[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rappan Athuk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: Orcus_TH.jpg (334KB, 869x490px) Image search: [Google]
Orcus_TH.jpg
334KB, 869x490px
sup /tg/, lurker here. So, yesterday i casually heard from a friend of this infamous dungeon of the older d&d editions. I'm seeking advice about it. Would it be possible to clear with a group of sufficiently skilled players, or is it kinda required to powerplay through it and/or to use any gimmicks like respawns?
>>
>>54189403
Tell them to come prepared (safety, powerplay, more cheese the better) Balls get smashed and that's before you end up up going deep.

Feel sorry for them when shit gets too real.
>>
>>54189403
Depends on which version you're running. If it's the Pathfinder one, then sure, a properly optimized group can steamroll through it. It's harder to powergame Swords and Wizardry though, because it's based in the OSR.
>>
>>54189403
newfag here, can i get a quick rundown on this dungeon?
>>
>>54189403
It's literally a massive Dungeon with a Nigh-accurate super rape-train Orcus at the end of it in 3.5 featuring an older Save or die D&D edition feel with better application of traps, and reinclusion of classic 2e monsters and templates, LIKE THE IMPORTANCE OF 2E JUJU ZOMBIES.

Juju zombies were in 3.5 (FR Unapproachable east) but they were shit, and the tomes of horrors monster splatbooks that accompany Necromancer Games and Rappan Athuk reloaded will surely assist you.

Also, if you want to Brush up on Orcus, Read the following pictured, as D&D 3.5 published him multiple times over.

There's the Book of Vile Darkness Orcus, Fined Folio, Hordes of the Abyss one and his aspect, and the better CR 32 Orcus, though to note, the best ones you want are the Dungeon magazine one for rules on his last word.

of course, Rappan Athuk has it's own Orcus, empowered by shrines to him which you have to destroy to stand a chance with his large CR and repetore of spells, but still.
>>
>>54189403
>100$ for a physical book
>>
>>54189839
yes, i was thinking about the pathfinder version.

>>54189932
i know right? Sucks that i'm kinda broke. I'll manage otherwise.
>>
Anyhow, I'm feeling generous, have some stuff.
https://volafile.org/r/cqnwehk8
I've uploaded them in reading order.
Slayer's guide to the Undead (Gary Gygax's mention of Orcus's origins)
(Throne of Bloodstone, Orcus's layer before the name and number was changed the Thanatos, features his old stats, what his wand can do, and the pain the ass to get rid of it involves, a lot of the terrain features of his layer remain in later editions)
(Great Modron March Orcus as Tennebrous, kills Prmius and replaces him)
(Dead Gods, Tennebrous questline, details visages, later found in 3.5, and Orcus's half-ogre servant who brings him back and is mentioned in later editions, also shows off more what his wand does to boot)
(Book of Vile Darkness Orcus in 3e, features thrall of Orcus PrC, named servants, and stats as he casts spells as a 9th level wizard in this one and has a CR just below his Dungeon magazine version)
(Fiendish Codex 1 Mention of the Abyss, Orcus's layer, Aspect of Orcus, and a weaker Orcus you never want to use overrall, also a cult and returning layer features of thanatos)
(Dungeon 149-150 Orcus V Demogorgon questline with alliance with Iggwilv, CR 32, very strong, has powers from Dead gods in 2e, technically most accurate)
(Libris Mortis 3.5 version of Orcus's Visages, mentions of his cult and Doresain and other stuff)
(Dragon Compendium Death Master base class, Orcus's favored servant base class who basically speaks in his name use for NPCs)
(Tomes of horor 1-3 + 1 revised, stuff for Rappan athuk)
(Rappan Athuk original and Reloaded
(Ghostwalk campaign setting with Orcus as a deity, noted for it's literally VTMB ghouls template and possibly taking place when Orcus became a god prior to getting killed off before Dead Gods)

https://volafile.org/r/cqnwehk8

You've now almost everything Orcus related you could want to learn all you need of him.
>>
>>54190092
There's also the Drow splinter faction and other Orcus related Dungeon Magazine questline, but trust me, you've a fill of Orcus related cults to deal with, already from these sources alone.

What I've missed out is-
>Tome of magic Tennebrous Vestige cult
>Monster manual Orcus-blooded template
>Red Widow and Black Duke
>Some other minor servants to the Demon Prince of the undead
>>
>>54190092
That's a LOT of stuff, thanks mate.
>>
>>54190183
Also, the guy on the right of this Picture? Said important reoccurring Half-ogre. Make sure you read dead gods.

To note, you'll want to pick and mix what you want for the final fight in Rappan Athuk, Orcus is literally the most broken-ass fucking Demon Lord in D&D next to Demogorgon, Literally has an ultimate killpharse, instakill wand that turns you evil and tries to turn you into a demon lord, acting as a beacon to attract encounters faster than the book of vile darkness, and limitless undead at his disposal.

Also was shown to have undead power armour in 2e Dragon magazine, making him even more powerful.

If you were planning on the ultimate PC fuckfest dungeon challenge, then a hombrew edit of Rappan Athuk reloaded is the way to go, featuring the best of all Orcus in 3.5, Death Masters, Evil Clerics, Warlocks, Dread Necromancers, Pale Masters, Thralls of Orcus, Liches with Salient abilities (monsters of faerun) Lichspells, lich artefacts and Vampires with Age categories from Ravenloft (He did summon some in one adventure at one point) (But that's the Sword and Sorcery Ravenloft collection, and even then, the 3.5 conversions were still incomplete, compared to the 2e source) so yeah.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.