[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Weekend Fallout thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 80

File: Tribal_PA_helmet.jpg (230KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Tribal_PA_helmet.jpg
230KB, 640x480px
https://www.dropbox.com/s/piljepe7l3wcd4c/Fallout%20The%20Big%20Apple%20Wasteland.pdf?dl=0
http://www.mediafire.com/file/779ocuy1quxa7qb/Fallout+PnP+Complete+Kit.zip
https://www.mediafire.com/?jpk043dwnhsf60i
>>
Post good songs that fit Fallout but aren't on the soundtrack.

I'll start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caBRGOoJrWM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi5q3Gq6UhI
>>
File: Beta_Software.png (26KB, 360x310px) Image search: [Google]
Beta_Software.png
26KB, 360x310px
Here are some free open source downloads of Fallout 1.

Haven't actually tried to see if they work, but are at least probably safe to download.

https://archive.org/details/Fallout_201704
https://archive.org/details/msdos_Fallout_1997
>>
>>54108144
https://youtu.be/3BTXbidjWrw
https://youtu.be/I6JZW7zMDfY
https://youtu.be/95ZtvgeTXxg
https://youtu.be/AsbHxP4LuGo

From a playlist for a fallout 4 mod I'm planning.
>>
File: Deathclaw_d20.jpg (27KB, 394x480px) Image search: [Google]
Deathclaw_d20.jpg
27KB, 394x480px
Having a game of all Deathclaws, trying to build a Jacobstown type place for intelligent Claws. Advice for us to make it work?
As well, I can describe the party:
-Our charismatic leader, who learned to read from Chinese propaganda and spec ops manuals
-The Warmaster, who's invested into all melee damage
-Me, who's trying to be an old deathclaw that wants his territory respected as elder.
-The 'umie, who acts as our mediator towards human settlements.
>>
>>54110437
That is... pretty interesting.
>>
>>54108144
Everything by Sinatra and most things by Elvis, many, MANY songs by/covered by Ray Charles.

"I Can't Stop Loving You." Is nearly *Perfect* Fallout about living in old memories, double meaning of course being not just a lost love, but the pre-war world.
>>
File: Deathclaw-attack-fox.jpg (117KB, 600x875px) Image search: [Google]
Deathclaw-attack-fox.jpg
117KB, 600x875px
>>54110437
Deathclaws run together in packs, even the intelligent ones.

Try playing with that.

Maybe have a settlement formed by an alpha deathclaw that was ousted by a younger deathclaw, like lions do.

Jacobstown was sort of a support group for all the mutants after The Master died. Maybe make a similar sort of town for all the Deathclaws that were experimented on by the Enclave?
>>
File: 377160_20170630194952_1.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
377160_20170630194952_1.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
Have a bump, fellow survivors.
>>
File: fow.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
fow.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>54106784
I don't know if there's much interest in this, but back when Fallout Tactics came out there was a special edition pre order cd that came with rules for playing a tabletop miniatures game with printable paper miniatures called Fallout Warfare.

It took me a little while to find it, but its an interesting little gem. Everything uses a D10 roll-under system where your SPECIAL stat is what you're trying to roll under.

I have the files for all the factions and the vehicles sheet, if people are interested.
>>
File: 1452872873925.png (70KB, 450x289px) Image search: [Google]
1452872873925.png
70KB, 450x289px
So the Fallout threads just became a weekend general? That's cool.

How common can energy weapons be in the Wasteland? The van Graffs somehow had enough energy weapons to sell to Fiends, but it wasn't ever explained how they produced them or otherwise got so many.
>>
File: 1488693860979.jpg (142KB, 795x452px) Image search: [Google]
1488693860979.jpg
142KB, 795x452px
>>
File: Untitled-2.png (691KB, 1728x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.png
691KB, 1728x1080px
What model\texture would you like to see in a F4 mod? As far as I see on the Nexus, there's currently not much of actually bulky power armors. Also been thinking about something from Shadowrun arms.
>>
>>54116778
Theoretically there ought to be tons at US army bases. Additionally, most of the Old World USA was high tech, so presumably parts to repair weapons or create improvised new ones should be feasible for someone with the technical know how. That technical knowledge is likely the key to the Van Graffs business, and selling to the fiends allows them to buy parts scavenged from the wasteland without having to worry about raiders. Cause who's gonna raid the fiends?
>>
>>54119784
there's a few, tumba and that mad jap who made the mutant dolphin enemy mod have done some.
Speaking of which, i'd be fully in favour of said killer dolphins as a canon enemy, maybe trained military ones fucked up on FEV?
>>
File: C_O6Z0DV0AACOPv.jpg (36KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
C_O6Z0DV0AACOPv.jpg
36KB, 600x600px
>>54120397
This one? http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16915/?
>>
>>54116198
Fallout Warfare is included with Tactics if you get it from GOG.
>>
Something I really like about Fallout as a setting is that it's not just a post-apoc setting - it's a setting where all this new stuff is coming into its own. NV did a real good job of making you question if you wanted the old world back, or wanted this new one to struggle and grow.
>>
>>54106784
What's the state of San Francisco by the end of Fallout 2? Wanted to run a semi lore friendly campaign in the bay
>>
>>54121529
There's no official lore on the subject - it's not mentioned in later games. For all we know, it exists exactly as it was left in Fallout 2.

You could have fun playing with the idea of a more expansionistic NCR trying to exert their influence over San Francisco as a potential seaport, though - helping them connect with other territories, or supporting the ranger mission to Baja. Maybe it becomes a place of refuge for those not exactly friendly with the NCR, like Enclave remnants or criminals, or businesses that haven't done well under the NCR's government.
>>
>>54121902
Thanks, that's about what I thought
As a follow up question, how big of a region do you usually prepare before a campaign?
>>
>>54108144
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XxYwWg7F8I
>>
>>
File: 1498039663296.png (5MB, 2850x1015px) Image search: [Google]
1498039663296.png
5MB, 2850x1015px
What's an area of the US that you never see brought up in Fallout, but you really wish you could see?
>>
File: Project_V13_concept_art.jpg (423KB, 1000x598px) Image search: [Google]
Project_V13_concept_art.jpg
423KB, 1000x598px
>>54123905

Being from the Midwest, I want to know what's happening in Michigan. There's a lot of potential there. You've got Detroit, which apparently became a wartime production powerhouse in the 21st Century and could be a key industrial center in the post-war world, the Great Lakes themselves, which are filled with vital fresh water for new civilizations, and it's sandwiched between the two (relatively) canon civilizations of BoS-held Chicago and (Tor)Ronto. That's all great potential fodder for narrative and worldbuilding.
>>
>>54106784
anyone got a D100 fallout system for me to pick up, i've been looking form one recently, only started my search and I saw this thread, mind spoonfeeding me with something that works mechanically soundly?
>>
I'm gonna put my fallout gog files into a 7zip and upload it to mega for you nerds.

not at my computer now tho.
>>
>>54116778
one of the things that made the USA special as opposed to generic mad-max shit was the ubiquity of high tech stuff.

If bethesda weren't so lazy and clueless there'd be fusion/fission powered cars all over the place. Instead we're seeing raiders making powered armor which is 100x more complicated than making a fucking car.

anyways they'd be present on military bases but plasma weapons were originally repurposed industrial tools and lasers had a tendency of succumbing to the elements so you'd need to cobble something together.
>>
File: Fallout RPG.pdf (6MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Fallout RPG.pdf
6MB, 1x1px
>>54124681
I haven't actually tried them myself, but two anons were working on an RPG:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-Fgo8uM9IArOHd5ZkQ2V0hNSVk?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TszvB-8WOJt7TU_lZ-Bjuqs9Y0aZVoFjYo-Sb4qdKVo/edit?usp=sharing

If nothing else, there's always PDF related. Old and a bit outdated and clunky, but it should work.
>>
>>54124892
>fusion/fission powered cars all over the place

Debatable. Depending on the source, fusion varying degrees of common/uncommon in America before the bombs fell. That's the whole point, really.
>>
>>54124959
nah see, fallout isn't Post-Apocalyptic, its Post-Post-Apocalyptic, its about rebuilding and making the same old mistakes.

'War Never Changes.'

should be pockets of that uber tech being maintained and used at least.

And christ despite bethesda's obsession with arid wastelands there should be plenty of forests around for wood, alcohol is easy to make, coal should be around.

Plenty of sources of energy for cars.

Oh and Fusion was a military tech transitioning into civilian use. So it would probably be common in urban areas.
>>
>>54124681
>>54124950
This pdf along with other materials is literally in the link in the OP, the "Fallout Complete Kit."
>>
>>54125013
I assumed that a lot of the trees you see in fallout 4 are still alive, its just the game takes place in october so its fall. Would explain why theres so many leaves everywhere even though its been 200 years.
>>
>>54126200
its lazy as shit though, as usual everything is a dirty mess save for a handful of locations. There's no greenery, no grass, no flowers... Go look at chernobyl, its been only a few decades and the place is a nature reserve. They're aping FO1 because they're designing from a formula.

and FO1 was a barren shithole because most of it takes place in the arid regions of california.
>>
>>54121529
In the best ending, they create a radiation absorbing vine and become a major power in the area.

The Hubologists seem to die no matter what you do.
>>
Info compiled on Modiphius' Fallout Wasteland Warfare here
https://toneytower.wordpress.com/
>>
File: 1453696038449.jpg (319KB, 706x736px) Image search: [Google]
1453696038449.jpg
319KB, 706x736px
What are some good ideas for tribal factions that wouldn't be out of place most anywhere in the Fallout setting? As in, not tied to a specific spot by their history. Raider groups are useful as well.
>>
Ran a game of Fallout last night using the Guns and Ammo book. Setting is Arizona, post-Legion's demise, about a year later.

I've been enjoying the hell out of fleshing out the setting. Last night they tied up combat with two giant mutant gila monsters, finished traveling with their caravan into an outpost along the old highway 85, then got paid for their troubles and hit up the bar.

Inside they found a Legionaire screaming at a desert ranger about how "Caesar's Legacy will rise," a notion and person that everyone present dismissed, the ranger ballsily so as he stared down the gladius in his face. The Legionaire stormed off, nobody having shot in the no-fire zone of the 85.

Then two of the party sit down to chat with the ranger while the third gambles with some tough-looking customers on a game of texas hold'em. The two and the ranger talk about the ranger's purpose being this far from NCR territory on his own - he's apparently tracking down a serial killer called the Queen of Hearts, a killer who cuts her victims up, puts them on display, and shoves the card of her namesake into their mouths.

At about the same time the session was ending and the dialogue with the ranger about the Queen came to a conclusion, the gambling player rolled really well on his Gambling skill (he's playing a 12 Luck ghoul, which is always hilarious). Finishing up with a crit and another good roll, I declare his winning hand none other than a royal flush - with the card making his hand being a queen of hearts.

I love thematic tie-ins. It's so fun to string the two separate parts of the party together with one theme like that.
>>
>>54129015
It's a little bit on the nose, but it came up so well in the moment that even if it were less subtle it'd be hard to mind.

Love the fact that you're taking a chance to sit down and let things breathe a little, get a feel for the setting. The Legionnaire isn't just a quest-hook waiting to happen, though Caeser's Legacy could show up later.
>>
File: 1449613136456.jpg (227KB, 498x748px) Image search: [Google]
1449613136456.jpg
227KB, 498x748px
>>
>>54120560
Nah, this mad fucker
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22823/?
this is the armour he made incidentally
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18315/?
>>
File: VB_DD06_npc_Daughter_of_Hecate.jpg (411KB, 1920x1281px) Image search: [Google]
VB_DD06_npc_Daughter_of_Hecate.jpg
411KB, 1920x1281px
>>54128083
A lot of tribals, both peaceful and raiders, are named after plants or animals.

