[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>create setting with biology entirely divergent from earth's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 16744300829_6c9e5cc0ff.jpg (69KB, 364x366px) Image search: [Google]
16744300829_6c9e5cc0ff.jpg
69KB, 364x366px
>create setting with biology entirely divergent from earth's because people keep complaining about 'rubber forehead alien' fantasy races and 'humans with pointy ears'
>no one wants to play in the setting because none of the races are human enough
jesus fucking christ
>>
File: Humans are dicks.jpg (96KB, 751x658px) Image search: [Google]
Humans are dicks.jpg
96KB, 751x658px
>>54162580
Sometimes people just want to play a bunch of adventurers who are like them and don't give a shit about playing weird scifi snowflake races. Sometimes people legitimately want to play human characters for a reason besides the free feat.
>>
>>54162580
No... no... It's too obtuse. I'm sorry, but you're just not being authentic enough here. The whole post is too pointed and really doesn't show any signs of it actually being real.
For instance, if you'd really spent that much effort creating alien races, and you made this thread, you would've included a description of the alien itself, because I'd want to brag about it and put it on display for /tg/ so they can actually judge whether the species is worth playing or interesting enough.
Second, you're deliberately confusing Biology and mentality here, keeping it vague and open to inviting response.

I mean, you could've at least fabricated an Alien race to gawk at while we side with your players for whatever contrarian reason dictates we do so.
>>
>>54162580
>>no one wants to play in the setting because none of the races are human enough
The fuck didn't you include humans in the setting?
>>
>>54162661
No, because the setting doesn't have mammals.

>>54162645
Fuck of Wayne.
>>
>>54162685
I dunno. Wayne's kinda right.
>>
Speak for yourself; I've got players stoked to play non human races.

The trick is that they can't -just- be weird alien-looking creatures (take, as an example the "least human" of my races, the Cranid, 6 compound eyes, velvety skin, 2 thumbs on each hand and a widely different body morphology than a human) they also need to have depth to their character (same race has a marriage/bonding ritual where the female makes the warp and the male makes the weft of the family tapestry, which is passed down to the eldest daughter as a dowry).

It also helps to have art of the races. Nobody wanted to be the Ijosai (one of the more humanoid races; they're inspired by both polynesians as well as vikings and...sharks/sea-lions as semi-amphibious humanoids) until I drew what they looked like. Now that they have a face tot he name, as it were, plural players expressed interest in being one.
>>
>>54162696
I'll just post some stuff on it then. From the start I took it and examined the evolutionary path post movement to land and later focused in on a particular subsection. This ended with a variety of life, the subsection that produced two of the three intelligence species, had the following characteristics:

>had a structure similar to a notocord, but which radiated from a central point in either four or six pointed bisection, this variety were all four pointed
>do not have the same sexes and instead have 'donor' and 'carrier', a carrier needed two sets of DNA equivalent from two different donors to have a child
>donors not produce separate sperm/eggs and instead their gonads are hollow tubes like a mosquito that they inject blood with, on a prehensile appendage, carriers when they get foreign blood from their own species will naturally deconstruct it and store it in their body for a time isolated
>communicate not through sound, but mainly through light due to the wave lengths of light their sun gives out
>do not have a discernible head, instead their sensory organs are on a prehensile appendage like their gonads and mouth
>physically amphibioid-like and requiring a constant supply of water to wallow in for some amount of the day to keep their prehensile limbs moist and supple

The setting featured two species of koguroids (the class of animal these creatures were), one where the only the carriers were intelligent and basically had non-sapient animalistic donors are a slave race (and their prehensile limbs were such that they could be away from water for a longer period of time) and the other where they lived in a variety of societies but all water dependent due to their needs to stay constantly moist.
>>
>>54162729
Now as you can see from this the fact that their sexes are vastly different means sexuality and how it impacts culture is completely changed. They do not process sound like we do and thus the arts are extremely different. Their ideas of modesty and partnership are different due to fact their gonads are on a prehensile limb and how mating occurs.

These are just a few obvious factors.
>>
>>54162729
And that, friends, is how you cut to the most interesting point in a thread. Let's give OP a big hand, he's a good sport, and as for the rest, I'll leave it to you folks to judge OP for his creative merit.

Though I will say that Mentality and Biology can be separated, and you can insert familiar frames of mind into new species without it getting too "human in a dog's body."

Making something Relatable doesn't mean it has to be unoriginal.
>>
>>54162768
No seriously Wayne kill yourself.
>>
>>54162791
I don't know why he feels the need to post inevery single thread that's created on this board
>>
>>54162696
>Reading Wayne posts
I think you've got the 'tism
>>
>>54162580
When the players say they don't want rubber forehead aliens, what they're really saying is they want lizard-headed aliens. When the players say they don't want humans with pointy ears, what they're really saying is they want furry humans with animal ears.

It's the same as with "political campaigns". Don't overestimate the players.
>>
>>54163075
You're at least partially right, there's not much farther you can go for a still-humanoid-enough-to-use-human-equipment player race than furry races and standard fantasy races, with the occasional anthropomorphic lovecraftian monster
>>
>>54162645
Shut the fuck up Wayne.
>>
>>54162580
>make setting for vocal minority
>surprised when majority doesn't like it
>>
>>54162645
I like the idea of bait reviews

We can review them like food or sushi or wine
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.