[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tde/ The Dark Eye / Das schwarze Auge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: OP.png (356KB, 511x387px) Image search: [Google]
OP.png
356KB, 511x387px
"The Dark Eye" is a German PnP system which came into existence in 1984 and has been in continuous publication since then.
The current publisher "Ulisses Spiele" makes an effort to get the game into the American market.
The main setting is the continent "Aventuria" which is your typical fantasy world but with low magic and a strong (even rules wise) distinction between magic and godly powers.

The system is a 3d20 roll-under with 1d20 for combat and an "active parry" mechanic. More details are in the quickstart rules below.

More Information:
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/The_Dark_Eye
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Eye

Quickstart rules:
http://www.ulisses-us.com/thedarkeye/TDE-Quickstart%20Revised%2020160505_tm.pdf

There are a lot of German PDFs in Da Archive, probably some English ones too.

Have fun!
>>
>>54186370
first question.
is it a game that is married to it setting(like Shadowrun, or Dungeons the Dragoning, or Dark Heresy)

or can the system run in just any old universe with this Aventuria being just an optional example?
(like D&D, Traveler, or GURPS)
>>
File: Steineichenwald.jpg (162KB, 2000x953px) Image search: [Google]
Steineichenwald.jpg
162KB, 2000x953px
In recent news:
Their third kickstarter "The Warring Kingdoms" still has 8 days left featuring the first regional expanion of the current 5th edition: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1216685848/warring-kingdoms-the-dark-eye-rpg
The stretch goals include dice, short adventures, regional music and a comic set in the region.

Meanwhile in Germany:
In the "Bornland" a fantasy-Russia within Aventuria, elections were held (only the nobles got to vote; it's not a democracy, stupid) and players could determine the outcome per web-survey. The results will be published by 2017-07-27.
>>
>>54186803
It's like you said, it's near impossible to use it with another setting. The world has a lot of variation (as in "flying moneys with lasers") if you leave aventuria, but that's about it. Though I do have a (currently domant) campaign where we use homebrewed mods to play scifi set in the same universe.
>>
>>54187042
so I can't run it in a generic fantasy setting?

or does it just need a couple of setting elements?
>>
File: KarmanathKampf.jpg (85KB, 1240x591px) Image search: [Google]
KarmanathKampf.jpg
85KB, 1240x591px
>>54186803
>>54187042
The authors followed a concept they called "phantastic realism" where they adopted as much setting details as possible into rules.
They overdid it and sort of fixed it in 5th ed.
>>54187137
You'd have to replace most of the crunchy elements (professions, items, liturgies) as many of them are weaved into the setting. I'll scrape some examples together in a moment.
If you're only interested in the core rules then it's definitely possible, but many might argue that result won't be tde anymore.
>>
>>54187290
>phantastic
> realism
this is the greatest lie ever told about tde, there are plenty of systems out there beeing better at both , without beeing "engineered" towards ist.
>>
>>54187290
>If you're only interested in the core rules then it's definitely possible, but many might argue that result won't be tde anymore.

honestly, thats my real interest. I tear apart systems or ideas. how versatile is the core?
and even then, if I want to run a fantasy game that ISN'T D&D its nice to know there are alternatives.

>liturgies
let me guess, the system layers what might be considered "supernatural" abilities onto a character based on their religion and relative level of faith.

with extra things layered on based on professions also?

how does the game handle swash-buckling?

whats the power-level of a start character?
>>
>>54187565
apart from the setting tde is just an overcomplicated mess of a rule set, hold together by the nostalgia of the fans and some stupid houserules of the authors.
>>
File: Kneipenschl„gerei.jpg (57KB, 931x443px) Image search: [Google]
Kneipenschl„gerei.jpg
57KB, 931x443px
English lore videos/let's plays on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9lrD0EiOevRzTXA7mM7rB2JnfY8QFL8X
Also a recent German video contains an English message from Ulisses North America targeted to Germans: https://youtu.be/O-ESckO_jvM?t=7m32s

>>54187533
Their goal wasn't "fantastic" or "real". To them, "phantastic realism" meant to mix setting and lore. For example, iron hinders magic, so mages can not wear plate armor (or they suffer penalties). Those rules don't work in different settings because magic works differently there.

>>54187565
The quickstart rules should contain everything you need.
>liturgies
I'll try to explain:
You do "skill checks". Skills are divided into "Talents" aka Climbing, Dancing, Singing; "Spells" and "Liturgies". Every Character has those talents, but only mages can buy spells and blessed ones can buy liturgies. Profane (non-supernatural) actions are realized as "special abilities" which work differently and can be learned by anyone.
Character power level is choosen at generation though mpst start at "everyday person" level.

>>54187565
Yep.
>>
>Yep.
meant to quote >>54187619

To clarify:
It's difficult to change a system that has been around for so long. People have come to expect a certain clunkiness from the game.
>>
>>54188088
do you now d&d ? The game where "magic users cant use armor because iron" originally came from? Apart from that if this is the definition of pr, than literally any system with a setting tied to it does the exact same, norhing exceptional for tde here.
>>
>>54188159
I know that DnD also has this mechanic. I just wanted to use an example to explain pr. That was the first that came to mind. I never meant to imply that tde does it in a special way.

A better example would probably be the mechanical split between magic and gods.
>>
>>54188253
Wich is not mechenically distinct anymore in tde5
>>
>>54189114
Yes.
Like I said:
>They overdid it and sort of fixed it in 5th ed.
Though they try to keep minor differences. For example the ceremonial artifacts that are similar to magical ones but use different mechanics.

Anyway, I'm off to bed.
>>
>>54188140
look at dnd, its older then tde but far more streamlined
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.