It wouldn't be hard to whip up some generic primitives or raiders named after them.
>>
>>54129697
That's about the idea I was going for, really. I'm trying to make the world a sandbox and give the three characters who don't really have much purpose or reason to be together (a Samurai Champloo-inspired hiphop melee girl wanting to share her fresh beats with the wastes, a fresh-from-a-vault guy with a pompadour wig turned ghoul after a fusion core incident, and a hunter-sniper runaway girl from a gang of human-hunting hunters) something they can unify against or work together towards, while still keeping each character as separate individuals so they don't just become "the party."

I throw a few baits out, let things tie together naturally, and let them pick and choose how they'll continue and approach things. I'm not looking to shoestring them along with THIS MAN FROM THE LEGION IS EVIL AND YOU CAN FOLLOW HIM HOME TO SLAUGHTER HIS CAMP AND GET NCR CRED quests or anything like that. The Legionnaire at the bar was really more as a setting of tone and pace and a small hint of things to come or that already exist which they can bump into if they take a wrong turn. My reasoning for him being there at all was that he was on the street preaching the word of the Caesar's Legacy with regard to the no-fire zone keeping him from getting lynched, before spotting, following, and angrily preaching to the ranger, so it's not like he was just /there/ either. He had a reason to be there, and that's how I'm gonna try and run the entire game.

I've already got a map on Roll20 of Arizona, stretched to scale with squares and measurements as accurate as I possibly could, and am running travel and random encounters like the classic Fallouts too. I've plotted some locations on the map already and thrown together ideas for what's gonna go down.

I'm excited for the clash between the squabbling Legion remains, the NCR, the western Brotherhood, and the midwestern Brotherhood from Tactics (which we've stretched canon a bit to make work), plus whatever Arizonan people put together
>>
File: YoYja6W.jpg (231KB, 1644x966px) Image search: [Google]
YoYja6W.jpg
231KB, 1644x966px
Asian robot, possibly inspired by.
>>
Is Jet pre or post war

is X-01 pre or post war?

Are aliens canon?
>>
>>54134290
Jet's post war. Invented by a creepy little shit in Fallout 2 named Myron. It's made with Brahmin shit.
>>
>>54134290
>is X-01 pre or post war?
Post war
>Are aliens canon?
No.
>>
>>54134290
X-01 or more appropiately named 'The Advanced Mk1 and 2'' is post war and developed by the enclave.

Jet is a product of brahmin mutations caused by genetically engineered feed stock, in short their shit contains amphetimine fumes and when processed you get a powerful extremely addictive drug.
>>
>>54134538
>>54134536
>>54134480
>>54134290
So, yeah... Don't listen to Bethesda.
>>
>>54134536
Aliens are canon now.

>>54134480
There was prewar jet. The explanation is that all the ambient radioactivity in prewar america subtly mutated the cows and allowed for jet production.
>>
>>54134599
Fuck Mothership Zeta
>>
>>54134599
there is no Prewar jet. This was laid out in Fallout 2. Myron created Jet for the Mordino family resulting in the death of at least one hundred slaves.

Radioactivity is in no way, shape, or form responsible for Jet.

https://mega.nz/#!gjIVQahB!LJV4dfPcibNyTP2FM2jRLYbBuNp-0kOudxD3ChGN7gU

also have Fallout 1 to Tactics.
>>
>>54135148
But this isn't true anymore.

Myron claimed to have made it, but there are records of it existing already.

And radioactivity is indirectly responsible, since it's the brahmin, not cows, that make the ingredients. It's related to mutations as a result of radioactivity that happen in cows.
>>
>>54135416
Bethesda's works bluntly contradict west coast canon. West Canon is superior to east coast canon by virtue of not being an incoherent self contradictory mess.

Myron invented Jet. Jet is a product of cow shit. Brahmin are cows.

No amount of wheedling changes this simple fact, there are no trustworthy prewar records of its existence and any claim otherwise is spurious bullshit.
>>
>>54135468
you not liking bethesda doesn't change what is or isn't canon. Spreading false information in discussions among people who want to learn about fallout because you dislike some parts of the lore is a disservice and irresponsible.
>>
>>54135416
>but there are records of it existing already
Where?
>>
>>54135526
He is in no way wrong. Bethesda's canon is fucking atrocious and should be discarded in cases where it contradicts the original games.
>>
>>54135726
He is absolutely, factually incorrect. Disagreeing with the people who write fallout's canon makes you wrong. It's like if Tolkien said Aragorn was gay. It doesn't matter if you think it's dumb.

Bethesda calls the shots, and they've made changes including the frequency of aliens, when jet first showed up, and when some power armor models were designed. Among other things.

I felt what you're currently feeling when star wars had their change of hands. Boba Fett didn't jump out of the sarlacc pit anymore and Han and him never had adventures together when they were both old men. and I think that's dumb. But if I post on the internet disagreeing I don't get to change it.
>>
>>54135829
Not factually, actually. It's your opinion that just because Bethesda is running things right now that their changes to established canon are somehow more valid than the original canon created by the creators and original writers. As far as I'm aware there's no rule saying that everybody has to consider the most recent version of the canon the most valid one.
>>
>>54135829
>Boba Fett didn't jump out of the sarlacc pit anymore
> on July 16, 2014, Star Wars author and historian Jonathan W. Rinzler stated in a Reddit AMA that Lucas has said that Boba also survived the sarlacc in the new canon
>>
>>54136068
It's not an opinion. When a member of Bethesda Game Studios lore management team says something, it's true.

If Obsidian contradicts it, they are also wrong. Because they don't own the rights to the franchise. Bethesda does.

Bethesda has said that they'll leave the west coast alone and that the stuff Obsidian wrote can be true for that region and that they won't mess with it, but that when it does directly contradict something that does affect both coasts, such as the existence of aliens, when jet was first produced, and when the X-01 was designed, that the new stuff takes precedent. The stuff written by the people who own the IP.

If I write a book, and then sell the rights to someone and they change all my characters as being gay, guess who's right?

It's so funny to me that you're sticking your head in the sand and ignoring reality, and then you say that I'm the opinionated one.
>>
File: apekek.jpg (153KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
apekek.jpg
153KB, 640x480px
>>54135829
Hah. No. Bethesda's canon is shit for the most part and I'm allowed to completely disregard it.
>>
>>54116778
With the Gunrunners doing shit in the West it's no surprise that high quality weaponry, both energy and not, are common. I imagine that Gun Runner weaponry would be in better condition generally due to being freshly manufactured.
>>
>>54136732
of course you're "allowed" to, you can do whatever you want.

You can just be wrong while doing so.
>>
>>54134599
Aliens have only ever been treated as a canonical thing in Fallout 3 and 4. And judging by what I know of what 4 has to say, I just want to ignore them and start screaming if they're ever mentioned again. Seriously, fuck Bethesda on that point. Aliens should not be the cause of everything, secretly manipulating humans for generations, with large underground bases in various parts of the world.
>>
>>54135717
In Vault City it mentions some guy's wife being addicted to jet before its invention. However the creators mentioned this and said it was a mistake.
>>
>>54136784
You're only technically correct.
>>
>>54134637
There are multiple aliens in Fallout 2.
>>
>>54136859
>A mistake
More like denied it like a bunch of angry manchildren when their blatant incorrectness was pointed out

http://wccftech.com/bethesdas-pete-hines-infuriates-fallout-4-fans-not-interested-in-discussing-how-realistic-things-are/
>>
>>54136859
oh wait you said Vault City, ignore my Fallout 4 butthate
>>
>>54136461
That's like saying Conan's Crossover with the Paizo universes are cannon when the only ones that are True Canon are the works of RE Howard
>>
Has anyone heard if the Fallout: Wasteland Warfare demo passed Bethesda's Scrutiny?
>>
How did the Three Families civilize up so fast? Before House found them, they were a bunch of tribes, but they only joined up with him maybe a decade ago. I know the game has them have a lot of tribal loyalties and old practices under the surface, but the level that they've managed to get to is still remarkable. If I went back in time and forced a Native American tribe or an African clan to run a modern city and wear modern clothes, I doubt they'd manage it as well.
>>
>>54136461
Show me the rule that dictates what interpretations of canon are more valid than others. It's all opinions, man. I seriously want you to show me where it is factually, 100% irrefutably stated that the most recent version of the canon is the only "right" one.
>>
>>54139500
Not all tribals are primitives. The Families were probably closer to the Boomers than the Zion tribes in terms of culture and technology, which explains how they adapted so fast to their new lives.
>>
>>54140370
Now I'm curious on what makes someone tribal in terms of Fallout, if not a certain level of civilization.
>>
>>54141220
We talked about this a bit last thread. The "a tribe is a family of families" bit mentioned by Joshua seems to be most appropriate.
>>
>>54118222
If he were a fallout 4 protectoron I'd be worried for them.
>>
File: Cantara Loop.png (1MB, 1000x770px) Image search: [Google]
Cantara Loop.png
1MB, 1000x770px
>>54128083
I'm adapting the Iron Lines for my setting. Railbound nomads is a cliche, but it does mean that they can crop up anywhere and be reasonably easy to find if the party chooses to go looking for them. Just walk between junctions, depots and other notable structures along the way, assuming they aren't parked in those places.
>>
File: Queen_of_dominatrix_420.jpg (219KB, 556x600px) Image search: [Google]
Queen_of_dominatrix_420.jpg
219KB, 556x600px
was fallout 4 bad?
>>
File: V13_Snow_City.jpg (85KB, 1018x727px) Image search: [Google]
V13_Snow_City.jpg
85KB, 1018x727px
>>54123905
Seattle.
I really want too know if the Fallout Online lore is still canon given the death of the game.
>>
>>54142390
Yes. It's an outstandingly bad one, even.

That's not to say the game doesn't have good points. The gunplay is relatively smooth and you can have a lot of fun fucking around with the game.

But from an objective level, the game is pretty crap, from the story to the characters to the buggy-ass game engine, to the complete lack of effort that the devs put into world.
>>
>>54142390
https://pastebin.com/gfUz5Bf5

Have about 3500 words of complaints about Fallout 4 from my gf as she was playing through it.
>>
>>54142545
>gf
>>
File: angels have wings.jpg (673KB, 1280x1734px) Image search: [Google]
angels have wings.jpg
673KB, 1280x1734px
>>54128083
>>54131640
I'll throw a few out:
>Iron Dogs
>Black Flowers
>Rain Bringers
>White Flies
>Wandering Crows
>Light-Step-People
>Maggot Mouths
>River Drinkers
>Ruin Bats
>Gun-smoke-eaters
>Curved Knives
>Bark Rats
>Singing Scorpions
>Grey Oaks
>>
>>54142390
Yes.
As much as I desperately want too like it, I simply can't.

It's a fucking roleplaying game where you can't play who you want too, and it doesn't even have the decency too give you an interesting avatar. Concerned parent #29 is not interesting.
>>
>>54142390
Undoubtedly. I still had some fun with it though.
>>
>>54142632
Fallout 4 isn't even an RPG to me. It takes more than leveling up and perks and Quests to make an RPG. It's a shooter with light RPG elements. Only one step closer to being an RPG than Far Cry 4 was. You have a very defined background, severely limited and simple voiced dialogue options that more often than not are meaningless, and there's no karma or even reputation in the game which I feel would have helped IMMENSELY given the faction conflict.
>>
>>54129015
So who's running Vegas in your World? Did the NCR take over? An independent courier? Or are you leaving it ambiguous beyond "The Legion lost"?
>>
>>54142832
I'm leaning the Courier if only because I'd love to have an "oh shit" moment where they actually get to meet /the/ Courier if things escalate to that level, but I think I'll probably keep it vague for now and just leave it at "the NCR is still around, the Legion isn't." Worst case, I'll default to NCR victory, since that's the only ending I've ever personally concluded playing through for NV. The idea of an independent Vegas is definitely appealing though, if only to slap one more faction in the fires of the upcoming turf war for Arizona.
>>
>>54142789
How do you feel about Mass Effect?
>>
>>54143133
I never got into it. Tried to play the first one, but it was very boring to me. Nothing I've seen of it since has convinced me to give it another chance.
>>
>>54142390
concensus i thought was that it is a decent game...but a bad fallout game.
>>
>>54142622
did you see those raiders from Toronto? they had curved knives...CURVED knives.
>>
>>54142390
>Pros of fallout 4
decent gunplay
Improved character creator
some nice AI tweaks

>Cons
The game is bluntly a mass effect clone and a bad one. You have two avatars to choose from, one is nonsensically adept at combat thanks to a last minute lore change. The other is fairly stereotypical in terms of main characters..

