[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/l5rg/ Legend of the Five Rings General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 63

File: 1496885866846.png (284KB, 263x262px) Image search: [Google]
1496885866846.png
284KB, 263x262px
New Lion Edition

FFG Lion Clan Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiMwrJVQBe0

FFG Card Game Site
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/legend-of-the-five-rings-the-card-game/

AEG Stories Site
http://www.kazenoshiro.com/

AEG 4E RPG Character Stats Site
http://www.kazenoshiro.com/

Questions:
>What do you think so far with the new Card Game?
>What is your hope for the Lion Clan in the New L5R Storyline?
>Would you take a hot-headed Matsu for a wife?
>>
>What do you think so far with the new Card Game?
looks great
>What is your hope for the Lion Clan in the New L5R Storyline?
Anything is better than the old plotlines
Maybe, but I prefer Yogo women. Gotta live life dangerously.
>>
Spoiler Day cometh -- and so do I.
>>
>>54048523
Get hype for the inevitable Crane butthurt about how the Dragon dueling cards are better than theirs.
>>
>>54048755
The funny thing is that despite the initial reaction playtesting has shown that the Crane dueling cards (Kaezin, Duelist Training, Doji Challenger in fluff at least) are among the best Crane cards. Everybody thought that they'd be meh, but Kaezin is just a monster and Duelist Training shines in so many scenarios.
>>
Dragon preview is up. Love most of it, except it's looking like Togashi will dominate and I'd prefer more from other families. Discarding everyone else's attachments and fate is a neat combo. Fate removal encourages the opponents to play a few characters like the Dragon do, but attachment removal and hand discard means that they can't do it very effectively.
>>
Can someone explain to me why everyone talking about Phoenix in the LCG seem to believe they will have an honor based victory path? Is there some spoiler I missed?
>>
>>54050488
Just speculators speculating. Don't worry about it.
>>
So, new edition of the L5R RPG?

Important question: is it possible to build Emiya Shirou as a Ronin Shugenja in this edition? I remember that it was possible in 2e, but not possible in 3e.
>>
>>54051970
Ronin schools are underpowered right now, in fact 4e has major balance issues between schools, hope that is fixed in 5th

No special dice though for the love of god
>>
>>54052048
Given the Genesys news, it feels like special dice are going to happen.
>>
>>54052048
Get ready to choke on some special dice and get the blandest lore possible
>>
>>54052048
>4e has major balance issues between schools

What the fuck are you talking about?

There are some standout bushi schools, sure, but none of the great clan schools are bad, nor are any broken. Yes, the Great Clan bushi schools are more powerful than Ronin or Minor Clan schools in most cases, but that's an intentional design decision. Keep in mind that you're not allowed to even play a Minor Clanner or Ronin without GM permission anyway.
>>
>>54054341
You forget where you are. /tg/ constantly jacks it to the Minor Clans and takes high offense that they are in general weaker than Great Clans. Just look at some of the homebrew Minor Clan abortions /tg/ has produced. There was one that could lock a character out from raising for an entire fight with a pretty easy roll.
>>
>>54056313
At it's not as bad crababies
>>
>>54047885
>Dragon clan preview day
>Open thread with Lion and not even a link to their last week story or this week mechanics preview

Shamefur dispray, Akodo-san. Offer due honor to your weird, martially gifted monks and Holmses to your north.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/21/the-rising-wave/

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/28/monks-of-the-mountains/
>>
>>54056313
That one was intentionally overpowered. Not as some kind of statement or anything though, just because the designer wanted to make an OP dueling clan. The rest of them are pretty much on par for minor clans, with some unique, but weak abilities.
>>
File: l5c01_kitsuki_investigator.png (279KB, 300x418px) Image search: [Google]
l5c01_kitsuki_investigator.png
279KB, 300x418px
I have spent like an hour trying to think up one liners for this guy in the CSI Miami vein, got nothing. I'm apparently a retard. Anyone else got ideas?
>>
>>54057664
Looks like we've got a case of...

puts on shades

...MAHO!

YYYEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!
the kanji used make a pun that is literally untranslatable unless you actually read kanji
>>
>>54058055
th-thanks
>>
>>54052700
>>54052741

This is gonna be a bad feel.
>>
File: Mirumoto Raitsugu.jpg (433KB, 748x744px) Image search: [Google]
Mirumoto Raitsugu.jpg
433KB, 748x744px
So I've played a couple of games with Dragon on TTS already. They are fantastic, possibly the strongest clan yet revealed. The voltron strategy is real -- they get so much value out of attachments it just isn't funny.

Pic related is something that actually happened. This was not forced; this was the result of optimal play turn in and turn out. The guy lasted the entire game thanks to Mantra of Fire and killed multiple enemies.

This game is fantastic and I can't wait to actually play it for real.
>>
>>54059078
It's gonna be Oriental Adventures all over again, and we all know what happened to Oriental Adventures. Frankly, worst case scenario is people keep playing 4e for another decade.
>>
File: gallery_185_75_1126238.gif (662KB, 1105x1200px) Image search: [Google]
gallery_185_75_1126238.gif
662KB, 1105x1200px
Once I finish my current campaign, I'm going to be doing L5R.

Era: immediately after the Great Famine, but not sticking very closely to canon. As of yet, there is no Kaiu wall, the Unicorn are still off in the Burning Sands, and it wasn't an absurd amount of time ago that the gaijin showed up. Their lands will be relatively unproductive, lots of dry steppes to keep the Lion from getting too OP. I am inserting a succession crisis into the mix, and people are going to start using firearms soon.

Style: Wargame/RPG hybrid. Characters will all be part of the same coalition, but have their own holdings and levies, will jockey for more. Trying for a weeaboo Game of Thrones with significantly less rape sort of vibe.

