[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/ - I have no related image for the topic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 37

File: autism triggering general.jpg (595KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
autism triggering general.jpg
595KB, 1024x682px
Last thread:
>>54094772
Pastebin:
>http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Prized gaming possessions, whatcha got? OOP game? Custom accessories? Something from a relative/friend you'll never part with? Lucky dice? Everyone's got that one item that's priceless to them, let's hear some stories and see some pictures.
>>
>>
File: pic2869714_md.jpg (326KB, 496x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic2869714_md.jpg
326KB, 496x500px
>>54166432
Middle Tier
>>
>>54166290
>Prized gaming possessions
Black box 1st edition CitOW
WoW board game with shadow of war
Warrior Knights with Crown and Glory
AH History of the World
>>
File: pic611381_md.jpg (40KB, 355x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic611381_md.jpg
40KB, 355x500px
>>54166479
>>54166432
shit tier
>>
File: pic2610341_lg.jpg (244KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
pic2610341_lg.jpg
244KB, 1024x768px
>>54165890

I haven't played Churchill, but from everything I've heard they're very different. A lot of it is from the 2v2 nature of the game, but there is also a lot of focus on doing military campaigns right, in a less abstracted form.

It's all about the issues; the way they are resolved last-in-first-out means that there are some decisive choices to be made: If you place a military issue as the first issue in a contested theater, it has the benefit that you will execute the military campaign last; on the other hand, there will be plenty of opportunity to ruin this, both from the opponents who might place their own issues (which will be resolved before the military campaign) as well as from your political opponent who might sabotage it by resolving it at a bad time if you're getting too far ahead.

And then there are the wonderful Rumour tokens, that function as issues but simply don't do anything. Deception abounds.
>>
>>54166557
>WoW board game with shadow of war
I know it's a long slog and repetitious with massive downtime between turns, but I badly want that game just for the production quality. I think the only thing that keeps me away is I can't stand to buy used games and the few copies I've seen new on the BGG marketplace were more than I'd spend on it
>>
File: pic1844539_lg.jpg (149KB, 782x1024px) Image search: [Google]
pic1844539_lg.jpg
149KB, 782x1024px
My most prized possession is probably Pax Britannica, simply because it is an old gem which is difficult to get ahold of. It is basically Diplomacy with more assymetry and historical basis; It features a long playtime, a tedious economic system made smooth by a fan-made excel sheet, a free-form treaty system and a focus on disputes being resolved through negotiation rather than military means (even though negotiation is usually backed up by lots and lots of firepower)

Oh, and it has a Chinese Resentment Index
>>
>>54166672
Sounds awesome. I asked about Churchill because I heard a big complaint about the game was the abstraction of the war as well as the weird scoring. Pericles seems the logical conclusion of Churchill's issue bidding system with a meatier combat aspect. Interested to heard how the longer playthrough goes.

It's definitely on my list alongside the Empire of the Sun and Here I Stand reprints coming up. Have you played either of those two?
>>
File: Starship Troopers 03.jpg (291KB, 771x373px) Image search: [Google]
Starship Troopers 03.jpg
291KB, 771x373px
>>54166290
>Prized gaming possessions, whatcha got? OOP game? Custom accessories? Something from a relative/friend you'll never part with?

Aw-man OP... right in the feels. Pic related is likely the very first 'true' board game I ever owned. It was a gift from my older brother decades ago. He wasn't into board gaming, much less war gaming, but he knew I might like it and got it to game with me just for that reason. I haven't played it in a long long time. I had the box out recently. My brother battled Systemic Lupis for decades, and then was hit with Cancer about 18 months ago. He passed away this March. He would have been 58 years old 7/7/2017... I think of him fondly whenever I board game.
>>
>>54167643
No, I've played Virgin Queen, the sequel to HIS, which is one of my favourite games, and Empire of the Sun is also on the list of games I really want to play.

Also, bear in mind that the military aspects in Pericles are still abstracted, but instead of an entire war effort it is the various theaters of operation that are abstracted; you don't besiege Plataea, you make a campaign in the area of Boeotia.
>>
>Best worker/dice placement game
>Best area control/war game
>Best abstract game
>Best party game
>Best co-op game
>>
>>54166639
>shit tier

I thought Munchkin was the gold standard for 'shit tier' games. (And yes, I see what you did there in your pic Anon...)

>>54166749
>and it has a Chinese Resentment Index

Holy Crap! It's like Murican politics now. Apparently the current administration is into board games... Who knew?!?
>>
>>54168173
>>Best worker/dice placement game
Caverna
>>Best area control/war game
Chaos in the Old World
>>Best abstract game
Onitama
>>Best party game
Good Cop Bad Cop
>>Best co-op game
Toss-up between Xenoshyft and Eldritch Horror

don't meme me pls
>>
>>54166290
>Prized Posession
Right now: Scythe Art Connoisseur's edition
Soon: Kingdom Death Monster: Almost fucking everything edition
>>
>>54168225
Jesus anon, we didn't even make it 20 posts before you felt the need to shit up the thread with politics? Do we not have enough idiotic shitposting every thread?

>>54168123
Yeah sorry, didn't have a really good topic starter today, but was thinking about my grandpa who got me into gaming as a kid. None of his analog stuff was any good but the console collection/notes and some of the old 5.25" floppy games he left me are fun.
>>
>>54168173
'Best' is a term hard to nail down with so many different categories of game... But I can tell you my current favorites...

I really like Roll for the Galaxy which uses the dice *AS* workers and allows you to roll first and then plan your worker placement strategy.

There are so damn many good games in this category. My current favorites would be OGRE (by SJG) and 'The Arrival' (by Martin Wallace).

>>Best abstract game

Again, a lot of good games here that I haven't played yet (like Hive or Onitama). My personal favorite from my collection would be 'The Duke'.

>>Best party game

Code Names, Funemployeed, or Telestrations.

> >Best co-op game

Deckbuilding - Xenoshyft
Standard Board game - Gears of War
>>
>>54168339
1. Come on, it isn't like I yelled "Jaipur" in crowded theater or something...

2. I thought OP starter topic was fine. I'll miss my brother, but I'll always remember him too while doing things I love to do with my friends and family.
>>
>>54168173
The Voyages of Marco Polo
Dominant Species/Spheres of Influence
>Best abstract game
Depending on how thinky or light you want it: The Duke, Quantum, Onitama, Santorini
>Best party game
Secret Hitler
>Best co-op game
Not even on the market yet but we've been playing it for the last couple of weeks and are having a lot of fun with Sub Terra.
>>
>>54168296
>Good Cop Bad Cop
Far too dependent on getting a lucky item draw. I've had too many games suddenly change from one team's victory to the other's because the losing team did a Hail Mary item draw that paid off.
>>
>>54168173
Which category does Cosmic Encounter fall into?
>>
>>54168624
Party/negotiation
>>
>OOP game?
Ankh Morpork
>Something from a relative/friend you'll never part with?
Well, there is my 60th Anniversary Monopoly that my deadbeat uncle gave me - it's probably the nicest thing he ever did for me, and I have fond memories playing it with my grandfather and my little brother.
>>
File: bigchef.png (80KB, 246x223px) Image search: [Google]
bigchef.png
80KB, 246x223px
Lads I'm looking for recommendations on board games I could buy, so far I played Citadels, Shadow Hunters, Star Wars Imperial Assault, Dungeon Saga, 7 Wonders and the Pathfinder LCG.

I'm also looking for games that people who play casually could understand, anything really
>>
>>54168173
Agricola, of course.
Ticket to Ride. (Bite me.)
>>Best abstract game
Hive. (Chess isn't really and abstract.)
>>Best party game
Bohnanza.
>>Best co-op game
Robinson Crusoe.
>>
>>54168830
Kemet
Alien Frontiers
Pandemic
>>
>>54168851
Lookin those up right now anon, bless you
>>
>>54168624
The same one as Munchkin
>>
>>54168603
Yeah, the item imbalance is what keeps it as a 'party game' for us. It doesn't have the depth to be a more involved social deduction game. But having those turnaround in games people are light-hearted about can be lots of fun.
>>
>>54166432
These games have nothing to do with each other. My one complaint with Abyss is that the early game is dumb and repetitive, but maybe they fixed that with the expansion. My other complaint that they fixed were those opaque pearl cups
>>
>>54166672
This sounds awesome. As long as victory isn't decided by a single post-game die roll like in Churchill, I'm in
>>
File: 1496248395506.jpg (91KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
1496248395506.jpg
91KB, 650x650px
>>54168296
>Good Cop Bad Cop
>Overworld Games, we make ONE game, retheme it 6 different ways and you pay us for it!
They're running an event at Gencon for $2 entry fee you can use a pedometer all weekend and if you hit 30,000 steps you're entered into raffles for "fabulous prizes". I don't know what's more sad, that they're charging people to walk, that they set the target so low, or that they consider Good Cop Bad Cop/Exposed/etc fabulous prizes when they're already so damn cheap.