All preceeding Falllouts up to and including Bethesdsa's own 3 had a blank slate avatar, though three did waste money hiring Liam fucking neeson for a character who commits suicide halfway through but lets not retread ground here. The MC of Fallout 4 is voiced and his/her motivations are rendered assinine by the game's plot twist. Recent plot developments in the game's DLC are also extraordinarily passive aggressive pushing the idea that the only way to find out if the PC is in fact a synth is to kill them. This is no doubt viewed as 'deep.'

The plot is more nonsensical than Fallout 3. Its full of dead ends and twists and leaps of logic that make James's project purity messiah complex loook reasonable.

The game is a glitchy mess full of Alpha level designs that were never properly developed. TYhe settlement building system is half baked and lifeless. The gun generation system produced 'legendaries' that are often useless. Crafting is mediocre compared to vanilla van buren. The UI literally looks like a pre-Alpha asset that never got updated.

The lore is self contradictory and not in a way that can be chalked down to characters ignorant of the universe they live in. Again and again Bethesda contradicts west coast canon with no regard to what actually makes Fallout Fallout.

>cont
>>
>>54136859

Then again the Chosen one tell it to Myron that Jet is Wasteland meth.
>>
>>54143610
The game is clearly developed by marketers. Again we see supermutants instead of interesting new mutants. Rather than build on FO3's character development for the Brotherhood (I'll be the first to call them assholes but one of my primary complaints is them not doing enough of their own unique shit) they revert them to west coast styled assholes in a clear, desperate attempt to appeal to older fans. Their writing is clumsy, the quest 'Human Error' is clearly meant to be a reference to Blade Runner but they're so caught up referencing Fallout 3's GOAT system they forget at any point in the quest to actually make direct alllusions to the movie/do androids dream of electric sleep.

The powered armor system was nice but immediately undercut by both a lore breaking fusion power system and a system that's needlessly restrictive and just plain easy to abuse later on. You get the armor too early, you see bandits making powered armor and yet not one car is present due to Bethesda's historic issues with making vehicles in gamebryo work.

the game is developed by people without an ounce of nuance. Fallout 1 has black humor and a story about rebuilding after the end. 2 was more crass but again focused on rebuilding. 'War Never Changes.' This is a game series about humanity repeating old world mistakes and trying to recreate society. Bethesda fetishistically focuses on surface elements down to turning washington state, a green, verdant state, into an arid shithole. Whereas Fallout 1 and 2 were only arid in areas where it made sense for california to be arid.

Character progression is non existance, the special system serves no purpose and many of the perks are lack luster. No amount of technical improvements can turn a stripped down FPS with some character progression into a true RPG.

The game, quite frankly is, lazy and made by someone assured that its pedigree alone will guarantee success.
>>
>>54142789
I completely fucking agree with you.
When I think "How will I make a build?" in Fallout New Vegas or 3, my mind is filled with the possibilities the skill system, loot system, and perk system gives you. It's exciting and makes me want too play it again.

Fallout 4's system is so completely pants-on-head-babby-simplistic there is no fucking reason too try that.
>>
>>54144084
Fallout 4 almost actively discourages making different kinds of builds. So many of the SPECIAL traits just don't offer anything substantial, like Luck and Charisma, so there's no real reason to take them. Then you have ones like Intelligence, which almost everyone invests in because weapon mods and hacking. People will take Strength because carry weight and Armorer, and Perception because Lockpicking. So you basically have the three of them that are almost essential to the whole game, and then the ones that are just nice to have and because you need a place to dump your Perk points when you aren't a high enough level to put them where you really want them.
>>
>>54141983
Pretty sure it's supposed to be the Protectoron that could be a Primm sheriff.
>>
>>54142390
I'm going to link a pair of very long videos that are basically going to say that it's good as a sandbox game, but not as a story or arguably a Fallout game. Bethesda's worked to improve gameplay and even make a more believable world than the one they made for Fallout 3, but they've been reluctant to make it much of an RPG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A34poZ6paGs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVyjRhSX92E
>>
If you took the best aspects of Fallout 4 and the best aspects of New Vegas, would you have the perfect Fallout game?
>>
>>54144438
But then I'd just have New Vegas.

But seriously, it is painfully obvious how Obsidian tried to make a game that was fun to play and with a meaningful story. Bethesda phoned it in at the former and went through the motions of the latter. It's not horrible, but there's nothing I can think of from Fallout 4 - aside from maybe the larger power armor, though I don't like the fusion core thing - that I really want. Even the crafting system isn't really worth it, what with all the Compensated Suppressed Tactical Hardened Calibrated Pipe weapons. It would need a serious overhaul before I stuck it in another game, even Fallout 4 doesn't deserve that level of RNG and stupidity.
>>
>>54144637
>But then I'd just have New Vegas.
Yeah, but with better combat and energy weapons. And also the hooked pipe wrench.
>>
>>54144835
and fucking some degree of stability, NV was the most crash prone game i've ever played, even without mods.
>>
File: 1498458514814.jpg (555KB, 1200x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1498458514814.jpg
555KB, 1200x2000px
>>54145486
I'm confused by that - it hasn't crashed on me once. I've had more problems with Skyrim than NV. I don't know how well they've cleaned it up, but 4 had a ton of glitches last I heard.

On a more lore-related note, any creatures that you miss from older games that you haven't seen in newer ones? Any interesting ideas for other kinds of mutants to throw into a game?
>>
File: WanamingoCA.jpg (8MB, 4200x3007px) Image search: [Google]
WanamingoCA.jpg
8MB, 4200x3007px
>>54145708
I really liked Wanamingo's even though they're kind of left field to be honest.

One thing Fallout 4 did decently was it's creatures. I like basically everything it added, especially the Far Harbour stuff.
>>
>>54145708
>Any interesting ideas for other kinds of mutants to throw into a game?
Giant, mutated spiders.
>>
File: 1345648_138352_large.jpg (123KB, 940x484px) Image search: [Google]
1345648_138352_large.jpg
123KB, 940x484px
>>54145708
Mutant pumas the size of tigers.

>>54146047
I'm really surprised this hasn't already been done to be honest.
>>
File: bos1.jpg (351KB, 1747x800px) Image search: [Google]
bos1.jpg
351KB, 1747x800px
The Brotherhood of Steel is cool. I would like to do a campaign involving a BoS scouting group. Maybe 3-4 low to mid level players, possibly with a support team of 5 other NPCs, sent to a new region to investigate various locations and reports of anomalous activity.

Anyone got some ideas for a state/region to set it in? Cities? Locations or Anomalies to investigate? Possible enemies?
>>
File: NeedleToothFloaterCA.jpg (75KB, 330x650px) Image search: [Google]
NeedleToothFloaterCA.jpg
75KB, 330x650px
>>54145708
Floaters were neat and the concept art of planned versions for Fallout 3 were neat.

Sand sharks were planned for Fallout 2. There's pretty much no info on them aside the name, but I think it'd be fun to see them.
>>
File: bos2.jpg (492KB, 1536x2044px) Image search: [Google]
bos2.jpg
492KB, 1536x2044px
>>54146213
Remove Abominations.
>>
>>54146159
A device I've always wanted to see show up in a Fallout storyline is a machine that actively ghoulifies or attempts to reverse ghoulification, depending on how it's used. Something post-war but created using pre-war tech and the minds of top ghoul scientists. The benefits/drawbacks of such a device would be super interesting, and depending on your take on the brotherhood they could either want to take it and use it as a solution to extreme radiation levels, or destroy it to ensure no one's able to use it for some insane Master style mutant army of ghouls.

Obviously the location would be radiation central, your scouting team would get caught up in a civil war between ghouls that want to turn everyone back to normal and ghouls that have GHOUL PRIDE NATION WIDE. Throw in a few super mutants that want to somehow turn it into a Super Mutant making machine and start up the Master's plans again, maybe a few raiders in radiation suits trying to find ancient treasures no one else is stupid enough to go after, and maybe even a few Children of Atom fags if you're into that 3/4 stuff, and you got yourself an interesting campaign.
>>
File: waster1.jpg (1MB, 1404x2808px) Image search: [Google]
waster1.jpg
1MB, 1404x2808px
There is such a huge plethora of art material for the Fallout series, mostly from concept artist for Fallout 3 Adam Adamowics. The guy's dead now, but I fucking love his art. I like to just go through this entire album while listening to the soundtrack, thinking up ideas and stories. Really good material.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47857688@N08/albums/72157629320774861/page2
>>
File: merc1.jpg (658KB, 1504x2928px) Image search: [Google]
merc1.jpg
658KB, 1504x2928px
>>54146277
I like the setting, the sectarian groups and faction conflict sounds really interesting. Maybe a tribal raider clan with a 'King' who has heard of the place and wants to attain immortality, like that ancient Chinese Emperor who searched for the elixir of immortality.

Then of course you'd have the wastoid treasure hunters doing the same, and looking to find other tech scrap well-hidden by the radiation. Perhaps have one option be to hire one experienced with the area to serve as a guide or assistant to accompany the team and help them map out the area.
>>
>>54146243
Makes you wonder why they went for the beard. Coat looks better with the flying theme, but the early design isn't half bad.
>>
>>54146588
I feel like the beard, and the scars, were probably motivated by them deciding Maxson would be more of a villain, or at least more morally ambiguous, than a hero.
>>
>>54146522
>Tribe of people who became isolated after the bombs fell and only had Chinese Propaganda to learn from.
>Their Emperor is on the war path to achieve immortality
>In between his search for the machine, he eats ghoul flesh in the hopes of it making him younger

There's potential here.

The guide idea is good too. Gotta have some people who will want to work with the Brotherhood without a crazy ulterior motive here and there.
>>
File: bos1.png (1MB, 1325x829px) Image search: [Google]
bos1.png
1MB, 1325x829px
>>54146588
I like the one on the top-left the most. Fits his youth and kind of fascist ubermensch theme better.
>>54146614
But he's the good guy though?
>>
>>54146629
>>54146522
It's a little cliched, but you could have the guide be a ghoul. Depending on how the players treat the guy, he might betray them and side with the ghoul supremacists at the end.
>>
>>54146673
>But he's the good guy though?

If he was, they wouldn't have given him a beard, scary scars, and a scowl.
>>
>>54146675
It's clearly a ghoul themed campaign, so what's one extra ghoul guide gonna do to harm it?
>>
On the same topic as the ghoul campaign, the Ghoul Supremacist leader could have potential to be a really intimidating or imposing presence on the campaign.

>"Look at yourselves, smoothskins. You have been on this scorched earth for how many decades now? Two? Three? And you think you know what is best for the world? You think you and your Brotherhood know how to best use that machine? This has been my world for centuries. I was here before the radiation, and I will be here after it finally dissipates. And I will not allow children to take away what is rightfully mine. What is rightfully ghoulkind's!"
>>
File: mutie1.jpg (4MB, 2690x2250px) Image search: [Google]
mutie1.jpg
4MB, 2690x2250px
>>54146629
Nice. Reminds me of the African tribal in District 9, who eats the alien flesh to gain it's power.

