[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General: Splatbook Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 411
Thread images: 33

File: light_by_shilin-db7oqak.png (369KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
light_by_shilin-db7oqak.png
369KB, 800x1200px
>Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Feedback Questionnaires:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b
Are these even still valid? if not should probably remove them

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously on 5e General:
>>54170473

Topic starter: Assuming WotC gets the time/people/resources to start publishing more official material other than just more hard-cover adventure books, where do you want them to start?
>>
>>54182540
They need to make a Gnoll PC race that isn't total shit like Kobolds or Orc
and I want them to make more weapons, the newest planeshift stated khopeshs being longsword/greatsword and nothing more
>>
Funny enough, the thing I want for the most part would be in a new PHB. Things like additional class options, equipment, magic items, feats etc.
>>
>>54182382
>>54182392
>>54182394

yeah, sure, it's good if you assume you'll be getting advantage every turn.
>>
>>54182540
are there any good horror-ish one-shots for level three adventurers?
>>
I can't decide if I should create a new character to replace the one who just died, or continue on and have my DM resurrect me somehow.

On one hand, I like being a wizard. There's some stuff coming up that I'm very excited to try out and I have fun as a wizard.

On the other hand, I've had my eye on one of the new fighter subclasses and trying out a new personality with a new backstory and a new class sounds pretty fun too.

I know all the advice I'm going to get is "go with what you want to do" but is there anything else I should be thinking about? Does anyone have an opinion that they feel would be helpful in making my decision?
>>
>>54182912
What does your party need and would this new personality mesh/clash with party members in interesting ways?
>>
>>54182912
How did the character died? What were the IC ties like? How shoehorned would their resurrection be? Heck you could always make another wizard and take it from a new angle right away, or later on retire that fighter and do a new wizard.
>>
>>54182912
i highly doubt you'll find more fun with fighter than with a wizard
>>
>>54182928
We have pretty much everything we need, though I'm the only straight magic user and ranged attacker. The subclass I was thinking of would solve the ranged problem and the magic problem slightly. I haven't come up with a new personality yet, I was just excited at the prospect of playing a new one.

>>54182947
I was locked in a room with 5 wights. Didn't end well. I have no idea how I'd be resurrected, but this would be the second time it's happened.

>>54182971
You'd be surprised what I find fun anon.
>>
>>54183041
>locked in a room with 5 wights
>second time its happened

nah, just call it quits, your wizman had his second chance and he still beefed it.
>>
>>54183052
plus its really easy to get a martial killed if you want to play something else, just start playing your character more and more fast and loose, combine it with him acting more unhinged, say its some kind of PTSD, eventually you'll run into a meat grinder you cant punch your way out of and you can play a wizard again
>>
>>54183052
No, I meant dying, not being locked in a room with 5 wights.

My first death involved an ill-advised fire bolt at level 2, an orc chief and a nat 20.
>>
alright, which class should I play if I want to be a Judgemaster/Supreme Justice type. Think Tunon from Tyranny if you know who that is.

I was thinking Cleric since they get Zone of Truth, which would be the most usefull spell for courtroom interrogations.

Also, why isn't there a Justice/Law domain for clerics?
>>
>>54183159
death domain, cleric of Kelemvor
>>
>>54183159
Oath of the crown Pally
>>
>>54182879
You can try Death House. It's made for level 1 but you can buff the encounters a bit and remove the midpoint level-up.

Also I think even level 3 characters would have trouble with it, because the encounters are insane.
>>
Making a Nomad Mystic what's better a long bow using high elf or crossbow using Drow? Also isn't there a Drow house known for having more psionics then normal?
>>
>>54183128
Yeah I assumed that the second time thing was about dying, not 5 wights. That would be a strange campaign.

But either way, its my personal opinion that its time for him to stay dead
>>
>>54183159
>law domain
Knowledge is probably the closest we will get
>>
File: 1490167004761.jpg (260KB, 858x1446px) Image search: [Google]
1490167004761.jpg
260KB, 858x1446px
>>54183233
Hand Crossbow with Crossbow Expert is the best ranged weapon in the game, even moreso if you pick up sharpshooter as well. The fact that there's no reason to pick any other ranged weapon ever (in a game where feats are allowed) is well known.
>>
Why does the haunted one background only get one skill? Is one exotic language worth that much?
>>
>>54183159
Knowledge Cleric. It gets the Mind Reading channel divinity and spells that work with it. The other option is to find a god who focuses on the Law and Justice and pick a domain that follows the god's other portfolio. Kelemvor, Horus-Re, Nobanion, Osiris and more I can suggest if you want would all be good picks.

The other option would to just be Life. It says at the back of the PHB that any god of good or neutral alignment can always have Life Cleric, with Evils ones always having Death Clerics.

>Also, why isn't there a Justice/Law domain for clerics?
Too heavily focused on a specific alignment. Which sounds dumb but there's Good Death Clerics and Evil Life ones. Whereas you couldn't possibly have a Chaotic Law Cleric.

>>54183267
There's reason to pick others, the reasons are few and far between but they're there.
>>
>>54183211
is that a one shot though? seems like it could take more than one session to go through
>>
>>54183294
It depends on how much time you actually have and how fast your players are.

I ran a 'one-shot' a while ago and it took three sessions.
>>
>>54182540
More roleplaying rule. It a game not a show.
>>
would polearm master be worth getting at level 4 for a glaive barbarian? i figure the extra attack with rage damage is pretty good, and having 3 attacks at level 5 sounds nice
>>
>>54183363
PAM and/or GWM are always worth getting for a melee character.

Both would be useful really. PAM is more consistent damage, GWM is less reliable burst damage.

I got GWM on my Barb last weekend. Doing a minimum of 18 damage (2d6 + 6 + 10) is really satisfying.
>>
>>54183356
all right it does seem pretty cool and I will just expedite exploration of the house itself! cheers
>>
>>54183363
I'd take it. The extra attack is a pretty huge damage increase and you can often get the OA to trigger when someone moves near you.

GWM is more damage... but way more swingy. Also if you're placed against high AC creatures becomes pretty worthless.
>>
>>54183395
if it gets to that point, i'd probably get GWM later on, when the -5 to hit isn't as big of a deal
i can use GWM on that extra attack with polearm master, right?
>>
>>54183206
>death domain, cleric of Kelemvor
Wot.

Death domain is probably the least fitting domain ever to pick for a priest of kelemvor.
>>
>>54178749
Barbarians aren't worth it without feats.

They don't get anything awfully good beyond level 5, and barbarogue does more damage on top of having all the rogueish features.

There really is very little point in using big weapons if you're not going to use feats.

Feats help barbarians/fighters etc be good at their job, otherwise, you might as well play a wizard or something who has a load of utility as well as a bit of damage.
>>
>>54183275
>There's reason to pick others, the reasons are few and far between but they're there.
Like better range?
>>
I plan on making a witch Hunter'ish character with a whip and a hand crossbow. Really stereotypical shit here.

How should I build this? I want to go either VHuman or Half elf, but I struggling with my choices of stat.

We start at level 3, and I know we will at least get to 15 (we never end a campaign earlier). I know ill have to focus on dex, but the rest eludes me.

I can't decide between fighter and Rogue. Cunning action seems too good to pass up for this build, but GM does not allow multiclassing.

For the Rogue, it feels quite straight forward. Would probably go AT for the extra utility, and just weave in and out of combat.

For fighter, I am not sure. I guess I would need a lot of con as well, but I feel like a crossbow + whip build is a bit pointless in a fighter build, where I will likely be the frontline anyway.

Thoughts? Experiences maybe?
>>
>>54183507
Sharpshooter extends your range beyond anything you'll ever actually need anyway.
>>
>>54183526
If you want to be a decent dex fighter, you use crossbow expert and sharpshooter.

Or you can just go rogue.
>>
File: 1304784309393.jpg (21KB, 441x408px) Image search: [Google]
1304784309393.jpg
21KB, 441x408px
>level 3 party traversing through a 300 foot purple wurm petrified by a basilisk and converted into a giants base
>Meet an Otyugh at very bottom swimming in filth
>Cleric of Amaunteer is studying the Otyugh to try to cure a plague
>Warns party to leave it be
>Party try to kill it anyway
>Cleric threatens them for doing this
>Party laughs in his face
> party kills Otyugh
> Cleric is pissed, casts greater restoration on the purple wurm
>With the party still inside it's digestive tract
>Mfw
>>
>>54183557
>Low level party tagging along with a high level spellcaster
>>
>>54183571
The cleric was an NPC doing his own thing at the bottom of the dungeon. Certainly wasn't tagging along with the party.
>>
>>54183557
That doesn't make any sense

Why would the Cleric commit suicide
>>
>>54183526
>but GM does not allow multiclassing.

why
>>
>>54183557
A Purple Worm has a +11 to its CON save, it is impossible for it to fail the DC 12 CON Save from a Basilisk's petrification
>>
>>54183605
I think the cleric is a NPC.
>>
>>54183605
>He knows the secret way out the players don't and likewise is pretty fanatical and unhinged from studying aberrations for months.
>>
>>54183635
I know. NPC's don't kill themselves for no reason either
>>
File: 1477695609293.jpg (107KB, 644x830px) Image search: [Google]
1477695609293.jpg
107KB, 644x830px
>>54183621
Reminder that multiclassing is a cancerous mechanic that's only ever used for min-maxy rules-lawyer builds and heavily favors charisma casters over everyone else.
>>
>>54183654
I don't get the suicide part you're seeing in his story. The NPC was still outside, supposedly.
>>
>>54183267
So why is it good I'm having trouble understanding the feat also the hand crossbows range is shit.
>>
>>54183634
>all monsters statblocks in your imaginary world are copyright TM do not tamper with as per gygax
I specifically go offbook with creatures because of people like you
>>
>>54183665
The otyugh and the cleric and the party are inside the purple worm
the cleric unpetrifies the purple worm
the cleric and the party die in the stomach acid

Learn to read and comprehend, champ
>>
>>54183507
Before you get all your feats, range, certain people can do better with other weapons (Sharpshooter Fighter and Hunter Ranger), if a DM does random magical items you may not end up with the specific weapon you built around and also if you're playing with the rule you're much harder to disarm with a two-handed weapon.

Like I said, the reasons are few and far between but they do exist. To say there's no reason to ever use another is a blatant lie.

Though the real trick is for Hunters and Sharpshooters to have a Heavy Crossbow to pull out for their special moves when appropriate.
>>
>>54183634
It was probably cursed, or the basilisk was not an ordinary basilisk.
>>
>>54183686
>>With the party still inside it's digestive tract
>party explicitly mentioned but not the NPC
>>
>>54183684
The hand crossbow is the only ranged weapon in the game that lets you fire off extra shot with your bonus action. Furthermore Crossbow Expert means you can attack at point-blank range without penalty, and can ignore having to reload the crossbow.

Sharpshooter completely fixes the weapon's poor range, while allowing it ignore half cover and make more powerful attacks.
>>
>>54183655
I can see that, but surely there is a way for a GM who doesn't like that aspect of it to make it work for his tastes, especially with two classes like fighter and rogue because they're pretty similar.