>captcha: BOLOGNA
>>
>>54168890
No problem. Are they what you are looking for? I recommended 3 very different games on purpose. If you give me some pointers about gameplay, mechanics, theme, etc. I could surely give you some other recommendations.
>>
File: Photo on 7-5-17 at 4.12 .jpg (270KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 7-5-17 at 4.12 .jpg
270KB, 1080x720px
>>54159929
>What kind of sleeves do you guys use?
For board games, mostly FFG. They're pretty solid and hold up. I've been trying out KMC Perfect Hards on a few games, though - they are more svelte. We'll see how those go.
For TCGs, I used doublesleeved KMC until I learned KMC changed manufacturers and lowered quality. Now, thanks to the Professor's review from TCC, I'm going to try out Ultra Pro Pro-Matte Eclipse whenever they release a clear-back version.

>>54166290
>Prized gaming possessions, whatcha got?
I am most fond of my TCG collection. Old Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh cards, homemade decks for each. I keep my Ancient Mew on display.
Neat recentish releases I adore: Yugi's Legendary Decks (and 2), Duel Decks Anthology (all double-sleeved KMC). I also have Dungeon Crawl Classics core book, "Silver Foil Edition" - very pretty.

>>54168173
Alchemists
Smash Up
>Best abstract game
Quantum
>Best party game
Machi Koro DX
>Best co-op game
Shadowrun Crossfire
>Best deckbuilder
Star Realms
>>
File: citation needed.png (15KB, 296x165px) Image search: [Google]
citation needed.png
15KB, 296x165px
>>54168847
>Chess isn't really and abstract
>>
File: group starter games.png (3MB, 1801x2137px) Image search: [Google]
group starter games.png
3MB, 1801x2137px
Took way longer than I thought it would, but here's an early revision of the group chart. Any critiques throw em out; I'll be around most of the rest of today and working on the schadenfreude chart, which is proving more difficult to organize into groupings
>>
Okay so I got Love Letter for my short summer trip with 3 others.
Which other game should I buy and bring with me?
>>
>>54173162
Deckbuilding isn't labelled (and needs Star Realms), Love Letter should be in there somewhere, I don't quite see the point in adding stars to games that you've said do more than 5 players, and you DEFINITELY need to replace Ghost Stories with... I'unno, Samurai Spirit? Zombicide? Ghostbusters: The Board Game?

Otherwise, very solid list.
>>
>>54173887
>we have the best tripfags who always catch what I miss
Deck building was the last section I did, not surprised I forgot the label. I kept Love Letter off for........ shit I forget why; it'll go back on. The multi-stars were for games like Gemblo which does 6 but not 5, plus people never read the notes (which is why the green one is massive). Ghost Stories you're prolly right, maybe X-COM as the hard one in that row, but I want to avoid stuff like Zombicide because CMoN as a starter is a lot of money to drop
>>
>>54173983
>check Samurai Spirit prices
Fuck you Minifig, you win this time
>>
>>54173800
Hanabi, zombie dice, bang the dice game
>>
>>54173162
Are we promoting plastic flick em up over the wood not (not criticizing, questioning)
>>
File: 1485062778569.jpg (85KB, 442x650px) Image search: [Google]
1485062778569.jpg
85KB, 442x650px
>>54174248
>another thing I forgot to fix
I should put a note on it, but yeah I used the plastic pic because wood is awful expensive for intro gaming
>>
>>54174117
Band the dice game sounds nice but bgg.com says it is best played with 5-6, plus I already have a press your luck dice game (Dicey Goblins).

Hanabi seems too complex and stressful for one of my friends; he hates board games.

Got any more recommendations?
>>
>>54173162

dice chucker?

gonna assume you mean heavily luck based games, then.
>>
>>54174329
Follow up, how is the plastic version? Is the quality compared to the wood a lot lower?

>>54174347
>Band the dice game sounds nice but bgg.com says it is best played with 5-6
Just because a game is "best at" a certain count, doesn't mean that it's trash at any other count. But I can respect that.

>Hanabi seems too complex and stressful for one of my friends; he hates board games.
If motherfucking Hanabi is too complex and stressful for your friend then they have serious problems. It's literally a teamwork memory game

>Got any more recommendations?
It may be tough to pick others with that one friend in mind, but I personally love carcassonne (however, it could be too much for that friend). Maybe tsuro, sushi go, codenames, or rhino hero?
>>
>>54174380
>gonna assume you mean heavily luck based games, then.
Not them but pretty much
>>
>>54174380
I mean the main mechanic is chucking dice, it's something people (especially those new to the hobby) enjoy.

>>54174451
Everything I've read/heard on quality is the plastic is very close to wood edition in play and quality of feel. Caveats are the expansions will almost definitely not be released in plastic, and the plastic pieces are lighter so they have a hard time knocking down wood if you mix/match.
>>
>>54174659
>>54174380
And when you want a relaxing time when you can shut your brain off, dice chucking a one route you can take
>>
Does anyone know of a place that sells star tokens? I'm wanting to use them to count victory points and I'm coming up empty right now.
>>
>>54175650
How small do you want them?
https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Calico-Laser-Cut-Veneer-Shapes-Tiny/dp/B007VDXYPM
>>
>>54175650
If green works I saw some at game crafter when I was looking up pieces and card deck pricing
>thegamecrafter.com/parts/star-green
>>
File: 1498525669842.jpg (229KB, 855x855px) Image search: [Google]
1498525669842.jpg
229KB, 855x855px
Anons, recently I managed to get 2 people into playing some tabletop sim (I know, but hold your horses since they're not really into boardgames and not willing to drive 1 hour each and spend lots of money). Now I can take that chance to introduce them to some nice little games. I want to start slowly and delve more into complex games. How do I start that on Tabletop Sim (especially which games)?
So far my games I'd like to get them to play are
>Carcassonne
>Alchemists
>Dominion

Thanks for your help in advance.
>>
>>54175650
Origami that shit
>>
>>54175934
>>54175940
Thanks a ton, these are great. I appreciate it!
>>
Can anybody with King of Tokyo tell me how many energy cubes come with the game? I got my copy yesterday and it feels like the amount I have is a little low
>>
>>54176299
>Carcassone
Tsuro, Tantrix, Tokaido, maybe a dungeon crawler game to add in another tile-layer
>Alchemists
Mysterium, Sheriff of Nottingham, AbracaWhat, Clank!
>Dominion
Sushi Go, Simple MTG Starter Decks, Red Dragon Inn, Legendary
>>
>>54176299
While I agree with your endeavor, I think tabletop sim is not a good way to go about it.
A lot of the fun in boardgames is the physicality of it and being next to the people and interacting socially.
When palying tabletop sim I just feel I'm playing "a poor man's videogame" instead of boardgames.
>>
File: coobs.jpg (696KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
coobs.jpg
696KB, 2048x1536px
>>54176599
KoNY which I assume comes with the same amount comes with these many.
>>
>>54176599
My first edition KoT has 50 energy cubes.
>>
>>54176887
>>54177263
50 is indeed standard

>>54176599
Always check the BGG wiki pages, they've got component info 99% the time
>boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/70323/king-tokyo/wiki
>>
>>54176887
>>54177263
>>54177437
Thanks a bunch all. I didn't even know BGG had that stuff listed, that would have saved a lot of headaches!
>>
As someone new to board gaming, why does everyone hate Munchkin so much? All of the FLGSs near me carry shit tons of the stuff, but I always see hate in these threads. I haven't played it myself so I'm just curious
>>
>>54177564
games that revolve around jokes are pretty much disposable trash that has an extremely limited shelf life, but they're incredibly easy casual bait
>>
>>54177564
Because the game portion of the game is quite mediocre, and it's mostly a mix of plain old luck and negotiation.
Some people take it at face without understanding that the game is mostly to generate player interaction, others will argue that there's better games for achieven the same things (or that negotiation+luck is dumb), others just hate it because it's popular while not being mechanically interesting.
If think it's fine for what it is, if maybe overpriced.
>>
>>54177539
Old pages it was the most useful widget to customize to the top, the new style has it mostly hidden and it's community edited but popular games have good info.

>>54177564
What >>54177640 said but also it's a take that game which runs too long for the payoff. Munchkin if it was 30-40 minutes would be more tolerable. At 90 minutes you're just going through motions for too long and running into the common Steve Jackson trope of 2nd place guarantees your win once everyone's run out of fuck you cards.
>>
>>54177564
For me it's because the games almost always end the same: one person goes for the win and everybody else has to play every card they can to stop them; then that person either still wins or doesn't. Then the next person goes to win and everyone has already exhausted their cards to stop them so all they can do is watch that player win. And if somehow the second player is kept from winning, then the third player coasts to victory.

