[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much of this do you use in your game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: 4EGSm00.png (294KB, 2560x2500px) Image search: [Google]
4EGSm00.png
294KB, 2560x2500px
How much of this do you use in your game?
>>
>>54115289
It's so christian biaised.
>>
>>54115334
lolwut
>>
>>54115334

That picture? Not remotely. That's pretty much the difference between the laughably pathetic Weaboo we all make fun of compared to a serious student of Japanese culture. It takes work and interaction to get into the latter half even in societies where Christians are very much a minority.

And there are no cultures, Christian or not, which don't have attitudes towards the subjects below, and those attitudes are never trivially simple.

As far as actually incorporating into the campaign, though? Fundamentally it's going to mostly be an internal model of what 'feels right' for that group of people as worked out by the DM. I'm not sure how you'd be able to create a deep culture for a separate people that approaches the complexity of the real world and isn't in some sense based off of your own, although I do include deliberate contrast of your own in 'based on'. Nor would I expect to see much of it as a player.
>>
File: 5eb.jpg (21KB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
5eb.jpg
21KB, 480x600px
>>54115530
>That picture? Not remotely. That's pretty much the difference between the laughably pathetic Weaboo we all make fun of compared to a serious student of Japanese culture.
>>
Issue with this is is applies exclusively to humans and human nature. Alien who differ greatly from humans in terms of instinct and cognition
>>
>>54115692
would not be easily sculpted by this. Pressed post to quickly
>>
>>54115334
Okay, your ass needs to explain yourself right now. The only thing I believe could be interpreted as uniquely "Christian" is sin which admittedly could be reworded to taboos or mores
>>
>>54115569
this post didn't actually refute anything the previous poster said
>>
>>54115569

Japan was an easily grasped example of a culture who has 'fanboys' that are only familiar with the surface qualities, but is also not Christian. When I say 'serious student' I'm specifically speaking academics and on track to be a professor of studies of that culture. I'm not one, but they're the ones to ask about the 'deep culture' part of the diagram.

I spent a few years in Japan- it's hard to actually get into people's heads just from being around them. But focusing on the surface culture, which is what Anime/video games are very correctly binned as, is going to mislead you horribly and you are going to be MORE socially dysfunctional if you attempt to follow them as a guideline to the culture instead of going in basically blind.
>>
>>54115289
All of it. and it freaks people out that I can develop an entire culture for an entire species and society in about 10-30 minutes to degrees where any of the deep culture questions can be answered in short order with explanations and reasoning included.
>>
>>54115779
what this anon said in regard to creating culture
>>54115289
if a question is brought up i can either make a answer or have one
the only key to making a culture for a race is not being a fucktard and spending a entire day actually "planning" if you are not smart enough to realize your players will most likely gloss over or just assume based on information given you are an idiot
plan out only in detail what you are sure of your players going for detail wise
have a good idea in mind and that leads to the answers you need to come up with on the fly if somebody ask a question
and example being
i make a tribe of savage barbarians they are all around pretty chill dudes they are warring with a local war because they find him weak and in reality the guy is a little bitch baby
however the culture of the barbarians is jarring they worship blood god commonly make sacrafices of animals and on special days of their own young all willingly though
With this base idea in mind its not hard to answer a question such as
>Anon do they have any days where they celebrate their culture? like festivals or something?
>yeah they have some days where they all lay down their weapons no fighting and pure peace for a day, a day of entirely feasting and sacrifice to their blood god
>>
>>54115530
>>54115738
You are so boring, dude. It doesn't matter if you're in the "deep culture part of the diagram", you are making it sound sooo boring

I rolled my eyes so hard on you I got one stuck permanently
>>
>>54115289
Totally serious answer: depends on the setting
>>
>>54115289
When I worldbuild, I put some thought into all those categories though I also don't go into too much detail, partly because I don't expect it to come up in games far too often and partly because anthropology isn't my main area of expertise.
>>
>>54115839
>warring with a local war
wow im a idiot
i meant baron or duke or some other land holding title
>>
>>54115692
>>54115701
True, but it does provide a context through which to frame their culture for your audience, who (presumably) are humans and therefore will notice if a fundamental component (for example, courtship) is not explained or is glossed over to the point it can't be reasonably inferred.
>>
>>54115334
>>54115569
Good bait.
>>
>>54115289
Funny thing I mention the things that are supposedly 'deep culture' more often in games than those that are supposed to be on the surface. Especially in adventuring games.

