[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

AMeribros, I need your help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: hs13528.0.jpg (3MB, 4259x5595px) Image search: [Google]
hs13528.0.jpg
3MB, 4259x5595px
I am running a FATE group and after round 0 and 0.5 it turns out the players are going to be agents for the newly founded EPA in 1964 New Mexico.

Now it seems that their girst adventure will be about a strange compound that can be found in prickly pear cacti growing on the sites of long ago asteroid craters.

Playing in New Mexico I obviously want to include the Navajo or Apache in the stories, but being from Yurop I know very little about them.

Would a federal agency be allowed to investigate on reservation land? How are the USA generally seen by the tribal nations? Any tips regarding their use in such a game?
>>
>>54132403
>running FATE
lol
>>
>>54132469
Epic.
>>
File: eric_herm_small.jpg (92KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
eric_herm_small.jpg
92KB, 800x640px
>>54132469
It served me well in the past. Takes a lot of work off of me as a GM and avoids pitfalls and one-way-streets. Sorry to hear it ain't for you.
>>
>>54132403
Any Federal agency. It's state agencies that can't mess with the tribes. There'll probably be a BIA (Bureau of Indian Affairs) agent or tribal police officer with the party to keep an eye on them, but EPA people on tribal land is perfectly fine.

Strongly recommend reading at least some of Tony Hillerman's Navajo detective novels for background.

Also, the EPA was founded in 1970, so you're probably doing an AU or secret history here. I have no idea who'd be responsible for enforcing environmental laws before then.
>>
File: JFK.jpg (47KB, 695x643px) Image search: [Google]
JFK.jpg
47KB, 695x643px
>>54132403
>>54132403
>How are the USA generally seen by the tribal nations?
I'm sure the Tribes are a little more chill today, but in 1964 the wars to force them off their lands in the West began only a century before. They'd still be pissed about that, and would undoubtedly be resentful towards any Federal agents who aren't immediately helpful to their interests. Tribe leaders will not trust any agreement to provide aid in return for something that will cost the tribe, like quarantining a large area of land, because of the long history of the Federal government in breaking treaties with the natives. That goes triple for sacred areas, though I wouldn't know what those might be.

Also, the Environmental Protection Agency was founded in 1970 under the Nixon Administration. Are you going with an alternate history where environmental concerns in the US became more important to the public over half a decade earlier? If so,odds are President LBJ(Or JFK if Lee Harvey Oswald never got him in this reality) created this version of the EPA. Someone close to him will likely be aware of this mission, as it will reflect significantly on the reputation of the new agency, and will give them quite the ass-blasting if they fuck up.

This campaign is before Watergate, before Vietnam really polarized America, so most people who aren't Natives should have a generally positive opinion of the Federal government in 1964. Have the players use that to their advantage, but remember the Navajo or Apache won't generally share that opinion, unless these Fed agents offer to help them with their own problems
>>
>>54135061
Thanks a lot

Yeah, the EPA in this alternate history has been formed a bit earlier to officially deal with human impact on the environment but inofficially to assess the environemnt for military use in the case of a red invasion / weaponize the environment.

President is LBJ, at least as long as noone spends FATE points.
>>
>>54132403

Reservations are tricky, they have a limited degree of sovereignty and can make treaties but are subject to Federal law, and tend to be fairly remote. In particular the US' treaty with Mexico claiming the southwest guarantees the Navajo borders, which is why their reservation hasn't been as heavily curtailed as most.

Another anon pointed out that the Indian wars are only a century past, but more relevantly the Burea of Indian affairs still existed in the 60s and did a ton of shady shit. One example from a class I took in university was a BIA doctor who told a native american woman that removing her womb was a reversible form of birth control; lots of illegal things went on without punishment, such as kidnapping kids and taking them to Indian schools. Native americans had their own civil rights movement at this time culminating in an occupation of the BIA headquarters in which a lot of documentation of these abuses was stolen and brought to light.

The Navajo also had issues with their sheep herds being targeted under the guise of water and land use regulations, with large herds being slaughtered without compensation.

So Federal agents would be viewed with suspicion, though they might not be openly opposed for fear of retribution. Another issue is reservations can be rather corrupt, since the voter rolls are small and not well educated and any oversight is greatly complicated by a reservations sovereignty, making it easy to set up a political machine. One of the Lakota reservations in one of the Dakotas had issues with this in the 70s, where the whitest residents lived in the only town and monopolized the reservation government's resources at the expense of the rest of the tribe. So that could be another curve ball.
>>
>>54136345
Sounds like my players made the right choice. Corruption, some spicy racism and old mysteries.

Thank you for that in-depth information. Gotta read up on the Bureau of Indian affairs.

I know I can look that up myself, but maybe someone has some more in-depth info on Indians in the army. Did they get drafted? Did they have their own units like african americans?
>>
>>54136756
They didnt get drafted that I know of, but many did join in later years for that sweet sweet VA cheese. Once you've done a tour in the US military you get free healthcare, discounts on everything, and super cheap education and car insurance for you and your children.

While they never had their own segregated units, they did take on special roles as "code talkers" (Nobody knew their indigenous language but them) during the Vietnam and (I believe, maybe) the Korean war.
>>
File: al-pacino.jpg (244KB, 980x1470px) Image search: [Google]
al-pacino.jpg
244KB, 980x1470px
>>54136840
Thanks. I found a movie about that. Time to do "research"
>>
>>54137707
Look up Leonard Peltier.
>>
>>54136840
>Once you've done a tour in the US military you get free healthcare, discounts on everything, and super cheap education and car insurance for you and your children.
That education and healthcare assistance stuff wasn't quite as good in the 1960's, but then higher ed was less difficult to enter as well. Odds are a few of the rougher guys on the reservation will be WW2/Korea veterans.
>>
>>54136840
IIRC the Codetalkers were disbanded and made officially public info after 'Nam.
Damn shame too in my opinion, I don't think shit like that will ever cease to be an advantage.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.