[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RuneQuest 47

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 178
Thread images: 23

File: unnamed.jpg (135KB, 530x681px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
135KB, 530x681px
The 7th, or 4th if you ignore the last 14 years, edition is a thing. As expected, /tg/ doesn't seem to care. But neither does anyone else apart from the odd fanatic squaking in a dusty corner.

So, how about a RQ/Glorantha-thread?
Will /tg/ finally start using the d20 for its intended purpose - rolling hit locations? Are ducks really worse than bipedal, thumbless tapirs? Will the metaplot kill Glorantha? Is the d100 the best die ever? Will the edition war consume the world?
>>
>>54133733
I always kind of liked the skill-based approach of RuneQuest, though the crunch level was a bit too high for my comfort. I couldn't tell you the difference between the editions though, aside from Glorantha popping in and out of existence.
>>
>>54133733
If I didn't play and enjoy King of the Dragon Pass, I wouldn't even know Runequest exists.
>>
>>54134053
It was one of the first big skill-based system on the market, so much like Traveller, it's got history. These days though, its system (albeit a streamlined form of it) is probably much better known from Call of Cthulhu.
>>
>>54134346
Now see that's some neat shit I did not know.
>>
>>54133733
>not posting a link to the free pdf quickstart
http://www.chaosium.com/runequest-roleplaying-in-glorantha-quickstart/

I was doubtful at first, but after reading through it I've become rather excited. The adventure looks fun, if a bit straightforward, and the art is excellent.
>>
>>54133733
I'll be getting it. I've wanted to get something out of the chaosium line, but with the full BRP book costing over $80 wherever I look I think this will be the way to go.
>>
What are some of the best books to learn about Glorantha?
>>
>>54134887
The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell
>>
>>54134887
Guide to Glorantha I and II are a very good summary of the setting and main cultures.
Sartar : Kingdom of Heroes and Sartar Companion are good for the Orlanthi.
I like The Book of Heortling Mythology (History of the Heortling is cool too but I don't think there is much direct use of it ingame) too but it's not as needed.
>>
>>54135372
The Guide to Glorantha is probably the worst place to start for a beginner. That's like learning to swim by jumping in the ocean.

Heroquest Glorantha, Sartar Kingdom of Heroes, and the upcoming Glorantha Sourcebook would be my recommendations.

And of course there's always King of Dragon Pass, which is probably far and away the best introduction to Glorantha ever created.
>>
File: 1417978839311.jpg (819KB, 926x931px) Image search: [Google]
1417978839311.jpg
819KB, 926x931px
>>54134487
I figured I'd set off the shill alert if I did. So I decided to let the thread simmer a bit to see if it came to life.
And I agree, it looks good. Still not sure if they did he right thing ditching RQ6.

>>54134879
Don't go shopping on Amazon

>>54134887
The guide to Glorantha and the Stafford Library if you're full of money and free time.
KoDP and the Glorantha Classics if you want it for playing.
>>
>>54134887
>>54135621

Don't forget the Prince of Sartar webcomic, which is going to be the quickest way to get the general feels of the setting

http://www.princeofsartar.com/
>>
>>54135665
The shill button is triggered pretty readily around here.

It's hard to say whether it was a mistake or not to abandon RQ6 and remodel everything on RQ2. The only people who can really say are the ones who had the chance to buy a copy of the playtest rules that were printed for Gencon a few years ago.

For myself, I think it was the right call. Although it cost Chaosium two (or maybe three) years of development time, it also gave them the advantage of allowing Glorantha's popularity to grow and mature. I think their launch will be much more successful now than it would have been if they'd released the ruleset for RQ6.
>>
Didn't they cockblock the dudes who made Mythras because they used Runequest name? To be honest the way they did magic was pretty shitty, giving stats to forging hammer, saying how much wind affects combat. Too much damn information mate, I dont wanna intimidate my players with 500 pages thick book full of nonsense.
>>
>>54135926
>Didn't they cockblock the dudes who made Mythras because they used Runequest name?

They absolutely did. That's why it's called "Mythras" now, and not "Runequest 6".