Maybe there will be two different sides of the area. The surface, ruled by the Chinese-Emperor's Raider Clans, with a impoverished Ghoul underclass, and the underground, a sanctuary for ghouls and muties. However, within the underground two mutie/ghoul factions conflict- a hardcore anti-human mutant/ghoul supremacist (like the Ghouls in the Tenpenny Tower mission), versus a more moderate and pacifist group led by ghoul and intelligent mutie scientists.
>>54146687
Waaah waah, you're opressing muties and robots! Shut up commie.
>>54146675
>>54146697
The Guide is intended to be a link to the non-raider human waster treasure hunters. A ghoul companion would more likely come in the form of one of the pacifists, perhaps a young (by ghoul standards) apprentice seeking to gain further scientific knowledge from the BoS in exchange for assistance in their mission.
>>
File: madsen_lar_2.jpg (24KB, 650x167px) Image search: [Google]
madsen_lar_2.jpg
24KB, 650x167px
>>54146805
>Waaah waah, you're opressing muties and robots! Shut up commie.

Just pointing out the author's intent. No need to get triggered about it.
>>
Are the Brotherhood seriously bad guys in Fallout 4? I've never gone their route. I do recall the one Field Scribe holotape saying that they kill the fuck out of people though, to the point that it disturbs her and she doubts that the Brotherhood are actually good guys.
>>
>>54140370
I don't know, if I remember right one of them mentions something along the lines of poking around the ruins wearing gecko skins and wielding sharp sticks before Mr. House found them.
>>
>>54146830
I'm just kidding.
>>
>>54146879
Well, there's the whole Danse subplot where he finds out he's a synth. The BoS would kill him if they knew, even though he's still perfectly loyal to them. That's not necessarily evil, depending on how you see synths, but it's certainly a little questionable.
>>
>>54146805
I really like it. I'm imagining it from the player's perspective, first coming into this collection of Raider Clans that are going around trying to become immortals and eat ghoul meat, and thinking how the campaign's going to be an Honest Hearts type tribal story, only for it to ironically open up when they go underground and find these mutants and ghouls fighting for their sci-fi machine. It's a cool set up.

And fair enough call on the Guide, we gotta give more love to the human factions anyway. Kid ghoul sounds like a fun character though.

>One of those rare ghouls that was a post-war human who simply had the right genes and got exposed to enough radiation/FEV stuff
>The pacifists take him in since he's into science but treat him like a kid even though he's probably older than most humans.
>Finds companionship with the Brotherhood if the players are fair when dealing with him.
>>
>>54146879
Fallout 4's Brotherhood are generally one of the eviler factions depending on how you view things. The Institute is still worse, since the Brotherhood does actually want to help people, but their views on how to handle tec/non-humans have gotten particularly Enclave like.
>>
>>54146949
Might be interesting if most the ghouls topside aren't feral, but are pretty close. Like, they live like animals/tribals outside of the raider settlements but inside of them they're treated like pets or slaves.

Maybe that's part of the motivation for the Ghoul Underground? They're trying to cure apparently inevitable plague of turning feral? There's the subplot in the Nuka World where a community of ghouls all go feral one by one and they desperately try to find a cure.
>>
>>54146986
Maybe the outside ghouls are more likely to go feral simply because of how shitty the living conditions are for them. From what I understand, and I could be wrong, going feral isn't just a result of too much brain decay, but is also partly psychological. Most of the feral ghouls you see in the games were most likely driven feral in the early decades where everything was terrible and no one had any new societies set up, right? Either way, the second class citizen ghouls working in the hot sun and living in pig pens wouldn't have much reason to hold onto their sanity. The Emperor and his nobles on the inside keep ghouls as pets and house slaves, and while they're less likely to go feral, they're ready to fucking snap at any moment if they were just given the chance to do it.

As for the Ghoul Underground, the pacifist scientists could certainly argue that they need to cure people of being ghouls before they all go feral, while the Supremacists believe that going feral is a small price to pay for centuries of rule, if it truly is inevitable, or that they simply won't go feral if they have no reason to, i.e. they're living like kings away from the conditions that would make them more likely to go feral.
>>
File: enclaveofficer1.jpg (941KB, 2498x3000px) Image search: [Google]
enclaveofficer1.jpg
941KB, 2498x3000px
>>54146938
>>54146968
Well, there's two arguments to be made about the whole Synth situation.
1: They're not conscious. They're just extremely intricate machines made to act like they're conscious, and they do it really well. So it's perfectly fine to kill them, and we should kill them because they are a threat.
2: They are conscious, but they're still such an existential threat to humanity and even organic life in general that they simply cannot be tolerated.
Either way, the argument passes for me. Which is why I side with the Brotherhood.
>>54146949
Good ideas on both counts, though I was thinking a somewhat different background for the 'Kid'.

>Interested in Science and Technology from young age, some degree of education from old books, holotapes, and computers
>Investigates reports of Ghoul/Mutant science community dating possibly to before the war
>Travels to the underground, becomes ghoulified and is taken in as a naive, doe-eyed protege

Also, I'm thinking it should be a girl to gain extra sympathy points.
>>
>>54147064
>1: They're not conscious. They're just extremely intricate machines made to act like they're conscious, and they do it really well. So it's perfectly fine to kill them, and we should kill them because they are a threat.
>2: They are conscious, but they're still such an existential threat to humanity and even organic life in general that they simply cannot be tolerated.

Both of these arguments kind of deflate when you actually watch a synth being made. It's not made of wires or metal, they literally just 3D print a person then stick a monitoring device in their brain. They're no less organic than you are or I, they just skip the womb and growing up.
>>
>>54147089
Well yeah, but that's what #2 is for. Even if they are conscious, they are far superior to us, and so they must be stamped out before they can destroy us, while they are still weaker.
>>
>>54147064
My problem with the argument that the synths are just complex machines is that once we get to the latest generation of synths, they're basically just making humans out of flesh and blood, just with components in their heads that let the Institute assume direct control. We're told constantly how hard it is to tell a synth from a human, to the point where you can't even prove it with blood tests, and for me it reaches this point where I can only assume they are so close to human that they're basically just clones. Plus, if they were just complex machines, they should have been able to iron out their free will a long time ago, like they did when the synths really were just a bunch of complex parts.
>>
>>54147064
I'll admit I haven't played Fallout 4, so maybe this is a stupid question, but what's wrong with synths? As far as I can understand, they replace people and live their lives while acting as spies. That's scary if you don't want to be replaced, but why are they so bad once they're there? They're apparently indistinguishable from people, and are meant to replace them and all so it's not like they're assassins or saboteurs.
>>
>>54147064
I could go with either kawaii ghoul girl or bullied ghoul boy. Whatever works best for the DM or players of this theoretical game.
>>
>>54147105
But how can they be a threat to humanity if they are humanity? If they are better, shouldn't one endeavor to replace us with them? If you wanted you could just make them as children or babies so you can raise them.

It's not like synths want to start making more of themselves as well. In fact, the one group that has free synths in it wants to shut down the production permanently.
>>
>>54147133
Androgynous ghoul cutie that never discloses their own gender?
>>
>>54147126
That's the thing though, the replacements can act as assassins and saboteurs. The fear is that at any moment, for reasons only the Institute understands and doesn't plan on telling anybody, your best friend/loved one can immediatly turn on you and kill you. Or worse, start a plan that breaks down your entire community. The Institute does not communicate with the outside world, and so any synth is a potential threat to them.

Really, if the Institute is taken care of, synths are no longer a threat. But anger towards them still continues most likely because of the years of fear and paranoia they caused simply by existing.
>>
>>54147142
>Are you a boy or a girl?
>"I'm a ghoul, smoothskin."
>But what's in your pants?
>"Radiation."
>>
>>54147135
Not *yet* they don't. But just you wait. They will. In fact, they actually are already starting to replace some humans. If they exist, we, eventually, will no longer exist. It's not even necessarily a rational thing, just about survival.
>>
>>54147105
If we destroy them in the end, aren't we actually superior? Do that would make us the bad guys destroying a weaker race.
>>
>>54147184
They're only weaker because they've just been brought into the world. If we wait, they'll become stronger, and win. But if we cut them off before they get the chance, we'll avoid that. It's like the human resistance in the Terminator series trying to go back in time to stop Skynet from ever happening, except we don't need to go back in time.
>>
Can't you immediatly get rid of the synth potential to be threats if you just destroy the machines that makes them in the first place? If the Institute is gone, and the machines that make them are gone, all that's left is a couple hundred Barbie and Ken dolls that will live for a long time. Basically good looking ghouls.
>>
>>54147238
Yeah, but then people can still have sex and organically produce a synth.
>>
>>54147253
I gotta get some confirmation that synths can have organic kids from the games.
>>
>>54147181
The difference between us and them is purely artificial though. There is no actual difference between a human and a synth besides institute conditioning and the chip in the brain.

If you make a synth without those things it's just a person that can't breed naturally.
>>
>>54147261
A synth that isn't a courser is literally just a regular person. So a kid of two synths would just be a 100% human. Calling it a synth would be a misnomer.

That said, synths are sterile.
>>
>>54147274
Exactly. So blow up the Institute, get rid of the synth machines, let the Synths live their sterile lives in peace, everyone wins.
>>
>>54147175
Honestly makes me wonder if ghouls can have sex, or even still have the functioning parts for it.
>>
>>54147319
They're sterile, but whether they can have sex or not seems to vary. Some ghouls have said they can't get it up, but others have said they fuck. Female ghouls probably don't have as much trouble as males do.
>>
>>54147319
>>54147344
I'm pretty sure it all just depends on the health of the individual ghoul's body. Every ghoul is sterile, but some are luckier than others and still have parts that can feel and do things. We gotta remember that they're still basically just rotting humans. Some things rot worse than others.
>>
>>54111641
>Jacobstown was sort of a support group for all the mutants after The Master died
But that's fucking wrong, Broken Hills was the first town, it was much later that Marcus founded Jacobstown, and Jacobstown in general is more for helping nightkin
>>
>>54111641
aren't intelligent deathclaws sterile?
>>
>>54123905
New York
>>
>>54147319
Beatrix in NV.
>>
>>54148217
It was more a fetish thing though. She was a dom. For all we know she slapped on a strap-on and went to town on some buttholes.
>>
>>54144324
These are pretty good videos if you happen to have three hours of your life to spare.
>>
>>54148874
Good thing I've got all the hours then.
>>
>>54148259
I didn't really want to put that much thought into it desu, but you do you anon.
>>
>>54125013
Fusion cars was an invention by Beth. My dude. At least try playing fallout 1 and 2.

And do you honestly think cars last 200 years?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (46KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
46KB, 1280x720px
>>54149352
>Fusion cars was an invention by Beth

Try following your own advice, there, chief.
>>
>>54136859
If you look under the surface you can see pretty clearly how rushed fallout 2 was, and how every zone was made by different teams.
>>
>>54147126
#NotAllSynths
#PrayForBoston
>>
>>54149374
Where in fallout 1 does it say any of the cars are powered by Fusion? Also how would
>Fully Analog System
>No Computers!
Work with a nuclear reactor?

And what about the Highwayman? They began to make electric cars because of oil scarcity. If fusion cars were common technology what would be the point?

And if fusion technology was so common that it was in every car and supermarket, what was the point of seizing the last oil on the planet and hoarding it?
>>
>>54149849
Isn't the Highwayman a fusion car? It ran off of MF cells. Or is a fusion car something else?
>>
>>54149889
Did you even play Fallout 2?

The Highwayman needs to be charged up by MF or E cells, implying it has a battery.

A fusion car would generate its own power, and wouldn't need to be charged up.
>>
>>54149986
>Did you even play Fallout 2?
I plead the fifth.
>>
File: 1319595797213.jpg (608KB, 850x750px) Image search: [Google]
1319595797213.jpg
608KB, 850x750px
>>54149986

>Also how would
>Fully Analog System
>No Computers!
>Work with a nuclear reactor?

Uh... The same way early nuclear reactors did? With various sensors all displaying their data on gauges? Just because you can't imagine technology working without a monitor and keyboard doesn't mean it never did, anon. Also:

>MF
>Micro-Fusion
>totally not fusion-powered, guys
>>
>>54124681
well, its not d100, its d20, so d100 / 5. but you can try http://www.leovauntgamedesign.com/fallout-rpg, its free and pretty fun. It is quite heavy on crunch, and its got pretty hefty survival and combat systems, which I like but YMMV.
>>
>>54142390
The gun customization, crafting, building one's own place and fighting is great.