There is no reason to impede roleplaying because you don't like how a certain mechanic works, because you're allowed to throw literally any mechanic out the window and make a house rule for it.
>>
>>54183621
Personally I sometimes ban it depending on the game I'm going for. You can't deny that all except 1 of the cancer builds (Svirfneblen Abjurer) requires multiclassing.

Also people doing it often do the mechanics first then slap together a story explaining their Hexblade 1/Paladin 2/Sorcerer X which is always awful.

Then again I also ban weapon feats but added in more combat actions for classes to take so Martials have something better to do then 50+ damage all the time.
>>
>>54183724
>two classes like fighter and rogue because they're pretty similar.

I mean... I guess they're both martials who don't usually use magic. That's about where the similarities end.

Also Rogues don't get Whip proficiency and you wanted a whip sooo...
>>
>>54183526
Why not a Ranger? Take humanoids as your favored enemies because you're a witch hunter and you can do the whole Whip+Crossbow thing.
>>
>>54183769
>Telling a blatant cross-classing min-maxer to play one of the mechanically weakest classes in the game.

Pls Anon, that would imply he's actually interested in roleplaying.
>>
Where can I find the other official Elf subraces that aren't in the PHB? Or did the PBH lie to me and all there is to choose from is High, Wood and Drow?
>>
>>54183790
...Dude. He's not even trying to minmax.

He just asked if he should go Fighter or Rogue for his idea and said the DM doesn't allow multiclassing, otherwise people would tell him to just to do it.
>>
>>54183747
I'm not the guy with the character sorry, should have made that clear, I just thought it was a weird rule and I wanted to butt in

You already posted the general theme of my argument though, they're both just stone cold martials, it makes sense for one to be able to pick up the skill set of the other pretty easily, I've always thought a lot of multiclassing was fairly hamfisted but a few of them make good sense like practically any of the 80/100% martial classes.

Like a rogue in an eastern setting slowly turning into a way of the shadow monk, or a fighter who grew up as a thief so he has some spare levels in rogue.

>>54183790
I'm going to reply to this too since I've been confused for this guy already and let you all know I was fully committed to playing a monk in a 3.5 game that fell apart due to scheduling, so I really don't give a shit about my characters being of any use at all according to whatever metric min/maxers do, I just wanna have fun even if I'm playing clearly the worst class in the entire edition
>>
>>54183363
polearm master is really good not just because of the extra 1d4 attack but because of the opportunity attack it adds. You will get way more attacks as a result of it the math works out that it's a much better damage increase than +2 strength.
>>
File: caster supremacy.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
caster supremacy.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>54183655
>implying you can actually min-max in 5E
>implying there is anything wrong with playing optimally as long as your definition of playing optimally includes both combat prowess as well as out of combat social and utility abilities, which is the only true way of playing optimally in a game that heavily relies on roleplaying
>>
>Assuming WotC gets the time/people/resources to start publishing more official material other than just more hard-cover adventure books, where do you want them to start?

All I want is an Alchemist class. I wanna brew up some potions and make bombs and shit.
>>
>>54183793
Someone please? I can't find anything.
>>
>>54183897
It's called UA Artificer and UA Downtime. Though I guess the people who scream "We need an Alchemist class!" for every fucking game are still better then "Those 20 options aren't enough to make the exact Gish I want!".

>>54183918
That's all so far.
>>
>>54183793
The other subraces are:

>Space elves who made a pocket dimension to take shelter in during a crisis and are now back. Awesome teleportation powers included.

>Aquatic elves who adapted to underwater lifestyles (hopefully now they can breathe both on land and in water). Have fun playing an Aquatic Elf Monk and swim around like a torpedo.

>Lycan elves who are basically a PC not!Werewolf race. The Gotta Go Fast subrace of Elves that can shapchange into wolves, dire wolves and frost wolves as they level up.

>Wild elves who are the most pureblooded elves and get to have a +3 in dex which means most players will use them to Min-Max...Oh and they have neat not!Aztec flavour.

>Avain elves who can grow wings, hate dragons and are all for FREEDOM. The most American elves *Screeching Eagle noises* TM.

>Rock Elves who are just pointy eared skiny Goliaths, pale skin, can climb really good and live in caves. They are very spooky since despite being large they can hide in plain sight when there's rocks nearby. Imagine a whole race of Slenderman/woman but with elven faces.
>>
>>54183793

>>54183933 is full of shit and none of those exist (yet). So far there's only the PHB ones.
>>
>>54182540
>Assuming WotC gets the time/people/resources to start publishing more official material other than just more hard-cover adventure books, where do you want them to start?
advanced player's guide. with all the good stuff from unearthed arcana.
>>
>>54183954
>(yet)
I don't think they ever will. They just get a passing mention in SCAG
>>
>>54183921
Not that anon but if the Alchemist half of Artificer sucked major ass. "Hurr durr I can pull easily obtainable items out of my bag any time I want and that's it."
No bombs, no potions apart from healing potions or Swiftstep Draught.
>>
How can I create a 5th level character who has at least 18 dex without rolling?
>>
>>54183963
Is there enough good content from UA to make a book, especially with XGE coming out soon?
>>
>>54183954
Those are subraces from previous editions dude.

Only a matter of time till they are introduced.
The'll just need rebalancing to 5e standards.

For example what i'd do:

>Space elves get +1 to Int and a 10ft teleport bonus action.
>Avian elves get +1 to Wis, learn the Gust cantrip as a Druid cantrip and can use an action to grow wings with 30ft flight speed at lvl 10 or so.
>Lycan elves get +1 to Con and Shapechange (wolf - at lvl 1, dire wolf at lvl 6 and frost wolf at lvl 12) once per long rest.
>Aquatic elves get +1 to Wis, 30ft Swim speed and at will Waterbreathing on self.
>Rock elves get +1 to Str, 20ft Climb speed and +5ft to melee range.

>>54184003
I agree. WotC is slow with new content.
>>
>>54183963
thats called xanathar's guide to everything
>>
>>54183732
I never even heard about that Svirfneblen Abjurer thing before
>>
>>54184006
Pick any race that gets a +1/2 to dex , put 14/15 points in dex and use your ASI at 4 to get 18
Alternatively, pick any race that gets +2 to dex, put 15 in dex and pick a feat at level 4 that gives you +1 dex
>>
>>54184005
Your Fire and Acid AoE's are bombs, it's called refluffing it from a flask to a bomb. Infuse Magic is literally giving you the power to turn a vial of water into a magical potion.

I won't disagree that the Artificer has issues, but the next version should be alright cause those are easy to fix. Make it a half-caster, replace the mechanical servant with a combat ability and buff both the Alchemist and Gunsmith's attacks a little bit.

>>54184027
I know they're in older editions, but they're not stated and telling him they are is how we get retarded new players.
>>
File: Mixing Potions.png (353KB, 293x586px) Image search: [Google]
Mixing Potions.png
353KB, 293x586px
>>54183897
>>54183921
>>54184005
Artificer Tradition Wizard is better for playing an actual alchemist in every way possible, especially if your DM allows you to use this variant rule from the DMG, and it will work since Artificer Tradition creates actual potion items and not pseudo-consumables unique to their subclass like the Alchemist Artificer and their healing draught. I'd also consider it fairly balanced due to the possibility of ruining your potion, wasting your spell slots or blasting your face off with 6d10 force damage, and I'd consider sudden explosions and failed experiments to be an important aspects of playing a true alchemist.
You can also pick the Healing Elixir spell from the recent starter spells UA, which invalidates the existance of Artificer Alchemist even further.
If you wanna get into the cheese territory and get kicked from your campaign you can also pick the Alchemist Feat from the Feats UA, although that one RAW allows you to maximize the effectiveness of the superior healing potions you create, leaving you with potions that restore whopping 40 (thats as many as four tens) hit points for the cost of a 3rd level spellslot, and thats terrible.
Just remember: its Wizards of the Coast, not Artificers that can boast. Braise Vecna.
>>
>>54184027
>At-will teleports
>In 5e
>A race feature that's delayed until unplayed levels, and if it isn't delayed then >flight speed
>Lycan... Actually, that's servicable. I guess aquatic is too although it might only rarely come up you need to go underwater.
>Trying to cuck bugbears
>>
>>54184056
>I'd consider sudden explosions and failed experiments to be an important aspects of playing a true alchemist.
You're part of the problem.

>>54184060
I agree at-will race teleport's stupid but...

>Shadow Monk, Shadow Sorcerer and Horizon Walker
>>
>>54184060
>10ft teleprots that take up your bonus action and will be worded to take into account your movement speed.
>race gets a free druid cantrip to compensate for getting flight speed at late levels where it's appropriate.
>Thank you. Lycans are the most reasonable of the lot.
>Hating on Slenderman Elves.
>>
>>54184075
You forgot stone sorcerer which has defined reason why it can't just teleport to teammates all the time.

Shadow monk is the reasonable one and to be honest I'd let them get away with it because they're monks and they already have great mobility, alongside the fact it's limited from darkness to darkness.
>>
File: lore mastery wizard.png (38KB, 866x820px) Image search: [Google]
lore mastery wizard.png
38KB, 866x820px
>>54184075
>You're part of the problem.
Have fun playing with your little faux non-potions, Artifeces players.
>>
>>54184112
I'm just saying that having a random chance of killing yourself and everyone around you has literally never been part of good class design. Like how everyone fucking hates Wild Sorcerer even though they can be really powerful.

Artificer Wizard is awesome, I was one of the few saying it's good when they first made it and angry "lol wacky alchemists" were going on about how it ruined what they remember of Artificers and was weak.
>>
>>54184110
>which has defined reason
I mean, which doesn't have a defined reason. Whoops.
>>
>>54184143
>Like how everyone fucking hates Wild Sorcerer
I hate it because you rely on your DM to surge
>>
>>54184143
Chance for bad shit is low and constrained to early levels.

Wild Sorc is bad because the surge ability is entirely up to DM fiat. It's trash design.
>>
>>54184143
>and everyone around you
The range is five feet and its only 1d10 damage for those who are near you, you're also supposed to engage in these kind of activities during your short/long rests and preferably once you have enough HP to soak up the damage (an decreasing HP loss further more by usage of stuff like False Life). In the end, it just means additional spell slot/hit dice tax to patch up yourself. It's incomparable to casting a fireball as a wildsorc centered on yourself during a boss battle.
>>
>>54184170
>>54184181
If you got a good DM then Wild Sorcerer can be amazing and surge over 50% of the time with Tides of Chaos. Issue is you don't know until you try it.
>>
>>54184154
It's an aegis feature. You can only teleport to someone you've put an aegis around.

