[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Films that get you in the mood for role playing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 15

File: 1uefrazetta-thebarbarian[1].jpg (522KB, 892x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1uefrazetta-thebarbarian[1].jpg
522KB, 892x1200px
Conan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVx4LafsvSU

Willow
https://youtu.be/4T40vj40ZZQ

Princess Bride
https://youtu.be/WDlZ_SXx5gA
>>
>>54061487
The three Star Wars movies, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g3_CFmnU7k

And Indiana Jones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkkzKHCx154

Even though the trilogy isn't overall the best, I actually love The Desolation of Smaug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPVWy1tFXuc
>>
File: deathstalker-1.jpg (57KB, 1024x1146px) Image search: [Google]
deathstalker-1.jpg
57KB, 1024x1146px
Deathstalker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ha8l5z4l4

'... weather good or evil will rule.'
'Evil!'
'So I expect.'
>>
File: beastmaster.jpg (43KB, 405x580px) Image search: [Google]
beastmaster.jpg
43KB, 405x580px
>>54061487
The motherfucking Beastmaster, motherfucker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M65oUvDmBnI
>>
>>54061487
>Fire & Ice
>Labyrinth
>Krull
>Rock & Rule
>>
File: Wizards_35_Anniversary_04.jpg (218KB, 1599x899px) Image search: [Google]
Wizards_35_Anniversary_04.jpg
218KB, 1599x899px
>>
>>54062291

vat is das?
>>
File: not this one you simpleton.gif (308KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
not this one you simpleton.gif
308KB, 480x270px
>>54063567
>>
File: Elinore.jpg (50KB, 468x256px) Image search: [Google]
Elinore.jpg
50KB, 468x256px
>>54063567
Ralph Bakshi's Wizards. A masturba--err, masterpiece of animation, the battle between 2 wizards, one good and one evil.
>>
Lair of the White Worm always gets me going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA1RpC-usbM
>>
File: IMG_1091.jpg (42KB, 500x761px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1091.jpg
42KB, 500x761px
I enjoy this movie and Tim curry is bad ass
>>
The Dark Crystal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3TARP4bF80
>>
>>54063846
This is my nigga love me some mutha fuckin puppets! Great world too
>>
>>54061639
>Not Deathstalker II, aka the movie where the DM didn't prepare anything
>>
File: tremors.jpg (21KB, 220x319px) Image search: [Google]
tremors.jpg
21KB, 220x319px
Tremors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcsLaSBWG9k
>>
>>54063891

Too bad Netflix is going to completely watch the prequel series they're going to release. Will probably pretend it doesn't exist later on.
>>
>>54064662
*botch

Stupid autocorrect.
>>
>>54061487
Without repeating anything already mentioned
-13th Warrior
-King Arthur (2004)
-Merlin (NBC movie/miniseries)
-The Ghost in the Darkness (I used the Tsavo Man Eaters as a villain concept)
>>
>>54064675
I was wondering. "Fuckers should just slap the shit together and release it without watching or editing it. It'd be more spontaneous that way!"
>>
Oceans 11, 12, and 13. To a lesser extent Sneakers and The Italian Job. Always make me think, "A heist game would be fun."
>>
>>54064708
I see you are interested in C Tech Astronomy
>>
>>54064654
My nigger
>>
>No Dragonslayer
>No Labyrinth
People. Please.
>>
>>54061487
>Guardians of the Galaxy
>Redline
>Fifth Element
Not a movie, but
>SPESS DENDY
>>
>>54064685
Sam Neil Merlin? Muhboy
>>
Believe it or not, the first Mummy movie.
>>
File: Only So Erect.gif (937KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Only So Erect.gif
937KB, 500x281px
>>54061639
>Deathstalker
>>
>>54065110
Aw yea, every so often I find people with the same appreciation for that movie.

My only wish is that they could've had it be more magic usage during his fight with Queen Mab but him only being a 'hand' wizard limited that. I've always tried thinking of a way to make that a thing in a RPG but it would have to be more of a low fantasy setting I think
>>
>>54061487

Currently, Moana. Something about it just makes me go "I need to do a tropical setting about boats and ocean druids."
>>
>>54061487
Literally anything Star Trek. Its characters and episodes lend itself extremely well to adapting into P&P stuff.
>>
Guardians of the galaxy vol 2
>>
>>54065170
You mean from the 90's or the 1932 mummy?
>>
>>54061487
Big Trouble in Little China
DuckTales - The Movie
The Maltese Falcon
The Last Witch Hunter
And, of course Heavy Metal 2000. I'm under no misapprehensions about the quality of my group's RP. and Machinations of the Space Princess is fun
>>
>>54065923
Moana was okay, but I cringe when I think of the musical numbers. They need to either quit doing musical shit, or get some fucking taste. I'm not sure why, but there seems to be a rule that 95% of all songs in musicals have to be terrible.
>>
>>54066017
Moana songs are amazing
>>
File: RHPS1.jpg (223KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
RHPS1.jpg
223KB, 1280x800px
>>54066006
Oh, and I can't believe I forgot about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS4_Z84-rRE

>>54066017
>there seems to be a rule that 95% of all songs in musicals have to be terrible.
Allow me to present an exception.
>>
>>54066006
>that spoiler
RRRRRREEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SEQUEL IS SHIT! Seriously though, the original is one of my favorite movies but the sequel in my eyes was a flaming piece of shit. To each their own though.
>>
>>54066044
Flash Gordon is awesome (as is its theme song). Rocky Horror is supposed to be so bad that it's good, but in my experience, it's just so bad that it's really bad.