Any suggestion on how to set up the map? I think I'm going to put the Centipedes up North near the Phoenix border, but with how inconsistent it is I'm still thinking of where to put other minor clans/ land marks.
>>
>>54058055
What's the pun explained for us non grorious nipponese speakers?
>>
>>54059238
Is there a link to the TTS extension? Or is this something you've done custom?
>>
>>54059554
It's only semi-publically shared, but if you join the L5R Discord server (just google it, it'll show up) it is pinned on the other_sharing channel. I don't feel particularly good about spreading it outside of there as I did not make the mod myself, but that's a place to find it.
>>
File: TanegashimaGun.jpg (361KB, 2685x521px) Image search: [Google]
TanegashimaGun.jpg
361KB, 2685x521px
>>54059329
One thing I noticed: Wasp Clan is created after Lion take over a former Scorpion Castle, get wrecked by the angry son of the former Lord. Thus, the final map I use must have the Wasp be bordered by both Lion and Scorpion Clan lands.
>>
File: l5c01_niten_master.png (265KB, 300x418px) Image search: [Google]
l5c01_niten_master.png
265KB, 300x418px
I like this guy a lot, in one turn he can become a martial or political beast you keep hammering on your opponents.
>>
I honestly enjoy this preview season a lot more due to how retarded the FFG forum is.

People arguing for pages about why rokugani samurai should used guns.

A whole thread dedicated to not enough blacks.

And a die hard, autistic clinging to running the game multiplayer including someone already developing multiplayer strats
>>
>>54060148

What other threads of note are out there?
>>
File: 62 Mirumoto Raitsugu.png (291KB, 300x418px) Image search: [Google]
62 Mirumoto Raitsugu.png
291KB, 300x418px
>>54059923
He's actually one of the more underwhelming Dragon characters. The main issue is, you generally use your attachments to win the conflict in the first place -- using them to ready a guy afterwards is pretty backwards. Additionally, so far every single Weapon in the game is also Restricted, and with the way Restricted is worded once he has two Restricted weapons he actually can't play any more; you can't willingly trash your own attachments and he can't have them at all so you just can't play them.

This guy, on the other hand, is absolutely brutal. He just straight murders people. It's so rude. You give him 1-2 weapons and you're killing clan champions, and that's a bad day.
>>
>>54060219
There's a new podcast springing up every day hungry for views. Also a thread trying to convince people to stop using magic terms for the game
>>
>>54060219
Also a really weird thread about people thinking samurai should duel "to incapacitation" like they know they have HP and stuff instead of actually swinging around deadly weapons.
>>
>>54060148
Yeah, I never thought I'd see a more retarded L5R forum than AEG's. The FFG crowd takes it to a new level.
>>
>>54060301
Are any of them decent? When you have a ton of chaff there's gotta be some wheat around.
>>
File: l5c01_togashi_yokuni.png (301KB, 300x418px) Image search: [Google]
l5c01_togashi_yokuni.png
301KB, 300x418px
So how do we feel about our boy Togashi this go around? I'm honestly pretty hype, he seems the most powerful and versatile champions seen so far. I'm glad we're out of the dance of the Lion/Crane to see weird abilities now, I have high hopes for Shoju and Altansarnai now to do weird but probably powerful stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxsNnUAyfd4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGx6K90TmCI
>>
File: l5c01_way_of_the_dragon.png (282KB, 300x418px) Image search: [Google]
l5c01_way_of_the_dragon.png
282KB, 300x418px
>>
>>54060148
>>54060301
>>54060357
>>54060389

I am tempted to visit the FFG forums. To see with my own eyes what you and the others have seen.
>>
>>54061119
His copy ability isn't necessarily action efficient, and limit 1 per round hurts to an extent. That said he is pretty versatile and 5/5 and 3 pies is strong
>>
>>54062179
They kind of suck but I don't really know card games well so I lurk there to learn the analytical element of the game since there's a few turboautists around who apply mathammer ethos to things. It isn't really worth it though unless you are needing some help getting into things though, otherwise these people are just the fucking worst. There's a few insightful posters like anywhere else, but their bad is a special kind of bad when it sinks down.
>>
>>54062448
>His copy ability isn't necessarily action efficient,
What do you mean? As I read it, you can basically activate it whenever and immediately gain the effects of the copied ability by activating it straight after.
>>
>>54050356
>except it's looking like Togashi will dominate
Funny, I got the opposite impression.
>>
>>54062745
the copied ability only lasts for the phase, so doing it in battle means they get an action to do something about it. That said its not looking like there are a ton of ways to do something about it, and I keep forgetting theres a like action window before conflicts.
>>
>>54050356
If anything its looking like our big bads are Mirumoto. Sure theres some ok togashi support but our biggest voltron targets are mostly Mirumoto.
>>
File: This is silly.png (2MB, 1684x660px) Image search: [Google]
This is silly.png
2MB, 1684x660px
The dragon are nonsense.

This is silly.
>>
>>54063097
I see nothing wrong here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtqKaUc6Uas
>>
>>54062448
>>54062745
Someone must have already asked this elsewhere but I'm a lazy fuck. If you attach Way of the Dragon to Yokuni can he copy the same ability twice?

Ex. Youkuni and Raitsugu are on the board. Youkuni attaches Way of the Dragon. Yokuni copies Raitsusug's duel ability. With Way of the Dragon I assume Yokuni can then duel a man twice. Could he then coppy Raitsugu again and for another two duels?
>>
>>54063838
Yes but you can't use it to allow him to copy one ability then another since the text of his specific ability notes once per turn and if you tried to copy that to copy another you'd get the limitation. It instead lets you fire off your copied ability again as though it were native.
>>
>>54063983
So if I'm reading your response correctly the Limit 1 per turn on Yokuni's copy ability trumps WotD's "use it one more time." Is that right? Hrm. That's going to be one of those things that gets argued about every tourney, I'll bet.
>>
>>54063097
They can't keep getting away with this.

What's the effect of Daimyo's Favor? I heard it got spoiled through non FFG means but I haven't see the effect anywhere.
>>
>>54065376
+1 mil
And certain cards benefit from/cant be used on the holder of the favor
>>
>>54065376
>>54065386
Wait oops I thought you meant Imperial :P

It's "bow this to reduce the cost of the next attachment you play on this character this phase by 1"
>>
>>54065396
Interesting.
A damn fucking shame Ninten Master only unbows when you give him a weapon. He would've been so much better if it was any attachment. Right now he feels really underwhelming.
>>
>>54059283

Indeed. Nevertheless, 4e is quite good.
>>
>>54065436
Kitsuki's method for 5 court power
Attach +2 mill ancestral sword, ready
5 military for defense
Attach +2 non ancestral sword, ready
7 military go eat province
Nitten dude goes away, Kitsuki's method and ancestral sword thingy go back in your hand

