[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Autism Metrics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: 986.png (1MB, 1116x1042px) Image search: [Google]
986.png
1MB, 1116x1042px
Do any worldbuilders here refuse to use seconds/minutes/hours, feet/yards/miles, degrees, etc. in their settings due to the unrealistic nature of such metrics occurring in a completely different world/society? What do you use instead?
>>
>>54067430
I'd call that worse for immersion purposes. If you constantly have to convert the "native" metrics to the ones you as a player are used to, that'd be distracting as well as potentially leading to misunderstandings. If you're going down that rabbit hole, why not invent several languages and insist the players only communicate in them?
>>
File: 425335-tolkien_photo_c.jpg (81KB, 533x755px) Image search: [Google]
425335-tolkien_photo_c.jpg
81KB, 533x755px
>>54067520
>why not invent several languages and insist the players only communicate in them
Indeed.
>>
>>54067430
I have one settign where they use arm lengths, body lengths, weapon weights, armor weights, hand weights (what can comfortably fit in a hand), and such. they live in a reality where distanxce is largely an illusion, so distances further than a few dozen body lengths are hard to judge - there's no background or stuff past their stronghold to judge distance by, and movement is at the speed of thought, quite literally. Alchemists and the like use standardized measures, but they aren't imaginatively named - small spoonful, tiny spoonful, large heaping spoonful, a cup...all the utensils are standardized so they know the differences.
>>
>>54067430
Because for lack of a need for such precision you can just use the units they used at the time, namely watches for time at night, hours for time during the day, and leagues and cubits for distance.
>>
File: IMG_1358.jpg (23KB, 263x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1358.jpg
23KB, 263x200px
>>54067430
No i fucking use all those standardized measurements.

And all my fantasy worlds have about 24 hours in a day, around 7 days in a week, about 30 days in a month, and about 12 months in a year.

And they have a regular cycle of spring, summer, fall, and winter.

Call me an unimaginative prick but even Tolkien imported the christian calendar wholesale into his story .
>>
>seconds the length of a heartbeat
>feet the length of a king's foot
>yard/pace the length of a stride
>stone the weight of a large rock

At best the units have different names. Arbitrary units didn't really take hold until the nineteenth century in real life: in the fourteenth (when most settings are generally set) they had no standard units, just local ones. Anything the game describes in feet and pounds has been translated for player convenience.
>>
I don't use feet/yards/miles because it's a stupid metric system that americans use because counting to 10 is too challenging to them.
>>
>>54067430
We don't talk in in-universe languages, so no.
Beside, if you want to be realistic, it's unlikely that a non modern/futuristic setting have a unified metrics system, no matter what metric. So you would have to jump metrics regularly as characters travel, depending on town, region or whatever.
If that's your shit, go for it, but I think it would get annoying quickly.
>>
>>54067768
right, because counting to 10 is harder than counting to 12.

I don't like the imperial system either, but there are good reasons to have 12 as a base in a meatric rather than 10. muh divisors etc.
>>
>>54067430
I had a situation in a game where two people from different tribes had to perform a complex time units conversion because one of the tribes measured time in lengths of candles burning down, and the other thought that candles are too expensive to burn for that.

It was only mentioned in passing and for fluff though. Any real measurements were stated in RL units.
>>
>>54067552
But Tolkien did not insist that the readers "only" communicate in Westron, Sindarin, Quenya, etc. He "translates" it all, sometimes even with modern idioms or comparisons to things the characters could clearly not have knowledge of, to the modern reader.
>>
File: laughing james.jpg (26KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
laughing james.jpg
26KB, 500x333px
>being this autistic about something your players aren't going to give two fucks about beyond how far they can run per turn or how fast they can travel per day
>>
>>54067954
He did say it was autistic
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.