>As a bonus action, you can grant an aegis to one allied creature you can see within 60 feet of you. The aegis is a dim, gray aura of earth magic that protects the target. Any bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage the target takes is reduced by 2 + your sorcerer level divided by 4. This effect lasts for 1 minute, until you use it again, or until you are incapacitated.
>In addition, when a creature you can see within 60 feet of you hits the protected target with a melee attack, you can use your reaction to teleport to an unoccupied space you can see within 5 feet of the attacker. You can teleport only if you and the attacker are on the same surface. You can then make one melee weapon attack against the attacker. If that attack hits, it deals an extra 1d10 force damage. This extra damage increases to 2d10 at 11th level and 3d10 at 17th level.
>>
File: inquisitor sad.jpg (61KB, 275x318px) Image search: [Google]
inquisitor sad.jpg
61KB, 275x318px
>>54184196
The issue is that the wildsorc surge table effects fucking suck and are riddled with meaningless lolsorandom ribbons. Dark Herecy psyker phenomenas/perils of the warp was a superior system for chaotic casters.
>>
>>54184198
Now, tell me, why can't you just pop the aegis on someone and teleport to them whenever you please?

Why do they have to be attacked in order for you to teleport them?

Can't you just throw a rock at them?

I think it's a retarded design, personally, because it has overly specific requirements for using an ability that don't make sense when the point of 5e is that it's not 4e and abilities don't have some long 'first if this happens you do this and then this and then this but unless that happens you don't seem to have the ability to do this'.
>>
>>54184265
>when a creature you can see hits the protected target with a melee attack
It's all right there in the description mate. I know you're embarrassed because you were wrong, but that doesn't mean it's time to dig your heels in and try to act like you were right all along.
>>
>>54184287
Do you even understand the point he's making? From a fluff perspective why do you gain the ability to teleport, but only when someone's attacked?

The idea of the magic only working when someone's attacked within 30ft of you or whatever's retarded. It just doesn't make sense.
>>
>>54184312
Because that's what the aegis does. It's really simple shit mate. If you've got to have uber fucking autism about it, then just look at it as the aegis teleporting you to it, rather than you teleporting to the aegis.

Fuck me, you autists are something else.
>>
>>54184287
My original fucking point is that the whole thing is retarded, as >>54184312 has managed to shorthand for me.
>>
>>54184312
Why not? Weird restrictions on magic are all over the place. It is, after all, magic. Why is needing a handful of bat guano or or waving around a staff more reasonable for a requirement of casting a spell than seeing your aura being broken?
>>
>>54184337
See: >>54184335 you autistic fuck
>>
Guys, why does the Command spell limit you to only one word? That doesn't make any sense, if you're commanding them you should at lest be able to spit out a short sentence like Suggestion. This is stupid design.
>>
>>54184351
Because it's a command.
>>
>>54183041
>locked in a room with 5 wights
maybe your dude can come back as a wight.
>>
>>54184349
So, why doesn't it say 'you can teleport to anyone who has an aegis on them' but instead 'the target must be hit for you to teleport'?
>>
Quick question: is being able to make a temporary clone of an ally an alright final feature for a bard archetype?

It would only last a few rounds, maybe have much less health and fewer spell slots
>>
>>54184400
Because sorcerers work on instinct, and the protective instinct is required to trigger their teleport.
>>
>>54184400
Because the aegis teleports you when it's triggered and its trigger is a melee attack. Are you fucking disabled? You seem borderline illiterate.
>>
>>54184410
Define "fewer spell slots".

Doubling a wizard that can cast 9th level spells is going to be ridiculous even if it can only cast 1 spell.

How many times a day could you use that ability?
>>
File: image.jpg (263KB, 999x1400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
263KB, 999x1400px
What's your favorite race/class combo?
>>
We back?
>>
>>54184450
Half-orc Champion
>>
File: UnarmedArchetypes.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
UnarmedArchetypes.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
I made some unarmed archetypes last night, but by the time I posted them the thread was nearly over and also I went to sleep. So here they are again. ( Direct link: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkYF7N05E- )
Let me know what you think. I am not a prideful, defensive asshole and would prefer to improve them than whine about my OC.

>>54184463
We back.
>>
>>54184450
Human Fighter
>>
>>54184450
Yuan-Ti Wizard
>>
>>54183708

Would the Crossbow Expert feat be made more balanced if it had this instead:

When you use the Attack action and attack with a one-handed weapon or a weapon with the ammunition property, you may use your bonus action to attack with a ranged weapon that has the ammunition property. This attack's damage die is a d4.
>>
I've got a player who wants to do a sort of Bard/Cleric multiclass, focused on support and healing. He rolled very well for his ability scores when he was building the character with me. Rolling 14, 12, 16, 18, 12, 11

How is Bard/Cleric anyways
>>
>>54184488
>multiclass
>rolling for stats
Is he taking feats too?
>>
File: IMG_4884.jpg (58KB, 500x595px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4884.jpg
58KB, 500x595px
How is your campaign going, /5e/? Have your players surprised you recently with anything they've done? I had a wonderful moment with a totally new player who started in my campaign a while back:

>Dwarf fighter, CN
>Started off being lolrandum and a pretty big self insert, no role playing and pretty much lead around by experienced guy
>whatever, we all take time
>Fast forward to today's session
>"Hey could I like make an acrobatics check to try and get up in that hangman tree and distract it? I'll jump off that nearby rock from a running leap"
>of fucking course you can you magnificent bastard, first time I think he got I'm all for non-standard combat stuff
>later, in the faerie woods
>"I forage for scat"
>mfw, but I'll allow it
>expect some stupid stuff
>takes his waterskin, puts the scat with water in it and pokes a hole in the skin, gets the dog to sniff it
>"Fairies are tricky folk, and I know woods like these are easy to get lost in. If we left a rope out, the wee buggers would cut it as soon as we rounded a corner and we'd be hopeless. With this trail of stank we'll be able to retrace our steps"

He spent the entire session telling tall tales about fairies and how much he hates them because IC he's had some bad dealings with them and gnomes. Made for some solid travel banter. I gave him inspiration, but I wish I could tell him how proud I was of him in a non-weird way.
>>
since 4chan is collapsing around me, I might as well confess: 5e is a good base system, but it has serious flaws that have caused me to heavily homebrew it to the point that my games would probably be unrecognizable to any of you.
>>
>>54184510
I'd love to tell you but I can't post.
>>
>>54184516
Exemples of homebrew?
>>
>>54184507
I asked him to roll for stats and he did it right in front of me, he just got lucky.

He's probably going to grab feats yeah
>>
>>54184510

>Put the scat in his waterskin

I hope he has a backup waterskin.
>>
>>54184535
Of course it posts that. But anyway, 3 out of 4 players are actually getting into it and wondering what's going on with a nation that seemed to be taking a peaceful approach to unity. They're even coming up with theories after encountering an undead from said nation.
>>
Feats for a variant human death cleric?
>>
>>54184555
I don't run combat encounters with combat rules anymore.

Short rests are 5 minutes long

I ignore any weapon limitations in a rule. You can sneak attack with hammers if you want.

I'm flexible with damage type limitations. If you want to do non-standard damage with your hammer, you just have to declare what damage type you're using before the attack. For spells, when you take a spell, you can decide it will deal another damage type (such as an icy explosion instead of a fireball), but it's stuck dealing that damage type for the rest of the campaign.

We roll for stats with a different method every campaign, but you always have the option to take the standard array if you don't like your generated stats. (this one is by player choice, we all prefer it).

Settings are usually high technology in addition to magic.

Instead of d20 rolls being binary success or failure, I'm refining rules for partial success and partial failures.
>>
File: [Eurobeat stops].gif (2MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
[Eurobeat stops].gif
2MB, 400x300px
>>54184510
I'm a risky DM who allows Plot Points (players have to do super specific tasks, or do something absolutely mind blowing to earn any, only one can be had at any one time) and had a player take on a baby dragon alone to save a rather story important NPC who was sent to die by another player.
That player held on to that plot point for all of 2 sessions until I had an Adult Red Dragon pay them a visit for killing its child. Players are bracing to fight the dragon.

Then it had a stroke and died.

Plot points are terrifying.
>>
>>54184709
Plot Point?
>>
>>54184690
>don't run combat encounters with combat rules anymore
What?
>>
>>54184421
Once per long rest.

It's a bardic college for this who write mythic cycles, so the feature is used to summon an idealized version of someone temporarily
>>
>>54184690
>You can sneak attack with hammers if you want.
So can you sneak attack with greaswords?
>>
>>54184764
A variant rule from the DMG. Basically, players will earn a point that allows them to rewrite the story at any point.
Things like:
>There's a dead end
>player uses their plot point to make it a door that leads to a room full of treasure and magical artifacts instead

The plot point is then consumed. I'm crazy and I allow it, but I make it extremely rare or difficult to do so. So far, they've had only the one after 7 months of playing.
>>
File: Haymaker.png (350KB, 730x342px) Image search: [Google]
Haymaker.png
350KB, 730x342px
People, who use the Pugilist, what does this ability affect in your game?
>>
>>54184853
Greasword.
Thanks for the magic item idea!
>>
>>54184864
Neat! Maybe i should try it sometime
>>
>>54184918
Good luck with that, and be careful. Plot points are capable of turning your plot on its head if the players so choose, just like with giving a dragon a stroke. They could use their plot point to say the Big Bad evil dude suffers a heart attack and dies type of dealio.
>>
>>54184779
I run combat encounters like a skill challenge, with damage and successes at skill checks both contributing towards victory. Meanwhile, the enemy monsters are dealing damage every round, which contributes towards attrition. Harder combat encounters have a higher DPR or a higher number of successes/damage needed to achieve victory. The number of enemies in a given encounter is fluid. Some might run away, some might reinforce, and really, all enemies share an HP pool anyways. I've been refining it for a while now, and I find it encourages more interesting combat encounters compared to the standard rules of "roll for initiiative, damage race against individual monsters, blah blah blah, win when you kill em all or the DM arbitrarily takes mercy on you and has them run away".

>>54184853
yes.
>>
>>54184874
>my pugilist has +9 on melee attack rolls

It guarantees me at least 12 damage a turn is what it does
>>
>>54184414
Thank you, you have at least responded properly.
An argument can probably be made on that part but personally I think it's just a design oversight, and it's kinda lame to give people combat abilities but then say 'but actually you can't use this combat ability outside of combat'.
>>
>>54184874
That's broken as shit with a couple levels of barbarian.
>>
>>54184351
Three reasons. First, tradition. Players have been coming up with fun ways to get the most out of a one-word command for over 30 years now. Second, it's a first-level spell, so of course it's not going to be able to do as much as a higher-level spell. Third, it only lasts one round, so if it took you too long to say it they'd have no time to obey it.
>>
>>54184472
It's kind of weird that the brawler still needs to wear armor
>>
>>54185032

It was a joke at the expense of those whining about the stone sorc's teleport.
>>
>>54185034
It's kind of weird that he can even get away with using no weapons in the first place. If having no weapons were as good as having weapons, nobody would ever make weapons.
>>
>>54184985
Does your DM allow this to affect non weapon damage, like magic items? Or if you are multiclassed does it affect sneak attack or the such?
>>54184998
How so?
How so?
>>
>>54184351
>tfw foreign DnD player
>tfw things that I want to Command are one word in english
>But two or three in my language
>>
>>54184690
>If you want to do non-standard damage with your hammer, you just have to declare what damage type you're using before the attack
So I can sharpen my hammer and does slashing damage?
>>
Should I allow UA?
>>
File: Chain of Bad Luck.jpg (1MB, 1500x2092px) Image search: [Google]
Chain of Bad Luck.jpg
1MB, 1500x2092px
>>54184864
When I DM Storm King's Thunder, I'm going to allow plot points but with a slightly different take on them...pic related. As for how they work...