That and the fact that Munchkin lasts 2+ hours for the same anticlimactic finish sounds horrible to me.

And like >>54177640 said, Munchkin thrives on its jokes and being funny and once the punchline is no longer funny, the game has lost its allure. Which is why so many versions of it are made; the more jokes you have to go through, the longer it takes for them to get old.
>>
Why is King of Tokyo so damn popular?

I mean the rules seems very simple, but it surely can't be because of that could it?
>>
>>54177874
>people like rolling dice
>people like push your luck games
>good fillers make it to the table a lot more than 3+ hr games
Richard Garfield knows how to package what people want
>>
>>54177874
It's an entry tier game that has Richard Garfield as designer.
I wondered the same but I bought it and my friends were thrilled with it for some reason. It's short too.
It just has a ton of elements that "just work".
>>
>>54177564
It overstays its welcome x100. Its cute and funny at first, but it rapidly descends into everyone piling on the leader to the point where it's very difficult to win. At this point it becomes very tedious and unfunny.
>>
>>54177564
Munchkin has a LOT of problems -- it's very lucky and the negotiation is pretty bad -- but I think the worst is the endgame. That is, it takes way, WAY too long and most of that time is spent in the "Negotiations are over; Screw You" phase playing whack-a-mole with whoever is at 9 and taking their turn. This is a circa 2 hour game, an hour of which is spent on some of the most vicious dickery this side of Diplomacy, when the feel of the game would be more comfortable at the ~30 minute mark like, say Guillotine.

>>54177874
Simple mechanics, attractive theme, some solid longevity in the fact that you're unlikely to see all the power cards for some time, and all in all it's pretty accessible to normies and newbies while having at least SOME legs for more experienced gamers. It's not the best game in the world, but neither is it a bad game, and it's something you can get just about anybody in on.
>>
>>54178221
For some reason these problems you note of Munchkin remind me of to the ones I had with Catan.
>>
>>54178879
It's a common problem, where a designer's end game trigger can take too long to come out, so the last 1/3 or so becomes far too repetitive. It's not new (Cosmic came out in the 70s) and it's not really going away, but there's plenty of games that find ways to avoid it.
>>
>>54173156
There's too much explicit theme in chess, both in the visual style and in the mechanics. It's obviously descended from a miniature wargame.
>>
>>54171718
Man, smas up is hot garbage.
>>
>>54177980
>cute and funny at first

Not even that. At first it manages to get away with eye-rolling "seriously, what tard thought this was amusing" and then it devolves into a complete shitmess. There is not a point where (even as a complete newb) you should waste a single second on that fetid turd.
>>
>>54168330
>>Soon: Kingdom Death Monster: Almost fucking everything edition
>getting memed by animu titties
>>
>>54178879
It's fairly common to negotiation games, but it's a little worse in Munchkin than most because you can do so much worse than refuse to cooperate. In a way, I had a similar experience with Cosmic Encounter, but Cosmic (and Catan for that matter) had a few more redeeming features than Munchkin. And by that I mean a lot more.
>>
>>54168173
Dominant Species
StarCraft, War of the Ring
>Best abstract game
Chess, 3-5-8
>Best party game
Flickem Up, Codenames
>Best co-op game
MoM
>>
>>54168173
Hunting for one I like; so far Leonardo DaVinci but Champions of Midgard looks good, hoping to get some play in.
Twilight Imperium, 3rd Edition
>Best abstract game
Assuming we rule out the classics, Tsuro
>Best party game
Shadow Hunters? I don't know, it doesn't really feel like a 'party' game except where it's best with 7/plays 8.
>Best co-op game
Yggdrasil, 2nd Edition
>>
File: IMG_4182.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4182.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>54166290

The wife and I are really enjoying Elder Signs. Straight forward, minimal strategy with lots of dice rolling and who doesn't like dice rolling.
>>
>>54184577
>and who doesn't like dice rolling
I don't, and neither does anyone I know.
>>
>>54182969
I collect high quality miniature models, especially bizarre monsters so that was a huge draw for me.
tiddies were a plus though
>>
>>54184577
It's definitely one of the better Yahtzee clones out there, but the app has made my copy sit unplayed more often than not. Those DLC bosses are too good and I'm too cheap to pay $20-30 for the tabletop versions
>>
>>54184626
So, what out of the whole mess are you most excited for? As someone who owns a 1.0 Core it's probably either Silver City or Sparrow King, but I have to admit I want to see how the Gambler's Chest turns out.
>>
>>54186535
Design wise, I absolutely love the Screaming God, and am looking forward to fighting it.

Campaign wise, I'm highly interested in the inverted pyramid stuff.
>>
>>54184577
>dear, why do you always pick the girl character?
>>
>>54187515
Aside from Joe Diamond all the overpowered investigators are women
>>
>>54187838
>all the overpowered investigators are women

Does that make it 'min-maxi-padding'?
>>
File: group starter games.png (3MB, 1801x2137px) Image search: [Google]
group starter games.png
3MB, 1801x2137px
>>54188085
Cute, also fixed the notes on the chart and swapped Ghost Stories for Samurai Spirit as the hard end co-op. Not going to put Star Realms on for deckbuilding as long as the 3+ modes are meh, but does anyone have enough experience with Hero Realms in group formats?
>>
>>54188579
Is Splendor really more complex than Carcassonne (I know I'm nitpicking, it's a character flaw)?
>>
>>54189516
I mean they're placed right next to each other, and frankly they're pretty even. In both, an inexperienced player can't expect to get a decent score unless they're really fast on the uptake. I'd say Carcassone is a little more obtuse (since all your scoring opportunities are literally on the table in Splendor) but it will also tend to reward you at least a little for short-term decision making. Splendor you NEED that long range planning just a little bit more.

I'd question Smash Up being to the right of Takenoko, but then I remember that Smash Up can actually get pretty combo-happy
>>
>>54189516
Most times I go off BGG ratings for weight, but I honestly can't remember if I checked that first or just pasted the images in the order I had them downloaded....... yup, 1.84 vs 1.94 for Carc. I could switch em, but I'd rather not bother with the edit on it til there's something else needs fixing.

>>54189620
I think the voting on that one is because of card text, but I copied that order off of the gf/wife chart so I know it's safe.
>>
>>54188579
>Mentions Legendary and Legendary: Alien
Know anything about the Firefly version? I was gifted it and haven't gotten it to the table yet, wondering if I should fight for that or not.
>>
File: Bios_Genesis.jpg (95KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Bios_Genesis.jpg
95KB, 600x600px
should I pre-order the second edition?
>>
>>54189743
Actually haven't played either, it's just one anons here enjoy and gets a lot of love at cons and meetups. What I hear encounters (Alien/Predator) is the better system, but Marvel is the more accessible theme. Firefly being encounters prolly would put it up on par with Alien.
>>
>>54189790
No one here has ever played it
>>
>>54189620
>>54189682
Again, it was just a little nitpick but I don't see anything wrong with the ordering. I like it anon
>>
>>54190417
Hopefully will get another one done tomorrow, I think I finally figured out how to organize the categories on schadenfreude chart. It'll likely be smaller though
>>
>interested in xenoshyft
>buy the mobile app to check it out
>enjoy the gameplay and want to play with others
>kickstarteda while back, missed all the exclusivest
>discover xenoshyft dreadmire
>also missed out on kickstarter exclusives
>find a late pledge form on the website
>also missed out on late pledge

Alright can any of you boys tell me if the "exclusives" I'm missing out on are gameplay altering? I'm seeing some bosses and item packs and officers and shit with the exclusives tag on the campaign page, and it's really making me want to avoid this game as if I'm not part of the cool kids club.
>>
>>54188579
Are you using Comic Sans unironically?
>>
>>54190567
The 'item packs' that are exclusive are what are called 'Legendary Items' and are an optional rule. It's basically a stack of special, expensive but powerful cards that the group can buy one of per turn. Nothing game changing. It's nice to have, but not required.

The 'Heroes' are also an optional element where if one of your guys has combat and survives the round you can trade him in for an upgraded 'hero' version. Again not game changing, nice to have, but I wouldn't be sad to play without it.

I'm not 100% sure about how they label their exclusives/non-exclusives on their kickstarter. For example, for the extra troops, the exclusive sticker seems to be centered on the 'hero' card. So I'm not sure if the hero card is the exclusive and the normal troop cards are not. Their updates on the kickstarter seems to indicate that it's the metal frammed hero card that's exclusive. You'll want to do a touch of research to see if you could find exact contents of the normal box.

Mostly what you're missing out on is full-art cards for some things, and the optional elements of heroes and legendary items.

