[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would a role playing game based off the world presented

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

What would a role playing game based off the world presented in the Yu-gi-oh card lore look like?
>>
>>54177301
Fucking stupid
>>
>>54177301
I'd rather have a card game.
>>
>>54177301
Starting factions include Freed's Army, Darkworld Kingdom, D.D. Agents and Goblin Army
>>
>>54177301
Literally the most jarring kitchen sink fantasy setting to end all kitchen sink fantasy settings.

You have fairy tale castles made of pudding next door to the demon space insects locked in an interdimensional war with the clockwork machine king. Just looking over the sheer variety of archetypes should give you a good idea of how little consistency the setting has.

Yu-gi-oh cards in general feel like they don't present a specific world though, more a collection of tales and battles from all across time and space. You'd be better off instead selecting from the various groups and building a world around those factions existing, but at that point you're just engaging in normal worldbuilding due to how many things the cards cover.

In the end, Yu-gi-oh might offer some neat inspiration for cool monsters or factions, but it won't serve you as an actual setting on its own.
>>
>>54177301
A knuckle sandwich you fucking nerd.
>>
>>54181510
>You have fairy tale castles made of pudding next door to the demon space insects locked in an interdimensional war with the clockwork machine king.

I'd play it.
>>
File: igiatRm.jpg (699KB, 1555x1325px) Image search: [Google]
igiatRm.jpg
699KB, 1555x1325px
>>54181510
There are solid frameworks within the Yugioh lore to build settings out of. The original card families I outlined here: >>54181486 was a solid generic fantasy setting with goblins, elves and demons. The Duel Terminals have legit full storylines told through the cards and are their own pocket universe that reboots continuously. Pic related is one of the character that lived in the DT universe.
>>
>>54181510
So like MTG then?
>>
>>54181581
>So like MTG then?
Yes, in a way
MTG has explicit self-contained, internally consistent world though
>>
>>54181581
Like MTG, except imagine all of the planes only have a shallow river dividing them instead that anyone can cross.

>>54181560
>>54181571
I actually did do some musings on the idea before, but part of the issue is just that there's so much stuff to sift through. Personally my preferred idea with it was to start with a baseline to try and build the world more theme-park style, having large swathes of terrain based around some of the original field-spell cards to sort of draw borders, and then expand them to a size that could fit all the factions that would suit such an area.

For example, having a huge mountain range far to the north, littered with dragons of all kinds along with some of the various wind and thunder monsters.

It ends up being a bit of a theme park style world if you do that, which could be fun, but plotting an adventure through it would also be tricky.
>>
>>54181510
that actually sounds really cool

that would be a great setting, where literally anything you can think of exists somewhere within the setting
>>
>>54181686
I guess the best idea would be to have a planning session where Players pick their favorite Field Spells or something and start to cobble the world together.
>>
>>54181703
Yeah, after I posted that and pondering it a bit more, it's making me think I'm just jaded. There's so many crazy and cool things in the yu-gi-oh universe. It has not one, but TWO factions centered around fire breathing dinosaurs.

>>54181720
Yeah, knowing what the players want to focus on is important. My general idea was to simply use the basic field spells as a bedrock (dragon mountains, warrior plains, bug forest, zombie wasteland, etc.) and then slot in more specific areas within those, like specifying an area in those dragon mountains where all the Red Eyes Black Dragons and their ilk commonly roost.
>>
>>54181686
It seems like something that would have been easier to work out towards the very beginning of the series.

Something I liked about the Duel Monsters era of things that from the start out that even with all the radically different elements it did almost feel like all the monsters were facets of one world setting. That tag-team duel in the labyrinth field I always liked not just because it was cool to see Yugi and Joey's monsters working together, but also that the whole thing almost seemed like it could have been some kind of adventure these characters had in their own reality in a way.
>>
I would love to play as my yu-gi-oh cards. And there are enough video games based on the tcg so it's no loss.
>>
File: 1241421352.jpg (88KB, 400x580px) Image search: [Google]
1241421352.jpg
88KB, 400x580px
>>54181686
Just set a limit on it. Like only using card from the first OCG booster pack, for example.

For races, you got your primitive, but energetic Hitotsu-Me Giants.
You got a magocracy of Elves led by the Dark Magician.
You got Kagemusha of the Blue Flame leading your militaristic humans, with Gaia the Fierce Knight as his champion.
Fish people led by the Furious Sea King.
Another, more devious human nation led by pic related.
Meotoko and Eyearmor seem like the same weird race.
>>
>>54181880
Yeah, the initial series was a bit more self contained and had less drastically different elements. While you did still have weird discrepancies like dragons with guns for their heads next to zombified clowns, there was a certain sort of style to it all that made it mesh, and it had the feeling that you were only seeing a portion of all the cards in the world, but that they were a piece of a larger, sensible whole.

I think the goal should be to capture that idea, that while all of these elements might seem out of place if you just try and list them all at once, the key is to introduce them slowly in ways that fit well together, like pieces of a puzzle. Sure, it'll be odd if you suddenly go from generic fantasy land into the mansion filled with cartoonishly adorable electric animals, just like it would be if you suddenly went to the quasar dimension full of supernova dragons.

>>54181942
I think both approaches could work. Either set a cutoff based on the release of packs for what seems like a good variety of classic monsters to build off of, or go through everything and pick and choose your favorites along with your players and fit them together in a way that gets a good tone.
>>
>>54177301
Exalted but with actions and particularly stunts fluffed as cards and their effects. "I Shoot the Moon" screams stunt to me.
>>
File: AttacktheMoon.png (272KB, 300x438px) Image search: [Google]
AttacktheMoon.png
272KB, 300x438px
>>54182074
Attacking the moon actually ended up going full circle, funnily enough
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.