>At the start of the campaign, the Dungeon Master takes one That is Not What Happened! card, shuffles the deck, and then draws two additional cards. Then the players draw one card each. The remaining cards are set aside for the moment.
>The Dungeon Master and players keep the cards they drew secret from each other – no one but you should ever know what Plot Twist you have in store, until you actually play it.

>At any relevant time, you can play a plot twist card. Some plot twists only work under specific conditions, such as It Was All a Clever Ruse, which requires you to choose a creature no more than 1 hour after it has died.
>Once you play a plot twist, its effects generally happen at “the next convenient moment”. If not in combat, this usually means immediately, or close to it. If in combat, this means on initiative count 0.
>The Player Characters may play only one Plot Twist per session. The Dungeon Master can play as many Plot Twist cards as he has available.
>Once you’ve played a Plot Twist, you discard it. Discarded Plot Twist can’t be used until the Plot Twist deck is shuffled again.

>If you’re a player character and you don’t like your Plot Twist, you can discard it and draw a new one from the deck, provided there are still Plot Twists available in the deck (if not, you can’t draw new Plot Twists).
>If you’re a Dungeon Master, you can’t draw new Plot Twists at all until it’s time to re-shuffle the Plot Twist deck.
>At the start of the session, if no player character has a Plot Twist card, all Plot Twists (including any that the Dungeon Master currently possesses) are shuffled into the Plot Twist deck. The Dungeon master gets a new That is Not What Happened! card automatically, draws two more cards from the deck, and then the players each draw one new card of their own.
>>
>>54185383
Your players should ask first. If there are no conflicts based on either powerlevel or fluff, I see no reason not to allow them.
>>
>>54185395
Oh, the entire reason for allowing Plot Twists like this to happen is that the entirety of Storm King's Thunder is supposed to basically be the PCs telling the story of STK in a tavern like 30 years later to a rapt audience, so I'm trying to introduce a lot of elements that will grant that feel.

Also Chief Guh is definitely going to sing. Possibly all the major giant characters, actually.
>>
>>54185383
Sure

Just don't allow multiclassing with UA
>>
>>54185279
Simply the weapon attacks, sneak attacks are a separate roll. DM does allow that it can apply to as many melee attacks I make per turn though.
>>
>>54185383
Most of it is fine. Just don't let people multiclass unless you think its fine and don't let anyone play loremaster. If you do let someone multiclass, tell the person that you might change something if anything ever comes up that you feel is broken
>>
>>54185383
No
>>
>>54185340
Many warhammers had spikes built into them anon! It isn't unrealistic to suppose that you could slash across the chest with one of these spikes. It wouldn't be efficient for a normal person to do, but this is heroic fantasy. You're playing mythic heroes.
>>
>>54185458
>spikes built into them
Ok so it does piercing damage
>>
>>54184956
Please tell me more. As much detail as you can spare. My party struggles with combat and this sounds great.
>>
>>54185383
you should tell your PCs that UA's are on an ask first basis.
>>
>>54185427
I never understood the no multiclass with UA thing. Why does it matter as long as its not cheesy/OP as fuck?
>>
>>54185340
Just use some sovereign glue to stick a dagger or short sword to the end
>>
>>54185340
>So I can sharpen my hammer and does slashing damage?
I believe we call that an axe.
>>
>>54185475
No. The player wanted to deal slashing damage, so it deals slashing damage. They're slashing across the armor or skin with the tip of the spike.
>>
>>54184485
Haha why?

Hand Crossbow is 1d6+15 so reducing it to 1d4+15 for the BA attack means nothing.
>>
>>54185514
Wrong post friendo.
>>
>>54185498
>Why does it matter as long as its not cheesy/OP as fuck?
because most UA's are cheesy and OP as fuck when multiclassed.
>>
>tfw DM says I can't be the swashbuckler UA class
fuck
>>
>>54185581
>UA
it's in the Sword Coast supplement, so it's well past just test material.
>>
Should multiclassing (core classes) be unrestricted or should players be required to provide IC justification and work as to the direction their character is going?
>>
Are Kobolds as a PC race really that bad? Pack Tactics seems really strong if you can manage Sunlight Sensitivity.
>>
>>54185625
They are not that bad, but you WILL be the underdog. And when you use their special feature of groveling? You will feel stupid.
>>
>>54183793
Elven Subraces are mentioned in Sword Coast Adventurers Guide without stat blocks.

The Section on Creating Subraces in the DMG covers the Elven Subrace of Eladrin.
>>
>>54185613
unrestricted for the most part, it's assumed your character has been working towards his multiclass prior to reaching that level.

Warlock and maybe sorcerer would be the only ones I personally would want to work with the DM with to justify
>>
>>54185568
I severely doubt that is the case for most UA classes, usually they are useless to mediocre in terms of balance save for stuff like lore mastery or treachery oath which dont even need multiclassing to be absurdly strong.
>>
File: Haymaker clarification.png (66KB, 1598x420px) Image search: [Google]
Haymaker clarification.png
66KB, 1598x420px
>>54185436
>Simply the weapon attacks.
So, the way your DM is doing it makes sense and is what most people would think to do with this ability, but it is also wrong. Pic related from the creator of the class.
>>
>>54185678
ok it may not be that most UAs are OP to multiclass, but most OP multiclass use UA's.
>>
>>54185613
Absolutely the latter. It helps remind munchkins that they're playing a role playing game and not just a combat simulator.
>>
So, I have a question, guys. I'm fairly new to D&D and I'm currently playing my first Campaign (5E).

Whenever I'm finished with this, I wanted my second character for a separate Campaign to be something with a Bloodline Trait. I read about Bloodline traits in the Unearthed Arcana published in 2004, so I understand it was for 3.5 E. Are these traits allowed in 5e mechanically, would they even work? Or is it basically all up to the DM, as with most things?

I really enjoy the lore for Cloud Giants, so I was thinking something with Cloud Giant blood. That said, I'm having a hard time determining what race I should choose.

Most of it stems from me being a picky ass-hat, what with my distaste for wanting to play Elves and Humans. I was wondering what you guys think would translate well, if only purely aesthetically? With Cloud Giant physical traits, I mean.
>>
>>54185767
Goliath, they have strong ties to giants
>>
>>54185613
Just doesn't allow MC at all
>>
>>54185767
>Are these traits allowed in 5e mechanically, would they even work?
The answer is no, those are completely different games.
>That said, I'm having a hard time determining what race I should choose.
Goliaths and firbolgs both have ties to giants.
>>
>>54175453
Artificer and Mystic will basically 100% confirmed NOT be done in time for XGE. I hope we can get Re.Ranger at least.

>>54176293
The build with martial dice had a lot of differences from now, and compared to "play a BM but never use dice" literally any other choice would be better, even if only marginally so.

>>54178064
>Apparently pronounces it rape--ee--er.
I usually say ray--peer.

>>54178810
About half of the barbarian's Path features should operate outside of rage. Their unarmed damage doesn't need to scale though. Just set it at whatever value is balanced for the Path. You get bonus damage from rage improvements instead.

>>54179149
Yes.
>Moderately/heavily armored v.Human.
>Mountain Dwarf.
>Dex/Cha and look for Str gloves/belt.
>>54181344
I'd recommend the v.Human one for you to try. It's rather limited though it can hit the right notes.

>>54182475
>Don't take shit like summoning Shadows
Are you asking soul knives not to be supremely edgy here? Seems kinda hopeless.

>>54183689
I think that's why Arcane Archers have to use a Bow and Kensai get special allowance for Longbows (but can use hand crossbows anyway.)
>>
>>54185383
Take the revised ones, Sorcerrer UA, Barbarian UA, Cleric UA, Ranger & Rogue UA.

Downtime UA and all FEAT UAs are obligatory.
>>
>>54184450
High ElfCleric
>>
>>54184450
Half-Elf Rogue
>>
>>54186017
>not the warlock one
why do you want them to remain shit?
>>
>>54184450

Lizardfolk Death Cleric
>>
How would a good aligned death deity act?
>>
>>54186111
>It's not fair!
>On the contrary, death is the ultimate fairness; rich and poor, young and old, all are equal in death. You would not like to see the Jackal God play favourites.
>>
>>54186138

>jackal god
>implying he doesn't let rich people take all their possessions with them to the next life
>>
>>54186017
>all FEAT UAs are obligatory.
No, feats are bad
>>
>>54186111
Halfling death god
Just worshipping them out of fear
>>
>>54186168
Explain why.
>>
>>54182791
Whats so bad about the orc's?
>>
>>54186111
I'd just take Death from Discworld and make him kinder and more empathetic.
>>
>>54186168

some of the feats seem like things anyone should be able to do

>trained in how to fight with a shield
>can't attempt to put my shield between myself and a magical attack unless I took the feat for it

some of this shit is just bonkers
>>
My DM is being a cunt: we are playing in the FR, I rolled a drow warlock, everything was fine after he warned me a big part of the campaign would happen outside and he wasnt going to ignore sunlight sensitivity.

Whatever my plan is to carry around an umbrella so she doesnt get the penalty.

The problem came when I told him that my character is the sister evil forgotten sister of Drizzt, I want it for flavour mostly and maybe he can tailor a quest for me to kill Drizzt (in the future obviously). How can I convince him that the DM is not the only one who decides about storytelling, I mean his decision is final but restricting players so much is what shitty dms do. A good (non autistic) DM rolls with the ideas of the players.
>>
>>54186202
Disbalanced and Choice Paralysis
>>
>>54186202
Not him, but most feats offer you a stat increase, a boost to a skill, and something you should be able to do already, with no feat.
> While performing, you can try to distract one humanoid you can see who can see and hear you. Make a Charisma (Performance) check contested by the humanoid’s Wisdom (Insight) check. If your check succeeds, you grab the humanoid’s attention enough that it makes Wisdom (Perception) and Intelligence (Investigation) checks with disadvantage until you stop performing.
Wait, I need a feat to do THAT?
>>
>>54183206
Grave domain*
Dont be a tard anon
>>
>>54186215
What can the harvest hope for, if not the care of the reaper man?
>>
>>54186233
>My character is a drow warlock, who's a sister to Drizzt
HOLY SHIT. Unless this is bait, this is the first time I see a live one. I've thought that's the stuff of legends!
>>
>>54186233
>The problem came when I told him that my character is the sister evil forgotten sister of Drizzt
>>
>>54186286
>this persons knows about the FR lore and wants to tailor the background of his character to it
>bait

I am just someone who spends some time researching the setting, I bet you are a power gamer with no backstory.
>>
>>54186245

without the feat, being able to do that would depend heavily on the player thinking up an actual distraction to keep the enemy's attention.