I'd only feel a little sore about potentially missing out on some troop stacks and bosses, but there's still a lot of fun in the base box, especially if you like deckbuilding and co-ops.
>>
>>54190917
>50% because it was on a chart that used to get posted on /bgg/ 4-5 years ago when I migrated to /tg from other boards
>50% because when I started the gf/wife chart paint had that as the default font and I was too lazy to bother changing it
At this point it's probably more lazy than anything else
>>
>>54190917
>Implying comic sans isn't good
The player interaction is off the charts
>>
>>54191039
Alright, you have made me feel better about it so far. Would you happen to have a preferance towards dreadmire or onslaught? They say dreadmire has an adjusted difficulty curve. I think I understand what they mean by that because I have the mobile game, but I'm not positive.
>>
Honestly I don't get the rage at Comic Sans. It's fairly legible, and while it's natually a Sans Serif font (and thus automatically worse than most Serif fonts) it's not really any worse than the rest of its ilk. Was it just overused?
>>
File: IMG_1725.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1725.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>54166290
>Prized gaming possessions
War of the Ring Anniversary Edition, its beautiful.
>>
>>54191751
I'd recommend Dreadmire. More interesting mechanics in the weather and items in my opinion.
>>
>>54192994
One of the few over the top editions I'd want to own if I could afford it. Absolutely gorgeous anon
>>
>>54192994
Fuuuuck, I'm mad jelly anon.
>>
>>54193401
Immolation?
>>
>>54192994
Wow! That is 'Damn Skippy' nice!
>>
File: IMG_1726.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1726.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>54193454
>>54193534
>>54193906
Here's a shot of the mini's. The faces on the companions/units are pretty lazy but nothing I can't fix.
At least they did a good job on most of the flags.
>>
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1319847883/longsword-tabletop-tactics

.::
>>
>>54194851
Looks interesting, but I'm taking a break from Kickstarter. I've already backed a couple in the last few months and I gotta start saving some cash
>>
>>54194243
That's going to look awesome on the tabletop when the game is in play.
>>
>>54168746
my friends and I have been playing some Eldritch Horror and really liking it. Beyond the expansions and Arkham Horror (which I hear is worse in most ways), are there any games with similar gameplay, or similar H.P Lovecraft inspiration? My friends really have a hard time getting into games with settings they aren't invested in, so I'm trying to stick with what they like.
>>
>>54194996
The Arkham Horror Card Game
>>
Should I buy Cthulhu Wars or Space Hulk?
>>
>>54195061
I have played neither (except for a space hulk clone app), but I'd say Cthulhu Wars. They are fairly different games though, aren't they?
>>
>>54189795
>tfw dying first but then getting to play the alien deck.

Felt good being a scrub then.
>>
>>54195343
They are very different but both going for about $150 online right now.
>>
Scythe for 54 dollars?
>>
>>54197175
Ehhh
>>
File: master of the galaxy.png (1MB, 767x927px) Image search: [Google]
master of the galaxy.png
1MB, 767x927px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxuChvwkUj4

Thoughts?
>>
File: pic2437871.jpg (112KB, 882x630px) Image search: [Google]
pic2437871.jpg
112KB, 882x630px
give me the run down
would you recommend it?
>>
>>54197919
>Bare chests and pauldrons
>Boobplate with a midriff
No.
>>
>>54197580
>Thoughts?

It's a game.
Its Kickstarter doesn't begin until the 18th of July.
It has a page on Board Game Geek.

Honestly, what else do you expect anyone to come up with?
>>
>>54192437
It looks unprofessional and some people used it for reports and the like. So people start complaing about it, then other people complain that people make a fuss of the font, then other people start non-ironically, ironically and post-ironically using the font. So now you have people that hate the font, people that dont hate the font but dislike it when people use it in places it makes no sense, people that like the font and people that use the font to piss others off.
>>
>>54197580
>Thoughts?
The more insistently a pre-release game gets brought up like this, the more I think someone is honest to god shilling.
>>
Yesterday I played catan the cardgame for the first time in years and I still liked it. How can you stop liking bad games
>>
>>54198230
>Literally judging a game by its cover
>With the tired old fantasy armor complaints.
I hope you were being ironic, because otherwise you are one heck of an autist.

As to Gloomhaven, I've heard good things, but I'm not sold myself. It's a legacy game which means you're paying a pretty penny (2e preorders are north of a hundred) for less replay value than a normal game. I guess for some people, games normally fall out of their roster so one campaign is about all they'd want, and unlike Seafall there's supposedly a good game under there but that arguably just makes it worse that there's not a replayable version.
>>
>>54198230
If you think the armor is unrealistic wait till you hear that there's magic in the game!
>>
>>54199295
Why do they wear the useless and uncomfortable armor then? Just wear a magic bikini!
>>
>>54199225
ehhh, it's pretty soft on the "legacy" part compared to Seafall and Pandemic. Heck the designer even shilled for some 3rd party vinyl stickers you could use on your game map so there's no permanent alteration of anything.

That being said it's an RPG-lite in a box. If that's what you want it's great, if not then look elsewhere.
>>
>>54199225
>Gloomhaven...a legacy game
The legacy aspects of the game are a bit over sold. The game is a meaty card driven dungeon crawl with a campaign that unlocks new dungeons and characters as you play. All of the legacy aspects are in the campaign. Basically you play the campaign to unlock the dungeons and characters, and once you've done that, the dungeons and still there for you to revisit.
>>
>>54199507
>>54197919
>>54199225

Which leads me thinking... is there anything like Nethack or Angband - the board game?

Hack & Slash with resource management, random dungeon generation and permadeath would be comfy as fuck.
>>
>>54199622
Masmorra, maybe, minus the permadeath
>>
>>54199063
>>54198454

Yeah sorry. Here's the rulebook in case someone is interested and ends up telling me why this might be a good or bad 4X game. I don't know shit about 4X games. Never played one. I just know it looks cool.

https://tabletopia.r.worldssl.net/static/files/000/651/4R6ylyBhILyBeId4ue0g24.pdf
>>
>>54193716
I didn't think Immolation is out yet for general purchase, but it's good. It's another set of enemies with unique mechanics. I wouldn't say that anything in particular in the game is a GOTTA HAVE, but they all add more content and their own spins on stuff.
>>
>>54199732
That's helpful! I'll take a look and see if I can give you a better idea of whether or not it has potential. I do like 4x games and would be glad to talk about other 4x games if you have questions. I'm on break from work, so I won't have a lot of time until this evening or tomorrow, but feel free to throw out some questions on 4x if you have any.
>>
>>54200224
Well, I'm interested in 4X games. As I said I've never played one but the concept sounds great. Like you are in charge of something big and get to decide every aspect of whatever it is you are in charge of. The thing is I don't know what to look for in such games. I don't know what is considered a good 4X mechanic and what's considered a bad 4X mechanic. For whatever reason. I read the rulebook a bit and to me it sounds cool but maybe somebody who knows about that genre will read something and say "you see this where it says so and so? generally you don't want something like that in a 4X game because reason." I can't identify potential red flags. Maybe something is really great about it and I just don't see it because I'm clueless.
>>
>>54197580
>kickstarter game
>kickstarter hasn't even started yet
>claims to be 4x
>is not 4x
>has been posted in every /bgg/ for the last week at least

I think you need to fuck off, shill
>>
>>54200702
>claims to be 4x
>is not 4x

How so?
>>
File: co-related games2a.png (3MB, 800x1876px) Image search: [Google]
co-related games2a.png
3MB, 800x1876px
>>
>>54200681
No problem - that's perfectly understandable. I won't be able to give you a good answer until I have a chance to look over the rules from the link you provided.

Also, I wouldn't worry to much about 'Ass-burgers Anon' >>54200702 There's a few people here who collectively shit their pants any time anyone mentions anything Kickstarter related. That said, it does pay to be a bit wary of claims by game designers. The board game Scythe was kick-started to much hype and acclaim was originally described by its designer as being a '4x' game (Explore, Expand, Exploit resources, Exterminate opponents) and it really wasn't. Scythe is a solid Euro-game, but the exploration is relatively limited, and there is zero player elimination - making it definitely NOT a 4x game.
>>
>>54199852
>>54199852
Alright, thanks for your help man. I think you sold me on it.
>>
>>54202180
Cool. I'm already curious what you'll have to say.
>>
>>54199225
>less replay value than a normal game

Not true at all. Firstly, you don't make any permanent modifications that affect gameplay so you can replay it fresh unlike Risk: Legacy or Seafall.