The Mythras book is not small, and the huge damn supplement for Glorantha would not have helped matters.
>>
>>54135962
I'm glad they did that. The book was a dissapointment, I find it a hussle to fix bad stuff from it. So this thing they are releasing russtled my jimmies, I will give it a read. I hope it is not a big pile of mess, and that magic is easy to understand and read. Cuz Mythras developers are worse at English than I am ._. .
>>
>>54135926
I don't know if cockblocking is the right word, but they sure did something.
As for information overload, I thought RQ6 magic was good (if perhaps more generic than gloranthan), forging hammers are excellent improvised weapons and wind does affect combat quite significantly.
RQ6's size has been whittled down to 350 pages in Mythras with simply a layout-change. RQ7 is going to end up fatter.
>>
>>54136151
My problem with magic is it does not use gaming terms to describe things in an accuret manner. Mysticisam is very confusing, Psionics need few reads to get right. The other forms are easier to understad, and could take less pages to explain. I remember the font used to annoy me, have they changed it to something readable in the new edition?
>>
>>54136151
I thought the biggest reduction between RQ6 and Mythras was doing away with Glorantha stuff
>>
>>54136234
Kind of? Magic, animism in particular, has been tweaked an reworded a bit. The glorious ligatures of RQ6 are replaced by boring standard fonts and an effective, but hideous layout.
>>
File: Ad - Runequest.jpg (126KB, 552x356px) Image search: [Google]
Ad - Runequest.jpg
126KB, 552x356px
>>54136284
Yeah, that was all of ..2 pages? 1 and a half?
>>
>>54136284
Vinga is Cute! CUTE!
>>
I for one found Mongoose one to be well made. I like it as well as their Traveler. I found it easy to get players for Traveler after I point out the well needed changes they did .Shame I could not find anyone willing to try Rune Quest a try. I hope that Chaosium did not go back and make things a mess again.
>>
>>54136565
For what I read about mongoose runequest, it was a mess, specially the setting. Some what they made the god learners and empire of the wyrms friends seems generic and boring.
>>
File: RuneQuest 4ed.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
RuneQuest 4ed.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>54136605
Here is MRQ. It did not produce a lot of joy and merrymaking. MRQII did.
The setting books are officially denounced as non-canon. Still perfectly usable, even were some gems in the line.
>>
>>54136605
I can care less about house settings. I look at the rules and make a setting based on what you can do in that rule set. One of the reasons I hate Shadowrun (setting and rules disagree a LOT). And everyone wants to GM the setting. Eclipse Phase does the same thing. Again GM want to do the setting and the rules get in the way. The one time (a whole campaign lasting a year) I played in the Glorantha setting I seen that but the GM had made a LOT of house rules for Rune Quest ED 2. so I was welling to buy, read the book. I like those rules. I dislike games where the NPCs can do things I as a player can not -Two Cents
>>
>>54136820
Thank You
>>
I am interested in Runequest because I have always liked BRP and the setting sounds like a good departure from medieval fantasy. Is the version in the OP, 7th edition, completely new? Or is it based off an older edition? I understand that Mythras is just Runequest 6e + better layout - Glorantha fluff.
>>
File: Voices.pdf (3MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Voices.pdf
3MB, 1x1px
>>54137402
It's basicly RQ2.5, polished and buffed to modern standards and sensibilities.
>>
>>54135847
I plan on stealing from both and mixing them together.

If only I could get my hands on a copy of Adventures in Gloranatha as well.
>>
File: Sandy's notes.pdf (707KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Sandy's notes.pdf
707KB, 1x1px
Some files.
>>
File: D100II_SRD_1_2.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
D100II_SRD_1_2.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>54138118
Skeletonized RQ2
>>
File: RuneQuest Essentials.pdf (6MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
RuneQuest Essentials.pdf
6MB, 1x1px
>>54138146
RQ6
>>
>>54135993
The editing on the Quickstart is pretty good, with the biggest thing I noticed being that they keep using the goddamn Heat rune for Fire. I would definitely recommend reading through it if you're at all interested in Glorantha.

>>54136284
>>54137402
The runes were the only part of Runequest 6 that were even moderately linked to Glorantha -- and even in that sense it was merely a holdover and part of the layout. I don't recall Glorantha even being mentioned. Runequest 6 was in every sense a completely generic system.

>>54136354
Are you talking about Mythras or RQG?

>>54136919
>I can care less
So you do care somewhat?

My take on the goal of RQG is to set up Glorantha in the Hero Wars and let the adventurers do great and epic things, while establishing a baseline of what's "realistic" in the setting. We still have a lot to see when the game is released, but I'm very hopeful from the look of the Quickstart.
>>
>>54138419
Mythras. It hurts my eyes. RQG looks really good, as did RQ6. The differerence between paying for layout and learning as you go, I guess.
>>
>>54138488
I really feel bad for the Mythras devs. They put a ton of work into the Glorantha supplement and basically got it dumped down the drain -- and had to refit their existing product to boot.

I bet they just couldn't afford to get a better layout guy.
>>
>>54137922
>If only I could get my hands on a copy of Adventures in Gloranatha as well.
Good luck. They printed 60 copies and the people that bought them are likely never going to give them up.
>>
File: Freebase.jpg (16KB, 423x422px) Image search: [Google]
Freebase.jpg
16KB, 423x422px
>>54134487
>http://www.chaosium.com/runequest-roleplaying-in-glorantha-quickstart/

>"Free PDF"
>mfw it shows £7.68 as the price plus P+P
>>
>>54138922
The cost is for a printed version. If you'd scrolled down a bit more you would have found the link to the free pdf.

https://www.chaosium.com/content/FreePDFs/RuneQuest/CHA4027%20-%20RuneQuest%20Quickstart.pdf
>>
>>54138922

THat's the physical book. Scroll down, under the video, and click the "FREE PDF DOWNLOAD!" link.
>>
How is the system for running Glorantha?
Is there too much of a dichotomy between the system and the fluff or it's ok?
How is Sorcery, Theistic/Runic Magic and Spirit Magic?
>>
>>54138583
As someone who is year 2 into grahical design I call bullshit. Anyone who was tought in InDesign and similar programs can make a better layout. I bet they did it, that is why it is bad.
>>
>>54139395
The new Runequest is built for Glorantha, so I'd say pretty good.

Sorcery hasn't been previewed yet, but the Rune and Spirit magic seems simple and easy. It might not be quite as flavorful as I'd like, but it does the job.

