[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is besm third edition good/balanced for a fantasy game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Big Eyes Small Mouth 3.jpg (159KB, 941x494px) Image search: [Google]
Big Eyes Small Mouth 3.jpg
159KB, 941x494px
Is besm third edition good/balanced for a fantasy game?
>>
Someone still plays this?
>>
No, but second edition is. Avoid D20 like a plague.
>>
>>54073391
No. 3e is not balanced whatsoever.
>>
What sort of games is that system really suited for anyway? "Japanese Role Playing System" seems vague and kind of reminds me of those horrible "Learn how to draw like anime" books I would see as a kid
>>
BESM is not good/balanced for anything.
>>
>>54074432
I will check second edition but i get the same response like >>54074708

Is tri stat just unbalanced in general?

Any alternative that isnt gurps ,mutants and masterminds, OVA or savage worlds?
>>
>>54073391
2nd ed is a bit better balanced, but all of the editions have an issue with power creep - in 2nd ed, the book recommends giving out character points as XP rewards. Don't. Give out Skill points, and let them freely convert SP:CP at a 10:1 ratio, and the power creep issue vanishes.

Also, the biggest changes in 3rd are to the dice rolling and converting skills and powers to a unified point system, so most powers went way up in cost, because they're effectively being bought with skill points from 2nd ed.

BESM tends to lend itself well to less serious games. I've been in, and run multi-year 2nd ed BESM games that had weekly gaming sessions. It's fast to play, combat goes by quickly, and the system mostly gets out of the way to let you do the roleplaying part.

For a general fantasy game though, there are a lot of other systems that are better - HARP from Iron Crown is fairly simple and balanced, or if you don't mind complex systems Rolemaster (aka mathmaster/chartmaster) can be good, though you may need someone experienced with the system to get your game running smoothly.

And like >>54074432 said, the d20 version is utter trash, and not worth the paper your illegally downloaded .pdf is printed on. (That's assuming you didn't print it, because why? It's trash! Do not give anyone money for the d20 BESM. They should be paying you to dispose of it.)
>>
>>54074857

Another system you might want to look into for simple fantasy gaming is Dungeon World. The characters are all very template driven, so it goes in the opposite direction from BESM/GURPS/Savage Worlds in terms of customization, but it's super easy to run, and can be lots of fun.
>>
>>54075273
>so it goes in the opposite direction from BESM/GURPS/Savage Worlds in terms of customization
Yes, let's suggest a system that offers virtually NO customization to run a type of game where intricate backstories, bizarre character details, and a Mad Libs array of special attacks are the norm. Dungeon World is probably the LAST type of game I'd recommend as a substitute for BESM or at all, honestly.
>>
>>54073391
>Is besm third edition good/balanced for a fantasy game?

They're all out of print. So that should be a big hint.

Even still: If any or all of those editions were the Holy Grail of gaming goodness, you can't play them because nobody else plays them.
>>
>>54073391
>balanced
stick to wow
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.