Looks to me like the standard flow of Dragon play is to use their fate based shenanigans to lose by inches while you horde your fate until you can dump Yugioh (the show) level combos to create massive swings in your favor.
>>
>>54066532
I just want a 5e that fixes 4e's problems ...
Lackluster weapons (it's like the writers sulked about having to keep all the weapon stats in the minimalist edition, and made most of them useless shit).
Shitty crafting rules and price lists (monetary value has always been terrible in L5R ... partly due to no fucks given, but also partly because you're supposed to sidestep the issue of money with favours, debt, etc).
Shugenja fail to convey the sense of being priests over human shaped swiss army knives/artillery.
Etc.
>>
>>54064230
This is correct.
>>
File: thief-of-hope.jpg (71KB, 419x305px) Image search: [Google]
thief-of-hope.jpg
71KB, 419x305px
Elemental Kamis, are they supposed to be just "sentient element" in appearance like D&D elementals or they can be miyazaki-level weird? In the books there is a lot of how they behave and think, but not really how they can look like.
>>
>>54067688
AFAIK there's no canon, but I always assumed the kami are turbo weird looking.
>>
>>54066710
Give it up, the RPG is an afterthought compared to the CCG
>>
>>54067763
L5R is most famous for its top tier autism LARP events, which run off of the RPG's sytem.
>>
>>54067805
Orientalism never died, it just gets called LARP now
>>
>>54067843
Yeah man. Those damn dirty racist Vampire players in Chicago.
>>
lets take a looksie.

Crane - SHIT
Lion - Passable, but their champ is a total non-bo with their deck
Dragon - OP as fuck

Where will Crab, Scorp, Phoenix, and Unicorn fall, I wonder?
>>
File: kami.png (279KB, 399x580px) Image search: [Google]
kami.png
279KB, 399x580px
>>54067688
>>54067718
AFAIK, there's precisely one drawing from 2e era of what kami look like. Pic related.
>>
>>54068092
>tree tiddy
',8^)
>>
>>54067763
Hey, there's 3/4 mostly good editions, depending on what you want out of the game. They're probably going to pile L5R into their Genesys narrative whatever whatever, but until they do, a man can hope.
>>
>>54057664
You thought you could out FOX the great Kitsuki?

Well, my friend, all I can say is...

(puts on shades)

KITSU-NAY
>>
File: bayushi misaki.jpg (205KB, 950x694px) Image search: [Google]
bayushi misaki.jpg
205KB, 950x694px
>>54068156
ayyyyy
>>
>>54066605
The problem is that that's three restricted cards and you can't play the third one.You really don't want to be giving him Fans and/or Methods because that will directly reduce the amount of readies he can receive.

That said he's still a good card. He's not actually a voltron in and of himself, but he's a great support card.
>>
File: LARPin.jpg (579KB, 2000x760px) Image search: [Google]
LARPin.jpg
579KB, 2000x760px
>>54067805
>>
>>54066710

Negative waves notwithstanding, it's a long shot but it's there.
I've always wanted to run a 1e game though.
>>
>>54066710
How do you even fix weapons without adding a bunch of stupid special rules? Honestly I'm of the opinion that they should just collapse the weapon list further. Two handed weapons of every type have one profile, katanas have a profile, small weapons have a profile, then cheap versions of two handed and one-handed weapons for NPCs to wield.
>>
>>54076945
>Honestly I'm of the opinion that they should just collapse the weapon list further.
Removing the bloat of 3e is the defining feature of 4e, so it stands out as odd that they gimped so many weapons without cutting the list down to a handful of less specific concepts. I'd look to Legends Of The Wulin for how that could work.

>Weapon types are Flexible, Massive, Paired, Ranged, Saber, Staff, Spear, Sword, Unarmed

>If you use one of the weapons listed under your External Style, you may add the weapon stats to the basic combat statistics provided by your style, and get access to the weapons’ special properties while using that style.

>An improvised weapon allows you to use your kung fu style that you normally wouldn’t be able to with your bare hands, although they don’t get to claim the specific properties of the weapon itself.

>Special weapons combine the properties of two weapons. This allows you to claim the benefts of both weapons at once (identical benefits do not stack, i.e., Paired Swords do not get +10 Strike)
This would be how you get things like jo (paired/staff), naginata (staff/sword), etc.
>>
>>54077371
Fuck. What I would give for the LotW dice system for l5r.
>>
>>54076407
>I've always wanted to run a 1e game though.
Coming at it as someone who started at the tail end of 3e / start of 4e, 1e has a certain charm and internal logic to it that gets curtailed in later editions. It's just hard to find a group of people who are willing to set aside the time to learn to play something slightly different to 4e.

Also, check the FFG forums talking about sacred cows they would remove. So much of it reads as people who only have a cursory involvement in what they're talking about, blatantly unaware that the 'changes' they would make are already part of the setting. That and the people who want FFG's custom dice are starting to irk me.
>>
>>54077766
FFG forums are cancer. Everyone knows this.
>>
File: akodo toturi.png (808KB, 700x638px) Image search: [Google]
akodo toturi.png
808KB, 700x638px
>>
>>54077766
>So much of it reads as people who only have a cursory involvement in what they're talking about, blatantly unaware that the 'changes' they would make are already part of the setting.

Its hilarious honestly.
>>
I hope the Dragon absorbs Yoritomo's army.
>>
>>54078234