>>54139469
Could be that they did it, but I would bet that the root cause for that decision was to save money -- whether or not it was justified.
>>
I'm super down for this game, but the lack of stuff like Mythras' special effects to add something mechanically interesting is killing me. Also the fact they're sticking with the weird scaling critical and special success thing. I'm probably going to be in it mainly for the setting material.
>>
>>54139635
An important point to note is that the special successes will actually involve things like "impaling" with a stabbing weapon, so the results will actually be "special" instead of just slightly less good criticals.

I believe the Rune and Spirit Magic are designed to take the mechanical space that Mythras's special effects occupy.
>>
>>54135815
Awesome, thanks anon!
>>
>>54135815
>http://www.princeofsartar.com/
Good stuff. I was going to ask for some kind of glossary but it actually explains stuff below each page.
>>
>>54133733
bump!
>>
I've never played RQ but am really interested in Glorantha. While I like what I see in the quickstart, I'm afraid the full game will be way too rules heavy for my taste. I wish there was some kind of actual Glorantha wiki I could browse but I've been unable to find anything good online. Don't know if I want to buy an $50 book just to read about someone else's setting in too-exhaustive detail.

>>54138922
Is that Thadart?
>>
>>54145659
I wish there was more love for Glorantha, I'd really love to play and get into it but I've never seen anyone in decades of RPGs into it.

>>54145748
Yeah, while I like the setting I'm not so sure about this system. Isn't there a 13th Age version coming?

Could always do it with FATE I guess, Barbarians of Lemuria probably wouldn't work.
>>
>>54145773
>I've never seen anyone in decades of RPGs into it
Yes, I've never seen another live human who also knew of Glorantha, let alone wanted to play in it.
>>
>>54145748
Try the Glorantha wiki
http://glorantha.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
And the Glorantha tumblr
http://glorantha.tumblr.com

>>54145773
There is a 13th Age supplement slated for release this year, along with the system-neutral Glorantha Sourcebook.
>>
>>54146313
The 13th Age supplement has been in the works for years.
>>
>>54145850
Elephant in the room.

It can be hard to describe the setting, even. At a certain point I start to feel discouraged looking at the same four hippie dads/sad Classics majors post on the G+ page. Roleplaying is a social activity, darn it

Anon, what can we do to help grow Glorantha? Pitch it on tumblr as the "world's first culturally inclusive RPG setting?" Go to the Exalted and Elder Scrolls generals and remind them who their grandpa is? Beg Zak S. to sell a series of paintings in which a naked hairdresser nuzzles a morocanth?
>>
>>54147248
It's my opinion that the vast majority of RPG players have no interest in learning a setting with any depth unless you can somehow sneak them in to the back door. Such as people getting into Game of Thrones games once the show came out or people who are weebs into Legend of the Five Rings.

I'm not really knocking those people, lots of players I've played with just don't have the time to learn a serious setting like Glorantha, such is life as a grown up and all.

This doesn't give you much as an answer, best I can say is try to have a small community somewhere online to aim people (like me) who aren't Glorantha people but interested in learning.
>>
>>54133733
Is the game still going to be about being in debt to the Woodcutters guild for teaching you to cut wood?
>>
>>54149143
Going by the first module in the quickstart, it's now about grand cattle theft.
>>
>>54136371
This picture is way I never cared for the setting. The word realism used a lot. The reason why I have to make a goat farmer starting adventurer. It always takes it self very dirty real vs D&D is something to be made fun of. A very powerful magic item is a light source . Then they put in the dam duck race out of right field.
>>
>>54150118
It's more of a marketing problem than anything.
Not that you are forced to care about the setting, no one can make you do anything after all, but it's not much of an argument against the setting itself.
>>
>>54150118
A shitty 20 (30?) -something year old ad is keeping you from enjoying what may otherwise be an enjoyable game, huh?
>>
>>54150242
NO, just way the setting was set up and the hand full of people still willing to play it. I can get players for traveler with the mongoose rules set. After telling player the rumor/true facts of sending hour rolling only to see your stating adventurer die or be so old as can do nothing. The setting sells the game. No one would play RuneQuest (which on reading look like a good rule set) due to the rumors mostly based on the (then old) setting.
>>
>>54150118
I agree with you about the marketing but Glorantha was always Bronze-Iron Age Fantasy with magic mostly trying to be what ancient thought what magic was and a few silly elements because that's what Greg Stafford think is funny.
Player characters are just tied to that reality but it only means being a classic medieval fantasy is generally not considered realistic so they have background like coming from an agricultural society or being backed by it even when they become heroes.
I don't think it's really pretentious, even many medieval fantasy settings play more the medieval part straight and will ask you to have a credible background and reminds the GM and players about the mercenary nature of advrnturers.
>>
>>54150424
Well it's still a presentation/marketing problem.
>>
>>54146998
I'm well aware.
>>
>>54147248
>Pitch it on tumblr as the "world's first culturally inclusive RPG setting?
You really don't wanna go there. You'd be amazed at how fast the SJWs will find Glorantha to be "problematic" because of this and that. It's not the fickle, obsessive kind of fanbase you want to attract.
>>
File: hnswertgb.jpg (144KB, 445x749px) Image search: [Google]
hnswertgb.jpg
144KB, 445x749px
>quickstart rules
>giant-ass conversion chart