With the feat, you just have to make a roll.
>>
>>54186341
Sorry about the typo I wrote sister twice, I know. Can we foxus in content instead of my phone messing up?
>>
>>54186359
What do you mean, actual distraction? Distracting people with music, or street perfomance, or magic shows is a centuries old pickpocket tradition.
>>
>>54186401
Anon, we're mocking you for making your character a relative of a canon character. This is universally considered to be bad taste.
>>
>>54186233
>Sister of drizzt
Kill your self
Dm's cant take away all of your power in your backstory thats true for instance if i pick the noble background and make up my noble house that is now a house of nobles that exist somewhere in the world
Dm's like that kind of shit it makes their job easier
What you did is cringy and bad you picked a named npc that existed in dnd and said "im related to that"
And your evil to top it all off
Seriously off your self dude
>>
>>54186413

>"I play my music distractingly"
>"ok, the guy doesn't pay any attention to you"
>*roll performance, roll high*
>"you play well, but the guy doesn't care for the genre so he's still not distracted"

without the feat there's no reason it has to come down to the guy's insight roll contested by your performance
>>
>>54185475

First let me say you can eyeball a lot of this if you want, but here are some guidelines.

1. First figure out what the party's objective with the combat is. Does that objective have a failure condition? If not, you should make your own failure condition that isn't just "The players die". For instance, when combat starts, if they players are just trying to kill some dudes without being killed themselves, you might inform them that a strong group of reinforcements for the enemy is on their way. If the players don't get the dudes killed before the reinforcements arrive, bad things happen. Figure out what the enemy force's objective is.

2. Decide how hard you want the encounter to be, based on how long you want it to last. A very hard encounter should last 4 rounds of turns, with each lower grade of difficulty (hard, average, and easy) lowering that count by 1. Now multiply the round duration by the number of players, and divide by 2. This is the minimum number of successful skill checks or damage attempts the players need to have to avoid whatever failure consequences you defined in the first step. It seems complicated, but in practice you'll figure out these numbers once for each grade of difficulty and then use them for the rest of the campaign, since the number of players doesn't change for most groups. I play with 4 players, so to avoid failure, the players need to get 2/4/6/8 successful turns based on difficulty.

3. Let the players take their turns in whatever order they want (so long as everybody takes one turn before anyone takes a second), and after each player turn, describe the enemy's counter move. A counter move might be an attack against one of the players, or it might be furthering the enemy's objective with the combat. For instance, a vile sorcerer might make a counter move of fleeing into a ritual circle that protects him from damage and beginning an ominous chant, or he might just eldritch blast one of the players.

Cont.
>>
>>54186438
I'm lawful evil, I wont fuck with the party. Even in AL LE is allowed.
>>
File: 200_s.gif (9KB, 328x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
9KB, 328x200px
>>54186461
I don't think you understand, anon
>>
>>54186480
Ok fine
But still how are you gonna rationalize that you picked a famous drow and said "i am his forgotten also evil sister and maybe you can make a quest where i kill him"
its not as bad as other shit but just fucking relax on the backstory a little bit not every character you make has to be a descendant from a famous npc
>>
>>54186517
>not every character you make has to be a descendant from a famous npc
but how else will other people know that I'm special?
>>
>>54186358
The issue is that your backstory is incredibly mary sue like, and your DM probably doesn't want to include Drizzt in his campaign.

There's good ways to link your character to the setting (I'm a merchant from Athklata for example) and there's the shitty way (I'm the long lost sister of some super special character and you better include that character or you're a shit dm)

It also makes your DM's job much harder, if you pick noble background for example. You and your DM are free to make up some noble house, from some place, he can make you related to a semi-important character in the setting. It makes you kind of important but in a way the DM can manage
>>
So if I am a Tempest Cleric using a whip and I get Spell Sniper as a feat, grab Booming Blade and use it on an enemy who is standing 5 feet from me. Now, if the enemy uses his movement to reach me, the booming blade triggers and I get to roll 2d8 thunder damage (at level 6) and I apply Thunderbolt Strike to push him 10 feet away. Do I get an opportunity attack?
>>
>>54186553
Well, at least we know how special you are.
>>
>>54186625
>Power gaming this hard
Also yes
>>
>>54186625
no
>>
>>54186625
>Do I get an opportunity attack?
Forced movement does not provoke opportunity attacks.
>>
>>54186358
Why no be a random girl that hear stories of Drizzt and admires him? Why you have to be his sister especially?
>>
THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS

my group has been on hiatus for a couple of months. the party had just "inherited" some land(+villages) and a reasonably nice house. I want to give them each a pair of free levels.

>the Ranger wanted to focus on being a reasonably effective socioeconomic leader. was an elf slave, now wants to emulate prior master.

>the Cleric is a religious/ceremonial cannibal, with no strong stated motivations. on the run from her home clan for NOT killing and eating her parents. likes tall places.

>the Druid focused Non-combat as his primary role, freely gives advice, assistance, and money to those in need of it. a Death Cultist who thinks that a good life leads to a good death.

I want to give them a few choices and let them simply have one class the get 2 levels in.(or just give them 2 levels in their chosen classes...)
>>
>>54186678
It is more dramatic and makes for a better story when I get to interact with him.
>>
>>54186658
>Implying im not going for a thematic whip using Tempest Cleric pirate who wants to command the storms on the ocean to become the greatest pirate lord ever.

>>54186658
>>54186664
Ah well
>>
>>54186735
i was wrong btw
Forced movment does not incur a opportunity attack
>>
>>54182540
Hi guys,

I will DM a session within a week. At first I wanted to create an adventure on my own, as I usually do. However, I haven't found the time preparing this.

Could you recommend an adventure for 5e? Preferably a one-shot or at least a shorter adventure than the big campaigns? My group consists of 8 players of level 5. However, most likely only six players will be present. The level does not have to fit perfectly. Adjusting encounters won't be a problem.

Thanks guys.
>>
>>54186625
Thunderbolt Strike only triggers off of lightning damage you dumb dip doofus
>>
File: image.jpg (29KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29KB, 625x626px
>>54186233
>>
>>54186722
>Forcing your dm to include a famous npc because you want to interact with him and be his sister
Dude a pre made noose is only like 5 dollars
>>
>>54186210
You mean apart from how they're literally a shittier version of Half-Orcs, with Relentless Endurance (shrug off a killing blow 1/day) and Savage Attacks (+1 damage dice when critting with a melee weapon) replaced by Aggressive (extra move per turn so long as getting to the enemy) and Powerful Build (+1 size category to determine how much stuff you can lift, push, pull, drag or carry), with -2 Intelligence stacked on top?
>>
>>54186478
4. Damage can substitute for successful skill checks. For this, I've been eyeballing a fair conversion rate based on the average damage of the party. Just try to guess it, and don't be afraid to change this number on the fly. Or you can try to find a good way to standardize it, I would be all ears. But basically my system is, for every 30 damage my players do, I count that as one success. As their damage increases, I will increase the damage threshold required for a success. If we start a new campaign, I'll reset the damage to something more appropriate for a lower level (my gut tells me 10 damage per success would be good at level 1). The goal is to make it so the party can get successes with damage about as often as they can get successes with skill challenges. Note that attacks behave normally (to hit vs AC, which you decide when creating the encounter)

5. Spells: if a player wants to use a spell in a nonstandard way, let them. A successful spell utilized in a nonstandard way is about equal to one success.

6. Never talk meta about this system to the players. Don't say "okay, you get one success" or anything like that. Just narrate the events, with successes resulting in positive turns in the battle, and failures resulting in negative turns. Always try to complicate the battle by describing objects in the battlefield, or changing circumstances at the start of a new turn.

5. Tweaks: there are so many ways to tweak this. You can make an encounter harder by increasing the average DC for the skill challenges, the AC of the monsters, or the duration. Or any other factor. You can reward creativity with huge effects (or extra successes), or punish boring, passive play, with the enemies getting creative, and imposing disadvantages and conditions on the players. Spice things up with conditions as a way of mechanically changing the battlefield. Cont.
>>
>>54186754
Oh right lightning and thunder are two different damage types.

Lets hope my new to D&D DM isn't going to notice :^)
>>
>>54186796
That is gay
>>
Can someone help be pull together these plot strings?

Players are level 6 now and I figure it's time to give them a longer, more proper story arc instead of jobs that take a session or two. Death Domain Cleric, follower of Kelemvor, met a Tiefling who follows Shar. Essentially Shar is corrupting Kelemvor to expand her own power and influence.

Here's what I have so far: The wizard of the party is contracted along with the rest of the party to travel with an old Mage's College professor to explore some ruins. Lust comes with, but is working against the party. What could her and Shar be planning together? What is their ultimate goal and how are they trying to achieve it?

Sorry if it's kinda stupid but I'm bad at coming up with long story arcs.
>>
>>54186866
>Death domain kelemvor
Are you gay or did he just not take grave domain because he is gay?
>>
>>54186889
Are you 12?
>>
>>54186808
>cheating at D&D
>>
>>54186233
...Wow, seriously? Wow. Wow. I'm with >>54186286.

>>54186722
Why DRIZZT, though? There's tons of better drow options. Make your character a Baenre and she'll be related to both Jarlaxle and Liriel.

Like, of every possible named character you could have made your own related to, you chose the one that was CERTAIN to get you into trouble.
>>
>>54186889
I fucked up and forgot the name, yes, he's an Unearthed Arcana Grave Domain.
>>
>>54186889
Whats the difference between death and grave clerics?
>>
>>54186722
And your DM might not want to include Drizzt in his campaign, it's a huge fucking continent
>>
>>54186943
one focuses on pulling things out of graves, one focuses on putting things back into graves.
>>
>>54186943
Death domain is only in the DMG, mostly used for villains. Grave domain is from UA.
>>
>>54184450

Tied between Dwarf Fighter and Dwarf Barbarian.
>>
>>54186973
Actually, you'll find that death domain cleric is not much of a necromancer. That role was given to oathbreaker, for some reason.
>>
>>54187012
yeh, my joke was more important than actually looking things up.
>>
File: euronymous.jpg (112KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
euronymous.jpg
112KB, 1000x1000px
>>54186808
>>
>>54186799
Finally, use the environment to encourage skill checks more too. A lot of my encounters now end up as highly mobile fights across the rooftops of a city, or chariot races through the streets, or fights across ships in a whirlpool. A good way of visualizing this is to decide on a direction that the encounter should move in. Enemies move towards objectives, or maybe one side is fleeing the other. Give them the tools to do this. If you give the players a mobile environment, full of changing obstacles and opportunities, they'll do unpredictable things with them.

Players don't trigger opportunity attacks unless they're surrounded on all sides.

I'm sure there's something I've forgotten, but so much of it has been made up on the spot that it's been surprisingly difficult to write it all down. I hope it's helped you. I've found it's really helped me make combat way more interesting, for me and my players.
>>
This is probably not the right place to ask, but... anons? In a 5e setting that is essentially an 80s flavored take on Star Fantasy ("D&D IN SPACE!"), is a race of Neo-Barbarian Amazon Catgirls too ridiculous?

Like... imagine if an Asari and Aisha Clan-Clan had a couple hundred kittens, and then they dumped them all on a Pulp Venus expy with nothing but Conan novels to base their culture on. Then somebody gave them access to star-flight.