Less of a monk and more of a warlord this time around.
>>
>>54078416

What if Togashi possesses Yoritomo's body.
>>
>>54078443
solves the dragon population problem by raping the minor clans, just like in the old timeline.
>>
File: reeeeeeeee.png (1MB, 447x1200px) Image search: [Google]
reeeeeeeee.png
1MB, 447x1200px
>>
File: l5c01_secluded_temple.png (279KB, 300x418px) Image search: [Google]
l5c01_secluded_temple.png
279KB, 300x418px
>>
>>54080530
I like that Dragon's version of Econ is simply to waste your opponent's fate.
>>
>>54080706
If you have a fate and your opponent has none, you are still an infinite measure above them.
>>
/tg/, I need your help! I made a Scorpion shinobi yojimbo with the Dangerous Beauty advantage, but the majority of Scorpion art I could find for men was them wearing large and intimidating masks. Dunno if this is the right place to ask, but if anyone has art of attractive Scorpion men I'd appreciate it!
>>
>>54082112
Try Paneki. There are a few Scorpion men with small / no masks, but they're few and far between.
>>
File: stupid sexy scorpion.jpg (44KB, 500x387px) Image search: [Google]
stupid sexy scorpion.jpg
44KB, 500x387px
>>54082112
I gotchu senpai.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (205KB, 1144x843px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
205KB, 1144x843px
>>54082910
>art of attractive Scorpion men
>>
>>
File: 6eo0Q7cZRWKMZJs9kf87[1].jpg (137KB, 600x424px) Image search: [Google]
6eo0Q7cZRWKMZJs9kf87[1].jpg
137KB, 600x424px
>>54082910
Also;
>posting that glassy-eyed bimbo
>>
>>54083019
>>54083084
Yeah, that's a man. Shosuro actors.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (59KB, 308x249px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
59KB, 308x249px
>>54083109
Your mother is a man.
>>
File: coming for dat booty.jpg (53KB, 778x548px) Image search: [Google]
coming for dat booty.jpg
53KB, 778x548px
>>54083147
My mother impregnated your mother. We're half brothers
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (55KB, 388x273px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
55KB, 388x273px
>>54083213
My mother is also a man.
>>
File: Bayushi_Manami_2[1].jpg (909KB, 1280x943px) Image search: [Google]
Bayushi_Manami_2[1].jpg
909KB, 1280x943px
>>
File: Bayushi Omoto.jpg (52KB, 377x499px) Image search: [Google]
Bayushi Omoto.jpg
52KB, 377x499px
>>54083294
Well, this is awkward then, isn't it?
>>
>>54083378
Scorpion clan family reunions are a thing of beauty.
>>
File: surpise insult.jpg (67KB, 1023x1020px) Image search: [Google]
surpise insult.jpg
67KB, 1023x1020px
>>54084474
Yep. There really only is one face under all those masks.
>>
File: l5rc01_guest-of-honor.png (236KB, 300x418px) Image search: [Google]
l5rc01_guest-of-honor.png
236KB, 300x418px
>>
>>54087073
yeesh. Dat ability. Question about timing, there's that one card that lets you remove a personality after a battle if you win a military conflict by 5 or more. Since that's played in reaction to the resolution, the Guest here is no longer participating in a conflict, yes?

Crane's will tend towards smaller hands, so having the Guest show up for a picnic while observing a battle can be pretty damn potent to defend against province crushing ponies and the like. Want to check if there is still SOME risk to doing so.
>>
File: 211 Fallen in Battle.png (245KB, 300x418px) Image search: [Google]
211 Fallen in Battle.png
245KB, 300x418px
>>54087320
Characters are definitely still participating in conflicts during resolution.

It also helps to read the card, btw. Fallen in Battle can only target a participating character -- meaning Guest of Honor's effect is definitively still on during the action window.
>>
>>54087073
Who is this autistic qt3.14? Why is she showing off her dolls to these Noble samurai. Are all crane waifus cute autists?
>>
>>54087815
Many of the Kakita are at least. Autistic artists or duelists.
>>
File: l5rc01_asahina_artisan.png (239KB, 300x418px) Image search: [Google]
l5rc01_asahina_artisan.png
239KB, 300x418px
>>
>>54087073
Can someone edit this so the "be patient I'm autistic hat" is on her head? We need memes if L5R is going to survive
>>
File: home invaders.jpg (58KB, 687x480px) Image search: [Google]
home invaders.jpg
58KB, 687x480px
>>54088378
People on plebebook are ahead of the curve. We're falling behind.
>>
>>54087815
Are you implying that slamming dolls together to make them fight or kiss isn't the apex of the Kakita Artisan's storytelling?
>>
File: kakita actors.jpg (167KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
kakita actors.jpg
167KB, 640x480px
>>54088424
They do some next level shit, I tell you what
>>
File: 69fd4322d703a666abde4293b4fa2aa7.jpg (370KB, 1280x1011px) Image search: [Google]
69fd4322d703a666abde4293b4fa2aa7.jpg
370KB, 1280x1011px
Okay, which one of you guys tried to hijack the FFG LCG forum with the Bad Art thread?

Come on, I know that asshole was one of you.
>>
>>54089386
Wait, was that in the bad art thread? That's one of my favorite Asahina pieces.
>>
>>54089386
I honestly don't think that was a 4chan troll. It was too incoherent and too blatent to be anyone but a /pol/tard
>>
File: Writing Problems.png (214KB, 402x535px) Image search: [Google]
Writing Problems.png
214KB, 402x535px
>>
>>54089578
>Hida
>Not Bayushi given his family's insane dynamics, scheming, and dishonor

They even got the colors right, and the Hida were part of that same bullshit.
>>
>>54089656
Being part of the same bullshit is why I went with Hida-- he would be in a position to know how bullshit it was.
>>
>>54089757
It reads as Crabwank. Suggest changing Zuko to a Scorpion or maybe Daidoji.
>>
File: boom headshot.jpg (101KB, 678x960px) Image search: [Google]
boom headshot.jpg
101KB, 678x960px
>>
File: DDlMZxrXoAAZqiB.png-large.png (450KB, 430x600px) Image search: [Google]
DDlMZxrXoAAZqiB.png-large.png
450KB, 430x600px
Crab confirmed to be dishonorable human sacrificers.
>>
File: yogo hiroue.png (762KB, 700x638px) Image search: [Google]
yogo hiroue.png
762KB, 700x638px
>>54090110
The only real honor left in Rokugan is with the Scorpion I see.
>>
Bampu
>>
Which is the worst minor clan and why is it the Ox?
>>
>>54094730
Nah, the Monkey are far worse. They are an abomination unto the Celestial Order and likely a Kolat front.
>>
>>54089578

That's rough, buddy.
>>
>>54090110

I AM

THE WALL
>>
>>54095065
You are a cannibal! Eating innocent scouts for temporary gain!
>>
File: l5c01_ikoma-eiji.png (224KB, 300x418px) Image search: [Google]
l5c01_ikoma-eiji.png
224KB, 300x418px
>>
>>54095864

I never broke the Wall. I am the Wall!
>>
File: l5r01_strength-in-numbers.png (249KB, 300x418px) Image search: [Google]
l5r01_strength-in-numbers.png
249KB, 300x418px
>>
>>54089578
I must've been the only person who liked the 'Hitomi blows Onnotangu the fuck out' storyline.
>>
File: RG_1.jpg (76KB, 600x420px) Image search: [Google]
RG_1.jpg
76KB, 600x420px
>>54098384