Fuck, no thanks. This kind of shit went out of style with AD&D and should have stayed out of style forever.
>>
>>54151288
>an unnecessary chart that literally does the math for you

At least give it a chance before you dismiss it out of hand.
>>
File: 1417790268084 (1).jpg (190KB, 611x766px) Image search: [Google]
1417790268084 (1).jpg
190KB, 611x766px
>>54150118
I don't really care much about Glorantha. It's cool and all, with all sorts of stuff to steal, but by itself it doesn't stroke me quite the right way.
The new RQ looks neat and I'll probably pick it up, but Mythras will still be the one being played.
>>
>>54147248
As a Glorantha neophyte myself, here's why I think it has remained in perpetual obscurity:

>It's old
Glorantha just doesn't have the momentum to "explode onto the scene" in the modern age of instant communication like newer settings do.

>It's held by a small company
Chaosium doesn't have the dosh to really push Glorantha. I consider myself to be someone fairly well-read and up-to-date on RPGs, but I had read Call of Cthulhu and Pendragon before hearing anything more than references to "RQ", let alone Glorantha itself.

>It's BIG
This is the thing that keeps normies out. For the most part, they don't want to read even 100 pages of straight setting information, and assuming they do they will feel tied down. I think a lot of them want to feel like they're frontiersman exploring the unknown (at least in America) and that isn't really possible in Glorantha.

For reference, three of the biggest normie settings right now are Forgotten Realms, A Song of Ice and Fire and Harry Potter. FR is attached to the biggest, most marketed brand in tabletop gaming while ASoIaF and HP have movies/shows that hook normies and actual STORIES to read instead of encyclopedias.

>It's complicated
This is the ultimate test for mass appeal - try to describe a setting the way a normie would, in three words, two of which must be "n shieeeet". FR is "dungeons n shieeet", ASoIaF is "knights n shieeeet", HP is "wizards n shieeet". Is that a gross oversimplification? Yes, but that's how normies operate.

So what is Glorantha? Dungeons, knights and wizards are all cultural shorthand for concepts normies are, consciously or not, familiar with. How much modern media features the Bronze Age or living myths? There's no touchstones for normies to say "it's like..." Even an indie game like BitD can say "It's like Peakie Blinders meets Dishonored" and that's got it. Maybe we'll be able to compare Glorantha to the new Assassin's Creed, God forbid.

cont
>>
>>54151567
The multiple game editions, constant revisions and over-complicated rules don't help either.
>>
>>54151288
The rules behind that chart are easy as fuck. If your result is lower or the same as your ability it is a succes. If the result is in the top 5% of your ability it's a crit. If it's in the top 20% it's a special and if its fucking low its a fumble
>>
>>54151567
So that's why normies don't know about Glorantha. There's nothing for them to latch onto short of massive tomes that they'll probably never see anyway.

But what about tabletop players? Most of them already have a pet setting they are invested in, homebrew or otherwise, and either don't want to change or feel obligated not to. What's more, Glorantha is now tied to the very complex, old school RQ rules while the market is clearly moving in a lighter, narrative-focused direction. The "narrative rules" for Glorantha, HeroQuest Glorantha, is 250+ pages! Even tabletop players don't have time for that shit anymore.

I think the Khan of Khans board game and KoDP before it are steps in the right direction, but Glorantha needs compelling novels and a new video game at a minimum for the setting itself to see any momentum. If the RQ game is going to see adoption it better hew closer to the quickstart than I expect it to.
>>
>>54151254
Yeah they would like Vinga and the far more obscure Nandan (even if they would exagerate the whole "crossgender" aspect of these two subcults , Heler too) but they would eventually get triggered by the Esrolians being more misandrists than the Orlanthi are misogynists and the Lunar Empire being somewhat SJW.
>>
>>54151688
I honestly think they need to get back into board games for it.
I mean, the God War stuff is interesting, but an updated version of the old 'Dragon Pass' board game, where you're playing the mythic epic clash of magic-fueled civilizations, feels like it really sells the important parts of the setting.
(Of course, there's the disconnect there between Hero Wars Glorantha and Runequest Glorantha, since HW gives the impression of demigods doing amazing feats, and RQ is all about stabbing a bandit in the gut to steal his copper helmet.)
>>
>>54151914
Nah, even though most people default to an anti-Lunar perspective, the Empire isn't necessarily the default bad guys (pls no memes). They're a viable side as well; you'd certainly have the tumblr crowd arguing in their favor, of course, and probably saying disparaging things about people who DON'T side with the Lunars.
But when you're talking about them getting triggered, I figure the stuff seen with the Broo and the Morocanth (not to mention the 'rape-goddess' Thed) will cause them to freak the fuck out. Hell, I've seen it happen before.
>>
My friends and I want to abandon Pathfinder. Should we jump into Mythras or into RQ 7th edition?
>>
>>54152019
Why the Morocanth?
>>54152104
RQ7 is for the Glorantha setting, Mythras is a generic system.
So RQ7 if you want to play in Glorantha, Mythras for everything else.
>>
As someone who's a more-or-less a total outsider to RQ/Glorantha save having read RQ6 (which I liked quite a bit, especially the bits on Magic and Mysticism), the biggest obstacle to my interest isn't the setting, but the huge number of versions that are floating around out there. It doesn't help that everyone insists that their particular pet edition is the best because it handles the rules about basket weaving better than the other guy's rules about the trajectory of severed eyeballs on a critical hit.
>>
>>54152123
Thanks!
>>
File: broos-graphic.jpg (94KB, 705x359px) Image search: [Google]
broos-graphic.jpg
94KB, 705x359px
>>54151254
#dicksofpeace

>fickle, obsessive kind of fanbase
The gloranthaphiles might not be fickle, but obsessive? Should fit right in.
>>
>>54152104
Mythras or the RQ Essentials upthread (same game) is pretty much the gold standard ruleset-wise.
RQ2, aka RQ Classic, has the Glorantha-content. RQ7 will have more when it releaes in in force.

