[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Using d100/d%'s

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Dados100.jpg (34KB, 480x358px) Image search: [Google]
Dados100.jpg
34KB, 480x358px
Greetings, /tg/. This might be what is my first post ever made in this board despite having browsed it for a long time now. My issue comes as is:

Lately, I have been dealing with the necessity to create my own systems for various different settings and platforms, mostly to deviate from the most dominant d20 and d10 systems that are either not too much of my liking or have been somewhat repeatedly. Thus, I was trying to make something of my own.

So I had the great idea to use d100's as a main element for my various systems. My question here is: What do you all think could be advantageous for using them? I know some percentual systems and a thread was made the other day regarding the topic, but it didn't extend itself too much.

As examples, I tend to use the d100 within other already existing systems to create situation or shift in circumstance, as well as the classic "bad/good event" many do from time to time, using it to decide things that are normally dependent on the environment and can't be really amounted to the character itself. What else could it work for? Thanks beforehand.
>>
I like that I can tell new players 'your skill is your % chance of succeeding under most circumstances'

It's much easier for them to contextualize than 'your skill is an abstract value that you add to a d20 roll in hopes of hitting an arbitrary target number'

For real though d100 has been done to death and you should definitely read the existing rulesets before making your own
>>
>>54085617
Most people would prefer two d10's rather than one of those golf balls though.
>>
>>54085617
From what I recall of Call of Cthulhu, d100s were used for skills. So basically if your driving skill was 50, rolling under a 50 would be a success. As you level your skill increases, so eventually your driving skill could be 60 and you're now more likely to succeed.
>>
I will make a d% system that works with one roll (assuming XY, where X is tens and Y is singles):

XY is your hit chance;
YX is hit location;
X+Y do something;
| X-Y | do something;
X * Y do something;

Still thinking on the somethings.
>>
>>54086212
Elaborate, please. How do each of these work, perhaps with a small example per case if you would.
>>
File: probabilities.png (75KB, 1166x663px) Image search: [Google]
probabilities.png
75KB, 1166x663px
>>54086212
Hmm, so I looked it up on anydice
XY and YX are just your normal d100 distributions, just flipped (90 hit would be 09 location)
X+Y are triangular distribution, between 2 and 20 with mean 11
|X-Y| has a weird graph with it starting at 0 with 10%, going up to 1 with 18% and each further probability being the previous -2% (so 16%, 14%, 12%, etc.)
X*Y is just gibberish, with it going from 1 to 100, skipping the prime numbers larger than ten and probabilities swinging between 1% and 4%

Pic related are the graphs, note that you can only see YX due to it being identical to XY
>>
Is this thread trying to say you have to use those goofy balls instead of 2 D10s.????

2 D10s is literally a D100. You don't need that goofy thing. I just need someone to confirm that this thread isn't being stupid.

At that CoC is a "percent" system.
>>
>>54087085
So I can teleport randomly on a map while hitting?

And doing 3 other things that requires really wierd numbers and a very high problem in terms of balance?

What's the point? Why not just say I go here and toss the 3 pointless numbers to make it easy?
>>
>>54087956
>Not using 2 of the golfballs and taking the tens digit from one and the ones digit from the other.
>>
>>54088153
>So I can teleport randomly on a map while hitting?
what
>>
>>54088153
well, overall efficiency could be one thing, where you get your hit, hit location, damage, and possible bonus effect from a single roll simply by reading it in different ways
>>
>>54087956
2 d10 is peasant madness, and any die besides d6 looks retarded.
>>
>>54088204
I thought he meant map location not hit location. My fault. At that making it only a die roll takes away a large chunk of RP. I'd honestly rather have it like pathfinder where you get a -5 on a specific body part but otherwise you can just describe where you hit and how hard based on Dmg and desire/RP.

>>54088404
So everyone would have the exact same damage meaning no diversity between characters damage? Unless you made type of dmg a thing like slashing VS blunt or Elemental or something. Otherwise we are all just making the whole game a dice roll fest and taking away the RP and Min Max of it.
>>
>>54089396
I did once use a unusual crit system that used a D30 with a list of different Critical outcomes. One being cut off and arm, another being make Target a retard. But I personally didn't like that style.
>>
>>54085617
Palladium games like Rifts use d100 for skills checks and I think it's the best way to go about it. If you want some inspiration check out the skills section of the Rifts Game Master guide there's some good information there that could help give some ideas. I think there could be some issues with combat. Perhaps you could do an array of combat maneuvers like %chance to hit with weapon X and a %chance to parry with weapon Y.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.