The story, plotholes, dialogues riddled with "three answers for yes, one for no (I'll answer yes later)", fluff, balance, once again merely shoehorned in rather than properly built survival, system requirements, diablo-like legendary mobs with legendary loot - all a disappointing crap.

Bethesda is good when it comes to customization, graphics fireworks etc but their writers are subpar compared to original Fallout series, mainly 1 and 2.
>>
>>54143610
>>54143764
That's quite a ranty wall of text. But also surprisingly correct and echoing my own thoughts on majority of it together with other posts ITT. Someone should just screencap everything and throw it at Bethesda. Long shot but maybe they'll stop butchering future installments of the series (you know they're coming).
>>
File: yTcilHA.jpg (57KB, 1592x1557px) Image search: [Google]
yTcilHA.jpg
57KB, 1592x1557px
>>54150202
>but maybe they'll stop butchering future installments of the series

>this guy thinks anything can stop THE TODD
>>
>>54150221
One can hope. And it feels right to at least try to throw some token resistance, even if odds are insurmountable. I still think it wouldn't be a good idea to gather together all this criticism into one digestible form and throw it at Bethesda. I already felt bad seeing raider power armors in 4, I worry how much more they can twist the lore into some pale shadow of itself.
>>
>>54150031
That sounds like something a communist would say.
>>
>>54150314
Fuck off.
>>
>>54150031
If you didn't, you should drop the thread and play it now. Preferably with community patch (the one that fixes content, not adds on top of it).
>>
I'm thinking about running a campaign based on Van Buren plot, obviously slightly altered to better fit ttrpg format and having multiple PCs. Good or bad idea?
>>
>>54149352
wow its like you never played 2 and unlocked the chrysalis highwayman to speed up map travel.
>>
>>54150420
>Good or bad idea?
Merely workable, how good it is depends on how well the adjustments will work and how well GMed it'll be. A good GM will be able to make something interesting and ambitious out of really cliche adventure plotline, a bad GM will mess up (especially) the most ambitious and intriguing stories you can give them.
>>
>>54149986
>MF
>Microfusion
>a fusion powered cell that produces electricity
>not fusion powered
>E-cellls not being miniature fusion cells to be able to produce the energy needed for energy weapons to workl
>not bothering to pay attention to the fact that transistors were slowly being released to the public sector and that vacuum tube tech was common
>nevermind the use of analog sensory devices
>or that a fusion car would need to be refueled, probably with purified water.

you didn't even play the games
>>
Hello again, I'm the anon who was looking for a d100 fallout game. I looked up all three of the systems only one of them is completely done and the 2 others are incomplete and not what I'm looking for.

So I'm going to ask for a D20 fallout game in PDF format that considers fallout 1, 2 New Vegas and its DLC as the canon of fallout games, completely ignoring fallout 3 and 4 at best or acknowledging them at worst

I've been combing google for something but apparently my google-fu for this specific thing is rather weak
>>
>>54150680
The car's fuel cell is charged by MF cells. How in your brain does this translate to the fuel cell itself being a nuclear reactor?

If I charge my phone from power generated in a coal plant do I have a coal powered phone?
>>
>>54150903
>If I charge my phone from power generated in a coal plant do I have a coal powered phone?
Well, ultimately, yes.
>>
>>54150983
Coal was created by decomposing plant matter. The plant matter was powered by the sun. So coal fired plants are actually solar powered plants, right?
>>
>>54150320
Analyzing... American colloquialism confirmed. Probability of use by Chinese infiltrator: 0.3%. Thank you. Report any suspected communists to the proper authorities immediately! Have a nice day.
>>
>>54151202
The light created by the sun is the product of fusion. The fused material was created by the Big Bang, which was probably caused by a matter-antimatter reaction.

So really your phone is powered by antimatter
>>
>>54150903
There's a few extra steps, but yeah, it's superscience miniaturized fusion reactions creating the power for the car.

So shut the fuck up
>>
>>54150860
So you might consider the free LGD fallout game
http://www.leovauntgamedesign.com/fallout-rpg, it does have options for synths and stat blocks for creatures in 3 and 4, but you could run it however you want to, there's a lot of stuff from 1/2/tactics/new vegas in it
>>
>>54150860
>>54151743
It is d20, it is in bookmarked pdf's, and seems to be what you're looking for
>>
>>54147089
They're reprogrammable almost-humanity that can be used as a weapon like in far harbor to replace community members with synths strategically. They're a tool for infiltration even when they're free. There's nothing more dangerous to any young society than a tool for replacing key leaders with controllable equivalents. Imagine if Tandi had been replaced by a synth that sabotaged the community in the name of some other group? The NCR would never have existed and that's just what happened to the commonwealth. I contend that if it were just the chip that makes them controllable then there would be an effort to remove the chip or put something like that into regular humans just to see: the institute has already abducted them for unethical experiments anyways. They're more dangerous than regular people in one of the worst ways imaginable for a redeveloping society.

Whether it's moral or not to destroy them for me depends on what they actually are, a question that's not wholly answered by the game: you see them made, and you know they're slightly different, but the mechanisms are left out of it since it'd make it cut and dry and the whole dilemma only can exist in our ignorance, which we're never allowed to break, like how we can't ask father about all the unethical shit we can find out about the institute.
>>
>>54106784
Bit of a newfag on this board, but isn't Fallout a videogame?
>>
>>54151557
It can be charged by e cells. So really any power source works, not exclusively super science.

Which is the whole point. It was just an electric car. It didn't have a built in fusion reactor. Fusion being everyday technology completely invalidates the cause of the war.

Fusion power in the originals was cutting edge technology used by the Army and huge corporations. Not the backup generator in super duper marts.
>>
>>54151934
Yeah you're a newfag
Did you read any part in this thread where the setting is being adapted to ttrpg rules?
>>
>>54151980
Yes, but it felt like a lot of people were talking about the vidya. Tho now that you say it, they might have been talking about the tt.
>>
>>54151934
Here you can talk about Fallout without idiots of /v/, oldfags of /vr/ and perverts of /vg/.
>>
File: fog.png (100KB, 533x407px) Image search: [Google]
fog.png
100KB, 533x407px
>>54152024
>Big waifus, big booms!
>>
>>54151754
Many thanks, you are credit to team
>>
>>54151775
That said if you want to use it in a tabletop, players are going to be able to search for these answers without video game barriers.

Pure conjecture on my part, and what I'm using if they do: It's likely that the synth component has important functions within their brain and that the "brain" itself is inorganic nano-circuitry hooked up to that chip, all with glial cells around it with the right shape and parts, and the digital neural network inside the circuits itself still operates with a complex personality matrix like older robots, but with the addition of simulated emotion for added depth to their "experience", all simulated internally and designed by trial an error using something like the memory pods, letting humans "experience" synth life to refine it and make their experience more "real". The rest of the nervous system could be hooked up to that: it'd make the progression from gen 2 to 3 make sense and not seem like a full discarding of the electronics and still leave it difficult to detect since taking brain samples isn't exactly an option. The rest of their body is functionally human, but their nerves are linked up with that circuitry by the same methods as other cybernetics are. We've known since the 80s or so that glial cells actually do "talk" to one another and to nerves and are important in cognition but before it seemed they were primarily for maintaining nerve cells: it's possible this was missed in fallout and that's were all the synths going rogue come from: the errors are introduced by this chemical chatter, and they build up until the synth brain rightly decides it's not just a machine, thus the issue with them going rogue.
>>
>>54152361
Cont:
They have DNA but the fact that they don't undergo development from womb to childhood to adulthood means it doesn't even play a role in the shaping of any neural pathways, a slow complicated process in nature, so it's almost irrelevant to who they are mentally, which is instead handled by the chip and it's linkages, or more accurately the software inside. The chip also functions like an endocrine gland which boosts metabolism to prevent fat build up, prevents regular aging (same tech as with kellog), and adds increased energy resistance by giving the body a unique response to concentrated high temperatures. Why is detecting synths so difficult though? Energy weapons are deadly, expensive, and difficult to tone down to use for that kind of testing to sort through humans, MRI machines are rare and underappreciated tech next to power armor or lasers so finding the chip that way is hard, trying to get someone fat takes time and resources the people don't have and there are humans with great metabolisms like that anyway. Waiting for synths to get old takes to much time, and without any idea where to look those circuits aren't liable to be finding them through tissue samples. The biggest aspect to their difficulty in detection is that people don't know that synths are different in these particular ways, just the obvious piece in their head when they run the autopsy.

As a side note this whole idea allows the railroad to be tied with those pre-war hippies saving robots better, since the methods gen 3s are partly robotic are now clear, something that was lacking if they're just humans with mind control chips.
>>
>>54119784
Why oh why oh why would you mod a fuggin Tok into FO4?
The crappiest, most dirt common handgun in Canada. Now all over the commonwealth? Why?

Please, I beg of you to not do this.
>>
>>54150170
I think there writers have some sort of *potential*, but there's just no real solid... leadership, or something. Like, the IDEA of fallout 4's basic story isn't bad at all. It's actually quite good. They just didn't make it compelling. At all.
>>
>>54150294
What's wrong with Raider Power armor? I mean, you take a T-45 or something, gut it down to the bare minimum, and slap your own shit on. I actually like how power armor works in 4, it makes sense. Except for the fusion cells, which are supposed to last forever, but whatever.
>>
>>54154082
The servos in power armor require training to operate I think sempai.
>>
>>54154236
Oh well yeah. That was also fucking dumb, but that's not really a problem with raider power armor specifically.
>>
File: 1453695902381.jpg (98KB, 324x541px) Image search: [Google]
1453695902381.jpg
98KB, 324x541px
>>54148874
I think he makes some brilliant points about games, and he works hard to be unbiased so it comes off better than 'Why Fallout 3 Sucks.' I mean, it's not wrong in what it says, but it just comes off biased, where this guy goes 'hey some people prefer Fallout 3 and that's okay you have your reasons for that.'
>>
File: prewaramerican1.jpg (720KB, 2406x2837px) Image search: [Google]
prewaramerican1.jpg
720KB, 2406x2837px
The Pre-War setting is rarely touched on, but pretty good material I think. 40s-60s era WW3, with all the glorious aesthetics associated. Would be cool to see a bit more of it.
>>54154394
I fucking hate HBomberGuy's review. He's not even wrong, he's just an annoying cunt. I love Jason Anderson though.
>>
Is the fallout complete PnP shit or does it work fine?
>>
>>54154480
It's not bad, even though I've started to find the 50s aesthetic a bit tiring, especially since it's so goddamned happy and bright because you gotta contrast it with the Wasteland. Sure, I know it's more under the surface, but it could stand to be a bit gritter and a little different from the 50s.

What most bothers me about it is how especially in Bethesda titles it seems to be kind of used as a crutch - 'we can't make that interesting a world, so let's focus on the world that was.'
>>
File: prewarchinese1.jpg (2MB, 1251x2765px) Image search: [Google]
prewarchinese1.jpg
2MB, 1251x2765px
>>54154826
Yeah I agree, it shouldn't JUST be WW2/50s. It would be fine to delve into 60s/70s stuff a bit, particularly early punk and metal stuff for raiders and wastelanders.
>>
File: 1290226458198.jpg (143KB, 715x621px) Image search: [Google]
1290226458198.jpg
143KB, 715x621px
>>54154480
>40s-60s era WW3

Uh... Just to be sure, you realize the Resource Wars and subsequent Great War happened in the 21st Century, right?

That said, I do find some aspects of the world before the bombs compelling. There's good potential for drama, especially where soldiers are concerned--just look at the tale of Randall Clark.

