[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Universal Wargame System

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: HELP-or-Something.jpg (45KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
HELP-or-Something.jpg
45KB, 450x300px
Looking for a universal wargame system, ie; a system that contains rules for building an army and playing a game, but allows you to buy the models you want for it.

Either a scifi, or at least modern to postmodern setting, or ideally anything like:
>Ætherverse
or
>AETHERVERSE
as it's also known.

Now I know what your about to say: Why not just go with Ætherverse? Well, I'm not sure how much fun I can have with the 3 other people on this planet who actually use that system.

Ideally, it should also be a popular set of rules so I can actually play a game with someone.
>>
Maybe De Bellis wargames?
For example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Bellis_Multitudinis
>>
>>54088888
Hmmm Rouge Stars by Osprey might be what you are looking for but that is skirmish.
>>
I remember when Ætherverse was first released. I was really excited. There was a revised 2nd edition. That was over a decade ago... wow.

Miniatures gamers care about miniatures and "support". They don't really care about rules since it's just a pretense to play with dolls and express their ego. Roleplayers care about rules, but that's because they use the rules to make snowflakes and express their egos.
>>
Why not try open combat ? I think there are some rules kicking around for firearms for it but it's so open ou can homebrew anything you like, and it has a fairly good following with historical /alternative gamers.
>>
>>54088888
Nice repeating digits. I'll suggest Nodal Wars, the guy running that is constantly converting stuff to the system and has codified a method of doing so yourself.
>>
File: 1454434569288.jpg (145KB, 591x559px) Image search: [Google]
1454434569288.jpg
145KB, 591x559px
>>54092850
>Miniatures gamers care about miniatures and "support". They don't really care about rules since it's just a pretense to play with dolls and express their ego. Roleplayers care about rules, but that's because they use the rules to make snowflakes and express their egos.
That's terribly depressing
>>
FUBAR works well for any setting. From Sci-fi to ancient rome
>>
Tomorrow's War
>>
>>54091207
No, modern setting is as low as I'll go.
13c is not what I'm looking for,
but thanks for the suggestion anyway.
>>
>>54092850
Don't get me wrong, I'd likely fall under the snowflake side on this. Though, I have another reason for this. I'm a cheap faggot. Being able to buy the cheapest models while still being able to partake in a wargame is where I'm currently at.
>>
File: 1463450248096.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1463450248096.gif
2MB, 500x500px
>>54094283

Well if that's the game we're playing: http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/07/30/meditations-on-moloch/
>>
>>54094306
>>54097076
Will look into

>>54093116
link / url / source?
>>
>>54097076
Was going to suggest this. Rules are a tricky read at first but its a good, fun game that works great for imagi-nation games
>>
File: Grognard.jpg (92KB, 512x379px) Image search: [Google]
Grognard.jpg
92KB, 512x379px
>>54092850
Me
>>54094283
>>54098469
First a post about Ætherverse and now a reference to LessWrong style rationalism. It's like looking back at a long journey, and remembering a time when I gave a shit about most other people.
>>54098339
I haven't looked into in a long time, but I remember lead-adventure.de being a place I would get inspiration from. They would typically assemble a skirmish sized pile of miniature in a specific theme and uses one of their prefered flexible rules systems and play out their own scenarios. Almost RPG-like without the leveling and actual roleplaying. "A Song of Blade and Heroes" was fairly popular.

Personally I play boardgames because that seems to be the only niche of people who actually care about the rules not sucking. Most boardgames suck, but at least there are attempts to make games that don't suck. You can still pick games with minis and paint them. I've enjoyed BloodBowl, BattleLore (1st Ed.), Melee/Wizard, and Ogre/GEV. In the last few years I'm mostly concentrated on making my own stuff.
>>
>>54088888
Battletech, unless I misread what you mean by building. Battletech has pretty comprehensive rules for building custom units.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.