Is it a bad thing if every time I think about the new Lion, I hear quotes from pic related in my head?
>>
Can someone sum up the biggest changes to the setting/clans ffg has introduced?
>>
>>54101325
There was a plot reset to before the second day of thunder (so things like scorpion coup, mantis clan, and spider clan have not happened). Some characters that were once men are now women. There are no longer mortal kombat spikes on everything.
>>
File: ep61-1176.png (558KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
ep61-1176.png
558KB, 720x480px
>>54089578

This reminds me... How would you guys implement pic related in Rokugan? IIRC, there is a fan-focused School somewhere (Tessen?), and the Doji Magistrate fights like a Kyoshi Warrior. What Clan and Family tho?
>>
>>54099422
people either like the storyline, or are jealous their clan didn't do anything cool.
>>
>>54102131
matsu honestly feels closest, large proportion of women, painted faces on their death seekers, occasional fan usage (usually akodo related tho)
>>
>>54102266
I mean generally the reasoning for people who disliked it goes like
>A mortal took on a god and killed him? That sounds fucking shit.
Whereas mine is
>A mortal took on a god and killed him? That sounds fucking awesome.
In fact this getting essentially retconned with Jade and Obsidian dragons was the real nonsense plot development. Why the fuck bother with the entire arc if you're gonna rewrite it anyway. Reminds me of how Spider were supposed to get disbaneded when Draggies won the race for the throne, and then Spider was turned into a Great Clan. Good fucking riddance Alderac, good fucking riddance.
>>
>>54102420
My stance is the mysticism/mythology of the setting is a big draw for me. The huge push for "era of mortals" or whatever the fuck it was called with the human sun and moon, the mantis clan, the monkey clan, etc, is all antithetical to what draws me to Rokugan. If I wanted samurai with no divine meddling, I'd get into a realistic samurai setting instead of romantic fantasy china with samurai.
>>
>>54102131
The Tessen technique is worthless, and a ronin path to boot. Really, war fans are worthless in l5r in general

Mechanially, you would need to homebrew a rank 1 technique that made war fans even a little bit worth it to use, and then I would look at Mirumoto Taoist Swordsman and Doji Magistrate for inspiration for the rest of their techniques-- probably for a Monk school, rather than a Bushi one. Lorewise, I would make Kiyoshi a Moshi vassal family founded by a non-Sun Priestess Moshi and her former-Kuni husband.

Moshi Kiyoshi had a stronger affinity for Earth than for Fire or Air, unusual in her family, and was more practical than pious in her outlook. At the same time, because of Family tradition, she couldn't be married out, so her Family found another Earth shugenja willing to marry in. When Chin, the head of a warband of bandits and ronin, tried to invade the valley, it was Moshi Kyoshi who halted their advance with Earth magic, for which she was granted the right to found a vassal family. Strangely, the majority of her children never displayed the shugenja gift, and the samurai who became her followers were those who shared her and her husband's practical attitudes, rather than their ability with Earth magic. Instead, the couple began to develop the Kiyoshi Warrior school for their daughters, training them with the monastic focus of priests, but with a practical physicality inspired by Kiyoshi's own tessen and jiujutsu style and by her husband's knowledge of his former family's own monk school. In the modern empire, Kiyoshi Warriors serve as magistrates and yojimbo for Moshi diplomats, leaving the more prestigious duties of guarding truly important places and people to their colleagues in the Guardians of the Sun. Daughters of the vassal family train in this school, and sons are typically sent to train with the Kuni, along with the rare female shugenja born to the line.
>>
>>54102452
To each his own; I thought Hitomi and Yakamo ascending to Heavens to become the new Moon and Sun made it much more mystic and fantasy. Just keeping the gods around without them doing anything whitout shugenja asking them to is static and dull.
>>
>>54102420
>A mortal took on a god and killed him? That sounds fucking awesome.

The key word here is "sounds".
>>
>>54102452
Fortune favors the mortal man and all that.
The way they went about it was almost 100% retarded, but the concept of a mortal era isn't particularly strange for the setting. Both days of thunder needed mortals, because when it comes down to it, gods and spirits just can't do shit directly.
>>
>>54102508
It's not even just the 'becoming the sun and moon' part, for me, the whole Hitmoi/Yakamo saga is dumb. Incessant hand-swapping, everything about the Crab in that era, Hitomi's boss being body-stealing Togashi, people being Thunders despite how awful they are... the whole thing is just overwrought nonsense. The only part of it I like was the Agasha/Tamori schism, and if there was a way to have that and completely rewrite everything that led up to it, I'd take it.
>>
>>54102506

I kinda like this, but the Kyoshi Warriors had a big ninja-like theme too with ambushing, sneaking and crazy acrobatic stunts. So I dunno if Monk works for this.
>>
>>54102131
>This reminds me... How would you guys implement pic related in Rokugan?
I remember them being jiujitsu specialists that use war fans for flair.

So probably either Hida Pragmatist or Mantis Brawler.
>>
>>54102573
The [Monk] tag is mostly a mechanical thing, you can be a sneaky monk. This way they get kiho instead of kata. The Ninja tag carries a lot of weight in Rokugan, too... if anyone found out you were a ninja, you would be executed at once, and all of the ninja schools there are are highly secretive. The Kiyoshi Warriors seem to exist too openly for that.
>>
>>54100138
Lion clan! Save me!
Lion clan will grow larger
We are the clan guard!
We build for Lion
>>
>>54102515
There were a lot of awful things that happened to the game plot-wise over the two decades of its existence. Many of them were related to Hitomi and Yakamo. Hitomi's fight with Onnotangu was not one of them, at least not as far as I'm concerned.

>>54102562
>the whole Hitmoi/Yakamo saga is dumb. Incessant hand-swapping, everything about the Crab in that era, Hitomi's boss being body-stealing Togashi, people being Thunders despite how awful they are... the whole thing is just overwrought nonsense.
It generally was. But still, having mortals ascend to the position of new Moon and Sun was pretty cool.