Second, there's almost 100 scenarios in the box. If you played through all the content it's likely given you more replay value than most "normal games."
>>
>>54202062
How is Legendary? I've been thinking about getting it
>>
>>54205084
Legendary: Alien is great fun with great replayability.
>>
>>54205078
lol eyezak plz leev
>>
>>54197256
What other euro style games that are similar/better would you recommend?
>>
>>54205084
I've only played it once, but it's harder with more people - I believe 4-5 is considered the upper limit
>>
>>54197175
I've found Scythe pretty decent so far. Just be aware that it is not a combat game really, nor is it a 4x despite some talk that it would be. It's a very euro'y euro with a theme (20's eastern europe, but with mechs) that resonates with some folks, but the focus very much is in worker and resource management, action economy and mostly non-combative board control.
>>
Scythe owes its success to its artwork and components. The gameplay is dull as hell.
>>
>>54206398
It also got a love of love because Stegmaier is a popular euro designer and people get hyped for whatever he's doing next. It's not like how all dudes on a map lovers freak out when they hear Lang has a new one out but still.
>>
>>54206398
Ameridumbass shitter confirmed
>>
>>54206039
Would you recommend it? I'm a sucker for Marvel things but even I have some kind of standard.
>>
>>54206499
Scythe is garbage and you've been blinded by a polished turd.
>>
>>54206254
So if I'm looking for a euro style game, it's actually a good bet? Thats what I'm in the market for currently and the CSI store has a good deal on it. I've also wanted terra mystica, but scythe is a better deal.
>>
>>54206632
Not him but Legendary Marvel was a really fun semi-cooperative deck building. It is tense. And I don't care about Marvel that much.
>>
>>54206481
It actually was worse. Literally for weeks beforehand and throughout the campaign, board game influencers were hyping the fuck out of it
>>
>>54205078
>Firstly, you don't make any permanent modifications that affect gameplay
Now that I hadn't heard. I'd still probably wnat my whole group to go in on the damn thing, perhaps it bears at least a second look.
>>
>>54206499
The gameplay is dull. This is a fact, you don't have to be looking for it to be something it's not, you just have to compare it to actual similar games. It is dull compared to Inis, it is dull compared to Dune/Rex, it is dull compared to El motherfucking Grande.

Scythe is not the golden child it was made out to be. It's a mediocre game whose main sin is being fucking dull.
>>
>>54173800
Coup.
>>
>>54207799
STFU El Grande is morherfucking magnificent
>>
>>54208393
That's what he's saying - Scythe is meh, El Grande kicks ass.
>>
>>54208412
The way he said it I inferred he thought it was only marginally better than Scythe
>>
>>54206398
That's the deal with every kickstarter game though.
>>
File: IMG_0523.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0523.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>54208993
Sol and KD:M are good.
Haven't had a chance to play High Frontier yet
>>
>>54209110
>can on a game board
eradicate yourself
>>
>>54208393
>>54208412
>>54208613

As >>54207799, I meant no disrespect to El Grande. It's a good game and all the more impressive that it's still a totally legit choice in Area control after 22 years. It's probably not my personal number one Area control but it's very pure, and certainly a good yardstick for anything else trying to be area control.

Also, out of the games I picked for comparison, it had the two word name to stick "Motherfucking" into the middle of.
>>
>>54209110
>Sunkist
>Not a bottle of SunnyD
>>
>>54209702
I'll remember for next photo.
I'll bring this to game night with a six-pack of that stuff.
>>
Which of the Eldritch Horror expansions are worth getting? Are they all equally good, some less stellar than others, or are you good with just the base game?

Most of them seem to cost as much as the base game so I hope they include a lot of content, but I haven't really bought expansions for board games before so I don't know what to expect.
>>
>>54209999
Forbidden Lore fixes a ton of the balance issues in the base game and has more content/$ than any other expac. It's as essential to EH as Intrigue apparently is to Dominion.
Of course, it's always OOS so you can usually only find it for non-scalper prices once a year around March or September.
>>
>>54210206
I'll keep an eye out for it around September then. Seems prices are about seventy dollars right now, and that's insane.
>>
>>54186535
>So, what out of the whole mess are you most excited for?
Merisiel. Not even trolling she's my favorite RPG character design-wise (and a total qt in the comics) and all her models sucking infuriates me.
>>
>>54168123
Cath, cath
>>
>>54207041
>So if I'm looking for a euro style game, it's actually a good bet?
No. Get an actual classic instead, not some game that got famous for having metal coins in the box.

> I've also wanted terra mystica, but scythe is a better deal.
Terra Mystica is a much better game.
>>
>>54212662
TM is unbalanced as hell though.
IME the only games which are balanced despite heavy faction asymmetry are Rex/Dune, CitOW, and Cosmic Rncointer
>>
>>54212734
>TM is unbalanced as hell though.
It really isn't. It's unbalanced for serious tournament play, and the only reason we know this is because it's one of the only games played at serious tournaments. Also there are easy fixes for the balance issues if you're playing that competitively.

> IME the only games which are balanced despite heavy faction asymmetry are Rex/Dune, CitOW, and Cosmic Rncointer
Not really. We don't know if these games are balanced or not because nobody subjected them to the cruel playtesting of heavy tournament play.
>>
>>54212734
It isn't. The outliers like Darklings or Fakirs are a bit better or worse than the rest, the mid tiers are all very close in win rate. And that's stats from dedicated online player who play it daily.
>>
Is it generally worth it to hunt down exclusive promo items like those handed out at cons or should I just control my autism?
>>
>>54213133
rein it in son, it's never worth it.
>>
>All these people shitting on Scythe

I guess its about expectations?
>>
>>54212974
>>54212806

It's Ok, you don't have to lie. I like Terra Mystica too and it's unbalanced as hell

https://terra.snellman.net/stats/

It's unbalanced at all, 1000+ and 1500+ ratings.
>>
>>54213939
It's also worth noting that Riverwalkers from the expansions are so ridiculously broken they had to be revamped 5 times on snellman.
>>
>>54213939
You missed the point. These stats are from 70000 highly competitive games played by serious autists. *Any* game is unbalanced when subjected to serious tournament play.

Hell, even Go (an old as fuck game) had handicap rules changed at least 10 times during the 20th century to fix balance issues.
>>
File: Forbidden.jpg (76KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Forbidden.jpg
76KB, 600x600px
Is this worth picking up before it goes out of print?
>>
File: 10-10-rating.png (6KB, 361x359px) Image search: [Google]
10-10-rating.png
6KB, 361x359px
What games do you rate 10/10?
>>
>>54213939
That hardly ever makes a difference in casual play.
>>
>>54214575
>>54214202

Lol, nope even in casual play players that get/choose the weaker factions get shafted unless you play with total noobs.
>>
>>54214618
Lol, nope, you also have to take into account the bonus tiles, scoring tiles, starting position and opponents' factions.
>>
>>54214479
Do you like war games / area control games and are a fan of Warhammer 40K? Then yes. The thing that makes me sad about this game is that there was an expansion including Crons, Nids, D.E., and (IIRC) I.G. in the works and well along the way when FFG / GW parted ways.
>>
>>54213939
Wasn't there a proposed set of balance fixes out there? I keep seeing the snellman link posted, but nothing else. Why would the competitive players keep playing a game that they know is unbalanced if there weren't any rules fixes for the issues?
>>
>>54214666
Not IG, Tau
>>
>>54213556
Well, if I *claim* I'm selling you a Lamborghini or a Ferrari, and what arrives at your house is a Porsche 911, then I'm confident that you would be unhappy. It isn't that the Porsche 911 isn't a nice car, but it sure isn't what I promised you when I sold you the vehicle. When it comes to salesmanship it is indeed all about 'setting proper expectations'.
>>
>>54214699
Thanks. I think the FFG rules designer released his work on BGG, but it still would have been nice to see an actual expansion with playing pieces, etc, in print.
>>
Can I ask for help with Risk, I mostly play Europe Risk and enjoy being a commie prick, anyone have any advice?
>>
>>54214666
I like war games, yeah. I own Triumph and Tragedy, TI3, Twilight Struggle, Sekigahara, Friedrich, Shogun and War of the Ring. I'm looking at it as a game to play mainly with a guy who loves Starcraft (pc game). I've never been exposed to anything Warhammer other than Warhammer Total War.

Worth getting for mainly 1v1 where both players have no attachment to 40k? I've heard concerns regarding replayablity bc of only four races. I really just want a wargame with a space theme where you buy troops with resources similar to TI3 that doesn't take 6+ hours.
>>
>>54214513
None yet. A 10/10 in my book would be a game I would be happy to play forever to the exclusion of all other games. Nothing I've played yet has made me think "I've found the perfect game for me".
>>
>>54214701
Though, if two years later anytime someone talks about getting a 911, all you can contribute is that its not a Ferrari, you're not contributing, just being bitter.
>>
>>54214678
>Wasn't there a proposed set of balance fixes out there?
Yes, just the standard point handicap thing that all highly competitive boardgames do.

