[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I magnetize?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: magnets_forgefiend2.jpg (90KB, 829x553px) Image search: [Google]
magnets_forgefiend2.jpg
90KB, 829x553px
I'm just getting into WH40k, and am wondering how important it is to magnetize your guys. I come from an art background, so I wanna try avoiding it as much as I can and keep each big model essentially a finished work.

I don't know jack shit about actual gameplay yet, but will I be totally fucked if I can't switch out weapons on certain models? Or will it really only be a slight disadvantage? Not interested in competition beyond my local store's ladder.
>>
>>54086645
Magnitizing saves you tons of money. Especially right now with a new edition, no one will be certain what is good / worth taking / fun to play, and you don't really want to buy whole new models / try to take them apart if you make a wrong weapon choice.
>>
>>54086645
Magnetizing is cheap and simple and will save you effort, frustration and money down the line

If you don't magnetize now you'll kick yourself later.
>>
>>54086792
>>54086825
Good to know, thanks for the info. I'll keep looking for some good tutorials then
>>
>>54086920
You drill a hole (using a rotary tool preferably) and then glue a magnet in there. Greenstuff is helpful, make sure the polarity is correct and consistent across all your interchangeable parts.
>>
>>54086645
If you dont magnetise now you will want to magnetise later and have to take apart your model .
And that would be very troublesome.

Get your self a pin vise and an electronic hand drill with lots of drills in various sizes.
When drilling always start with a small sized drill and increase the drill size until you reach the final drill size. Dont try to drill a big hole with a big drill straight away.

Another thing to mention is check out online guides for specific miniatures. You may find usefull info. And lastly , always dry fit the magnets first before gluing them in place and try not to use magnets over 15mms in diameter and smaller than 2mms in diameter
In neomydium magnets there is such a thing as too strong and too weak.
>>
If you're desperate about being competitive and staying ahead of the meta, sure. If you just want to run fun fluffy armies, then no. Though if you're looking for something competitive then 40k might not be a great idea.
>>
>>54086955
Fucking polarity.

I magnetized a carnifex and got exactly one of the shoulders the wrong way around and didn't notice until it was finished, painted and based.

I had to knock it in to the cavity inside the model with a punch and mallet because it was exactly flush inside a tight fitting hole and backed with green stuff which it was also superglued to.
>>
>>54087037
Do yourself a favor and build a magnetizing tool. A piece of sprue, with a magnet on each end with opposing polarities facing out. One side for the body, one side for whatever is being magnetized to it.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.