>>54066030
>Moana songs are amazing
Shiny was the only one I can remember thinking wasn't bad, and it's not like it bowled me over or anything.
>>
>>54061639
>insert other end in player.
>>
>>54066051
The sequel is much better as a single movie, as opposed to the whole bunch of short clips the first one was. HM1 just didn't feel like it hung together at all. Some of the individual parts were great (Taarna, Lincoln F. Sternn, and the bomber sequence. That first non-framing section with the cabbie in New New York was alright), but they didn't really flow together very well.

HM2K is right in that Space Mutiny section of quality where you're watching it because it's fun (though I confess I've never seen Space Mutiny outside of the MST3K episode), not because it's good.
>>
>>54066083
>it's just so bad that it's really bad.
I think you may be lacking a sense of taste.
>>
>>54066083
>but in my experience, it's just so bad that it's really bad.

I've never seen it, but that's the impression I get from the fans. In my experience, nothing that's treated like Rocky Horror is ever actually good. And the fact that the most enduring image of it is a dude in drag says it all, really. Dudes in high heels stopped being edgy a looooooooong ass time ago.
>>
>>54066091
Well, that's the big difference. Heavy Metal was just like its namesake magazine: A bunch of counterculture science fiction shorts with emphasis on style over substance. The second one just took the most well known part of that movie (the part with tits) and made an entire movie solely based on that.

I remember they also did a video game based on it literal ages ago. It's just too bad that graphics back then were too bad to make it anything other than cringeworthy.

My problem with 2000 is that it's dumb and racy, and nothing more than that. Gives the genre a bad name.
>>
>>54066090
It's one of the core rules.
>>
File: dirty pair kei flashes S4vOFHO.gif (1MB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
dirty pair kei flashes S4vOFHO.gif
1MB, 500x375px
Dirty Pair: Project Eden (aka, the good Dirty Pair movie... so long as you watched it subbed and not dubbed, anyway). I feel it accurately depicts the concern for life and property that PCs have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdZtxSL5WM0
>>
>>54066153
>The second one just took the most well known part of that movie (the part with tits) and made an entire movie solely based on that.
Ackchually, it's based off the HM-branded/serialized/something story Melting Pot. I don't know how closely it's based on it, I never got around to reading it. Based on the wikipedia article it seems like the Heavy Metal branding may have actually started with the movie. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Melting_Pot_(comics)

FAKK 2 wasn't too bad a video game. Let down by the fact that the Quake 3 engine doesn't seem to like corners combining with third-person views, so you get stuck on corners when trying to make jumps sometimes. It was made by Ritual (the SiN guys), so there's a certain amount of talent behind it.

>>54066153
>My problem with 2000 is that it's dumb and racy, and nothing more than that.
Heavy Metal's always had shit like that in it, though.
>>
>>54066268
>Heavy Metal's always had shit like that in it, though.

That's true. But for me, it overstayed its welcome in a full length movie.

Damn, FAKK 2 makes me remember the magazine I read about it in. What a far cry from modern video games journalism. Those guys wasted no time printing a huge picture of the woman the main character was based on. I was at a big LAN once, and some people from the magazine were there. One of them had a huge library of Hentai games on his shared space. Funny stuff. I bet you couldn't do that today without being fired. Then again, the magazine went under years ago. Nobody is interested in video game glossies anymore.
>>
>>54066344
Man, speaking of weird HM shit, I remember reading a couple of oddball short comics in some of the issues from the 70s (because I'm trying to read them in order and holy fuck there are a lot).

One of them is where this nude woman is wandering through a forest and comes across these things that look like buckyballs with stuff inside them, or the ball-shaped organ in the bone cage from the Surgeon Simulator alien surgery. She goes to sleep under a tree, and these things do... something to her, and she wakes up pregnant with one of these things, and the skin on her abdomen has rolled back to reveal it.

Another was this woman is running through this broken landscape, and this guy swoops down on his wyvern-y thing and kidnaps her. He takes her back to his fortress and reveals to the reader that those two and the guy's wife are the only three humans on the planet, and that his wife is sterile. He's trying to get some kids, and his wife loses her shit a bit because he's basically replacing her. She kills herself, and the guy goes to fuck this other woman... Who then reveals that she's actually a shemale, and so doesn't actually have a vagina. The guy then kills himself, and you end up with this woman escaping from the castle either on foot or on the guy's ride, I can't remember which. Really quite sad when you realise that she's the last living human on the planet.
>>
>>54066402
Huh, maybe I need to track down some of those issues. I saw some of this stuff being posted on /aco/, and it was pretty weird shit. Stuff with a woman convincing a lobster man (with a scaled lobster dick) to bask in the sun so she could eat him. Or with Santa fucking a woman until they both turn into rocks.