>Why would the competitive players keep playing a game that they know is unbalanced if there weren't any rules fixes for the issues?
'Cause it's not really a problem, it's not like the game is broken or something. The other anon is just buttmad that he got pwned the one time he played.
>>
>>54213133
Channel that autism somewhere else lad
>>
>>54214770
Roll really well?
>>
>>54213442
>>54215434
I will. Thanks.
>>
File: dominant.jpg (18KB, 223x300px) Image search: [Google]
dominant.jpg
18KB, 223x300px
GMT uses their P500 program to sort of dictate when something gets reprinted. Why not use Kickstarter? It would allow them to add extras people might want or update the graphic design and I'm sure a Kickstarter campaign for pic related would generate much more hype than whatever they're doing with their P500 program.
>>
>>54215026
If, two years later, people are still asking "Is this Porsche 911 just as good as a Ferraria?" Then the answer is still "No - it is not." I'm not telling anyone not to buy the game, I'm telling them not to expect it to be what the initial hype claimed it would be.
>>
>>54215535
Because they don't want the hassle of adding extras, having to cater to endless comments or give kickstarter their 10%. They just want to ship out a finished product when enough people want it.
>>
>>54215219
>Yes, just the standard point handicap thing that all highly competitive boardgames do.

Is there a resource somewhere that lists the handicaps? I've apparently failed my Google-fu when it comes to findiing anything helpful.
>>
>>54215870
That answer is way to obvious. No one will believe it. You have to come up with something a bit more interesting like:

"But if they do Kick-starter, then their alien overlords won't get their cut."
>>
>>54215678
So if we completely ignore what Scythe claimed to be to and instead judge it based on what it really is, is Scythe a good game?
>>
Is the Dunwich expansion for AH LCG going to be reedited?
>>
>>54215994
See >>54207799 and >>54206398, perhaps on lower intensity.

It is not just not the epic story-driven dieselpunk 4x early adopters were promised. The area control euro the rest of us saw is... eeh? It's not truly godawful but there are probably a dozen games that do what Scythe is trying to do better.
>>
>>54216038
>reedited
What do you mean?

>>54216112
Can you name a few? I'm not trying to be snarky I'm just looking for suggestions.
>>
>>54216180
Well, the expansion looks OOP (at least in French).
>>
Does anyone here frequent a meetup in the Brooklyn area that they could maybe introduce me to? Never done something like this so I'm anxious. Promise I'm not a massive sperg or creep, just new to the city.
>>
I'm thinking a bout getting Mice & Mystics; it looks really solid from the few videos I've seen on it.

My one fear is that it will lose most replay appeal after going through the campaign for the first time. Can anyone here comment on it?
>>
>>54216365
Pretty awful game. You may as well roll a die 50 times, the more odds you win, the more evens you lose. It amounts to exactly the same experience.
>>
>>54215891
GMT is a wargame company and as such the last bastion of old grognards against casual scum. They're also a lot smaller than people realize; they attend one con, and it's something like an hour drive for them to go to, because they don't have the money to spend on travel and marketing. P500 started long before kickstarter because they don't have the money to waste on a game that sucks, so they only print what they know will sell and don't have to waste time on KS or social media hyping, or hire some intern to do it for them who they'd want to kill after 10 minutes.

Also something about wanting to avoid companies controlled by lizard people
>>
>>54215870
With the P500 program they sell between 500 and 600 copies per print run. With Kickstarter they would sell several thousand copies in one go. The extra money could go toward better art and components, and we all know that DS could use that.
>>
>>54216595
>wargamers
>wanting KS "better" art
Get out
>>
>>54216632
What's wrong with games having good art? Regardless of the genre, good art (and components) always enhances the gaming experiece.
>>
>>54216270
You mean reprinted? Absolutely.
>>
>>54214513
Targi, fantastic little 2p euro game, very elegant design with interesting choices and strategy. I've played the shit out of it and it's just as great as the first time. It maybe could drop to a 9/10 as years go by and doesn't get played as much.

It's like those great albums by your favorite band that you listen to over and over and then stop listening gradually but hold a good place in your heart. Then you play it again 10 years from now and remember how much you love it even though you don't listen to it much anymore.

Does anyone feel that way about a game in particular?
>>
>>54216687
Wargaming is basically an extrapolation of old school war room strategy. They used a map and blocks and icons to represent troops and units. If that's good enough for a fucking napoleonic field marshal, it's good enough for me.
>>
Spartacus, yea or nay?
>>
>>54216687
If they wanted better art they wouldn't still be playing chit based games from the TSR era; also what >>54216855 said. War gamers are just abstract fans that have a better story in their head.
>>
>>54214794
Have you looked into Exodus and Space Empires: 4X? They're a couple alternatives that are 4X games, but SE:4X is a lot more wargamey in mechanics than Exodus

>>54216687
Have you ever played a war game with fog of war? Seriously go play a block game already

The only component improvement I want are mounted boards, or maybe the current trend of playmats. I'd be a bit concerned about playmats scuffing along the edges after long-term use though, I'll have to see how durable the Techmo Bowl playmat is
>>
>>54216180
>Can you name a few?
Let's start with >>54207799's calls

>Inis
What it doesn't have: asymmetrical player powers to start
What it does have: Engaging gameplay, player power rewards for control, engaging routes to victory and reasons to choose peaceful or aggressive strategies, modular board for sweet replay, gorgeous art if you like the style (though the same could be said for Scythe), low randomness (Again...) WITHOUT feeling deterministic as a game.

>Rex/Dune
Basically the same game, but some folks claim the old OOP Dune version is better besides the license. I've never played it, but I have played Rex. It's a little more fight-prone than Scythe but it's still an area control game, not a war game, at heart. It does the asymmetry better, to the point of asymmetrical but frighteningly well balanced victory conditions. Its only con is that it's Great with 6... and loses a LOT at any other technically playable number. In every other way than that barrier to getting it to the table, it's just about the best area control game

>El Grande
The classic. No other game does pure area control and domination quite as well as El Grande does. It's a historical, which I've found can be a little hard for some people to get into (especially a "lesser known" but not "exotic" historical in the states -- I have a feeling the same EXACT game would get to the table more if it were Sengoku Japan themed or post-apocalyptic USA, or what have you, which is a little sad).
>>
>>54217479
So, how about some other options. These all diverge a bit, I tried to keep to Area Control but if that's not what draws you to Scythe (or not all that draws you) some of these might be off base.

>Twilight Imperium
TI3 is more of a 4x but it plays out like Area Control without the ability to share territories so much. Space battles are fairly uncommon in my experience even if they are pivotal. Downside: Even longer than fucking Scythe.

>A Study in Emerald
More abstract in its area control than "Dudes on a map", with deduction, bidding, and card drafting elements.

>Kemet
Your basic ameritrash area control where armies will be recruited, join the fray for one or two battles before getting slaughtered, and then get recruited right back up

>Blood Rage
Area Control and Drafting with some Ameritrash dudes on a map elements. The drafting is really big here so if you don't like that mechanic maybe steer clear of Blood Rage, but if you do, it's a good game. Maybe not a *great* game but good.

>Twilight Struggle
Two and only two players, but damn good.

>Shogun
Another one that's more pro-conflict, but Shogun (and its alternatley themed ancestor/descendent Wallenstein) deserves a mention here, in large part because of the simultaneous action mechanic that, when done well in games (See also below) tends to be really good for the political/tactical mix that is Area Control as a genre
>>
>>54217505
And the dubious finish...

>A Game of Thrones
Like above, but with a specific property that will grab some people and turn off others, plus more fiddly bits and less random outcomes. It's a solid choice.

>Diplomacy
OK, saying this is kind of out there, since Diplomacy has at least as many problems as Scythe, but its capital problem is that, as the meme goes, the people you sit down at the table with won't be your friends when it's over. Which means the right group, it can actually do really well while with the wrong group it is fucking terrible for everyone involved. If you could reasonably expect to get out of a game of Diplomacy with your sanity and faith in humanity intact, it has a MUCH higher potential. Scythe is just kind of mediocre with everyone, so I guess what I'm saying is know your group.

>Lords of Xidit
This one is weird and probably a personal call, but it features long range (REALLY long range) strategy that leads to some GREAT "Just as planned" when things come together.

So that's a dozen games you should play-
>You listed Diplomacy, you twat.
That you should look into that will probably be more entertaining than Scythe
>>
>>54216585
The not having money seems weird, their games are pretty successful/well known.
>>
>>54217194
Space Empires looks good. I'll pick that up when (if) the reprint hits retail. What's the best 2-3 player space wargame? Does Forbidden Stars hit that niche well or nah.
>>
>>54217520
>>Lords of Xidit
>This one is weird and probably a personal call, but it features long range (REALLY long range) strategy that leads to some GREAT "Just as planned" when things come together.

