[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Planning on a campaign setting that is in a huge desert. How

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1484614956393.png (261KB, 1039x559px) Image search: [Google]
1484614956393.png
261KB, 1039x559px
Planning on a campaign setting that is in a huge desert. How can I best keep track of player's water usage?
>>
>>54171010
A tick box, same as rations. Easiest way to do it in general. Depending on the edition, though, water is probably not ever going to be a serious issue if they aren't bringing horses.
>>
>>54171010
Unless you're playing some hardcore survival system, I suggest not worrying about such things as provision, water or ammunition.
>>
>>54171031
I find a compromise between the two extremes to be best suited to general adventures. Just have a piece of papwr where you keep track of Rations, and a table where you keep track of ammunition that a character with a ranged weapon has. Each unit of Rations is enough food and water for 4-6 people for a single day of travel. Say it all weighs around 25lbs, costs an arbitrary amount of money depending on where you get it, and the players can decide who carries it or if they just get a wagon to haul it. You keep track of people's ammo, but they still have to keep track of their own ammo too. Your count is just used to fact-check theirs every once and a while to make sure they're not bullshitting you or just forgetting.
>>
>>54171010
Fill a single jerrycan before they arrive and then cut off the water to your house.
>>
>>54171010
How about using a stack of poker chips. Each time they drink they have to hand one over so they can panic as their water starts to drop.

Also have a sort of effect for not drinking it shouldn't be just no water one day is death.
Some negative number that keeps going up
>>
>>54174140
Also remember the 3s . 3 mins without air, 3 days without water 3 weeks without food.
>>
>>54174140
I like the idea of a physical reminder of your character's dependence on resources.

I suppose the thing that gets me is:
Do we prompt "check your water/food" when it is dramatic, or...
Do we set a clock, like
>>54174172 offers?
So the thing is, 3 days without water is a limit on survival, but your character will grow progressively shittier as they are continually denied water. And that should probably also be modeled.
>>
>>54171010
Look up a chart for water usage. Off the top of my head, with hard work in high heat humans use a quart an hour, with easy work, as little as 1/4 a quart.

Then charge them x quarts a day, unless something major happens like fleeing for their lives on foot or excavating a treasure site.

Don't worry about tracking every sip, just make sure they are aware water is a finite resource. If they're carrying 4 or 5 waterskins apiece and a keg on a mule you're doing it right.
>>
>>54171024
>because only horses consume water
>>
>>54174211
2 per day per drinker. That way they can go down to half rasions.
>>
File: double (you).gif (909KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
double (you).gif
909KB, 480x270px
>Create food/water
>>
>>54174725

Yet another reason why DnD is casual shit for easy mode players.
>>
>>54174381
Only horses consume an amount of water worth caring about in lots of editions of D&D, or literally anything that just lets you create food and water as a low level ability. That, or rangers/druids that can just 'find water/food' ez, no dice or powers needed. Not a fan of that shit myself, but it's something to consider.
>>
>>54174855
It functionally removes a spell slot, is only available to paladins and clerics, and a paladin wouldn't have access until level 9. A party of five each with a mount would require two castings per day.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.