But, on the other hand, the pre-war world was never the focus. Everything we hear about the world before the bombs is that it was just as much of a hell as the world after it, just with different curtains. It's not a place we're supposed to be pining for; we're meant to conclude that it was kind of a good thing the mess was swept away. It's telling that pretty much all the antagonists in the series are obsessed with the old world in some way, and haven't moved on.
>>
>>54152438
Nah, it was just an example from video modeling tutorial.
>>
>>54154997
Yes I know that you goofer. But 40s-60s era Retro-Futuristic Aesthetic.

I agree, I just really like the Retro-Futuristic aesthetic. The Old World is the Old World for a reason, though, I agree. But a little peek into the past is nice every once in a while.
>>
File: 1434487011168.jpg (161KB, 445x768px) Image search: [Google]
1434487011168.jpg
161KB, 445x768px
>>54155154
>Yes I know that you goofer.

Just making sure, mate. Some people don't realize that, believe it or not.

>a little peek into the past
See, that's what makes it work, though. By being left to piece things together, we become more invested in the tragedy. The melancholy that comes from learning these stories, so long gone that there's nothing to be done about the outcome, is what sticks with you.
>>
File: 1439267186877.gif (4MB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1439267186877.gif
4MB, 320x320px
Is anyone aware of if they still celebrate the 4th in the Fallout universe, or any other holidays for that matter?
>>
>>54155902

Diamond City gets decked out for Halloween and Christmas. Those are the only two holidays they observe, though, and it's really more of an easter egg than anything tied into the lore.
>>
>>54155902
Most likely not, except for pre-war robots. So much time has past in the series that people really don't see America as anything more as where they happen to be.
>>
>>54155902
I wouldn't be surprised if the BoS still have some memory of the tradition, considering their military origin.

NCR probably has a national holiday too, possibly on the 4th.
>>
>>54136853
Berhesda wanted to do their lovecraft story and damn everything else. (It was a decent little pseudo lovecraft story despite fitting the setting badly.) And Zeta was a dumb everything.
>>
>>54139500
They were probably not Zion style tribals, more like the Khans or the Boomers, but 7 years is still too short, 15 would have been better.
>>
>>54144263
He knows, he is just talking about how damn powerful Protectrons got in FO4 (especially the engineering ones with built-in rail rifles, though I liked the Pitt's cyclops-hardhat ones more than the siren-hazard-light model-wise.)
>>
>>54142545
Your GF needs to learn
1. Vault Tec was insane
2. SCIENCE and the lack of morals surrounding it is a huge part of the universe
3. How to live a little.

Everything else is pretty spot on though.
>>
>>54157248
>>54142545
>Isn't that like... multiple millions of dollars ( in the 60's) that you're wasting on something you never intend to get any actual use out of?

Someone execute this fucking thot, Jesus. Literally knows nothing about fallout.
>>
So, anyone know why Bethesda and Obsidian only ever got one Sinatra song? Was his cover of Blue Moon not under Nancy's control and she doesn't like the ultraviolence? Was it just pure price?
>>
>>54157392
Focus on some less than widely known music?
>>
>>54157392
Despite having a gang of Elvis impersonators, they couldn't get any Elvis songs because of how expensive they were.
>>
>>54154658
If you mean the "Fallout Complete Kit" in the OP the it works pretty decent. If you use Guns and Ammo though you're going to want to buff all the critters because the guns got major damage boosts to make it a lot more dangerous and chunky.
>>
>>54157360
I admit she knows less about the setting than she should when commenting about it from a realistic perspective. She's played NV a ton but never beat it, and only ever beat Tactics (and more recently 4, when she made that bigass shit as she was going along). 1 and 2 kicked her ass she says, but I'm gonna sit with her through them sometime soon, since she's playing in my Arizona game and they're genuinely good games that aren't that difficult otherwise
>>
File: mutie4.jpg (2MB, 2837x2145px) Image search: [Google]
mutie4.jpg
2MB, 2837x2145px
There's some interesting concept art by Adamowicz for FO3, grouped along with the other Super Mutant art. These mutants, though, seem to be kinda weird in comparison to the other yellow/green ones that made it into the game itself.

Kind of Albino looking, and a little bit more intelligent.

Maybe a group which had a different strain of FEV used on them, who are allied but separate from the main yellowskin-centaur branch. A complex tribal structure based around hunting and survivalism.
>>
File: screen20.jpg (279KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
screen20.jpg
279KB, 640x480px
>>54146277
Fallout 1.5: Resurrection has a plot point similar to this. It's also a really good fan made game, easily comparable in quality to the originals.

>>54146896
It's also mentioned that the Three Families were having a turf war with the Great Khans at the time of House's power play in establishing the strip, so they had some level of civilization. Living in an un-nuked city probably means they were better off then the average wasteland tribals before House whipped them into shape.
>>
>>54150626
>>54150065
Different Anon, but the Highwayman is electric powered. You just use Small Energy and Micro Fusion Cells to charge the batteries.
>>
>>54155902
It's been two hundred years since the bombs fell. Plenty of time to completely forget about the 4th of July, with the country it celebrates long dead. The Vaults, and any settlements established by them might, but they probably don't know what it really means.
>>
>>54157392
Music licensing costs a metric fuckton of money.
>>
>>54146047
Please god no,as someone with Arachnophobia I can't stand it when games make enemies. Its why I never played Skyrim or Metro: Last light.

I feel like its done by people who wan't to add a scary enemy without trying. I beg of you no!
>>
>>54157838
Might've been cool to have an equivalent to the West Coast Nightkin, but not because of special training but due to just being naturally stealthier than your wild barbaric kin.
>>
File: mutie2.jpg (1MB, 2373x1994px) Image search: [Google]
mutie2.jpg
1MB, 2373x1994px
>>54158507
Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I saw them too. Would make for a good companion, aswell, considering the higher intelligence.

A good accompanying mutant animal would be some kind of dog mutant, like the mutant hounds in FO4.
>>
File: raider1.jpg (6MB, 2754x3366px) Image search: [Google]
raider1.jpg
6MB, 2754x3366px
Another interesting thing might be relations between raiders and the super mutants. It might be a bit too far-fetched, but theoretically, I could see the Raiders selling guns and slaves for the FEV vats to the Muties, maybe in return for staying out of Raider territory or crushing a certain opposing raider clan.

Maybe even a group of semi-benevolent raiders, who lord over a town, getting tax tribute, and giving the town a degree of protection from other, more brutal raider clans, muties, and maybe even slavers.
>>
>>54151202
>So coal fired plants are actually solar powered plants, right?
Yes.
>>
>>54158818
That's not as far fetched as you might think. We know that there are super mutants who are more sane and sensible than others. If they had a smart leader, why wouldn't they negotiate with people willing to give them more meat for the pits?
>>
>>54157248
You can't really blame her for shitting on the Vaults if Vault 111 is one of the only ones she's seen. I mean, she was right, freezing people and observing the effects isn't a social experiment, just an experiment. Some of the other things she doesn't seem to know can be forgiven too, like how the Institute killed the life support and why they took Shaun.
>>
File: mutie5.jpg (1MB, 2243x2340px) Image search: [Google]
mutie5.jpg
1MB, 2243x2340px
>>54159914
Yeah, but we never saw an intelligent leader in FO3. There was intelligent muties, but no leadership was explained. Doesn't mean there wasn't one, or can't be one. Was just a lore fuckup by Beth. Like many others.
>>
File: pitt4.jpg (379KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
pitt4.jpg
379KB, 1280x720px
>>54158818
I don't think the former scenario is too far-fetched - it really depends on how willing the Super Mutants are to work with or interact with humans. Maybe they'll see the benefit of getting weapons and slaves, maybe they'd rather kill the raiders and take the guns and slaves. Either way, I can see that relationship developing, and it'd be a great way to flesh out Super Mutants - Fallout 3 and 4 are a bit frustrating in how many Super Mutants there are, but it's never really explained how they get all their stuff, or in the case of the former organize taking slaves back to the Vault they came from.

The latter scenario makes me wonder if they're really raiders at that point. I'd say the raiders in charge of the Pitt are barely raiders, since they're most concerned with keeping order in their little kingdom and don't really need to raid others. Same idea with the Powder Gangers if they take Goodsprings.
>>
>>54160193
Well, in the real world, lots of Vikings were just guys who lorded over territory and were technically nobles, going on expeditions outside of their lands to raid. And they were still referred to as Vikings (literally sea-raiders), despite owning land and protecting it.

I mean, realistically, they'd need some kind of settlements. We see that big like, trainstation/quarry and some other examples of raider-only forts in FO3, but im not sure that's enough to support such a large population.
>>
>>54160080
Bethesda really likes to focus on the dumb dumb Super Mutants, and 3's Super Mutants are both a different strain of FEV, and about as dumb as they can get when it comes to Super Mutants. Mutants like Marcus, Tabitha, and Davison, though varying degrees of crazy, are intelligent enough to command other super mutants and negotiate, so super mutant command isn't always might makes right.
>>
I had a funny idea for a mountain terrain Rescue cyberdog. A cross between a St Bernard and an autodoc. (With a good portion of the autodoc parts wrapping around the neck like the anti-frostbite kegs.
>>
File: wastoid3.jpg (1MB, 2197x2340px) Image search: [Google]
wastoid3.jpg
1MB, 2197x2340px
>>54160270
Yeah, I agree. Like the master, there would be some intelligent, posibly super-intelligent being directing it all- or, various mid-level intelligence (for a human, high for a mutie) operating various mutie sects, possibly coming into conflict with eachother at times.
>>
>>54160634
I like it. Stimpaks around a robot dog's neck is funny stuff.
>>
File: wastoid5.jpg (463KB, 731x828px) Image search: [Google]
wastoid5.jpg
463KB, 731x828px
>>
File: tumblr_o3ws4cArZj1t7y2q1o4_1280.png (1000KB, 800x564px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3ws4cArZj1t7y2q1o4_1280.png
1000KB, 800x564px
New Vegas had a strong western theme with a lot of open space, Fallout 4 had a more urban design and played with Revolutionary war themes...what else do you think fits well for Fallout in terms of design and look?
>>
>>54162992
New York with a noir prohibition era gangster vibe. Which is actually a campaign I'm gonna run soon. The city got hit directly with an experimental neutron bomb, so most of the buildings stayed standing but everyone above ground died.
>>
File: FNVAllGeckos.jpg (378KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
FNVAllGeckos.jpg
378KB, 1440x900px
Am I the only one that finds Geckos kind of cute? When they get injured they make a sound that sounds almost like an 'uh oh' or something.
>>
Bethesda sometimes does things with Fallout that I can't tell if they're being clever or it's just a coincidence.

Like giving the USMC a set of non-powered armor just as heavy and nearly as tough as actual power armor. I feel like it COULD be a nod to the USMC usually being issued "Last-year's tech." compared to the other branches, but they could have just wanted heavy armor and said "Well it's near the water."

>>54163415
They're pretty adorable yeah.
>>
File: FalloutQuickrulez!.png (801KB, 1899x1317px) Image search: [Google]
FalloutQuickrulez!.png
801KB, 1899x1317px
Heres a thing i made for my group

Only thing thats missing on there is the different ap cost for square movement but otherwise i think this covers the basics pretty well
>>
>>54163609
It's really hard to say, since sometimes the level of effort or detail they add is spotty - a lot in one place, only a little in another. Maybe it is a nod to the USMC, or they're using that knowledge as an excuse to justify such tough armor. I don't know.

What I do know is that it looks awesome, and actually kind of makes me miss the Raider Power Armor from The Pitt when it's all painted up. That shit was rad.
>>
>>54163415
I always play with animal friend perk so I don't have to kill them (or any other animal).
>>
>>54163907
I'll be honest, I really like the look of the raider power armor in Fo4. Also makes me want a Mad Max style setting where all the raider gangs have unique styles of power suits that they fight in.
>>
>>54163925
>>
Anybody interested in a Wastelands 2.0 charsheet?