I must be doing something wrong because for me Lords of Xidit is more about tactics/calling the moves of our opponents than any big long term strategy
>>
One thing I found kinda interesting I noticed lately:
Dominion with 3 or 4 players is a nice light game to begin the evening.
Dominion with 2 players if chess with statistics.
>>
>>54218059
I think it's outdated data/rationalization, because they're clearly better selling than in the past, but when you question them why P500 they always say it's because they don't want to waste money, and if you ask about convention presence they say it's not in the budget, and doesn't have the ROI they want to see. Last time they answered the Gencon question was 2013 I think, and it's clear they've grown in sales since then.
>boardgamegeek.com/article/12345015#12345015
>>
>>54197580
>>54199732

For the 4X Questions Anon - Having read through the Master of the Galaxy rules, here's my personal take...

Pros:
* Clear concise rules writing. They do a good job of explaining rules and giving easy to understand definitions of the terminology used. And it is NOT loaded with typos making it that much easier to read. (They also do a nice job of using images for examples of game play and resource placement.)

* Multiple victory mechanics allowing multiple strategies to choose from when playing.

* Perfect information - all player's resources and cards are plainly visible to everyone else. (This means you can see who has what supremacy symbols and move to block them, etc.)

* Conflict resolution does NOT involve dice rolling. (I personally don't object to dice based combat mechanics, but it's definitely a big turn off for some and this game avoids the issue entirely.)

Potential Cons:
* Rules - the rules length aren't terribly long compared to many modern board games, but might be more than a 'casual' player is willing to digest in order to play a game.

* Balance issues - until the race and other cards are actually out and known, it will be impossible to predict if there are any 'broken / over-powered' races or resources that unduly imbalance the game.

* Completed tracks - some tracks using resource cubes can have their resource cubes returned to the owner's pool once completed (racial 'agendas' for example). But things later in the game can steal resources and affect that item. It would be handy to have 'Completed' markers to remind all players what tracks have been completed but are still legal targets for resource theft, etc, and the game is lacking those. (It would be easy to come up with any number of home-made markers for this issue.)

* The board itself would really benefit from being designed with dimples to hold the cubes in place during game play. One bump would be disaster otherwise.
>>
>>54215873
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1758810/new-starting-vps-base-game-map
>>
>>54216180
>Can you name a few?
Terra Mystica does everything Scythe attempts to do but does it better.
>>
>>54218989
Thanks for your thoughts! Would you say this has potential and might be a good entry into the world of sci-fi 4X?
>>
>>54219426
Thank you - that's greatly appreciated!

>>54219509
>Would you say this has potential and might be a good entry into the world of sci-fi 4X?

I would. I might throw in on the KS having read the rules. Conflict looks interesting since you play a conflict card, but can't put resources on it until your next turn which means an opponent definitely has the opportunity finish the card first and gain the benefits instead of you.

I'm also really excited about the Empires of the Void II Kickstarter (another 4x game) that I backed and also looks really good.

I'll try and post a short list of other Space 4x games later.
>>
>>54219707
Cool. Thanks for guiding me into that genre.
>>
>>54214770
Don't be a commie prick.
>>
>>54218344
Ah not wanting to waste money is a lot different than not having money and makes a lot of sense
>>
>>54220030
I just noticed while looking at the publisher's site - you can try the game out for free on tabletopia. Obviously you'll need a 2nd player, but that will give you a good feel for the game before deciding to put down any $$$ on the KS.
>>
>>54221230
>>54219707
>>54219509
>>54218989
>>54197580

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyXQB00oh_o

I don't know the guy but he made a review and so far the only one I could find.
>>
>>54221451
>>54221230
Didn't we have this exact copypasta ~2 thread back?
>>
>>54221525
What? What copypasta? Posting a link is not copypasta.
>>
>>54221543
>post KS
>3 people bash it for not being 4x
>anon mentions you should play it on tabletopia
>post the same single review of some euro shill raving on it
When the shilling for a game is the same in consecutive threads it doesn't matter if the sentence structure changes, it's just shilled copypasta.
>>
>>54221643
Except it is 4x and there's no shortage of clueless ass-hats here who complain about on topic stuff. And 'God Forbid' that different new fags would ask the same question in different threads.
>>
>>54221843
this post was clearly written by someone who does not regularly use 4chan
>>
>>54218078
Forbidden Stars is pretty good, it shares a lot of DNA with the Starcraft board game if you've had a chance to play that.
>>
File: 1464989803781.jpg (1MB, 1440x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1464989803781.jpg
1MB, 1440x1440px
>play some boardgames
>have some decent mix of game
>got TTS in the steam summer sale
>addicted to Deckbuilders right now

Fuck. Either I have to cure my addiction or fuel it. What are some good deckbuilders for once, and what are great games for other genres? Bonus points for games that are available for TTS since my boardgame group meets like once in 1-2 weeks.
>>
File: santorini onitama.jpg (101KB, 427x429px) Image search: [Google]
santorini onitama.jpg
101KB, 427x429px
Which one? I can't decide. They both look great.
>>
>>54224119
Millennium Blades
>>
>>54224664

I might add that as great as that game is, it's not a deckbuilder in the strictest sense as used by current games to describe a mechanic. When I think Deckbuilder I think Ascension, Clank!, Star Realms, Valley of the Kings, etc. Millenium Blades is more like half economic game, half Euro-style combo point scoring hand management tableau builder.

If that makes any sense.
>>
>>54224300
Onitama, Santorini is overproduced imo.
>>
>>54224119
See >>54224841
>>
>>54224868
I keep hearing that but to me that's not a problem. It makes the game more expensive but it doesn't make the gameplay worse. Golden chess pieces are just as good as wooden ones, just more expensive.
>>
>>54224957
If money, space, and portability don't factor into it then they're about equal.
>>
>>54225037
This. I also chuck The Duke in there for abstracts when all you want is a 2p that'll get replayed a bunch
>>
>>54225172
I already own that one and sadly it doesn't see much play. It's too long and thinky which makes it difficult to always have somebody who's willing to play it. Santorini and Onitama are quicker and lighter so I guess either would see more play than The Duke.
>>
>>54225216
>15-20 minute game
>too long
What?
>>
>>54225603
We tend to overthink so our games often tend to last 30-40 minutes.
>>
>>54225714
In my experience Duke tends to play itself if you commit to unrelenting aggression. I usually beat my friends while outnumbered by like 5:2.
>>
>>54225774
Similar to this I don't always go aggressive but I find my win/loss is much better when I pick a move like I'm playing speed chess
>>
>>54225823
>>54225774
I'll make sure to try that play style next time I play it. Perhaps we've treated it too much like chess.
>>
>>54225774
>>54225823
I haven't played the duke but is it possible that the people you're playing aren't good?
>>
>>54226442
That's an eminent possibility, they aren't good at games with no economical aspect.
>>
>>54226442
Possible, but unlike say Chess you're always dealing with some random elements. Obsessing about moves that may come up is less effective than trying to either remove your opponents pieces already on the board, or push his duke into a bad position.
>>
File: sks.jpg (65KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
sks.jpg
65KB, 450x450px
Why would anyone want to play Euro Monopoly? Just go back to playing in your european medieval cities
>>
>>54224119
>What are some good deckbuilders for once

Core Worlds is one I really like. Arctic Scavengers isn't bad, but not as deep as Core Worlds.
>>
>>54215535
P500 basically is Kickstarter without the stupid drama and hype.

>>54216595
>With Kickstarter they would sell several thousand copies in one go.
Please show me the market data that led you to this belief.

>>54221643
>some euro shill
Marco is a known as a war gamer, that is about as far away from euro as you can get.
>>
>>54227123
*European
>>
>>54226457
>>54226534
Definitely understand, thanks for clarifying
>>
>>54224300
I've honestly gotten more universal appeal out of Onitama. Santorini is a lot of fun too, but loses by a hair to the fact that it's harder to setup and more awkward when you play with the god powers thanks to their non descript card symbology that you will want to look up no matter how well you think you understand the picture. It's a minor amount of time, but when talking about a 10-20 minute game, you're asking a lot to make setup time even just a bit worse.
>>
>>54224119
Helionox is pretty good, still some days til the Kickstarter ends.
>>
File: conventionplays.jpg (111KB, 574x770px) Image search: [Google]
conventionplays.jpg
111KB, 574x770px
Got back from a sci fi convention, used it to play a good deal of boardgames. Sadly, I found a lot of games that were starting were starting with an already full set of players. I'd be the guy to teach the games myself, but that would require me to know a majority of the games or to have to read rules on the spot. Will probably bring my own games next year along with a sign that says how many players we're looking for.
>>
>>54228788
How was ascension?
>>
>>54228390
Actually I think the Deluxe Edition KS is already over. I need to see if I can get on as a late backer. It did look like a cool game.
>>
File: lyngk.jpg (17KB, 246x245px) Image search: [Google]
lyngk.jpg
17KB, 246x245px
Is this worth a buy? Never played one of the other games of the series but I hear they are pretty good for the most part.
>>
>>54232914
I finally got to playtest it the other day, it's not as good as YINSH imo but it's very good. The biggest thing is compared to the rest of the GIPF series, which are all attractive games, it's GORGEOUS. Pictures and video reviews make it look very nice, but in person it's even better. I think if I were looking for a deeper/longer 2p abstract it might be the one, it definitely doesn't fit into the same tier as Santorini/Onitama/Quantum/The Duke, except on looks. This is for when you've got a regular 2s partner and you're looking for something that takes more of the evening and can burn your brain a little.
>>
File: Space 4x list.jpg (2MB, 1050x2314px) Image search: [Google]
Space 4x list.jpg
2MB, 1050x2314px
>>54219509
Here's my simple 4x review.
>>
>>54230852
Not the same guy, but there's the app and the steam game if you want to try It out
>>
>>54233343
Oh cool, thanks anon. I'll have to check it out
>>
>>54233211

What's your opinion on New Dawn?
>>
>>54234741
>What's your opinion on New Dawn?

