[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did you realise Dungeon World was garbage?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: dungeon-world.png (172KB, 500x211px) Image search: [Google]
dungeon-world.png
172KB, 500x211px
>playing arbitrary world
>Walking through an empty plain
>Roll to discern realities
>Pass on a 9
>Ask What should I be on the lookout for?
>Suddenly raptors
>Raptors burrowing out of the ground, raptors paratrooping from the sky , raptors leaping from a planar vortex
>Roll defy danger to run away
>Pass on a 7
>A million bears suddenly appears blocking my path
>Truly baby's first RPG.
>>
>>54097948

This bait is so low quality I'm giving it a pity bump. If you wanted to actually shit on it, you'd do well to say that it completely misses the feeling of accumulating power and progression of an actual dungeon crawler game.
>>
>Playing Dungeon World
>Not World of Dungeons
>>
>>54100343
Yeah but it's not like those usual D&D garbage threads are any better.
>>
>>54100343
>>54100343
>>54100343

To be fair I think there is a mass of people that do actually think it works like that.
>>
GM with 22 years experience here. (22 of GMing, more of playing).

Use Dungeon World system, but use it in your own setting. Just steal the core of the rules, if you're a regular dm/gm I'm sure you know how to do that.

It's 2d6+appropriate mod, 6- = fail with consequences 7-9 = success but with consequences, 10+ = pure success.

Only players roll.

It is one of THE greatest systems I have ever played. The entire dw book is like a manual on how to be a great gm. The only bad advice I found in there was to split up your players as a 'move' you can make. That's always a terrible idea, unless its VERY temporary, like split them up but in the same room, to solve a trap puzzle.

Other than that, no warnings

The system is built to make amazing narrative with very even pacing and lots of interaction.

Let your players make up as much or as little as you like while still having as much control as GM as you want - but if you're stuck for an idea or etc. you can actually ask a player 'what is here?' or 'why is that?' and have what they say become reality.

I know what I'm saying isn't going to make complete sense without having read the rule book but trust me - its worth your time.

The rule book reads pretty bland and unappealing, that's VERY deceptive. I wasn't impressed by the actual book itself -- until I actually TRIED the system.

Blew me away.

I almost feel like I could never go back to a pass-fail dice system ever again. (Like anything d20, or d100.)

Another system I bought where players do all the rolling is cypher system but I haven't tried it yet.

But seriously check out dungeon world: www.dungeonworldsrd.com
>>
File: 1496885046971.jpg (141KB, 803x688px) Image search: [Google]
1496885046971.jpg
141KB, 803x688px
>>54097948
Got a Kek outta me, good one OP.
>>
>>54097948
ALL PbtA games are pretentious hipster piles of shit. DW just happens to be one of the worst.
>>
>>54103785
Apocalypse World itself isn't that bad, but its mechanics don't work well at all for the dungeon crawl stuff.
>>
>>54101859
Hi Sage!
>>
>>54103803
Apocalypse World is fine, the problem is the system draws in creatively bankrupt hipsters worse then the D20 OGL ever did.
Like out of all the games on the PbtA system which ones are actually good?

>Apocalypse World
>Blades in the Dark
The Sprawl and The Veil are apparently good but I've yet to play them.
4 / 100 is not a good ratio.
>>
>>54097948
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb1ZvUDvLDY (You)
>>
>>54101859
>The only bad advice I found in there was to split up your players as a 'move' you can make. That's always a terrible idea, unless its VERY temporary, like split them up but in the same room, to solve a trap puzzle.

I always interpreted it as something like a chasm opens up between the characters, monsters block them off, or they have to sleep in separate rooms, rather than a long-term "split the party".

It does give the example of teleporting someone to the opposite end of the dungeon, which seems shitty. It's far too hard a move.
>>
>>54101859
This and the website you posted is full of cringe.

Someone give me actual facts about the system
>>
>>54104101
It's "fall forward": all rolls are meaningful to the story, and if you fail you'll get on ahead anyway but with complications.

That's really all you need to know.

And it might even be your thing. Hell, it's basically the same principle as in Burning Wheel, and I like Burning Wheel.
>>
Apocalypse World is fucking good, but people only mention Dungeon World, which sucks.
>>
>>54104101
D&D ability scores, all task resolution is 2d6+modifier. 10+ means a good thing happens, 7-9 means an okay thing happens, 6- means a bad thing happens.

There are specific rules for these results when a character does a common action, like attacking or examining an object. There are D&D classes and they get more specific actions that you'd expect.

Lots of emphasis on partial successes, hard choices, and keeping the game moving even when someone fails a roll.

Other than that it's basically D&D (hit points, spells, rations, goblins).
>>
>>54104101
Just kill yourself my man, there is no saving you at this point.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.