[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Druid War

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1498600978775.jpg (291KB, 800x1067px) Image search: [Google]
1498600978775.jpg
291KB, 800x1067px
What would a war against druids look like? If they're the provocateur what could anyone do to stop them?

It's a war against civilization. Nature itself would be against us.

I can see dogs sticking by our side. "Man's best friend" and all that. I could also see cats not giving a fuck. But most other animals would fall under druidic spells.

Trees could be animated to attack. Druids polymorphed into rats could sneak into a town at night and slit the townsfolks' throats.

Imagine the movie Birds but on a large scale, with eagles, rocs even.

What other things could they do? What possible countermeasure could be taken against them?
>>
>>54089688
In our DM's own setting, this scenario caused the apocalypse. Afterwards all our adventures took place in a verdant green world full of ruins and shit. It was pretty great.

I don't think they could be stopped, realistically speaking. It's better to set the game to the aftermath.
>>
I read some good OSR stuff on this once:

goblinpunch.blogspot.co.nz/2014/09/7-myths-everyone-believes-about-druids.html

goblinpunch.blogspot.co.nz/2016/06/nature-is-horrible.html

But basically yes fighting a serious group of powerful druids would be horrible.
>>
Goblin Punch was the seed for this a while back, but I'm going to be running this war saturday and while I personally believe it'll lead to an apocalypse, I'm more curious as to just how difficult it's going to be. If they're fighting a losing battle, what can they hope to save?
>>
>>54090130
>If they're fighting a losing battle, what can they hope to save?
Depends. What do the druids actually want?
>>
I don't think it's anything specific. If you've read the goblin punch articles, he talks about how they just resent civilization. That's the basis for the war.

Simple backstory is that there was a crusade that is similar to WWI in nature. Brutal, lots of casualties. And now, with the land scarred and civilization growing bigger, they're rebelling.
>>
>>54089736

I read into those blogposts. Some nice thoughts to get away from the treehugger druids.

The whole "druids hate language" thing is utterly retarded though. Seems like the writer had a VERY limited perspective of what language is. Heck, even fucking trees can communicate somewhat (even though very rudimentary), but so fucking many animals talk/ communicate with each other, ignoring that is just dumb.

War is decided by many factors, but two of the most important are numbers and power. Especially numbers.

If your setting has a huge number of druids AND they're able to organize themself accordingly (which would go against multiple concepts layed out in the articles), it can get ugly. Just like any other war.

Power in this context means their druidic spellcasting and how strong it is compared to arcane spellcasting and technology. If it's extremly OP, Druids could do well with lower numbers. It's easy to say "they could utilize this and that, or X and Y,...." but it's another thing to think about how much of it they could actually use at the same time. Animate a tree to attack? Sure. Animate a whole forest? Very different level. Same goes for any other ressource druids might use.
>>
>>54089688
Druids don't hate civilization, not any more than they hate chaos.
>>
>>54090591
The writer literally comments on this below the post m8.

>Destroy all the cities! Now there's a great idea. The death of higher-level comprehension and a blissful return to instincts. Druids can finally stop teaching language to their children. That idea gets the druid lick of approval.

>Actually, the druids are right about one thing--there are some things in Centerra that are dangerous to comprehend. See also, the Book of Tigers, or the Madness of Avool.

>When the world ends, it won't be because of wolves and ducks and field mice got together and opened the door to something terrible. It will be People Who Wrote Shit Down.

>(It's comprehension and semiotics that druids abhor, because these things are a blight on the natural world in the same way that necromancy is. Wolf "language" is a lower order language--those are just remembered associations. Wolves don't combine abstract symbols in their heads to form new expressions; they just react to semi-taught, semi-instinctual association.)

>Like, if someone asks you what three times five is, and you answer, you aren't just trading blunt Pavlovian responses, you're doing a lot of high-level shit in your brain.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.