If it's the one from Stronghold Games, I haven't played that one myself. I do have every one of the games in the 4x image with the exception of Burning Suns, and nothing I've seen so far makes me want to pick up a copy.
>>
>>54224119
>good deckbuilders
Star Realms, Paperback, Legendary
>>
https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/64041/fragor-games-announces-wallace-gromit-license-next
>>
>>54235383
Please God let it be like Snow Tails or Poseidon's Kingdom, not another A Game of Gnomes
>>
Anyone here wanna play Santorini or Sub Terra on Tabletopia?
>>
>>54230852
It's pretty good. Depending on what sets are active, you often jump between sides of the line that are either so interactive that it completely fucks you over or so non interactive that you get exhausted watching other people take their turns because the only impact to you is what they buy or kill from the center stage.
>>
>>54236412
I'm still trying to get around to playing Giga-Robo on tabletopia.
>>
File: want_to_believe.jpg (1MB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
want_to_believe.jpg
1MB, 800x1200px
>>54235383
>we could finally have a Wallace & Gromit game that isn't just pleb-tier roll & move
>>
File: cosmic encounter.jpg (19KB, 246x246px) Image search: [Google]
cosmic encounter.jpg
19KB, 246x246px
What extra stuff do you play with? Tech cards? Reward deck? Hazard deck? Space stations?
>>
>>54168173

Warhammer 40k

>Best abstract game
Shadow hunter

>Best party game
Bang

>Best co-op game
Zombicide
>>
File: images.jpg (8KB, 306x165px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 306x165px
>pew! pew! pew!
Yeah I want this.
>>
>>54238355
What game is it? Could be Resident Evil, or 'The Strain' for we know...
>>
>>54166290
did anyone play anything notable thats new from this year? maybe at origins

so far it seems lackluster for games... but gencon has not hit yet.
>>
>>54238089
>Zombicide

I own Zombicide and like it, but I wouldn't rate it above games like Robinson Crusoe that require some skill and real team work.
>>
File: 1489901151073.png (62KB, 486x332px) Image search: [Google]
1489901151073.png
62KB, 486x332px
>Friend always wants to play twilight struggle
>He ALWAYS plays USSR and refuses to play USA ever
>He wins a majority of the time and actually rubs it in people's faces

Twilight Struggle is a really neat concept for a board game, and the first few times you play it, it's really fun. However, the game becomes unfun when everyone even remotely familiar with it only plays USSR.
>>
>>54241580
Twilight Struggle is legit garbage. Don't let anyone try to bully you into playing it. The game is incredibly imbalanced and the creators haven't fixed it. The expansion also makes the game worse.

>inb4 BUT *I* WIN AS THE USA ALL THE TIME
Statistics don't lie. The USSR wins more often, so much so that in TS tournaments they actually bid influence to get to see who plays the USSR. This can lead to the USA player starting with a gigantic advantage and they STILL lose more often.
>>
>>54239630
Fireteam Zero
>>
>>54238071
Reward deck is pretty much mandatory, the rest... I don't really care much either way.
>>
>>54240258
It always seems lackluster until July, there's plenty either just out or out soon though. Compare some of the big releases (note I say big not AMAZING) from last year
>AH:LCG
>Terraforming Mars
>Great Western Trail
>MoM 2E
>Mechs vs Minions
>Santorini
>Clank
>The Networks
>Inis
>SW: Destiny
>Hero Realms
None of them came out before August, and some only had limited sales at Gencon before their full release later in the fall or at Essen
>>
>>54242497
valid, i hope theres a bunch of good stuff.

the godfather game seems promising.
>>
>>54242497
MvM has such a cool draft programming system.
Too bad the game is garbage.
>>
>>54197919

Short Version: Hell Yes, Gloomhaven ooooowwwwns.

Long Version: Gloomhaven has an absurd amount of content. This doesn't make a game good in and of itself (or else we'd all be playing 504 nonstop), but so far I've only come across one mission that I didn't really enjoy that much (all the rest were fantastic), and all of the flavor and town/road events has been top-notch. Now, because you have this much content in a long-ass campaign, you'll want a relatively consistent group of people, but there isn't a requirement that everyone needs to be there every time or anything; the player count scaling on missions is great.

But setting aside the overarching campaign for a minute, this is flat-out the best tactical combat out there. Nothing else I've played comes close. It's hex-based with miniatures (well, standees for the enemies because it would be unfeasibly huge otherwise), but it operates off of a hand management system--you start with a hand of cards for your character (and all of the classes play radically differently), and you play two cards a turn, picking the top half of one (these are typically attacks) and the bottom half of the other (typically movement), and it isn't locked in which is which until you take your turn. These cards go into your discard, which you have to recover by resting (and you permanently lose a card when you rest), or some powerful cards are immediately lost on use. Initiative is determined by the cards you play, and you don't know enemy initiatives before you go, so there's some great uncertainty there (but you still have flexibility in how you use the two cards you picked). Also, because you're gradually losing cards as the mission goes on, there's a constant pressure to keep moving, and to handle things efficiently. The AI is nicely robust, the enemy variety is good, and overall I can't recommend it enough. Also, it doesn't use dice, instead going with decks of attack modifiers, which you customize as your character levels.
>>
>>54243124

To give you a sense of character variety, here's our party:

The Savvas Cragheart: a tanky character who has a lot of ranged AoE. As he's levelled he's picked up a lot of cards that play around with obstacles (you have multiple options each level), dropping them on the map and damaging nearby enemies, picking them up and throwing them, or shoving enemies into/through obstacles and walls for a bunch of damage. Slow initiative, though, and has some friendly fire issues sometimes.

The Quatryl Tinker: A support class, he packs a lot of heals. He also has summons (a battlebot and a killbot), the ability to set up an automatic turret on himself, a straight-up death laser, and other powerful single-use effects.

The Orchid Spellweaver: A wizard-y character, she's frail and has a relatively small hand size, but she's got some really devastating magical attacks... but they're mostly single-use. Fortunately, she also has a card that lets her recover all her lost cards (which is itself single-use), so it's a matter of blowing everything up, taking a breather, and trying to go the rest of the distance with the reset.

The Vermling Mindthief: A speedy but frail melee character, the mindthief gets augments--cards that stay in play and modify his attacks, doing things like increasing his damage, making all his attacks heal him, or making his melee attack ranged. Also has the ability to mind-control enemies, or straight-up explode a dude's head Scanners-style, damaging all the enemies near that guy with skull shrapnel.

And these are just characters available at the beginning, not even ones you have to unlock. Basically, the game owns.
>>
>>54242880
Yeah I used to feel like every year the previous was going to outstrip, but the hype machine keeps churning, and games do keep getting better (or at least better produced while mechanics never change). I'm betting there will be a dozen hits that people are drooling over in 3 months.

>>54242909
I keep trying to figure out exactly what they were going for. The production is nuts, the programming seems brilliant, but gamers I know keep telling me it's got no depth and after one playthrough it's done. Were they setting out to make a non-Legacy Legacy game? Was it just they figured they'd sell to vidya fans and they're pants on head retarded and unable to handle tabletops? I've got to be missing something because it makes no sense
>>
>>54168123
An anon after my heart. I have this, too, but I've never had the heart to play my copy because it's the chits are still unpunched. Maybe someday...
>>
new thread
>>54244335
>>54244335
>>
>>54243269
I fell asleep before finishing your post. I can't imagine how mind-numbingly boring actually playing that game would be.
>>
>>54243343
New thread is up ----> >>54244335
>>
>>54244133
I saw another copy in game store a few weeks ago. I was almost tempted to pick it up.
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.