>>54152124
RQ3 has the best basketweaving rules. No edition actually has rules on eyeball trajectories.
>>
I was thinking of starting a RQ6 game soon, but reading the rules it seems very crunchy. Read through the manual quickly, but between strike ranks, passions, and the not so straightforward magic system, it just feels like we'll spend more time rollplaying than roleplaying. Learning the rules isn't too much of an issue, my worry is the actual session taking ages because of rolls.
>>
>>54152123
The morocanth I've seen trigger some people, due to their using people as slaves and food, and said people not technically being sentient. Admittedly, that's less of an sjw thing, and more of a thing that sets off people who can't handle anything above a pg-rating in their games - not that there's anything wrong with a pg-rated game, it's just that some people freak the fuck out about anything even slightly adult, and seem to think that bringing it up at the table makes you a horrible person. (There is some crossover between Group A and Group B there - people with an SJW perspective, and people who can't handle *anything* weird in their games - though not 100% overlap.)
>>
>>54152210
So it's just a matter of choosing the right setting for the right group and eventually consider what published adventures are out there
>>
>>54152019
Why are Nysalor and Sedenya so wrong? Illumination and Mysticism never destroyed the East.
>>
>>54152345
They look much more intimidating than what they really are. The two downsides of RQ6 are the amount of GM prepwork required for cults and spell lists and whatnot, and that it can easily break in grand melees with many combatants.
>>
>>54152503
It's been a while, but I don't think that the East is Illuminated.
And it's certainly not Mysticism that's the problem, after all. I mean, the glory of the Empire is that it can contain Mysticism, and Shamanism, and Sorcery, and Whatever We Call God-Worship Because I Forgot, all at once! (I actually thought *that* was what Illumination did for you, but it's been a while, so I may be off-base on that.)
And I'm sure there are plenty that would tell you that Sedenya did nothing wrong, and that Nysalor's only problem was being too nice when Gbaji came.
>>
>>54152663
>It's been a while, but I don't think that the East is Illuminated.
Mysticism kinda leads to Illumination as at some point you will experience the Transcendant World and Illumination is pretty much a side-effect of that.
It's just that Mystics go further and meditate to experience it again and again, eventually experiencing it constantly and transcend to it after thousands of years altough the benefits are only spiritual.
>>
>>54152663
Nysalor was Gbaji you goddamn apologist
>>
>>54152822
t. trollposter
>>
File: 1417791158524.jpg (126KB, 669x835px) Image search: [Google]
1417791158524.jpg
126KB, 669x835px
>>54152846
>>
>>54152932
Trolls are honestly the best Elder Race and my favorite fantasy one.
>>
>>54152980
They're certainly the most inventive and original. To be fair, they're also the only ones who had a book dedicated to them during the forming years of Glorantha.
>>
>>54133733
Has it (as in core rulebook) been released yet? Can only see the quickstart which I assume is just used as a preview.
>>
File: dr00les.jpg (111KB, 500x708px) Image search: [Google]
dr00les.jpg
111KB, 500x708px
>>54153062
>>
>>54153138
No, just the quickstart as of now. Think they're planning a late fall release.
>>
>>54153169
What in God's name is that?

>>54153200
I think it's Christmas 2017.
>>
>>54153830
it's an heroic trollkin on the cover of a homebrew.
>>
>>54153984
>heroic
>trollkin
Pick one.
>>
>>54133733
I haven't read the new edition but I kind of don't understand what the game overall is about. Is it for dungeon-crawling? Overworld adventuring? Political drama? The battle system seems incredibly deadly and the skill system seems just kind of there without a giving a clear idea about when it's meaningful to roll for stuff or not. Could anyone shed some light on this?
>>
>>54152822
Next you'll be telling me that Arkat did no wrong, you illiterate Stygian.
Nysalor is love. Nysalor is life.
>>
>>54134028
>>54134346
what exactly do you guys mean by skill based?
>>
>>54133733
I preferred RQ6/Mythras.
>>
>>54154242
Why?
>>
>>54154064
All of it. The system is very open and versatile, and punishes bad decisions and bad luck quite severely, and thus produces a specific kind of dungeon crawling, overworld adventuring and political drama.
Mechanically, you want to avoid rolling the dice to best of your extent; and when you do roll them, make sure to have doctored some advantages. Because those dice are going to fuck something up.
>>
>>54154242
Yeah I'm using Mythras for my Glorantha game right now. It's still largely compatible... 99% of the conversion work has been porting all the Gloranthan spells over.
>>
>>54154302
I liked their combat system as a honing and refinement of RQ2's. I also liked the magic better than in this new one.
>>
>>54154305
Is it good to play in Glorantha?
I must admit that I'm really only a fan of that setting and I was bothered by the system / fluff dissonance of the previous RQ editions even if Heroquest is too narrativist for me.
>>
>>54154064
>what the game overall is about
Playing heroes in a mythic Bronze Age world - questing, exploring and defending your people.