A friend of mine is making one currently and i think he'll be done this afternoon
>>
>>54163609
>>54163907
>In all forms the Marine Armor doesn't have boots... Even though they have them in the game files.
>The reloading animation for the Lever Action always reloads five rounds, even when your just topping it off.
Far Harbor is the only redeeming thing about Fallout 4, but I'm still mad.
>>
File: MAP-Richmond.png (80KB, 762x861px) Image search: [Google]
MAP-Richmond.png
80KB, 762x861px
I finished some mspaint maps

Praise me for my game mastering prowess
>>
File: MAP-RichmondSettlements.png (121KB, 762x861px) Image search: [Google]
MAP-RichmondSettlements.png
121KB, 762x861px
>>54166117
>>
File: MAP-RichmondSettlements+Areas.png (157KB, 762x861px) Image search: [Google]
MAP-RichmondSettlements+Areas.png
157KB, 762x861px
>>54166130
>>
File: MAP-RichmondPolitics.png (422KB, 762x861px) Image search: [Google]
MAP-RichmondPolitics.png
422KB, 762x861px
>>54166143
>>
>>54166117
>>54166130
>>54166143
>>54166150
Yo gimme some fuckin feedback fellas
>>
>>54164007
Wouldnt mind taking a look.
>>
>>54166359
There is a lot going on here.
>>
>>54166514
I was hoping things would be a little less complex if i split up the map in different parts
>>
>>54166359
Well, I don't know much about Virginia, but otherwise it looks in order. Could you elaborate on what some of the specifics mean?

Who are the Glouchester Operators and King Silus, for example.
>>
>>54166751
Silus is this fella
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Silus
I wanted the legion on the east coast but that was a difficult concept since Caesar doesn't (to my knowledge) plan to expand east

So if i was to get my east coast legion there'd need to be a high ranking person to defect from the legion and pull some legionaires up east

Silus was likely to defect from the legion after what happened in Vegas so i pulled him to the Kings George Campground to build an encampment which serves as a source for "evil" quests

The disciples and the operators are basically the guys from Nukaworld
In my setting the Sole Survivor did the raider thing, conquered the commonwealth and fucked up most of the BoS
After doing that he plans to expand his "raider empire". I figured it would make sense to have a couple of bases to act as further sources of conflict in the region instead of bland raider bands
>>
File: tumblr_o25981b5Qk1riawyco1_500.jpg (86KB, 500x533px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o25981b5Qk1riawyco1_500.jpg
86KB, 500x533px
>>54166359
Calm the fuck down, thread's a slow burner. Southern Virginia anon here, I get wanting relatable factions but why not just create new unique ones? It seems out of place for Operators and Disciples to be so far south and the Legion is even worse being this far east. I mean it's over 2,000 miles from Flagstaff to Richmond.
>>
File: virginia_is_for_lovers.jpg (171KB, 1600x1117px) Image search: [Google]
virginia_is_for_lovers.jpg
171KB, 1600x1117px
>>54166868
>>54166868
C'mon its not that far south they coulda taken a boat or something.
Anyways the raiders are replaceable, i can just think up my own version of fiends or whatever

Legion isn't that easy to replace. I want some real evil there but something that can be destroyed by one party

Having a single, spread out unit of 80 men seems fine by me.

Furthermore i need those evil quests and i'm having problem thinking of an evil faction that doesn't sound ridiculous
>>
>>54166868
Okay, disregard this criticism. The Silus angle is good, him wanting to get away from potential retribution by Caesar's frumentarii is a good plot hook and the Sole Survivor being an evil Raider Emperor who wrecked the Brotherhood is neat. Anything in particular your looking to expand on?
>>
File: richmondrangers.png (17KB, 759x461px) Image search: [Google]
richmondrangers.png
17KB, 759x461px
>>54166969
I'm not sure yet, i haven't done the quests yet

In my mind the quest structure is going to be similar to new vegas
>character goes to place
>character gets to decide whom to ally with
>characters help out factions
>political stuff happens
>final battle happens

So what i want my players to do is to go to faction places and get quests from there that lead them to crawl dungeons, fetch things, resolve conflicts, reparing things, etc

Every factions have different goals, some are supposed to others and some can be made to ally with different factions

>richmond rangers were peacekeepers of the regions before sole survivor teleported synths and institute supermutants into the city
>IVA wants economic and technological advancement and has issues with the BoS of that region because they harass them
>green thorns are like the IVA, but more militant and violent (maybe because of drug issues in their territory i don't know yet)
>they trade with the IVA but also steal supplies from them, theres also a lotta potential conflict because of economic issues between those two alliances
>silus wants to not get assasinated by Caesar and builds up his own legion, can either be decimated or powered up with technology from Vault 100 and an alliance with the green thorns
>The forces of the Overboss are the big bads, players will either be able to ally with them or they'll have to fight them

Overboss is like in Fo4, a charismatic soft spoken person who also is a mass murdering monster (in the dlc atleast)
He'll have (possibly) teamed up with the lone wanderer who has years after Broken steel gone on a murderous rampage because either he's been infected with some form of the trogg disease or because of other reasons

Thats all i have for now atleast
>>
Anyone got any fallout minis to post?
>>
>>54156894

>Declared themselves going rogue
>celebrating the 4th
>>
How do you properly represent, as a GM, a game based more on the original game to people that only played and liked New Vegas?
>>
>>54169930
New Vegas fans are a good group for this. Primm, Novac, and Goodsprings if transplanted into F1&2 would fit right in I think. New Vegas caught the spirit of the orginials really well, so if your half decent in world building they should latch right on to it.
>>
>>54169930
what >>54170062 said, a lot of the original team were on hand for NV so it captures the spirit of things from the original. I.E. rebuilding the world while making its old mistakes even though the landscape is irrevocably twisted into a new shape.
>>
>>54163925
I like how much thought they obviously put into making it look so scraped together - some of those parts are recognizable machine parts, like the lamp head for the visor. Maybe it was also tactly recognizing that if the armor was simple enough for the PC to know how to use it and repair it within the first five minutes of the game, even raiders could do it.

Part of me still doesn't like how Fallout 4 has handled power armor, particularly the fusion core bit, but otherwise its size and design has grown on me. Especially know that I've tried a little of Fallout 1 and can see how physically large Power Armor is supposed to be.

Also, either New Vegas is a really great game or I'm a really bad player, because I can't bring myself to make any major choices. Every faction has good things and flaws about them, and there's no option that I like best.
>>
>>54171323
The visual and the world design for fallout 4 is great its just that a lot of the questing and game design is awful
>>
>>54163911
Cute!
>>
>>54163618
You should probably make it so you can actually read it without growing a brain tumor.
>>
File: wastoid4.jpg (333KB, 567x872px) Image search: [Google]
wastoid4.jpg
333KB, 567x872px
>>54163907
I honestly think that the environment designers, concept/character artists, etc, are really really good. It's the actual writers and world-builders, if they even have real ones, that suck cock. I was watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVyjRhSX92E this again, and he makes an interesting point, that it seems like Bethesda doesn't actually have a team of writers dedicated to making the side-quests and world, and instead just has everyone make up little goofy ideas that seem cool.

Bethesda doesn't deserve such good artists.
The only fuckups they had were the Assault Rifle and Synth Armor in FO4.
>>
>>54172003
Thats good advice
>>
File: wastoidinterior1.jpg (821KB, 1600x662px) Image search: [Google]
wastoidinterior1.jpg
821KB, 1600x662px
>>54167944
They went rogue because of some scumbag evil scientists. Also, you can be the biggest American Patriot who ever lived, and absolutely hate the government. In fact, the more patriotic an American is, the more likely he is to hate the government...
>>
>>54172059
Otherwise though, yeah, it's pretty good. Just really ugly.
>>
File: 04920880.jpg (32KB, 552x514px) Image search: [Google]
04920880.jpg
32KB, 552x514px
>>54166839
>which serves as a source for "evil" quests
Bethesda writers get out of my thread.
>>
>>54172360
Don't push the moral relativist meme in a game that has a karma system
>>
File: 1411097529162.png (91KB, 250x274px) Image search: [Google]
1411097529162.png
91KB, 250x274px
>>54154480
>prewaramerican1.jpg
>AK
>>
>>54172730
It looks too cool to not be American.
>>
>>54172443
Caesar and most of his high-ranking officers are neutral though, except for Vulpes. The Legion is not entierely evil.
>>
>>54171323
>Also, either New Vegas is a really great game or I'm a really bad player, because I can't bring myself to make any major choices. Every faction has good things and flaws about them, and there's no option that I like best.
I am in the same situation. For the moment I have decided to explore and do the add-on quests. Honest Hearts is pretty damn good.
>>
>>54173365
If you play a courier that goes Legion you'll almost always end up evil or very evil

Except if you purposely farm fiends in the unpatched version
>>
>>54166839
How exactly does Silus defect? His fate is determined by the PCs actions in NV. If they side with the NCR he remains in captivity, which asks the question, how does he escape? And if the player sides with the Legion and frees Silus he returns to Caesars to be punished for being captured.

Caesar says himself:
>Silus dishonored himself when he let himself be captured, and he'll pay the price for that. But the NCR didn't learn anything valuable.
>You freed the Centurion Silus from McCarran so that he might be punished for his cowardice.

Even if he isn't killed as punishment his rank and reputation would be stripped. There's no way he'd be allowed to lead men. And it makes even less sense that he'd be able to convince any number of Legionaries to abandon the Legion.

The raider empire things will leave a bad taste in the players mouth, as the Sole Survivor going renegade and destroying all other factions doesn't make any sense. More so if the Disciples are one of his chosen raider gangs.

Setting it after NV means that you need to resolve the conflict out West, if the players go out there. Does the Legion win? Does the NCR win? Does house win and both the Legion and NCR collapse?

Also, to be frank, the whole concept of "evil" factions in Fallout is retarded Todd Howard shit. In the real Fallout games, i.e. the ones set out West, there aren't any 'evil' factions. There are groups that are self-interested, but there can be a logical case made for every one. Even the Master's Army, even the Enclave, even Caesar's Legion.

And the whole concept of Karma as just a 1 axis alignment scale is also flawed. Karma in Fallout 1/2 was "general reputation", not a score of whether your character is going to heaven or hell. A reputation system in general is very gamey. It's necessary in a videogame, but not at the table. As GM you can alter interactions by fiat to much better reflect the player's actions than any sort of numerical system can, no matter how complicated.
>>
>>54172049
Something I can't prove, though I suspect it, is that somehow Bethesda's writers don't really know how to create a story that actually involves the player - the more they distance their writing from player interaction, the better it seems to be.

Goofy scenarios aren't bad if they're done correctly and aren't everything. They can be good for roleplaying purposes or adding character to the setting.
>>
>>54173782
>How exactly does Silus defect? His fate is determined by the PCs actions in NV. If they side with the NCR he remains in captivity, which asks the question, how does he escape? And if the player sides with the Legion and frees Silus he returns to Caesars to be punished for being captured.

Caesar says himself:
>Silus dishonored himself when he let himself be captured, and he'll pay the price for that. But the NCR didn't learn anything valuable.
>You freed the Centurion Silus from McCarran so that he might be punished for his cowardice.

Even if he isn't killed as punishment his rank and reputation would be stripped. There's no way he'd be allowed to lead men. And it makes even less sense that he'd be able to convince any number of Legionaries to abandon the Legion.

Well my idea was that he had a bunch of legionaires who after the defeat at the battle of hoover dam pt2 were dissatisfied with Caesars rule. Maybe they were from his own unit that would make sense from my point of view.
He could have had informants in the legion who offered deserters - theres bound to be deserters after the ending of Hoover dam - a new chance in a new Legion. They'd then travel west.

The raider empire things will leave a bad taste in the players mouth, as the Sole Survivor going renegade and destroying all other factions doesn't make any sense. More so if the Disciples are one of his chosen raider gangs.

>The raider empire things will leave a bad taste in the players mouth, as the Sole Survivor going renegade and destroying all other factions doesn't make any sense. More so if the Disciples are one of his chosen raider gangs.

Why does it not make any sense? Its one of the "endings" in the game.