For comparison, the official Spelljammer races include foul-mouthed flying monkeys, gorilla-people, greedy merchant centipede-taurs, arrogant lizard-taurs, the Xixchil (mad biologist mantis-people) the Giff (firearm-obsessed pompous mercenary hippo-people) and the Hurwaeti, who are... I don't really know, some sort of Ferengi rip-off?
>>
>>54186808
just use lightning lure, so you can yo-yo people.
>>
>>54187085
Please do society a favour and kill yourself.
>>
>>54187085
>with nothing but Conan novels to base their culture on. Then somebody gave them access to star-flight.
So...Aisha Clan-Clan?
>>
>>54186808
you don't even get an OoA from forced movement but Lets hope your new to D&D DM isn't going to notice :^)
>>
>>54186943
Death Domain Clerics are mostly orientated towards the Evil Death Cleric archetype. They're primarily flavored as servitors of Death Gods who want to actively kill people, like Nerull.

Grave Domain Clerics are flavored as Good Death Clerics, servitors of Death Gods who want to destroy the undead and preserve the sanctity of death, or at least keep the cycle of life flowing smoothly.
>>
>>54187085
That's fine anon. I don't understand what Aisha Clan-Clan is, but the race seems fine. You'll probably want to get a feel for your group's opinions on cat-girls though, because this is triggering my magical realm warning bell a bit.
>>
>>54185545

Because you can use any ammunition weapon with it. The idea isn't to nerf hand crossbows, but to broaden the viability of longbows and heavy crossbows (or shortbows and light crossbows too, or even slings).

The set damage of 1d4 is to prevent it being a 1d10 shot from a Heavy Xbow; comparable to PAM's 1d4 hit.

Hand crossbows would still be useful because you could fire them after attacking with, say, a melee weapon (other crossbows are two-handed), but they would no longer be the ONLY choice for ranged combat.
>>
>>54187043
>>54186916
>>54187125
Fine fine I'll just use Wrath of the Storm if people get too close

>>54187086
I can get behind this
>>
File: swamp.jpg (657KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
swamp.jpg
657KB, 1920x1200px
QUICK, GIVE ME YOUR BEST SWAMP ENCOUNTERS, LEVEL DOESN'T MATTER
>>
>>54187135
Oh cool thanks
>>
>>54187117
>>54187142
Huh, and I thought /tg/ still remembered Outlaw Star? Aisha Clan-Clan was a main character who belonged to the C'tarl-C'tarl; arrogant, super-strong catpeople who could turn into giant alien cat-monsters.
>>
>>54187154
LIZARD FOLK
THAT SWAMP MONSTER PLANT THING I FORGET ITS NAME
A TRIBE OF GOBLINS
SOME SWAMP ORCS
BOG WITCH (OR A HAG THATS COOL)
>>
>>54187154
Hag coven
>>
>>54183732
Please tell me more about what you think are cancer builds.
>>
>>54185613
Justification, sure. Work, maybe less so.

I wouldn't make a player jump through major hoops in-game just to make their planned build, but they should at least be able to come up with a convincing background or story why they planned it that way.
>>
>>54187154
Shambling mound + Will O Wisp combo.
>>
Our party found a magical pillar made of stone and want to take it with us. The problem is that it weights about 4000 lbs and even with all six of us there's just not enough strength to carry the damn thing.
Any good spells or tricks for moving large objects? We just need to take it out of the dungeon and hide it so we can pick it up later when we need it.
>>
>>54187212
Reduce on the object
Enlarge on your strongest man
ez pz
>>
>>54187186
>Women with a Lust for Men!
I like how this is stated as some unusual societal convention-defying premise.
>>
>>54187212
If you guys seriously can't figure it out (I can think of at least three spells off the top of my head) you are too stupid to be taking a magical anything anywhere.
>>
>>54187250
I'm not a creative man which is why I play a fighter. Our casters seem to be almost as dumb as me though.
>>54187241
If only our wizard took spells other than "blast the baddie".
>>
File: latest.png (369KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
369KB, 800x450px
>>54187154
CATOBLEPAS
IT SHOOTS DEATH RAYS
>>
>>54186111
Sort of a "rejoice for those who become one with the Force" sort of god.
>God of the Cycle
>Deity of Birth, Life, and Death
>All are natural phases of existence for mortal souls
>death is not something to be feared; identity your life to bring joy to your friends and family and you will have peace in death.
>>
I allow my players to multiclass unearthed arcana
>>
>>54187243
PIV is rape
Rape is unwanted
Therefore women cannot want men.

QED
>>
How do I keep all the core settings described in appendices B and C of the player's handbook as lore friendly as possible?

Like should Dragonborn and Tieflings only be played on FR games?
>>
>>54187305
>I'm not a creative man which is why I play a fighter. Our casters seem to be almost as dumb as me though.
then you guys should probably just leave the damn thing where it is.
>>
>>54187305
>inb4 he is a evocationist
>>
>Come up with character concept
>Forget about it
>Can't remember it now

This happen to anyone else?
>>
What are some generic character flaws that are creative and interesting to play but won't annoy the other players?
>>
>>54185680
>Haymakers officially confirmed to allow maximizing damage on fireballs even though it doesn't use an attack roll

What a shit author.
>>
>>54187417
depends, how reasonable is your group?
>>
>>54186401
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here, anon, because Drizzt's heyday was 10+ years ago, but "I'm the previously-unknown/long lost cousin/sibling/roommate of Drizzt" is one of, if not THE biggest cliché in D&D, particularly of Mary Sue or edgelord characters.
That, combined with the original Unearthed Arcana (like, the actual published splat for old-school D&D) having Drow as a blatantly overpowered player race meant that entire D&D parties were full or Drizzt clones, each more moronic than the last.
Your character idea was stupid to start with, but you've also stumbled on an incredibly common and uncreative cliché while you were at it.
>>
>>54187313
swell. me too
>>
>>54187337
Tieflings make sense in any setting with access to devils and outer planes, so they fit in anywhere except maybe Dark Sun.

Dragonborn make sense in Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance (as reformed draconians) and maybe Eberron, but only because Keith Baker said that anything that exists in D&D exists in Eberron.
>>
>>54187154

Black Dragon, who swims and flies around while the PCs keep getting yanked underwater by its lair actions and struggle to reach it due to difficult swamp terrain.
>>
>>54183933
>>54184027
There are too many fucking elves. 4E should have killed more of them.

Anyway, Teleport elves are Eladrin now, and they misty step once per short or long rest. You can use that for a guideline, you point-eared treehugger.
>>
As a person who've roleplayed (read forever-gm'ed) for about 10 years, yet has never played D&D before (not american) how good is 5e?

I've recently had a craving for some more standard-type fantasy shit, so I figured I might just as well cut my teeth on DnD.

Now I have actually tried Pathfinder, and thought it was the shittiest thing I ever touched. And therefore I do have some worries about 5e. How prevalent are alignments? Can I ignore them? How superhero-y is it in later levels? How much combat is it in published adventures?

I mostly have my eyes on Curse of Stradh, since it seems very combat-light and focuses more on interactions and choices.

Tl;Dr: Is 5e and curse of Stradh good or at least not shit?
>>
File: sane individual.png (60KB, 309x212px) Image search: [Google]
sane individual.png
60KB, 309x212px
>>54187154
A DIRE STORK/SHOEBILL THAT IS PARTICULARLY PISSED OFF.
A WERECROCODILE.
A WARBAND OF BULLYWUGS ARMED WITH WHIPS, NETS AND TRIDENTS LED BY A SINGLE DEATH SLAAD DUALWIELDING SICKLES.
OOZES/JELLIES THAT HIDE IN THE TREES AND DROP ON YOU FROM ABOVE.
GIANT MOSQUITOS.
SOME SORT OF AN ANGRY GIANT CENTIPEDE LIVING INSIDE A MASSIVE STUMP THAT ONLY CRAWLS OUT TO ATTACK.
EXPLOSIVE BOG MUMMIES FILLED WITH METHANE GAS.
A DIRE SNAPPING TURTLE PRETENDING TO BE A SMALL ISLAND OF SOLID LAND.
A MOHRG DRUID WITH VINES INSTEAD OF THOSE WORM THINGS.
>>
>>54187154
The players are at the beginning of the swamp, where the river feeding it makes a slow transition from fresh water to swamp water. While camping there, they hear a chorus arise from all sides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qw6Hon013E
>>
>>54187337
Dragonborn can work anywhere - try to have a "get to yes" philosophy about things like that.

In Eberron, say, dragons are fairly isolationist, but they're always interested in developments in the Prophesy.

If a community of previously-unknown population of Dragonborn suddenly emerged somewhere in Khorvaire, and suddenly experienced a major surge in population growth, you could say that it happened because some dragon was trying to investigate some shit with the Prophesy and it mutated the life nearby, or whatever.
>>
>>54184056
>Artificer Tradition Wizard
You mean 3E wizard with item creation feats? Yeah, it's pretty good. Not really what people mean by Artificer though.

> whopping 40 hit points for the cost of a 3rd level spellslot, and thats terrible.
Especially with the cost of the feat, yeah. It's pretty bad. Aura of Vitality heals 70 and Prayer of Healing heals up to (3d8+wis)*6 at that level. Shit. That's level 1 goodberries with disciple of life. That's pathetic.
>>
>>54187648
>How prevalent are alignments? Can I ignore them?
Alignments exist, but they have almost zero mechanical effects. When it does, it's minor so you can just houserule it way (e.g., RAW, the spell Spiritual Guardians deals radiant damage if you're good/neutral or necrotic if you're evil)
>>
>>54187677
i pretty much always allow every race unless races have been exterminated or whatever
Except for teifling Because they were elves
Elves have 700+ years to obtain power why make a pact with a devil? it just doesn't make any sense
If they had been any other race id accepted it and moved on
>>
>>54187424
I think it's a badly designed ability, but there's no way it does that.
>before you make an attack roll with an unarmed Strike or with a pugilist weapon...
>until the end of this turn
Show me a way to get a fireball on the same turn you make an attack with an unarmed/weapon attack
>>
>>54187751
>I pretty much always allow ever race except for this race that I'm autistic about.
>>
>>54187751
>Elves have 700+ years to obtain power why make a pact with a devil? it just doesn't make any sense
So they can make the pact, get power now, and then spend 700+ years gaining even more power
>>
>>54187784
You right but then again ive never had a non autistic person want to play a teifling
>>
>>54187771
The most obvious is from quickened spell from sorcerer.

However, if you have something like a magic item and someone casts 'haste' on you, you can make an attack and then proceed to maximize magic item damage.

Or maximize smite damage.

Or maximize warlock smite damage.
Or whatever.
>>
>>54184265
Ok, it's magic, so this is gonna be a little bit metaphysical, but imagine there's like, a rope or a cord stretching out from the aegis to me, the caster. Now, when someone hits that aegis, it causes the cord to snap. If I know that's coming, I can hold onto the cord and ride that snap to the aegis.
>>
>>54187648
The quality of Curse of Stradh really depends on the DM. If the DM can create a really creepy atmosphere and a convincing Stradh its great. If the DM doesn't do those things, it falls really flat
>>
>>54187771
haste, action surge
>>
>>54187856
But then there's no reason you can't just snap it yourself, is there?
So you should be able to do it all the time. It's no different if an enemy does it or you do it.
>>
>>54187811
i guess you are right but still it doesn't seem like a house of elves would manage to make a pact with a devil and then keep that shit going for as long as they need to produce off springs
Feel like some righteous elf druids/clerics/paladins would should them down pretty quick
>>
>>54187648
>How prevalent are alignments? Can I ignore them?
They lack any mechanical value (imo it should've been abolished), they serve more as guidelines for the classic "I'm Chaotic Neutral, that's what my character would do!" than actual gameplay.