The Thunders being flawed was just a way to give them room to develop as characters. Right now FFG is just redoing this - Hotaru is munching the carpet of an obvious femme fatale who was involved in poisoning her father and who's deadly loyal to a clan that is one of Crane's biggest enemies, Toturi is indecisive and spineless etc. Too bad though cause they're just reusing Alderac shit pretty much. It would've been much more interesting to just kill off Toturi in the Lion story, to show that it's a new Rokugan with new ideas how to handle the story.
>>
>>54102630
>Flawed

There's flawed, and then there's being Hitomi or Yakamo. I'm actually pretty happy about Hotaru and Toturi for the moment, their flaws are very grounded as of now.
>>
Is there anywere were I can find cards I could proxy and play? To see if the game is cool for me or not?
>>
>>54102871
You should actually wait till the cards will be out, or at least a sensible portion of them. I'm tired of people complaining about how Crane vs Lion plays because they 'miss' each other as one goes all in political and the other military.
>>
>>54102908
Isn't this a reboot tho?
>>
>>54102630
>The Thunders being flawed was just a way to give them room to develop as characters.

Unlike popular belief, shit character =/= flawed character. The only flawed character Thunder was Toturi, and he never shed his flaw. Everyone else was a shit character, except Otaku Kamoko who was just a discount Hitomi (on a horse!) and possessed no special character traits whatsoever.
>>
>>54102944
wut
>>
>>54102944
Mechanics are different, considerably. it's not a case of Android Netrunner where you could basically pick up a bunch of old Android cards and play them side by side with the new ones. It's essentially a new game.

>>54102947
I won't argue for Yakamo or Hitomi but Toturi, Hoturi and Kachiko did kinda develop. It didn't make me care for them and I hate story development ... stories, because they feel forced as hell and people don't just make heelturns at the tip of the hat like that, but yeah, I've seen worse.
>>
>>54102420
>Reminds me of how Spider were supposed to get disbaneded when Draggies won the race for the throne, and then Spider was turned into a Great Clan.
That was always how the "disbanding" was going to work out, no matter who it happened to. People thought it was "fuck off", when in reality it was "here's some hardship and more screen time until you're a great clan!"

So when Spider got their hardship, no one really noticed but the Spider, until it was over and they got their great clan status and had to lose some of their Spideryness (which the Spider players really didn't like, from what I've heard) to act like they're real samurai.

Scorpion should have won, and I say that as a Dragon player.
>>
>>54100138
I don't much thing this is all that new as Lion go, themewise at least.
>>
>>54103052
>Scorpion should have won, and I say that as a Dragon player.

I agree. Unicorn player here and watching AEG shitting all over the Scorpion playerbase's hard work organizing and following through by making the last leg worth four or five times any previous leg and making that leg a popularity contest at that just to make it "close" because the boys in red were running away with the race was bad bad form. For them to lose because of that was a blow the Scorpion players never really recovered from.

I will say a 90% Crimson and Green court (All Scorpion, with a Dragon Voice, a Mantis Treasurer, and a Spider Advisor) would likely have been kinda shit though. Though that dominance making Scorpion's traditional enemies band together to make a power block to counter them might be interesting.
>>
>>54102600
I was picturing Fan-as-jiujutsu implement too. I think I've got something based off of >>54102506

Kiyoshi (Moshi Vassal)

+1 Willpower

Kiyoshi Warrior [Monk]

School Skills: Jiujutsu, Defense, Kenjutsu, Athletics, Lore: History, Any bugei skill, Any high skill
School Kit: Daisho, War Fan x2, Sturdy Clothes, travel pack, 3 koku

+1 Stamina

Rank 1: Kiyoshi's Grip

Kyioshi's disciples are taught that the fan is merely an extension of the hand, and as nimble as any finger. War fans you wield may be used with the Jiujitsu skill instead of the War Fans skill, and add their DR to your normal unarmed DR. You suffer no penalties of any kind for wielding a war fan in your offhand, and may initiate a grapple with a hand holding a war fan as though it were empty.

Rank 2: Water Parts Around Stone

The Kiyoshi Warrior knows that force may be turned aside and returned with ease. You may add your ranks in Jiujutsu to any constested roll to resist the Knockdown or Disarm maneuvers. If you beat your opponent by 5 or more, you gain a free raise against them that can only be used until the end of your next turn. This Free Raise may be used to initiate or during a Grapple, or on the Knockdown or Disarm Maneuvers.

Rank 3: Stone Flows Like Water

Nimbleness and stability are one and the same for students of Kiyoshi's teachings. Gain a +2k0 bonus to athletics and Stealth rolls. You no longer suffer any ATN penalties from the Grappled Condition.

Rank 4: The Speed of Decisiveness

Swift action follows from swift thought. You may make Jiujutsu Attacks and attacks with Samurai weapons as a Simple Action. You may initiate Grapples as a Simple Action.

Rank 5: The Earth Quakes

The final lesson of the Kiyoshi Warriors is to strike one's foes not with any weapon, but with the earth itself. While in control of a Grapple, you may use the Throw action as a Simple Action. Targets you Throw are also Dazed.
>>
>>54104562
Add Ashigaru Armor to their kit since the ladies are always wearing breastplates.
>>
>>54104670
Good point.
>>
So for the reboot I only have about two requests overall.

1. No retracing. There seems to be this weird sense among the community that the new storyline will basically be the old one. I.e lots of people talking like there will be a couple, there will be a second day of thunder and mantis and spider are 100% coming back. I'd really like it if FFG really made this a radically different plotline.

2 Crab = spider. With the latest crab card preview I would really like crab to basically become a toned down spider clan at some point, using taint and maho as desperate powers to hold the wall while forming massive internal conspiracies to find out who is using dark powers/ who is not.
>>
>>54104562
The Rank 4 is kind of powerful for a monk school, their simple attack actions are usually either really situational (Kuni Witch Hunters getting them against the Tainted) or have a hoop or something to jump through. Samurai keyword weapons and unarmed is basically a bushi school grade technique. Not a super great one, maybe an MC tech but better than a lot of ronin simple attacks.
>>
>>54105156
1) I'm pretty sure we're getting to Day of Thunder 2 at least even if via different means

2) Crab literally sold out to the Shadowlands for power to crush their enemies in the original stories, then expected they could just take the Shadowlands after even though now they'll be in the Empire and shit. Pride more than desperation, but still
>>
>>54090110
>>54105156

I love how you are taking sending another unit on a suicide mission to punch a hole in enemy lines so another unit can break through as fucking maho or dark powers.
>>
>>54105169
Yeah, drop the Samurai weapons and it would be more than sufficient.