>
Setting it after NV means that you need to resolve the conflict out West, if the players go out there. Does the Legion win? Does the NCR win? Does house win and both the Legion and NCR collapse?

House wins and -cont
>>
>>54173782
>>54173960
House wins and the Courier does science stuff in Big MT

This isn't supposed to be a big deal since the game i'm planning to play is going to be East Coast, but maybe they'll meet a traveler who can inform them about whats going on in California.

>Also, to be frank, the whole concept of "evil" factions in Fallout is retarded Todd Howard shit. In the real Fallout games, i.e. the ones set out West, there aren't any 'evil' factions. There are groups that are self-interested, but there can be a logical case made for every one. Even the Master's Army, even the Enclave, even Caesar's Legion.

Theres Raiders, Fo1 has Gizmo and his Goons, Decker and a bunch of others

Just take a peek at the endings of those games and theres plenty of "bad" or "evil" options in there

>And the whole concept of Karma as just a 1 axis alignment scale is also flawed. Karma in Fallout 1/2 was "general reputation", not a score of whether your character is going to heaven or hell. A reputation system in general is very gamey. It's necessary in a videogame, but not at the table. As GM you can alter interactions by fiat to much better reflect the player's actions than any sort of numerical system can, no matter how complicated.

That is something i could do, but for the sake of simplicity i pefer Karma and notes on how the players are doing with the factions - probably a -10 to 10 scale or something like that
>>
>>54173960
>They'd then travel west.
meant east of course
>>
>>54174005
I think your ideas on karma make some sense - whether you're known as being cruel or good can affect initial relations with factions even if you form a better relationship with them than your overall karma suggests. You could try and mix in some elements of hitmen who try to hunt you down if you're particularly evil to enough people, or you could have particularly good-karma'd people get an initial reputation boost with some factions, or avoid suspicion.

It's never going to be perfect, but I think it's better to meld the two ideas than to leave them separate, and it adds some interest for the player - they have to not only chose what sort of character they're going to be, but what sort of relationship they'll have with other factions. They can be an absolute dick working for a saintly faction, but it's harder. They can be a goodie two-shoes that manages to reform an 'evil' faction from the inside, but it's very difficult.
>>
>>54174307
>It's never going to be perfect, but I think it's better to meld the two ideas than to leave them separate, and it adds some interest for the player - they have to not only chose what sort of character they're going to be, but what sort of relationship they'll have with other factions. They can be an absolute dick working for a saintly faction, but it's harder. They can be a goodie two-shoes that manages to reform an 'evil' faction from the inside, but it's very difficult.

I agree
>>
>>54173960
>Maybe they were from his own unit that would make sense from my point of view.
Even if the Legion is falling apart, they're still Legionaries and have been raised in that culture. Anyone who dishonors himself is lower than a slave. If they wanted to form a new Legion they'd rally around someone who's known to be tough and smart, not an incompetent coward. The concept itself isn't all that bad (2000+ miles is pretty far though), but the leader being Silus specifically makes absolutely no sense. Why not have it be another Centurion? Why does it have to be the Legion?

Since they're disconnected from the now, presumably, defeated Legion all adding Legion remnants adds is brand recognition.

>Why does it not make any sense? Its one of the "endings" in the game.
More an issue of Beth writing in general. Why would a Lawyer or a Veteran who's a family man join a gang of raiders and give favor to the ones who decorate their houses with defiled corpses and torture people for fun?

At least the other four factions kinda make sense. Brotherhood and Railroad are revenge on the Institute, Institute is to have a relationship with Shaun, Minute Men are because the SS might not fit with the ideology of either group.

But why would (s)he join the Raiders?

>Theres Raiders, Fo1 has Gizmo and his Goons, Decker and a bunch of others
The Khans and Underworld are obviously just gangs. Gizmo's ending for junktown is arguably better than Killian's. The only completely irredeemable faction is the slavers, but that's one (1) out of over two dozen.

> probably a -10 to 10 scale or something like that
Again. Very gamey. How does everyone telepathically know who's naught and nice? Karma in New Vegas has almost no effect on gameplay.

>whats going on in California.
What is going on in California?
>>
>>54174425
>> probably a -10 to 10 scale or something like that
>Again. Very gamey. How does everyone telepathically know who's naught and nice? Karma in New Vegas has almost no effect on gameplay.
Other than a few lines from your brain and whether or not the Toaster survives in OWB seem to be the only time Karma mattered.
>>
File: proudtobefree.png (232KB, 754x718px) Image search: [Google]
proudtobefree.png
232KB, 754x718px
>>54174425
>Even if the Legion is falling apart, they're still Legionaries and have been raised in that culture. Anyone who dishonors himself is lower than a slave. If they wanted to form a new Legion they'd rally around someone who's known to be tough and smart, not an incompetent coward.
Thats a really good point.
> Why not have it be another Centurion? Why does it have to be the Legion?
Because i like the idea of having a competing "evil" faction for the raider empire
They're also not a big deal within the main quest so far - most of the factions want to wipe them out
>>54166150
and they have problems with the Overbosses people because they are better equipped and have a better shot at being backed up

>Since they're disconnected from the now, presumably, defeated Legion all adding Legion remnants adds is brand recognition.

The legion isn't defeated, they still control Arizona after losing the battle at Hoover dam. They're disgraced however and i think it's nice to show that in a game

>But why would (s)he join the Raiders?
Because of greed and lots of mental issues. I think after killing a couple thousand raiders and innocents, losing your wife and son and watching how incompetent most people in the Commonwealth are, most people would go insane. Same happened with the Lone Wanderer in my mind. Got fucked up and infected with trogg and is now a psycho most of the time

They'd both be reasonable people when talked to properly ( Lone Wanderer would have times where he can talk freely without trogg agression, SS might see reason if you confront him with how much misery he's brought upon people)

>Again. Very gamey. How does everyone telepathically know who's naught and nice? Karma in New Vegas has almost no effect on gameplay.

Dude i need to record how they are doing in the game. If i give them a fuckhuge quest that makes them known within faction structures it's perfectly okay to have a scale for that. Also i'm not going to do brain gymnastics for - cont
>>
>>54174587
how x action should affect y percentage of a factions population

Thats way too complicated and i've got enough to worry about already.

Having something simple to engage the players and make my life easy is enough for me
>>
>>54172049
Yeah, having the AR as a main rifle and completely mixing up the AIR COOLED Lewis gun with a water cooled Maxim was retarded.

>>54164688
So the legplates used to go all the way to the feet?
>>54155902
>>54156894
Boomers would love any excuse to make more explosions.
>>
File: c0135199_50b092a3be2e5.png (56KB, 702x1038px) Image search: [Google]
c0135199_50b092a3be2e5.png
56KB, 702x1038px
>>54174621
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/19681/?
They're shown on loading screens and when you inspect them in your inventory. Along with the Lever Action's reload and every other issue still present in the game it just reeks of both lazyness and incompetence on Bethesda's part.
>>
File: killian.jpg (103KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
killian.jpg
103KB, 640x480px
>>54174587
>a competing "evil" faction
The whole concept of good and evil factions is flawed. Every group should have a different ideology with pros and cons, not a different number of cats saved from trees. It should be a total toss up for which faction the players join. If you want to keep the spirit of the originals, there should be compelling reasons to join every single group.

>Because of greed and lots of mental issues. Got fucked up and infected with trogg and is now a psycho most of the time

If the SS was just greedy, had no moral compass, and thought everyone in the Commonwealth was retarded then he'd join the Institute. There's no way the raiders can match the wealth and power that an army of teleporting robots would bring.

Also the LW going crazy with Trog doesn't make sense either because at the end of the Pitt the cure was already in development. After 10+ years they still havent figured it out? And given that he's absent in Fallout 4 it'd make more sense to just not have him show up.

>Dude i need to record how they are doing in the game.
But if the players haven't done any quests that made them a known name/face with a given faction/town why would they have any preconceived notions about who the players are? Wouldn't the PCs just be random wastelanders to NPCs unless they've heard otherwise? How can you tell by looking at someone if they're good or bad?

In FO1 the only things that gave karma were completing quests that everyone would hear about.

>Having something simple to engage the players
If your players need a numerical system to tell them how nice they are you should probably get new ones.
>>
>>54175452
> If you want to keep the spirit of the originals, there should be compelling reasons to join every single group.
Sorry but no, that's not how the originals worked at all. Have you played Fallout 1? Killian was obviously the good guy by all accounts, the only reason to side with Gizmo would be if you didn't care about morality and wanted more money. All of the raiders are just plain old bad guys, who you would only side with for role-playing purposes or to make more money.

The originals had bad guys. The bad guys were more fleshed out and sensical than the psycho-cannibal junkie raiders of 3 and 4, but they were still bad guys. The Legion is obviously evil, but they have a reason to be, but they are still evil.
>>
>>54175595
But siding with Gizmo results in an overall better ending.
>>
>>54175452
>If the SS was just greedy, had no moral compass, and thought everyone in the Commonwealth was retarded then he'd join the Institute. There's no way the raiders can match the wealth and power that an army of teleporting robots would bring.

Why not both?
>>
>>54175452
To be fair, anon mentioned the SS teleporting Synths and Super Mutants on top of enemies to fuck them up. So it seems he's both Head of the Institute and Overboss, which makes sense in a way. Both factions wouldn't want anything to do with each other's respective domains, and the SS as leader would keep them both from trying to without his permission.
>>
>>54175595
Here are the original endings for Junktown. They were later changed for marketing reasons to establish a clearer good/bad dichotomy. These were the writers original visions for Junktown.

Killian
>With Gizmo out of the way, Killian enforces his brand of frontier justice on Junktown. The city remains orderly but small, as travelers steer away from his rigid sensibilities.

Gizmo
>Under Gizmo's leadership, Junktown becomes a trading center and resort, where people come from miles around to gamble, spend money and enjoy themselves in relative safety. Gizmo keeps the town prosperous but healthy, as he has no desire to injure his own affluence. The inhabitants of the town become wealthy and famous.

You tell me which is better.

>The originals had bad guys. The bad guys were more fleshed out and sensical than the psycho-cannibal junkie raiders of 3 and 4, but they were still bad guys. The Legion is obviously evil, but they have a reason to be, but they are still evil.

That's what I'm saying. The Khan raiders are just criminals and thugs. Not lunatics who wear pots and pans and torture people to death for fun.

The main villains written by the original team weren't irredeemable. The Master's plan made a lot of sense, excluding the infertility which he didn't know about. Even the Enclaves plan could lead to a better future. They both thought that the ends justified the means.

And the "good guys" aren't so good either. The Brotherhood is secretive and insular, hoarding technology. The NCR is corrupt, oppressive, and bureaucratic. The Followers are naive and stretched so thin on supplies that they're ineffectual.
>>
>>54176229
>So it seems he's both Head of the Institute and Overboss, which makes sense in a way
The Institute wants to keep the Commonwealth impoverished and destabilized so nobody can rally against them. A giant army of unified Raiders goes against this. Even with the SS as Boss who's to say that the Raiders wouldn't mutiny? One of the Nuka World's gangs already rebelled when they weren't given territory.

Wouldn't they be pissed if they found out he with the Institodd hoarding priceless tech?

And what the Institute itself? He already lacks legitimacy, and the other directors look upon him skeptically because of his lack of scientific education. Wouldn't they look at him in an even worse light if he spent half his time running an army of rapists and thugs?

Who's to say they also wouldn't mutiny, and just teleport him out with no way back in?
>>
Playing Fo2 I'm really hating the lack of a no-knockback no-ammo-use melee/unarmed weapon.

Why did they make the powerfist burn ammo and the Super-sledge not?
>>
>>54177447
E-Cells are really pretty plentiful. You better have jinxed and be aiming for the eyes.
>>
>>54166117
>>54166130
>>54166143
Holy fuck wait you live in Richmond? Got a lot of lads who would like to work with you from Fredericksburg, Sylvania and Richmond
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 80

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.