>The battle system seems incredibly deadly
This is because violence isn't always the answer in RQ - you are supposed to size up the odds and only attack with preparation. In most circumstances you should try to find other ways around combat.

>the skill system seems just kind of there
I don't understand; when you try to do something that is a skill, roll that skill.

>without a giving a clear idea about when it's meaningful to roll for stuff or not
On page 2:

>For actions anyone can accomplish without difficulty (getting up, getting dressed, eating, etc.), an adventurer is assumed to automatically succeed, meaning no ability roll is required.
>For any ability performed in a dramatic circumstance, an ability roll is required. It is usually obvious when an ability roll should be made, but if in doubt, the gamemaster should consider the consequences of failure. If the chance of failure heightens tension, makes things exciting, and if failure will add fun to the game, the gamemaster should have the player make an ability roll.
>>
>>54154064
>>54154421
Also page 16 has a blurb all about combat lethality and how to deal with it, and page 18 has a blurb about healing; those should help you understand.
>>
>>54154346
Probably as good as it will get? I don't know, Glorantha isn't my thing. One design goal was to make RQ7 more heroic than earlier editions to fit it better to the balls-out setting..
>>
Does anyone has the Arcane Lore and Middle Sea Empire pdfs from the Stafford Library? these are the only ones I can't find on Internet at all.
>>
>>54154095
Everything you do is a skill. Climbing a rock uses the climb skill. Attacking someone uses the weapon skill you want to use. Dodging an attack uses the dodge skill or the jump skill. Only thing that isn't directly done with a skill is spirit magic, which is done with one of your attributes.
>>
>>54154305
>>54154421
>>54154504
Thanks for the responses. I still have trouble grasping it though. Old school D&D also isn't about fighting and figuring out how to get around combat, but those games have extensive rules for how dungeon crawling, monsters and resource management works. The rules here seems more like "here's some rules, the sky's the limit" which to me only serves to make the game less focused. Could you give an example of a very "Runequest" situation, so that I can distinguish it more?
>>
The d100-mechanics are just mechanics for when you need mechanics. They don't do anything on their own, they're just supposed to back up the setting and the action when they have to. They'll tell you the effectiveness of carried light sources, when they run out, how fast you move, how much loot you can carry, how much you eat and what happens if you get the sniffles. The game won't tell a GM to use these, it will assume that a GM will use it as seen fit.
The old saying YRQMV - your RQ may vary is a saying for a reason. Every group will do some things differently from another, even when playing RAW.
>>
>>54156855
>They'll tell you the effectiveness of carried light sources, when they run out, how fast you move, how much loot you can carry, how much you eat and what happens if you get the sniffles
I'm really confused. How does that connect to a percentage roll?
>>
>>54156112
I haven't played it, but I've heard the Broken Tower scenario included in the quickstart is a good example.

In general I'd say a good Glorantha adventure involves at least some of the following:

>conflict between clans/tribes/cultures
>heroic deeds that bring wealth and fame
>mysticism centered on spirits and runes
>heavy emphasis on worshipping the gods and learning from their wisdom, including heroquesting (replicating the deeds of the gods for power/gifts/insight)
>finding mythic treasures
>some kind of external threat to your homeland, be it another civilization or something else (i.e. chaos) that you struggle against

Major themes are community, worship and magic.

>>54157028
>How does that connect to a percentage roll?
How well did you roll? Okay, that's how well you did.
>>
>>54157107
>How well did you roll? Okay, that's how well you did.
So I can fail a roll to carry one day and not be able carry a pound one day, but succeed really well on a roll and carry 500 pound the next day?
Do I roll to check how much I need to eat every day? Does succeeding mean I eat less?
etc etc
>>
>>54157497
Don't be ridiculous.
>>
>>54157497
Lets say you can carry 50 lbs without being unduly encumbered. Then you pick up 75 lbs and need to leg it before the owner of said 75 lbs finds out that he no longer has possession of those 75 lbs.
Depending on editions, one roll to see how well you hastily heft your load, one roll to see how far you can run before you're out of stamina, and if you like, one roll to see where the hernia pops out.
>>
>>54157585
I'm legitimately asking, although I'm intentionally a bit extreme. Is this the way it works?

>>54157616
I see. I personally find that that sounds a bit too chaotic. I think players need to be able to choose between solving problems through risk or through established constants. If everything has a percentage of failing, I'd feel like it would lead to a lot of hesitation.
>>
>>54157729
You can probably carry a pretty heavy weight in a backpack fairly comfortably. If that same weight was not in a well-adjusted backpack, and you had to pick it up and run or else someone would shoot you with a paintball gun, your chances of dropping it, stumbling and falling along the way. and crossing the finish line exhausted would be significantly bigger, don't you think?
>>
>>54157729
All right. So if your skill is 60 and you roll under, you succeed at whatever you were trying to do, as long as the GM has not applied a difficulty modifier that reduced your skill level. If you roll 12 or less, you qualify for a special success if one is applicable, and if you roll 3 or less you get a critical. You fumble on a 99 or 100.