>>54104562
Your Rank 1 possibly needs one small change. It should be War Fans in place of your Unarmed Damage or do you intend to them to start as having Strength + 0k2 damage? Also do you intend the school to be able use Juijitsu mastery abilities for damage and have compatibility with Hands of Stone. I don't consider it game breaking by any means but it is something to consider.
>>
>>54105239
But anon, it says sacrifice, so that must mean there's maho. Crab have never been about phyrric victories unless they're maho.
>>
>>54105393
>Crab have never been about phyrric victories unless they're maho.

Surprising but true. Each time the Crab won at a massive cost, some maho fuckery was involved from their part.
>>
>>54047885
Would you be taken by a hot-headed Matsu for husband*
>>
>>54090110
Those are some Rob Liefeld level muscles.
>>
File: Tard of the Re.jpg (10KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
Tard of the Re.jpg
10KB, 180x180px
>>54105393
>Implying you can't tactically sacrifice a unit on the battlefield.
>Confusing mechanical terms with flavor
>See Sacrifice (Chess)

also
>What is the fucking Yu Trait?

The Crab have had phyrric victories as one of their themes for a long ass time.

You might have a point if the card had Kuni Yori nailing poor Hida Sukune up on the Terrible Standard of Fu Leng. But in this case you just have a beat up swole dude standing around with his tetsubo.
>>
>>54105368
Yeah, the intention was to be Strength +0k1 standard unarmed damage +0k1 Fan DR, since 0k2 is pretty much the minimum DR that's genuinely useful and replacing normal unarmed DR with war fan DR outright would actually be a strictly worse. With a standard war fan, Hands of stone, and Jiujutsu 7 that's Strength +1k4,which is only barely better than an Ono and takes a lot of investment, so I'm not concerned about it being gamebreaking, even with being able to do that in a Grapple. Taoist Swordsman can use a Nodachi to do Strength +3k3 in the same circumstances, after all.

As for the masteries, the intention is that you can choose to use either skill and attached set of masteries each time you use a fan. Theoritcally if you had both fans you could only ever attack with one of them and use the other for the ATN bonuses, but that takes investment in boths skills and I'm not sure that would be broken either. I think it would need some playtesting to really know.
>>
>>54105552
Only through the power of Fu Leng can one get so swole. Togashi Yokuni is clearly Fu Leng this go around
>>
>>54105552
should I have added a "/s"?
>>
>>54104562

I dunno, but the Kyoshi Warriors never struck me as Earth-themed. They were more Air/Water with a touch of Fire. Kyoshi also seemed to prefer Air despite being an Earth Avatar (kinda like Korra preferring Fire despite being a Water Avatar).

Also, not enough sneaky stuff.
>>
File: Togashi_Yokuni_3[1].jpg (75KB, 640x489px) Image search: [Google]
Togashi_Yokuni_3[1].jpg
75KB, 640x489px
>>54105671
Nah bro. Yokuni has always been beefy AF.

>>54105628
Let them use fans as improvised weapons. That uses jujitsu, and improvised weapons were intended to do 0k2 damage, by word of Shawn Carman.
>>
>>54105994
How are improvised weapons supposed to work with the Strike action in a grapple? Can you use their DR, or do they not count as 'unarmed' for that purpose?
>>
>>54106135
Improvised weapons do not use your unarmed damage.
>>
>>54106135
>Certain weapons, primarily chain weapons and certain polearms, may be used to grapple opponents. These types of grapples are identical to normal grapples, except that the attack roll and control rolls use the appropriate Weapon Skill in place of Jiujutsu, and a Hit inflicts damage based on the weapon instead of unarmed damage.
The rules allow for the GM to say weapons can be used in grapples. The skill wouldn't change, and the weapon damage applies.
>>
>>54106218
>>54106323
Alright, I'll write up a v2 later when I'm not busy any longer.

It really goes to show how awful war fans are when using them as an improvised weapon is twice as effective as using them the way they were designed to be used.
>>
>>54106523
To be fair, war fans aren't intended to be useful as weapons. They're supposed to be useful in defence, used in the off hand with an actual weapon in the main hand. Lion general style.
>>
>>54106967
They're also signaling devices. Anyone with War Fans and Perform: Drums can cleanly communicate across a battlefield.
>>
>>54106967
They're not intended to, sure, but they have their own weapon skill that goes as high as any other weapon skill, and fighting with them using that skill in the way that they are theoretically best suited to being used, they do less damage than if you use them no differently than a discarded sake bottle or a stool leg. There just seems to be a flaw with how they were mechanically implemented when compared to an improvised weapon.
>>
>>54107446
I do agree that any weapon should do more than barehanded. I'd have had them doing 1k1 or 2k1 with the defensive bonuses something like +Skill to ATN with with a dual-wield mastery bonus at Skill 3.
>>
File: togashi yokuni 1.jpg (717KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
togashi yokuni 1.jpg
717KB, 720x960px
>>54105994
He looks less too jacked to even move his arms well this edition.
>>
>>54108135
True, but it's an artefact of its era, and I like it for that. O5R Yokuni could bend his arms where ever the hell he wants. Or yours. His summary was "In short, Yokuni gets what Yokuni wants", and that ends with leaving people "confused and slightly disturbed".

Smells like 90s and Wick.
>>
File: 1411432747573.jpg (99KB, 540x710px) Image search: [Google]
1411432747573.jpg
99KB, 540x710px
>>
File: bow.jpg (170KB, 1399x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bow.jpg
170KB, 1399x1000px
Not ripping your nipples off is for heimin babbies
>>
>>54109906
They're not stickers, anon. They don't just peel off.
>>
File: bitches love bows.jpg (228KB, 426x640px) Image search: [Google]
bitches love bows.jpg
228KB, 426x640px
>>54110057
Not with that attitude they don't.
>>
File: archery.png (274KB, 715x813px) Image search: [Google]
archery.png
274KB, 715x813px
>>54110134
They sure do.
>>
File: crab waifu.png (693KB, 700x638px) Image search: [Google]
crab waifu.png
693KB, 700x638px
>>
Void points: Once per session, or once per in-game day? Just played the game for the first time, we did once per session (and that's all I've ever heard in online discussions) but after deciding to brush up on the core rules to slow down the slew of questions I noticed it says you get them once per day.

Is there any particular reason for this confusion? I can see why once per in-game day would end up being really ridiculous, especially in certain scenarios.
>>
>>54110570
Once per game day. What do you mean confusion? I've never heard of anyone getting confused about this before.
>>
>>54110570
Some games have things like that recharge per out-of-game session, so some people just assume it's actually like that, or make it that way on purpose.

