TR, just in case.
>>
>>54212278
>They totally stopped because Grog hit last, and that isn't just something i'm saying after the fact

Yes, that was the case. Too much of a cynic to believe that?

>She TOTALLY failed repeated concentration checks, and needed to maintain greater invisibility

Yes, entirely possible. She has to roll like PCs and she only has so many legendary resistances.

>I'm gonna let you hit the tentacles, and not damage the creature, because you fucks are retarded

It's almost as if he wanted the Kraken to actually be a big fucking deal?

>Go ahead and counterspell after knowing what happened, thats how it works

What with Vecna? That's Sam playing smart. Not Matt.
>>
>>54212299
Whoa, you mean fans of Keyleth actually exist? Well, we can call an end to the oppression olympics. we now know who has the worst life ever.
>>
>>54212337
I don't buy for a second, that if someone else just happened to last hit Kevdak, that the horde would have descended. It's not even interesting, its just flat bad DMing to make something like that entirely random and arbitrary.

Raishan is the least offensive of the fights, but it WAS incredibly boring. It also just served to further prove that those boots are secretly the best of the artifacts.

The kraken is a much, MUCH, bigger deal if you can't just smack its grappling tentacles. It's so damned big that cutting through one is tougher than cutting through Grog, treat it that way. If they wanted to get them free, use FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT.

Counterspell is cast as a reaction, and stops a spell from occuring, using it retroactively is total bullshit. Mind you, i don't blame Sam here, but Matt needs to start saying "X begins casting a spell", at which point Sam can tell him, counterspell, and at what spell level, or not. Once it happens, you can't go back and undo it.
>>
>>54212348
Don't get me wrong, there are some serious cringe moments and shit that's just "LoL D&D" that she's the fault of, but I don't think she's as bad as people think she is.
>>
>>54212377
the only retroactive counterspell was for a disintegrate, which didn't even matter in the long run as vax got beamed immediately
>>
>>54212399
You are misremembering, the SECOND disintegrate was retroactively counterspelled, after saying specifically that VEX had also turned to dust. Both twins were gone.
>>
>>54212377
>I don't buy for a second, that if someone else just happened to last hit Kevdak, that the horde would have descended. It's not even interesting, its just flat bad DMing to make something like that entirely random and arbitrary.

So you accuse Matt of pulling punches to make things interesting, and then say flat out killing them with the horde is bad DMing. Yet, we had a similarly dire situation with the chain golem in Hell because if Keyleth died they would be stuck there, and that was interesting and tense as fuck. Not even Matt realized how dire the situation really was until that point when they all that "oh fuck" moment.
>>
>>54212421
oh, i agree with you then, it is kinda dumb in that case, but scanlan should have been more on top of things in the first place
>>
>>54212432
No, what's bad DMing is relying entirely on a random occurrence for total success or failure. It's no different than relying entirely on a successful skill check to progress, it isn't interesting, it just is pass/fail for the campaign via d20. The Kevdak fight was pretty interesting, but that claim is just a blatant lie that is extremely transparent.
>>
>>54212421
>SECOND disintegrate was retroactively counterspelled, after saying specifically that VEX had also turned to dust

I don't remember that at all. I remember her not being dusted by a miscalculation in HP, and retconned into not because she had more HP than disintegrate flat out kills you for.
>>
>>54212455
>No, what's bad DMing is relying entirely on a random occurrence for total success or failure.

Do you even play D&D?

Again, you make accusations that Matt is leaving things to be too random, but then you also accuse him of being too soft, pulling punches and forcing narrative.

Yet both make a bad DM? Make up your goddamn mind.
>>
>>54212482
You seem to have no idea what I actually said, which is that he DIDN'T leave it to chance, and it's transparent that saying he did so, after the fact, was a lie.

If he HAD left it entirely up to chance, it would have been bad DMing, because the situation made no sense. It was ok for all of them to fight, but suddenly wrong to deal the final blow? It doesn't work.

I also said he has other issues, specifically that he rules in favor of narrative, which in no way contradicts the LACK OF RNG above that i stated.
>>
>>54212458
I'm trying to find it on the vod, but i'm having a hard time. I'm almost entirely certain it was a retroactive counterspell, specifically one that was NOT cast with a higher level slot, and thus Sam had to make a roll for it to succeed.
>>
>>54212540
>If he HAD left it entirely up to chance, it would have been bad DMing

So he's a bad DM if does leave it to chance, and he's a bad DM if he doesn't?

