[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/csg/ Chess General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: e4 vs d4.png (25KB, 770x289px) Image search: [Google]
e4 vs d4.png
25KB, 770x289px
The Great Debate
>>
d4
King's pawn openings are boring
>>
>>54182003
Black has a lot more possible replies to 1. e4.
>>
e4 is for heroes. d4 is for cowards who want to hide behind a pawn wall.
>>
d4 openings are more positional (with exceptions), they require you to be at a slightly more advanced level of play.
>>
Neither is better than the other necessarily, it all boils down to personal taste. If you run down the list of world champions:

>Steinitz
d4
>Lasker
e4
>Capablanca
d4
>Alekhine
e4
>Euwe
d4
>Botvinnik
d4
>Smyslov
About 50/50 e4 and d4
>Tal
e4
>Petrosian
d4
>Spassky
e4
>Fischer
e4
>Karpov
About 50/50 e4 and d4
>Kasparov
e4
>Kramnik
e4
>Anand
d4
>Carlsen
e4
>>
>>54181969
I prefer pawn to c4
the english creates a lot of fun games
>>
my dad always leads with a4 / h4 and it's terrible
>>
Some e4 lines such as assorted French and Ruy Lopez variations lead to a closed game while some d4 lines such as the Albin Countergambit and Dutch Defense lead to an open game, but these are exceptions. The most commonly encountered e4 lines produce an open game while the most commonly encountered d4 lines produce a closed game.

That's why e4 openings are known as the Open/Semi-Open Game while d4 openings are known as the Closed/Semi-Closed Game.
>>
>>54181969

1. Nf3.

I won the coin toss, I got the white pieces, and I'm playing the opening of my choice. This is not up for debate.
>>
>>54182483
The Reti Opening? That shit is pretty advanced, I wouldn't recommend anyone under 1600-1800 try it.
>>
>>54181969
how to git gud at chess?
>inb4 memorize all the openings
>>
>>54182762
You need to learn basic principles like protecting your king properly, developing pieces quickly, and controlling the center.
>>
File: tenor (2).gif (657KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
tenor (2).gif
657KB, 256x192px
1.f3

I will bathe in the glorious mixture of our blood. Come, coward--it is time to die.
>>
>>54181969
The great debate is how much of a fucking nerd you are and you just solved that by posting about FUCKING CHESS.
>>
>>54183727
That's nice, honey, but the adults are talking. Why don't you go play your video games with your friends?
>>
>>54182762
eventually you just have to play a shit ton of games until you can recognize strong/weak patterns
>>
>>54183749
>he says, while shitposting on a Paraguay traditional weaving image board.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.