[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for system recommendations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: ss+(2017-07-04+at+06.19.46).png (215KB, 1936x1066px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-07-04+at+06.19.46).png
215KB, 1936x1066px
So I want to run a campaign, but I don't know what system to run it in. It's going to be mostly a dungeon-crawling game, with an emphasis on exploration and world design, heavily inspired by Dark Souls. In fact, the setting I'm using was created because Darks Souls 1 made me want to design an intricate and interconnected world in the style of Lodran. The intention is to run a game entirely based around exploring and making progress through the world, opening pathways and shortcuts and finding ways to overcome previously inaccessible obstacles as they learn more about their situation.

The thing is, I have plenty of plans for the game's progression, encounters, plot, all that fun stuff, but I don't have a system chosen yet. What would you guys recommend that has a good focus on combat and rewards strategic play, but still gives the characters a chance to use their skills for talking to people, investigating areas, and so on? Having magic not be too powerful (so no one can break the progression too badly) and allowing for interestingly designed enemy encounter and boss fights would be a plus. I've only run a handful of games, and the only system I could claim to be even slightly well-versed in is GURPS, which doesn't seem like the right choice for this kind of thing (Unless I'm wrong?).

Pic related is my rough mockup for the setting, a city built on and around a chasm in the side of a cliff, that seperates a vast desert from an endless sea of dark forests. Some researchers of the arcane opened a rift in reality semi-accidently, something looked back out, and now everyone's going insane and space/time is refusing to behave itself. The players will wake up in a makeshift lab with a horribly corrupted scientist experimenting on them, and things will go downhill from there.
>>
>>54157952
If you're willing to wait... I honestly think FFG's Genesys is going to fit the bill.
>>
>>54157952
Maybe try Torchbearer or Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2e. Alternatively it seems a lot of Basic retroclones would work well for you.
>>
>>54157952
I don't see a particular issue with using GURPS; it certainly has a focus on strategic combat combined with a breadth to cover other areas as well. I know one of the regular writers is using it for a megadungeon too.

Though to be honest, megadungeons are megadungeons; any competent system will work as most of the onus is on the GM and his ability to prepare, not necessarily the system. Torchbearer would work wonders if you want the focus to be more on careful resource management. Any version of D&D including OSR but ignoring 3.PF would also be doable.
>>
I vote for RuneQuest 6/Mythras mechanically they're almost the same game, the latter is easier to find and has some rule revisions, also a smaller page count. It's got an intricate character building process that makes your background and history matter for your skills, fighting skill is achieved by fighting style (so say your character has "hoplite style," that skill covers spear and shield, sling, gladius, and fighting turtle formation), combat uses hit locations and can be gritty and rewarding, and magic isn't built into the system like it is in D&D or many other fantasy RPGs.
You can say "only hedge magic exists," and spells are all basic wise woman type stuff. There's like four other types of magic (with their own skill) and none of them are necessary for the game, so you can pick and choose which ones are available.
>>
Strike! combat with a skill system of your choice. Torchbearer is also pretty good.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.