Again, make up your mind.
>>
>>54212553
I feel like it was on vax because i remember matt rping that foresight gave him a glimpse into his future of being turned to ash, but i could be wrong, and i cant be bothered to go through the vod to find it
>>
>>54212553
I recall that happening, but I thought that was for the Power Word Kill on Pike.
>>
>>54212398
No, she kinda is exactly that bad.

Clueless, indecisive, makes split-second decisions that screw herself and the party over, receiving bonuses that she didn't earn.

Percy was exactly right when he said "Oh look, a metaphor!" After Keyleth face-planted into lava during the first Raishan battle.
>>
>>54212561
Alright, so you are deliberately being obtuse.

>>54212571
Nah, cause Pike came back via her armor
>>
>>54212571
I'm pretty sure pike's armor saved her from the power word kill, at least that's how it was ruled even though technically her armor only saves when she goes unconscious, not straight up dies
>>
>>54212582
>Alright, so you are deliberately being obtuse.
I'm not.

You're bringing a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

He's a shit GM because he doesn't leave things to chance and plays entirely for narrative.

Yet he's also a shit GM if he DOES leave things to chance.

Also technically, saying that they would not have stopped if Grog didn't get the killing blow isn't leaving things to chance either. It's a specific narrative condition that needs to be met. With Kevdak dead, and Grog almost dead, they very well could have survived the fight with major losses.
>>
>>54212337
The river clan, or whatever the fuck they were called were only there because they got beat by Kevdak so they were beholden to him. The second he dies, its off. They don't have to keep fighting. The goliaths, I'm sure, were only following their leader. Pretty sure they would rather be out roaming rather than cooped up in a city, but they did it because Kevdak told them to. Kevdak is dead, they no longer have to. They were loyal, but they weren't fanatics. They honored their leader's wish, but once he is dead, that all grinds to a halt.

Narrative beats mechanics. The mechanics are there to help tell the story, and if they get in the way of a cool story, they aren't doing their job correctly. If you can't excuse whatever problems you have with that fight in the face of the raddest fucking killing blow in the show's history, you just need to chillax my friend. He cleaved him in twain with his own axe. It's fucking radical. If I had been running that encounter and Kevdak still had hit points remaining after that hit, I would have just fudged the numbers. Made for a much more memorable ending than Percy shooting him.
>>
>>54212630
No, you are presenting a false dichotomy.

It's entirely possible to play as the dice fall, without creating a scenario which entirely relies on a single random occurrence, such as Grog last hitting Kevdak.
>>
>>54212632
>The river clan, or whatever the fuck they were called were only there because they got beat by Kevdak so they were beholden to him. The second he dies, its off. They don't have to keep fighting. The goliaths, I'm sure, were only following their leader. Pretty sure they would rather be out roaming rather than cooped up in a city, but they did it because Kevdak told them to. Kevdak is dead, they no longer have to. They were loyal, but they weren't fanatics. They honored their leader's wish, but once he is dead, that all grinds to a halt.

You're right about the River Clan, which is why they bailed after the fight.

You're wrong about the Goliaths though. It's not the fact that Kevdack died, it'st he fact he was killed by some fucking mercenary that Grog the upstart brought along, and he expects their loyalty? Fuck that. Kill em all. With Kevdack dead, it was the old Green guy who was in charge, who wanted to execute the son. Since Grog got the killing blow, he proved his mettle and was given the choice by the Green guy, Grog killed the Green guy and made the son the leader, which further splintered shit if you recall.
>>
>>54212648
>single random occurrence, such as Grog last hitting Kevdak.

How is a specifically planned event a random occurrence exactly?
>>
>>54211677
why is the Deadlands game unlisted on G&S?
>>
>>54212783
I can watch it fine through the Geek and Sundry website.
>>
>>54212800
it's unlisted on youtube
>>
>>54212807
I'm watching it right now.

http://geekandsundry.com/deadlands-one-shot-with-members-of-critical-role/
>>
>>54192623
do people still watch this trash?

if you're waiting for it to get good, good luck I feel bad for you
>>
>>54212814
i'm saying on youtube, not the G&S website
>>
>>54212828
They host the videos on youtube and unlist them then link them to you Geek and Sundry website so you need to watch them there. They do the same with episodes of Critcal Role, and put them off unlisted when it's time to "release" them.
>>
Can someone describe their personal hate for this show without mentioning the fanbase, how "ITS ALL SCRIPTED YOU SHEEPLE", or disliking the players?
At it's core it's a long lasting game with a focus on characterization, and anytime someone criticizes it (it's got its obvious flaws) the criticism sounds like someone mad normies are invading their safe space.
>>
>>54212231

> Vax had no right coming back
Matt's solution was more interesting than True Ressurection imho.

