[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Creativity Slump

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

So I've hit a sort of creativity slump recently, I've had a bit of trouble coming up with stuff for my players, I've been getting by on my notes i write ahead of time but those are running out and i dont have anything to keep going.

i still get ideas for other game ideas but nothing concrete, no playable content, and i have a quest hook i just can't go anywhere with cause I'm not feeling inspired.

i dont think just a short break will help but i could at least try, is there something else i could do?

i really do love GMing, I've done it for years so i dont know whats gotten into me recently.
>>
>>54084317
do some fun stuff anon, paint minis or read a book, or just shitpost until you start felling better
>>
Ask your players what they want. Then put your own spin on it.
Don't expect them to take you seriously, you're going to get a lot of BS because for some reason, asking for what you want is somehow the hardest thing on earth.
You can't just bug them for the answer, it's hard to open up after all. Never hurts to try.
>>
>>54084317
>>54084317
>is there something else i could do?

End your game.

Not suddenly and immediately. I mean start planning how you would like this "movie" to end and give your players a shot at a happy ending with a happy epilogue for each character.
>>
>>54084317
Sounds like you need to input for a while.
Read.
Watch TV.
Read.
Go to the movies.
Read.
Play video games with "plot".
Read.

If you feel like taking a break from GMing while you do it, I like that one anon's idea of crafting an Ending.

But if you just want advice on a quick fix to try to get your juices flowing, here's an excercise:

Pick one of your favorite TV shows, preferably one that's not currently on the air. Now pick a movie that you know very well, whether or not it's recent or one of your favorites.
And pick a genre suitable for the system you want to play, or do it independent of the system if that's your thing, like Space Opera or sword & sorcery or film noir?
Now switch the cast of characters from the TV show into the movie setting replacing the main characters or merging them as you see fit. Now erase the primary protagonist and figure out how the beginning of the story would start without them.
Now add your players characters instead of the protagonist.
Now tweak everything until it all makes complete and utter sense.
Give it a try right now, everyone.

If the end result is weak, just do it again with different show and different movie or book.
The idea is to take characters that don't belong in a setting and wedge them into the setting with another elements such as a villain or the player characters or a MacGuffin.
Doing it with ones you know well make it intuitive.
My best result was combining a Mech system with Tank Girl and King of the Hill.
Don't be afraid to mix fudge into the tuna casserole and see what happens.

Making the changes necessary to get it all on the same page and make sense is what gets the juices flowing.
How'd it work?
>>
>>54088683
this idea is weird as fuck, but oddly interesting
>>
>>54090868
I find it useful.
I came up with it from a writing prompt I used a long time ago where I ended up writing a scene with Inspector Javert and Ophelia meeting each other on a bridge.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.