The categories are really no different from how D&D handles things. For the most part, though, your GM should just be saying "yes you can" or "no you can't", as actual rolls are only called for when under stress.
>>
>>54156112
A lot of what 54157107 said. Also we should wait for the PHB to come out before we get a sense of purpose (at least; there's also a bestiary and a dm's book on the way next year).

Very "Runequest" situations: for one, the game will use a system of seasons/days that can foster various time-sensitive scenarios, things you might not encounter in other games (if your DM keeps track of them). Gloranthan winters produce different threats than summers, etc.; magic works better and worse depending on day and even location. If anyone in a party is a member of a particular cult/religion, they need to observe on feast days, follow special guidelines in combat, etc....and potentially face quest-defining crises along the way. I recall reading somewhere, for instance, that servants of Chalana Arroy may not kill, while Brithini need to follow strict codes to retain their immortality: restrictions like these can make for new, interesting challenges. Passions also leave plenty of room for roleplaying outside of questing<->dungeons<->progression.

The most promising areas of the QS, for me, are the ones on magic skills (page 12): "Meditation," "Prepare Corpse," "Spirit Combat, and "Worship." Just here, I can think of potential for fun/immersive gaming problems: imagine a questline built around an unsuccessful burial and its consequences, or encounters between the spirit world and "our" world.

To me, it would be just fine if RQ:G turned out to be "D&D, But More Spiritual." Games have succeeded with much less on offer than this.
>>
>>54157813
I guess I'm just not that fond of the simulationist mindset. I can see why people like it though.

>>54157849
>For the most part, though, your GM should just be saying "yes you can" or "no you can't", as actual rolls are only called for when under stress.
Alright, that explains things a bit. Still, I assume that you, for example, roll when traveling to see how far you travel. Does that count as a stressful situation too?

>>54157886
Interesting. So I assume that sessions generally more chill than what the action-packed covers suggest?
>>
What would a Glorantha meme looks like?
>>
>>54157963
I would only make my players roll to see how far they traveled when drama would be created by doing so.

For instance, if they are traveling from their clan village to the tribal city, I would simply use the rate listed on the book: something like one mile an hour over rough terrain.

I would have them roll if they were traversing a dangerous area, such as a narrow pass or high cliff, or if they were fleeing pursuit.
>>
>>54158143
I see. The mechanics make a bit more sense to me now.
>>
>>54157963
>Interesting. So I assume that sessions generally more chill than what the action-packed covers suggest?

Correct. The game explicitly warns you against treating it as a hack and slash.

>>54158030
Nysalor and Gbaji is probably our most common meme.
>>
What is the difference between a Spirit and a God?
I guess a God magic is like the one of a super theist initiate but are Great Spirits like Kolat just gods who give spirits to shaman or are they like super shamans?
>>
>>54159566
A matter of Runic power.

Spirits are just powerful, Gods have a rune or series of runes as part of their being.

Spirits can becomes gods just like mortals, but it's just as hard and dangerous.
>>
>>54159566
Gods are spirits who receive worship.

A spirit can become a god, but is trapped in doing so.
>>
>>54145773
>>54145748
You should checkout Heroquest: Glorantha. http://www.chaosium.com/heroquest-glorantha/
>>
>>54159837
Doesn't Kolat have two Runes though? Storm and Spirit?
>>
>>54160969
Kolat lacks the Mastery Rune which marks gods.
>>
>>54160693
I've thought about it but it seems a little too fiddly for the kind of systems I usually like. Narrative focus, but lots of rules about how to be narrative focused. Haven't read it yet but that's my first impression.
>>
>>54160979
Dude. You're pulling stuff out of your ass right now.
>>
>>54160979
Plenty of gods don't have a mastery rune.
>>
bumping for Joy
>>
>>54159566
Pretty much the former.

You can class Kolat (also known as Umbrol, or King Sylph) as the god of lesser air spirits.
>>
>>54158030
Ducks
>>
>>54162010
I've only ran it twice, but most of the fiddly bits are advice. Like "If you don't know what the difficulty should be, here's a good way to make one up."

There are some fiddly bits about injuries vs dying and I know some people don't like extended contests. It's not for everyone, but I'd really like to get more details about your opinion because I don't know why (ignorance, not claiming it's the best system).
>>
File: 1470818901924.jpg (15KB, 307x462px) Image search: [Google]
1470818901924.jpg
15KB, 307x462px
>first the fuckery with publishers
>6 isn't really 6, it's 4, but it's actually 6
>now there's Myhtras too, which is RQ6.1 but not really

I was looking to start a RQ game but this is confusing to say the least. Do I just go with Mythras or what?
>>
>>54165528
You got it wrong. It is 7 that isn't really 7, but 4, but it's actually 4a or 8. 3 is actually 3, and 7 is really 2.

Just go with Mythras.
>>
>>54165564
You didn't even asked him if he wanted a generic system or one for Glorantha.
>>
>>54159566
Not a Glorantha scholar but my impression is that a god embodies a Rune while spirits are merely described by runes.
>>
>>54165564
Not the best advice desu senpai
>>
>>54165955
Pamalt is a Rune Owner and a Spirit though.
>>
>>54165589
Generic would be great as I'm running it on my own stuff, but the RQ6 rules seemed pretty "free" so wouldn't be much of a problem to apply them to another setting.