France is one hell of a drug.
>>
https://youtu.be/M25VwK3xD2g

I really, REALLY like this version of Macbeth. It's not really a tale of high adventure, but it is a great inspiration for creating a villain and setting a stage for a campaign. Things of note:

A+ soundtrack
A+ visuals
A+ cast
The dialogue is pretty unfiltered Shakespeare, but there's a lot of pruning and rearranging that gives it a nice modern edge I think.
The change to the ending is pretty dark.
Just rewatched the other day, been on a nice writing binge since.
>>
>>54066633
The first one is Virgo from the May 1977 issue (v1 #2, page 79).

The second one is Master from the Nov 1977 issue (v1 #8, p83).

To keep it slightly thread-related, leafing through a collection of Heavy Metal covers is pretty much guaranteed to get the creative juices going.
>>
>>54065964
90s
>>54065900
Its just one of those mini series thats been lost to the sands of time.
>>
File: Heavy Metal - Virgo.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Heavy Metal - Virgo.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
>>54066889
Actually, to make it easier on you, I'll post them. Not the whole volumes, those are like 50-70 MB.
>>
>>54067015
Thanks. I love weird comics.
>>
>>54064662
>Too bad Netflix is going to completely watch the prequel series they're going to release. Will probably pretend it doesn't exist later on.

Except the entire thing is being made with practical effects and actual puppets by a dedicated crew who seems to really love the original...

I mean, I was upset to hear about it in the first place, but what they've got so far looks _fun_
>>
>>54064662
You know Netflix is just producing it, right? It's a Jim Henson Company production.
>>
File: the-mole-people-4.png (309KB, 628x458px) Image search: [Google]
the-mole-people-4.png
309KB, 628x458px
>>54065964
>You mean from the 90's or the 1932 mummy?
No joke you should all watch The Mole People right now if you haven't.

Re-watched it a couple months ago and it really got me inspired.
>>
>>54067258
>The Mole People
The one where they were going to have the hero get the girl until they realised that although she was white, she was still technically like Sumerian or something, so they killed her off in a really retarded way?
>>
File: Heavy Metal - Master.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Heavy Metal - Master.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
>>54067192
Here's the other. Would have done it sooner, but I got distracted by messing about with Requiem Vampire Knight on Comixology.
>>
>>54062291
That scene were Merlin pulls a gat out of his beard and busts a cap in the badguy's ass
>>
>>54067418
>Requiem Vampire Knight

That's one of my favorite series. Still have to read the latest album, though. It's been a while, so I should reread them all.

I never would have bought it for myself, but it was a gift. I was instantly hooked.
>>
>>54067600
I'm hoping they actually get Volume 11 out in English next year. 9 was last year, so 10 should be this year, which will be nice, since I've only seen it as low-res HM scans.

That said, I also spotted this lovely snippet in the Wikipedia page:
>In July 2016 Pat Mills announced that "the long-anticipated volume 12 is due for French publication at the end of 2017, and we are hoping for a same day, English language digital release. We'll then round off the series with volume 13 in the not too distant future."
So if they want to get Volumes 10 and 11 digitally released before then they better get off their asses.
>>
>>54067673
For some reason they're always insanely slow with their English translations. I'm Dutch, and even some publishers here are INSANELY slow. I've had to get a good bit of Sillage from the internet because Arboris just flatout refused to reprint it for a year or so.

And I'm just lucky I get quick translations, probably because of the Belgian market. Can't really have Franco-Belgian comics and ignore the richer half of Belgium, now can you?

I should visit the comic book store again. Looks like the fifth album of les Aigles du Rome was released a while ago already. But that's my luxury: Just visit the shop occasionally and see what they have.
>>
>>54063801
Fuckin Aye cuz
>>
Not a movie but for me it's Game of Thrones. There's a couple if iconic characters in it that can be used to create interesting variants of.
>>
>>54061639
I've only seen the one that was featured on MST3K. Are the other ones any good?
>>
Willow
Conan the Barbarian '82
Legend (Ridley Scott director's cut)
LOTR Trilogy
The 1st Hobbit movie
Guardians of the Galaxy 1&2
Clash of the Titans (the original)
>>
>>54065097
>Redline

see, this is why you need to explain *why* you like the movies and not just list titles. which Redline did you mean?

1997: When a man is murdered in Moscow, experimental bionic research brings him back to life. He then sets out to find his murderers and money that was stolen during the crime.

2007: A gorgeous young automobile fanatic--and front to the hottest unsigned band on the West coast--finds herself caught up in illegal drag-racing competitions organized by exotic car fanatics.

2009: A story about the most popular racing event in the galaxy, the Redline, and the various racers who compete in it. (animated)

1999 (Redline: Gang Warfare 2066) (no description)

2013 (Red Line): A Los Angeles subway train is brought to a slamming stop, the tunnel partially collapsed, and several people injured. The survivors must figure out what caused it, and must deal with the greater danger that soon faces them.

okay, new challenge: build a roleplaying campaign that incorporates all of these movies. go!
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.