>Also, Marisha shouldn't have wanted him back, but she can't play a character so fuck it.
It's a good set-up in theory: the "circle of life/ no ress" druid which gets in trouble with their own premise as soon as it hits a loved one.

But yeah, Marisha would have given it a half-assed "but.... but... okay, I'll do it" and be done with it. Matt imho made the best with the situation and players he was given.
>>
>>54212867

I've had several new players who mention getting into D&D because of Critical Role.

They all have shitty, entitled expectations about what a D&D game should be about and what kinds of characters they can make. Almost all of them get super upset when things don't go their way, they cause conflicts with other party members over the dumbest shit and I have to admit enjoying shocking them out of this mentality.
>>
>>54212867
>describe why you hate the show
>but don't give any reasons I don't like
Well, this kind of mentality is a pretty good clue. Also what >>54215829 has said covers it a good amount. In the end, though, it's really not any better than any other live play session, and there's frankly no reason to have so many threads on /tg/ constantly shilling it.

They're useless threads because it's just a handful of posters driving most of the "discussion", which ends up just being variations of, "I like/hate what _____'s character did/does." A thread once in a while isn't an issue, but /tg/ has had a Critical Roll thread up almost constantly for the last several weeks. There is no need for this shit.
>>
File: 1492942305114.jpg (219KB, 775x734px) Image search: [Google]
1492942305114.jpg
219KB, 775x734px
>>54212867
I got you.

The game just isn't fun for me to watch. I don't dig the comedy, it isn't really that focused on characterization, and when it is, it is usually shit. Half the cast have terrible characters. The other half have terrible archetypes, such as the Fuck-Everyine-Slydog-Bard, or the Stupid-But-Lovable-Barbarian. That isn't anything new, it isn't anything groundbreaking, and it isn't anything deep.

To say that the characters of CR are well-developed is either a lie or an admission of literary ignorance on your part. The story isn't strong. The characters are one-dimensional soap opera stars rooted in shit comedy.

Matt is a fantastic DM, despite what this thread would lead most people to believe. He is just cursed with terrible players, and deserves better.

They are free to have fun, and people are free to enjoy it, but by no means is it quality in any way, shape, or form by MY standards.

Maybe I'm autistic though, so who knows.
>>
>>54215829
>entitled expectations about what a D&D game should be about

How so? Critical Role is certainly high level play, but the storylines haven't really been too off-base for what you can expect from D&D.

Mindflayers and beholders in the underdark, a a town under the control of vampires and the undead, dragon attacks on major cities, and some level-up quests along the way.

Seems like standard fantasy rpg fare to me.

>and what kinds of characters they can make

The only non-standard classes are Percy's Gunslinger and Taryon's Artificer. One being a homebrew, and the other being from Unearthed Arcana.

Everyone else is a class from the Player's Handbook.

And as far as races, only Grog as a Goliath is from outside of the PHB.
>>
>>54215965

For the record, I run an OD&D game. Things like not rolling for diplomacy or to search confuse and vex these kinds of newbie players. Other types of people who are more familiar with 3.5 adapt to this style of play quickly, but for some reason the Critical Role fans complain quite loudly about what a shitty way this is to play.

I think seeing celebrities play the game a certain way has instilled some kind of right way by example of authority mentality in them.
>>
>>54216043
>For the record, I run an OD&D game. Things like not rolling for diplomacy or to search confuse and vex these kinds of newbie players.

Well, that's the core of the problem right there.

They're expecting a 5e game, and you're running a completely different edition which might as well be an entirely different game all together.

That's not their fault, that's on you.
>>
>>54216215

>your critter players chose to play OD&D even though you told them from session 0 what it would be like and how it isn't 5th edition
>they bitch anyway
>explain how this isn't acceptable to critters
>durr that's on you, you should just run 5th edition

There's that Critter entitlement I mentioned.
>>
>>54216306
I'm just saying, it's not the same game.

They may have said. "Sure that's fine.", but they might have had zero clue what that actually meant for them being as they are brand new players.

Blaming them for being upset is unjustified since what they were expecting is not what they were looking for.

I have no idea how well or how poorly you explained the differences between the editions and how that effects gameplay, but it truly sounds like you as the DM and they as the players are looking to play two entirely different games.
>>
>>54216404
>is not what they were looking for.

*not what they got.
>>
>>54195463
>some light spell casting would be good for him, but mostly keeping with martial fighting because he obvious prefers physical combat.
So why not a ranger [ UA updated version duh]
He can still do combat but offer more skills as well, and at later levels he'll get access to spells as well [he could either go backup party healer or self heal/buff].
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.