>>54165564
>>54166076
Now I'm even more confused but I guess I'll just go read the quickstart thingy.
>>
>>54166166
>Generic would be great as I'm running it on my own stuff, but the RQ6 rules seemed pretty "free" so wouldn't be much of a problem to apply them to another setting.
The latest Mythras would be fine then.
>>
Glorantha always fascinated me, I despise bronze age during the time I was in college (archaeology b,a, , classics m.a., history phd hopefully in 2 years) I dont like myths either, grudingly reading Joseph Campbells work for my essays. But sitll

I like how old and established it is, it is one of the few long time / big settings that are not raped by corporations, I always imagined how FR would have looked like if Ed Greenwood worked with an indie dev rather than the professional butchers of TSR-WOTC

I bough the glorantha encylopedia but boy im overwhelmed, will check out other reccomendations ITT
>>
>>54166327
Best advice with the Guide is to pick a place that interests you and read about it. As you do, you'll naturally encounter other new topics that will intrigue you, and you can read about them in turn.
>>
>>54166568
>>54166327
Completely Concur. I read the parts about pavis first and only after I felt comfortable with my knowledge about it started reading about other regions.
>>
>>54166124
There will always be exceptions, but I think that's the general rule, isn't it? If I recall Humakt is considered a foreigner but Orlanth allows him on the Ring.
>>
File: 1425123801126.jpg (707KB, 2495x1751px) Image search: [Google]
1425123801126.jpg
707KB, 2495x1751px
>>54166327
The old RQ2/3 (and hopefully RQ7) supplements and the Gloranthan Classics were all designed to be played. They're a good starting point unless make-believe anthropology is your thing.
>>
>>54166819
>If I recall Humakt is considered a foreigner but Orlanth allows him on the Ring.
IIRC he exiled himself to become an outsider. Either that or he's a kinslayer, I don't really remember.

Either way I think it's neat that for the Ducks the Orlanthi pantheon are all ducks except Humakt is a human with a fake duck bill.
>>
>>54166819
>>54166911
Humakt was Orlanth's brother until he cut ties to him with Death. Orlanth was attempting to use his family status to order Humakt to give him Death to use as a weapon, but Humakt wished to see it used wisely and not frivolously, and so he cut all ties to the Storm Tribe in order to preserve his honor.
>>
File: what did they mean by this.png (285KB, 500x283px) Image search: [Google]
what did they mean by this.png
285KB, 500x283px
>>
>>54167344
..ehm..
>>
>>54167699
>>54167344
I think I see Kero Fin and Yinkin on the right!
>>
File: file.png (392KB, 736x524px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
392KB, 736x524px
>Reminder that Humakt is the Sword and also a darkness god, the son of Subere and Dehore
>>
>>54167959
>Futhermore he is the father of Babeester Gor, who was born from her mother Ernalda while she was dead.

Humakt is death, also it happened during the time of Chaos, when the boundaries between life and death were blurred.

So it was an act of Chaos and that's why Humakt is worshiped by Broos.
>>
>>54167959
He's the son of Umath and Subere.
Dehore is one of the Evil Uncles
>>54168059
Death was one of the guarded secrets of the Underworld and was not meant to be unleashed but Death was still one of the eight powers of the Celestial Court as Kargan Tor.
>>
>>54168472
Also interrestingly enough, Ana Gor (who has an aspect known as Sorana Tor) was born when the blood of the first being killed fell on the earth 1nd basically claim to have briefly been the owner of Death before the Storm Pantheon fought her and Humakt stole most of it before killing her. (Altough she was brought back as a lesser being with the first human sacrifice)
>>
>>54168472
People also say that Kargan Tor was merely conflict, and it was only when Humakt stole the true Death from Eurmal that it became a part of the world.
>>
How accurate is King of Dragon Pass to an actual game of RuneQuest? I want that kind of experience of being a community leader.
>>
>>54171635
For my games of Runequest it isn't that accurate. I had a couple of sessions that could be King of Dragon Pass but I also had many sessions that weren't.

One of the things I did was a festival for the rain-god Heler. The PC's were asked to fulfill the role of Heler in this festival.

That was the most KODP thing I did. Most scenario's were travel scenario's or exploration.
>>
>>54171892
This was Runequest 3rd edition
>>
File: Pamaltela Chart.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
Pamaltela Chart.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>54171635
RuneQuest will allow you to play out the cattle raiding quite well. The nitty-gritty of community management is however not its strong suit.
>>
>>54153984
It looks more like that trollkin is getting raped...
>>
>>54172169
Whatt is that giant elephant thing?
>>
>>54167959
What god is that?
>>
>>54171892
>>54172169
Any ideas on games more like that KoDP feel?
>>
>>54175266
Like be about running a small tribe or village?
>>
>>54175266
The new edition of Runequest is very likely to have a significant portion of its rules devoted to the running of a household -- similar to Pendragon. It won't be a village, but it's a start, and I would be surprised if they do not later publish a supplement that expands those rules.
>>
>>54177025
>Glorantha Pendragon
>>
>>54177044
Nice.
Thread posts: 178
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.