>How much combat is it in published adventures?
My experience with adventures (Lost Mines of Phandelver and Hoard of the Dragon Queen) is that some of the combat can be "skipped" through roleplay (i.e. negotiate with a monster instead of fighting it). Both have roleplay-heavy sections.
>>
>>54187648
>How good is 5e?
I enjoy it a lot. I started D&D in 3e, played Pathfinder and a bunch of other systems, but I always had a desire to return to D&D, but hated how clunky and finely-detailed everything was.
I was turned off by 4e's hyper-boner for equal balance systems so didn't try it; unlike some here I don't mind class power disparity somewhat as long as it's not overwhelming.

5e's got some rules complexity to sink your teeth into, but an appealing light touch to the rules that doesn't require you to always be asking the devs "what exact definition are you using for this word?" Like movement, for example. You don't have a "move action", you can split your move, whatever. You can just move (or not) on your turn.

I don't know what *about* Pathfinder you hated, so I can't say if 5e will address it (it's still fundamentally D&D), but overall the system has felt like a breath of fresh air that let me return to a game I always wanted to play but had gotten far too muddy and complex for my taste.
>>
>>54187751
>except for tiefling because they were elves
What? Says who? You're justifying excluding them based on a quality they don't have.
>>
>>54187648
Best way to run alignments is that your character defines his alignment not the other way around
If you are a dwarf you like doing good and upholding the law you are lawfully good
If you are a sorcerer who doesn't really care for law and cares only for him self you might be neutral evil
don't restrict your self based on alignments they just kinda serve as a reminder of what your character has done
>>
>>54182540
>Topic starter: Assuming WotC gets the time/people/resources to start publishing more official material other than just more hard-cover adventure books, where do you want them to start?

I kind of don't want them to.

I get salty when class after class gets churned out that could honestly just be an archetype or multiclass build, so many races get piled into the game that you may as well have your own separate bestiary for playable races, when every splatbooks contains it's own goddamn grimoire of spells, so on and so forth you get the idea.

Making a decent psionic character was cool. The Mystic plays pretty well and feels mechanically different enough from casters to be interesting. But gods only know the last thing we need is "another spellcaster but with minor edits!", "a martial who attacks a lot!" or "more psionic classes even though we could just flesh this one out!".

5E was on the right track with martials by making everyone who focuses on weapons-centric combat a Battlemaster, all it needed was more depth.

We didn't even need twelve classes to keep the game interesting. Five or six, blend in the more niche classes with the more general ones, and focus on giving classes and archetypes more interesting things than "here's a spell list".
>>
I'm going to be playing 5E soon, with my only previous experience being pathfinder. Can I get a super brief primer on the main differences between the two? Not just basic "here are the rules differences", but the more sweeping changes as to what sort of game it is.
>>
>>54187824
>>54187879
Fair enough.
Still, I imagine no sane DM would allow it, and like I said, I think it's a badly conceived ability anyway.
>>
>>54187710
>You mean 3E wizard with item creation feats? Yeah, it's pretty good. Not really what people mean by Artificer though.
I know you're merely pretending to be retarded.
>Aura of Vitality heals 70
Except its not a burst heal capable of bringing a level 5-ish fighter from negatives to full/almost full HP. It also requires concentration and consuming a bonus action which can be spent on something more valuable like shoving with shield mastery or whatever. Burst healing is pretty much never a bad thing, just like burst damage is never a bad thing.
>Prayer of Healing heals up to (3d8+wis)*6
It's not a bad spell but multiplying that value by six is hardly fair in this argument since you'd have to have a party of six where everyone has taken damage, while its quite obvious that in most scenarios your frontliners are gonna be the one recieving the majority of the damage.
>That's level 1 goodberries with disciple of life.
Again, they will never have as much of a drastic effect on the outcome of the battle, and you'd have to waste 10 (ten) actions/rounds to stuff your face with those berries. Don't be silly.
>>
reminder that there is literally nothing wrong with adventure league
>>
>>54187942
holy fuck they are humans
jesus christ what was i smoking last time i looked at teiflings
still i dont like them they have more of a reason to exist now but i still just think that 90% of clerics/paladins/druids would just smite them
>>
>>54184450
Paladin/Warlock or Barbarian/Ranger
>>
>>54187990
Phb+1 rule is bullshit

Is oathbreaker AL legal btw?
>>
>>54187430
Quite reasonable.
>>
So, what do folks think of the new Amonkhet races and Cleric domains? Any fans?

...Come to think of it, shouldn't OP actually mention that we got a new Plane-Shift article?
>>
>>54188021
No.
>>
>>54188021
>Phb+1 rule is bullshit
of all the things to complain about, you pick this?
>>
>>54188022
then, unless your flaws are detrimental to the party you are golden. If they are detrimental, ask your party if they are okay with it first.
>>
>>54187154
IRRELEVANT OF LEVEL: VIRULENT SWAMP FOOT, HEAT EXHAUSTION AND QUICKSAND
>>
File: 1497247306144.png (27KB, 410x632px) Image search: [Google]
1497247306144.png
27KB, 410x632px
Looking at /tg/'s character sheets, what are these circles for, exactly?
>>
>>54187977
Yeah, they said '5e keeps it light on the ruling so I did too!' but then look at smites and realize that smiting requires you to hit with a melee weapon attack, not just 'start attacking and then you can smite everywhere I guess'

All they needed to say is
'Any weapon/unarmed strike damage dice are maximized' instead.
>>
>>54188021
I can't think of a lot of reasons you would even need to use more than one book
>>
>>54188062
Tick them/fill them in when you get the feature.
>>
>>54188096
Neat.
>>
>>54188068

you can't play any Volo's race with elemental Evil spells, for one
>>
>>54187969
1. Easier to do your thing as a martial. You can move and full attack and can split your move, whatever. Plus, no need to jump through hoops for Dex; if you use Dex to hit, you get Dex to damage.
2. Very few "trap" classes. Even the shittiest ones (core ranger, monk) are functional if underwhelming.
3. Concentration. You can have one concentration effect going, which greatly reigns in casters stacking things to absurd levels.
4. Extremely low emphasis on magic items. Classes are designed to function completely without them. Any magic items you get are a bonus to your power, as opposed to part of your "budget".

There's plenty of differences but those are probably the biggest in the core experience.
>>
>>54187990
What is AL is it like tourment level play if i was to compare it to vidya?
>>
>>54184472
Let's see, bearserker seems a little weak, and I don't think counts-as-magic is appropriate for level 3. That would make this the only barbarian able to naturally bypass weapon resistance with its attacks. Not broken, just weird.

Specifically, the level 10 and level 14 abilities suck. Level 10 is too ribbon, and level 14 is too redundant with bear hug. Consider an ability to grapple bigger things or toss/power bomb a grappled enemy for some special attack. Even a defensive ability like wielding an enemy as a shield might work out.

For all three, referencing the monk table is bad. I don't think "multiclass this with monk" is a good design for an archetype. They should primarily be based around not multiclassing into monk. All three classes typically stick with one weapon die throughout the game, only improving if they get a magic item. That means the unarmed damage die they use should also be static, not gradually improving like a monk.
>>
>>54188113
>3. Concentration. You can have one concentration effect going, which greatly reigns in casters stacking things to absurd levels.

this is my biggest problem with 5e. It comes across as such an artificial restriction.
>>
File: 1402619321294.png (342KB, 600x517px) Image search: [Google]
1402619321294.png
342KB, 600x517px
Thinking up a Zealot Barb themed around a Crusader, going to go Shield+[one-handed weapon fitting deity].

What are some good suggestions?
>>
>>54184485
It would make the feat stronger and no one would use hand crossbows. I don't think it functions quite right.
>>
>>54188150
for my first 3 games we forgot concentration existed
wanna know why?
We arent min maxing assholes who attempt to put 14+ buffs on us before the big fight
1-3 buffs is the max i allow before i start saying "remember concentration?"
Other then that concentration is just a way to limit you from being op but in turn it also makes wizards not be able to be crafty out side of combat which sucks
>>
>>54188011
>Paladin
>Barbarian
Those are my favorite races too
>>
>>54188150
Caster supremacy is two things: a meme and an actual problem.

The meme is that "casters always have spells that can do literally anything and solve all problems and make everyone irrelevant", and that's almost never actually been the case, except maybe for high-level wizards in 3e who exploit the "leave spell slots unprepared" rule.

The second, actual problem is that using certain combinations of spells, casters were better than martials at being martials, plus they had all their other spells to fall back on. This differed significantly depending on the caster, but it usually came down to buff stacking. One way or another, through various rules combinations people found ways to get any number of buffs on them that would last all day, which would allow them to drastically outperform martials.

Concentration puts a hard stop to that, plus their is always the risk of losing your buff anytime you're hit. It's not even that artificial; why wouldn't you need to concentrate to keep a magical effect going?
>>
>>54188152
*Suggestions for a diety, I mean.

One that could fit under the Light-cleric theme ideally
>>
>>54188249
>diety
Atkins the Lean, god of Low Carbs
>>
>>54188150
The concept of usually being only able to focus on maintaining one spell at a time makes as much sense to me as anything else when it comes to magic.
>>54188181
Back in 3.5 days it was more about how long you could get a buff than there being a shit ton of them. A cleric really only needed divine power and righteous might for example. Unless I'm misunderstanding you I'm pretty sure one guy trying to have 3 buffs despite concentration is at least equal to or greater than the problem of being a "min maxing asshole"
>>
>>54188293
spleling iz 4 nerds
>>
>>54188319
im not sure if you are misunderstanding me but i will say it plainly
we ignore concentration most of the time because we don't tend to do crazy minmaxy buff things at all
And if we do we restrict them to 1-3 buffs before we start hammering down the concentration rules
Like with detect magic and the other detect spells you cant be a sonar in our games for all that shit
But we might allow detect magic and detect evil to stack
Another one we agreed on was enlarge and reduce
If you enlarged your self and reduced a object so you could carry it easily its a good use of 2 spell slots
But you cant do that in the base game cause of concentration
>>
>>54188240
color spray is a single spell
>>
>>54188396
and in 5e, a really bad one.
>>
>>54184450
Current edition: any Half-elf skill-monkey in medium armour
Franchise: Human Warlord
Any System: Human loremaster
>>
>>54184450
Dorf Fighter
>>
>>54187086
>lightning lure tempest cleric yo-yo
>buddy with a plant growth druid
whew
>>
>>54188512
i hope you meant spike growth.
>>
>>54188380
I wouldn't allow it, but whatever works for your group. I just hope you aren't the same guy that complains that martials can't do enough compared to casters if your lowering caster restrictions like that
>>
What if no cantrips scaled except melee cantrips?
>>
>>54187086
It's actually stronger than you might think
>Pull enemy in
>Since they're right next to you you can decide which way they get knocked back instead of only going one way
>>
>>54188512

It hurts Anon. A friend of mine and I were going to do that, then another player got his Druid killed. So, so mad.
>>
>>54188566
nah i dont complain about that
Because if a player ever attempted that id just insert concetration rules and stop being nice so they can do cool out of combat shit
>>
>>54188580
For what purpose
>>
>>54188582
mostly, you'll have a cone of direction you can push them. If every square was labelled between 1 and 8 around you, if you pulled them to 1, you can't push them to 5
>>
>>54188580
Then warlocks would really suck
>>
>>54188633
Don't forget you're doing it on your turn.

