[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Roll20 groups

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3248.png (21KB, 550x150px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3248.png
21KB, 550x150px
What are the odds of finding a good group on this? I just moved and don't know anyone around me irl who's into rp.
>>
Please don't be one of the shitters that join and leave games constantly while looking for "the one".
That said, not likely. Every time you find a good game, some shitter is going to leave after three or four sessions, if they even bother to show up at all.
>>
>>54098534
It is one in a million. Look through the LFGs and find a DM who actually put effort into recruiting. A good DM will attract good players.
>>
>>54098534
I check roll20 for interesting games twice a month and have been doing so since the beginning of last year. I played in a game for about 8 months last year, everything went pretty well and the campaign was fun if a bit short for my taste. One person flaked but was replaced.

I joined another game just last month. The GM is new, but pretty much everyone in the group is cool. Literally zero complaints.

May or may not be related to the fact that I avoid DND, but I honestly don't know why everyone makes it sound to be terrible, it really isn't. No different from finding roleplayers in person.
>>
>>54098534
If you're looking for D&D3.5/PF games, odds are bad.
Other games, the odds are way better.
>>
>>54099755
I can confirm this. I've only had positive experiences on this platform and avoid D&D like the plague.
>>
>>54098534
Finding good players is pretty easy. Now the next part depends on what you want group to be. If you're just looking for people to play with for a campaign and that's it, you won't have any problem finding that. Now if you're looking for a group to stick with for several campaigns and possibly become friends outside the game is pretty low.

But if you have fun playing with certain players be sure to try and get a way to contact them once the campaign is over so you can play with them again.

Just take your time and read the campaign description to see if you'll like it or not. You can usually pick out bad campaigns by the DMs post and the people interested in playing.
>>
>>54098534
DC 14
>>
Rolled 9 (1d20)

>>54100656
>>
Not OP but similar situation. I'm a big fan of the session 0 concept and find the idea of submitting a character rather than discussing what the rest of the party is going to roll up first really offputting. Is that just something hardcoded into r20 and GMs let the party change things later, or do people really end up using those characters?
>>
>>54098534
Extremely unlikely.

All the good games are private and arranged by friends from outside of Roll20. The public ones are for people desperate for play, the ones who get regularly kicked out of or flake out of other games, or are dumb gimmick games with way too many players.
>>
>>54098534

You can find good groups on Roll20 and other sites, but it takes a while.

But you don't join public games for the games themselves- If they're fun, that's a bonus, but it's far from reliable. You join them for the networking.

Join games and meet people, get to know good players and good GMs, as well as how to spot bad ones. Make those connections and keep doing it.

Eventually, you'll know enough good people with similar enough playstyles that you'll have a good, consistent group you can enjoy.

The trouble with public groups is that they're often made or filled by the kind of players who can't keep a consistent group, so a lot of public games are going to suck. The occasional few don't, but you're still better off focusing on networking. If you stumble into a good group on the off chance, having friends you can bring in to fill slots in new games is still an asset.
>>
>>54102425
I'm in 6 roll20 games, and have never submitted a character. Most of the time we either make something during session 0, or have a short conversation sometime before session 1 and then make a character on our own to be ready by session 1.

But I don't play d&d, so YMMV.
>>
File: 1494182753278.gif (171KB, 296x296px) Image search: [Google]
1494182753278.gif
171KB, 296x296px
>>54098534
Not great, here's what will happen:
You'll find a game, and dislike the DM who has no idea what he's doing and one player will never show up or talk. The game will dissolve.
Game 2 will have a competent DM, but only you and one other guy shows up. Dissolves, but you keep in tact with the DM.
Game 3 you and the old DM join together, again a shitty DM and some real douchey players but one likes you and your old DM buddy.
You three now form a group, DM begins to DM again after learning more and being inspired to improve by having some buddies in a personal group who want to play.
You'll open a game as a trio looking for 2-3 new players. The first sessions 2 will leave. After a couple months the second leaves, but the first leaver has been replaced by a staple player. Now the group is your group of 4 good friendly players and the DM who works with y'all and a rotating slot the DM occasionally opens up in hopes of finding someone good.

Its gonna suck shit but eventually you'll have that group, you'll pick up people and end up making a group of your own to either play or run. I was in the player turned DM situation myself and my groups been going for three years still with that one ever changing player slot.
>>
>>54104362
Seems like a lot of work.
>>
>>54105659

If you want to find a good group reliably, that's what it takes.
>>
>>54105701
Yup.
>>
>>54105701
Too true. Everyone is flaky or awful on that site. But once you shake the flakes off, there will still be some good clinging on. What I would recommend at the very least if you don't want to have a game that is entirely a revolving door is interviewing dudes and asking them a lot of questions, while generally chatting. People who simply don't care wouldn't bother.
>>
Rolled 6 + 4 (1d20 + 4)

>>54100656
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.