Dances, festivals and so on rarely come up during hunting some demon or trying to rob a dragon. On the other hand gestures, approach to group work, manners and so on come up frequently.
>>
>>54115289
Anything beyond surface elements will go to waste once it hits actual play, there's no point in thinking about it except self-gratification. Often the players will manage to miss even really obvious stuff.
>>
>>54115289
Huh. I do all the deep parts and completely ignore the surface parts. It's surprisingly the harder aspect
>>
>>54116529
I would argue you can convey the deep aspects more easily on a personal interaction level. All the surface stuff requires you immerse PCs in the culture, which is kinda hard while they're murder hoboing around. But it's easy to have them interact with an NPC from the culture, then use them to show off the "deeper" aspects, like ideas of courtesy, body language, accents, religion, death, etc.

Besides, it takes a special breed of autism to sit down and think up 20 food dishes to describe your culture, or to build a whole goddamn language and actually speak it to pcs.
>>
>>54116529
Plenty of those could easily be used in actual play when they visit a foreign culture

>all those things regarding social interaction like friendship, manners, courtship
>societal roles
>relationship with animals
>>
>>54115844
Congrats on contributing nothing to the thread. Maybe you'd be more comfortable in >>/wsg/? I hear they have some fun ylyl threads where you can watch people hurt themselves and make loud noises. Would that be more your speed?
>>
>>54115289

I use the ideas that pic expresses... But culture is more sophisticated than that.

Pop anthropology is worse than even pop psychology and pop economics.
>>
>>54115779
Do you have a technique you use that we could learn?
>>
Awsome picture...a nice framework
>>
>>54115839
That sounds awful. You seem awful at this
>>
File: meemmes.jpg (954KB, 2364x2308px) Image search: [Google]
meemmes.jpg
954KB, 2364x2308px
>>54115289
fixz;d
>>
>>54115779
10-30 minutes sounds impressive, but I can't actually tell until I see the end results.
>>
>>54118024
You know going by the original definition of memes as simply self perpetuating ideas that's actually correct. All cultures at their core are just a set of certain ideas and concepts that seek to spread themselves. Memes are the basis of culture
>>
>>54115726
in fact it confirms it
>>
>>54115738
>I spent a few years in Japan- it's hard to actually get into people's heads just from being around them.
What's most different about their culture experienced face-to-face compared to media?
>>
>>54115726
>>54119651
It's almost as if not every post is antagonistic.
>>
>>
>>54119622
you could say they're the DNA of the soul
>>
>>54115844
And here's another young maggot who's brain's been rotted by the internet.
>>
>>54120729

Socially I think it's rather like the tail-end of Britain's deference society from back in the 20s and 30s.

Another thing you don't get in the Anglophone world is the old Shinto-Buddhist idea of 'pollution', which covers both physical and spiritual senses and often makes them one and the same. An example of it in play recently was how people from Fukushima who got radiation sickness after that reactor accident were shunned by some old-school Japs because they saw radiation sickness as 'pollution'. I guarantee you you won't see that shit in anime.
>>
>>54124968

sad but true. it was the same for survivors of the atomic bomb droppings. anyone who got sick from radiation sickness was seen as less than human for being affected by it.

its the same reason certain illnesses aren't acknowledged by the Japanese medical society, and why people with naturally formed deformities are seen as a burden and not mentioned in "polite society". both sets of people are, by older and more traditional generations at least, seen as "impure" and are treated similarly to how lepers were.

that something you won't get from anime.
>>
File: gross.jpg (5KB, 251x251px) Image search: [Google]
gross.jpg
5KB, 251x251px
>Social constructionists
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.