[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Multiple systems in a campaign?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: role-playing-games-1.png (704KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
role-playing-games-1.png
704KB, 800x400px
Just curious, does anyone here use multiple systems in a campaign?
I know that certain games are better for running certain scenarios such as mass combat, tactical one-on-one, naval, dungeon crawling, etc, etc...
But have you ever used different systems in a campaign to handle those different aspects? And how did it work out if it did?
>>
The only time I ever tried this was a mecha game, using one system for on foot and another for in robots.

At least for me, it sucked and I'd never try it again, because inevitably there will be some attempt to interact between the two systems, and that will become and increasingly annoying clusterfuck of unintentional interactions until you scrap the whole thing and just stick to one system for both.
>>
Well that didn't take long....
Shameless self bump
>>
>>54172264
Thanks for your response. I thought tg would have more to say about this but sadly they have not so yet again another shameless self bump because because and magic and shit
>>
>>54172237
If you want to have a subsystem to deal with let's said off-screen out of adventure shit like running a shop or a pirate ship or a spaceship, don't be afraid to steal from other systems that already did it and convert some of the standards over. That's how I did it.

However, you should always stick to one system for most part as a rule. Only use other systems for references like what I said and convert over the parts that you want to use,

Your group aren't rocket scientists and you aren't paying them to play.
With that in mind, adjust appropriately so everyone can slack and enjoy themselves.
>>
There are some systems that are made to do that. ACKS Domains at War for instance is explicitly advertised as a kingdom builder/ mass combat supplement for any game that uses a d20 (ACKS itself included, by with regular D&D very much in mind).
>>
>>54172237
I been wanting to do a quantam leap type game for a while. With the same pcs jumping into different body's chasing someone.
But it will need alot of prep, pre gen is a must.

One of my favourite green text stories I read where someone started off in a solo campaign in dnd as a fighter and was saved from a dragon in the end by a rouge trader ship that belong to his dad who had just died.
>>
This thread reminds me of my greatest (/tg/-related) regret:

>old friend from high school keeps bugging me to join his D&D group
>finally do so
>it's 4e D&D and I've only ever played 3.5
>remake my "alter ego" character, an elf ranger
>he is shit because I am trying to make a dual-wielding dex build
>but it works out okay because rangers are actually good in 4e
>campaign is run by friend's dad who used to run AD&D
>about a year in they are curious about 3.5 and want to try it
>i run a short campaign for them
>they love it and want to switch
>DM says okay
>we convert the campaign to 3.5, same level, have to use some different classes
>turns out DM is NOT okay with this because the players learn 3.5 way more quickly than he does
>probably because they have more free time
>turns out the DM can't stand 3.5
>is used to 4e's "bounded" powers (i.e. mostly combat related and the utility stuff was fairly sober, as opposed to 3.5 magic being able to do almost anything)
>makes a giant ship as a dungeon to explore with a clever set up on how to disable it
>party druid with natural spell just shape shifts into a dolphin and uses warp wood to fuck its shit
>people turn invisibile and fly in and massacre 13th level wizards running the ship
>campaign starts to die
>still play with that group but now I am forever DM
>5e comes out and I realize it is at least somewhat more balanced than 3.5
>realize my friend's character could easily be rebuilt as an Eldritch Knight fighter
>no one wants to switch again and honestly neither do I
>we are like 2 sessions from finishing the campaign but the DM runs for us maybe once a month at best.

A lot of it had to do with him getting married and being busy but I honestly think that 3.5 killed his interest in the campaign. Which makes me really sad. he had all these cool challenges set up for us and accidentally said yes to a system thinking it'd be like 4e except a little different.

TLDR I ruined the best campaign I've ever played in
>>
>>54174468
That sounds awesome
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.