Pull enemy in->move 5 ft->blast enemy

Attacks can be made between movement
>>
>>54188631
I don't see why they need a scaling attack that gets better than 1st level spells at some point
>>54188635
Yeah, meant to say EB too, if a warlock is using it.
>>
>>54188665
these, however, are not attacks. I don't necessarily disagree with you, but that is up to the GM at the very least.
>>
Gimme some somewhat original Totem Barb backstories!

Considering just "A city guard but with anger issues".
>>
>>54188771
>city guard with anger issues
And connected to the spirits of nature?
how the fuck did that happen
>>
So, Kenku can speak telepathically, how do you feel about this anons
>>
>>54188319
>>54188240

Certain spells have durations that last no matter what, certain spells have concentration, and certain spells have durations that can be broken under certain specific circumstances.

that just screams "artificially put there to limit you" to me. Why don't I have to concentrate on maintaining a resistance to poison?

When your solution to a lack of balance is to nerf the shit out of something, you've fucked up.
>>
>>54188803
dude really likes bears, don't judge him.
>>
>>54186478
>>54186799
>>54187066
You are a saint good sir.
I will see if I can put your legacy to good use.
>>
>>54188803
Yeah that's where the speed bump is.

Might just see about trading the nature shit for city shit, like Thieve's Cant they picked up from walkin' the beat.
>>
>>54187990
>free resurrections from factions under level 5
>as you get higher level the cost of a resurrection gets higher, even though the material cost of a rez is the same
>factions are less willing to resurrect more powerful and useful members of their faction

Literally what
>>
>>54188803
He chopped down the wrong tree and the spirits of nature within that tree took refuge in him
>>
>>54188771
Improv comic in a long running act. The last audience suggestion he received was "eagle fucker" Unknown to him, he was cursed by a wizard who didn't like the act to never receive another suggestion.
>>
>>54188803
His totem is a pigeon or a stray dog.
>>
File: 1499369868784.png (6KB, 335x261px) Image search: [Google]
1499369868784.png
6KB, 335x261px
welp the dream is dead
our group is officially on it's deatht throes
>>
>>54188817
>trading the nature shit
Everything about totem barbarian is nature shit
Id suggest if you really dont want to play a savage and sombody who grew up in the city go for a reformed savage
>>
>>54188811
well it was either nerfing them, or not including them.
>>
>>54187990
There is a high posibility to get weirdos, but I like it okay, all the people in my area are normal and fun to be around
>>
>>54188817
wait....if you take out the nature shit, that's all the totems. Why be totem barbarian if you don't want totems?
>>
>>54188849
>>54188882
Well the issue is that I'm trying to do PHB only shit, so Half-Orc city guard. Thing is that Berserker, the only other PHB Barb, is UTTER GARBAGE.

I'd rather not do the usual "outland savage where is da fightin :DDD" shit.
>>
>>54188894
Totem Barbarian -Totems is actually worse than berserker.
>>
>>54188894
like i said reformed
You dont have to be sterotypical barbarian man
but its the easiest way to go you sounded like you wanted a lazy backstory so thats what i provided
If you dont want a lazy one you got a handful of options
You have to connected to nature in some way to be a totem barbarian
you have to work out where your "rage" comes from presumably from the nature spirits
and thats all you got to check off you can be as fucking crazy and wacky as the next guy
>>
>>54188848
shit what happend anon give us the deets
>>
>>54188240
>>54188240
Caster supremacy in DnD isn't a meme, and it is an actual problem.

The problem can be broken down into subproblems:

1. The game is supposedly balanced around equal parts combat, exploration, social encounters. Martials are balanced around 100% combat, casters are typically balanced so as to be useful in all phases of the game.

2. The martial/caster dynamic is based around short rests and long rests being played in a way that nobody actually plays. Martials are always good for high damage (low utility), while casters can deal better damage and have more utility by consuming resources. The problem comes in that any party with a caster in it is probably going to take long rests as often as possible to allow that caster to cheese through everything. Also, this may be crazy to mearls: but people like being able to do cool, interesting, and unique shit more than once per session, so most groups tend to take long rests often to enable that. Which is a larger problem with 5e as a whole: The entire game is balanced around people doing the same thing in 95% of their turns. Martials excel when the game is played straight, but when players naturally avoid that boring gameplay, martials do worse comparatively speaking.
>>
File: IMG_0820.jpg (109KB, 488x516px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0820.jpg
109KB, 488x516px
>>54188970
>le casters are too good to play a martial
>>
>play weekly for two months, everyone having great time and wanting to play more
>take two weeks break because of one player's family plans
>Haven't played in two months and nobody responds in the group message
How does this happen every fucking time
>>
>Fighter uses all superiority dice and action surge
>'I need a rest guys'
>Keeps going on about a rest
>Have a rest after a while
>Next combat
>Does it again
>'I need a rest guys'
I'm glad she isn't playing a caster
>>
>>54188970
>Be caster
>Always talk people into NOT long resting
Maybe it's because I'm the party leader, or maybe because "Come on, guys, this is how the game was meant to be played" argument works, but we tend to take short rests. A lot.
We do have one guy who always blows all his spellslots in the first encounter, and then begs for the long rest though.
>>
>>54189012
As a high level caster I have way too many fucking spell slots I don't know what to do with them all
>>
>>54188678
Does it, though? Level 1 attack spells do less damage, but they have additional effects (area-of-effect, granting advantage on the next attack, etc.) that the cantrips don't. In any case, once you hit level 11 and can do 3d10 damage with fire bolt, spamming cantrips is probably not the best use of your action to begin with.
>>
>>54189012
>playing with battlemasterlets
>>
>>54188970
On today's episode of "didn't read the whole post before replying", we have Anon, who didn't read the whole post before replying.

>Casters can cheese through anything
This is the meme. Which spell lets you cheese through all exploration? Which spell lets you cheese through all social encounters? Which spell lets you cheese through all combat? Which class has all of those at once, from low levels?
>>
>>54189138
New thread.
>>
>>54189036
I'd imagine if they played a caster they would just start at the highest level slot on the first turn of combat and work their way down
>>
>>54189106
>Which spell lets you cheese through all exploration?

Divination
Goodberry
Find Familiar

>Which spell lets you cheese through all social encounters?

Any number of charm spells.

>Which spell lets you cheese through all combat?

Any number of AoE damage spells or AoE disabling spells.

With infinite access to long rests (which is what most people play), casters cheese through anything. Even if you erroneously think they don't, they do better than martials in every category.
>>
>>54188894
>Thing is that Berserker, the only other PHB Barb, is UTTER GARBAGE.

It's not that terrible. It has by far the best level 6 barbarian feature, and you can use the level 3 feature at least once a day at the end of the day and not have to worry about PAM quite as much.

It's not good, but it's not the worst thing. WOT4E is in a completely new league of 'terrible', on the other hand.
>>
>>54189106
the answer to all of those questions is, of course, fireball.

But in all seriousness, sure there isnt THE spell to trivialize each aspect of RPGs, but I can certainly name 2-3 spells that cover a major portion of each aspect

For Exploration, for example:
Teleport, tree stride, wind walk to trivialize travel time
Pass without Trace, to trivialize stealth
plus what >>54189173 said.

Social encounters, again, what >>54189173 said. Any/most charm spell can do it

Combat?
Low Level: Sleep
Mid Level: Hold person
High Level: Divine Word
>>
File: jesp.jpg (299KB, 1402x1600px) Image search: [Google]
jesp.jpg
299KB, 1402x1600px
>>54188970
>The problem comes in that any party with a caster in it is probably going to take long rests as often as possible to allow that caster to cheese through everything.

"As often as possible" isn't necessarily going to be all that often. Try taking a long rest in Barovia, see how well that works out for you.

My point being that this seems like a DM problem, not a system problem.
>>
>>54187212
Pulleys, levers, roll it down when possible.
>>
>>54189253
The system is balanced around 6-8 combat encounters per day. Most stories told in human history have more rest between combat encounters. Most stories told by your DM are going to naturally include more options for long rests and less encounters per day than the system needs to make martials work compared to casters.
>>
>>54188556
Yup.

>>54188593
I'm so sorry, anon.
>>
>>54189289
>The system is balanced around 6-8 combat encounters per day.

Have you played this game?
That's an insane number of encounters, unless you are talking about fighting 1 zombie at level 9 a "fight".
2-3 encounters that will challenge the party will be enough to drain them off their resources and hp.
Anything weaker and there is pretty much no point in wasting time on a pointless encounter.
>>
File: dmg.jpg (57KB, 415x380px) Image search: [Google]
dmg.jpg
57KB, 415x380px
>>54189732
I'm just using the DMG recommended guidelines for that figure. I don't actually run it that way, because narratively it rarely makes sense to. But that's what the game balance is.
>>
>>54189852
Sounds like that's either balanced at a very high level, or they count encounters as anything that uses resources, like sneaking past guards or going through traps or something.
>>
>>54189890
medium encounters are defined in the same section that that subsection is in. It's something that might require the characters use healing resources. The entire subsection is about balancing CRs of monsters to the players levels.

So it's level neutral, and definitely talking about combat anon. Page 82 in the DMG pdf if you're interested.
>>
>>54189852
>six to 8 medium or hard encounters

this is not survivable unless my DM just scales whit with no regard for the suggested difficulty
>>
>>54189995
>Not survivable
Not if you're shit.
>>
>>54190375
All of my groups play the way they want, like doing backflips and shit to be cool, with no regard to what would be tactical fighting.

So they're shit, but because they want to be.
>>
>>54190447
I find tactical play to be more fun. 'Rule of cool' sounds too childish and trying to evaluate a situation and come up with an effective tactic on the fly appeals more. But it kinda requires your DM to make encountesr interesting.
>>
>>54190375

most of the time hard fights mean "if you lose initiative against the enemy you're probably being KO'd in one round"

dunno how to not be shit unless I take alert feat, high DEX and also some class that gets boosts to initiative
>>
>>54190814
Unless the DM is springing hard fights on you with no warning or way to prep, you shouldn't set yourself against enemies in a way that's going to happen with low initiative.

You're either not positioned correctly, or fighting things too strong for you.
>>
File: the implication.jpg (135KB, 502x461px) Image search: [Google]
the implication.jpg
135KB, 502x461px
>>54190906

random encounter table lol
>>
>>54190974
not that anon, but anyone with a decent perception can negate most random encounters.
Thread posts: 411
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.