There are ways to recharge them early, specifically meditation and tea ceremonies, and making it per-session can devalue those skills in action heavy days.
>>
>>54110652
>Some games have things like that recharge per out-of-game session, so some people just assume it's actually like that, or make it that way on purpose.
I figured it was either an older edition holdover (the GM has run 3e games before) or a balance reason but if it's just a misunderstanding then I'll bring it up.

>There are ways to recharge them early, specifically meditation and tea ceremonies, and making it per-session can devalue those skills in action heavy days.
Actually what's funny is that it made meditation seem downright OP as that was the only way to get void points back in between days. One player is playing a monk and he basically got to void six or seven times in our first session because he would meditate at the drop of a hat. Of course that's his specialty and that's fine, it's just crazy how much value he got out of what was a relatively small amount of investment.
>>
>>54106523
The promised v2. Any further comments?

Kiyoshi (Moshi Vassal)

+1 Willpower

Kiyoshi Warrior [Monk]

School Skills: Jiujutsu, Defense, War Fans, Athletics, Lore: History, Any bugei skill, Any high skill
School Kit: Ashigaru Armour, Daisho, War Fan x2, Sturdy Clothes, travel pack, 3 koku
Starting Honour 4.5

+1 Stamina

Rank 1: Kiyoshi's Grip

Kyioshi's disciples are taught that the fan is merely an extension of the hand, as nimble as any finger. Gain +0k1 to War Fan DR. You also suffer no penalties of any kind for wielding a war fan in your offhand, and may use the War Fans skill in place of Jiujutsu to initiate or control a grapple using a hand holding a war fan as though it were empty. While in control of a grapple, you may use your War Fan’s DR for the Strike and Throw actions.

Rank 2: Water Parts Around Stone

The Kiyoshi Warrior knows that force may be turned aside and returned with ease. You may add your ranks in War Fans to any contested roll to resist the Knockdown or Disarm maneuvers. If you beat your opponent by 5 or more, you gain a free raise against them that can only be used until the end of your next turn. This Free Raise may be used to initiate or during a Grapple, or on the Knockdown or Disarm Maneuvers.

Rank 3: Stone Flows Like Water

Nimbleness and stability are one and the same for students of Kiyoshi's teachings. Gain a +2k0 bonus to Athletics and Stealth rolls. You no longer suffer any ATN penalties from the Grappled Condition.

Rank 4: The Speed of Decisiveness

Swift action follows from swift thought. You may make Attack with War Fans as a Simple Action. You may initiate Grapples as a Simple Action.

Rank 5: The Earth Quakes

The final lesson of the Kiyoshi Warriors is to strike one's foes not with any weapon, but with the earth itself. While in control of a Grapple, you may use the Throw action as a Simple Action. Targets you Throw are also Dazed.
>>
So, I'm playing a Shosuro Infiltrator for the first time. Any tips for cool stuff I could do mechanically? Is poison worth investing ranks of Craft into?

Said Infiltrator also happens to be a Yogo with the Yogo Curse. On a scale of 1-10, how fucked am I gonna be when the curse triggers?
>>
>>54111223
Standard rank 1 is some kind of effect, and +1k0 to something.

Rather than having a main theme and a secondary theme ... you have war fan grappling.

Grappling is *really* good without techniques to make you better, just based on the fact that most NPCs aren't juijutsu masters.

Negating the ATN penalty for grappling is given to rank 4 Kolat path, Guardian Of The Hidden Temple. Too far at rank 3, imo.

http://www.kazenoshiro.com/2013/01/28/l5r-4th-edition-designer-diaries/

#8 is bushi schools, but the principles are still useful.

>Technique 1: Introduction of themes of the School. Most often, this Technique is formed of two small yet distinct abilities. For example, the Hida Bushi Technique 1 highlights the resilience of the Hida Bushi and the ease in which he uses heavy weapons.

>Technique 2: Introduction of secondary theme. This includes themes unique to the School (the Akodo Bushi’s reliance on honor, the Bayushi Bushi’s trickiness, or the Hiruma Bushi’s dodging) or universal themes that stretch out over multiple Schools. Those themes include the iaijutsu secondary theme and the yojimbo secondary theme.

>Technique 3: In Tier One Schools, this Technique is the second attack. In Tier Two Schools, this Technique often introduces the secondary theme or increases synergy with the first Technique. These Techniques are often slightly stronger than the average Technique to compensate for the delayed second attack, and is often times a Fun Ability (see below).

>Technique 4: Fun Ability. This Technique needs to be something the player can activate during his combat for a powerful impact on the fight. This ability should tie in with the primary theme of the School. The Hida Bushi, for example, is able to daze the target with one strong blow.

>Technique 5: Powerful Technique (or, Make Me Want to Play This School). I believe that title is self explanatory!
>>
>>54111386
>how fucked am I gonna be when the curse triggers?
Talk with your GM. The more you try to push it to activation to get it out of the way, the worse it's supposed to be. You will absolutely know when it happens. No one else can be certain.

>Any tips for cool stuff I could do mechanically?
Great clans p281, Goju Ninja rank 3: essentially vid related.
https://youtu.be/aEYmMQy5F7E?t=78

>Sometimes, ideas come along just a little bit too late. The Rank 3 Technique ability for the Goju Ninja School regarding shuriken is, one would hope, delightfully flavorful for ninja of all sorts, not just the creatures of Shadow. GMs who wish to portray the Shosuro Infiltrators as being more ‘classically ninja’ in their abilities are encouraged to apply this same ability to the Shosuro Infiltrator School in the L5R RPG 4th Edition core rulebook.

Book Of Water p177: The Scorpion's Tail rank 3 path - climbing with chain weapons and cutting hamstrings.

Other than that, just take Shosuro ancestor. +3k1 bonus to all Stealth, Acting, and Sincerity (Deceit) skill rolls.

> Is poison worth investing ranks of Craft into?
Really up to your GM.
>>
>>54111550
I'm actually not trying to minimize damage, I figure the conflict will actually turn out really fun to RP. My character is actually trying to prevent triggering it by staying distant from others, but I'm hoping that eventually he'll run into someone he really likes (romantically or platonically), and have to worry about his curse hurting them.

And thanks for bringing up the Scorpion's Tail path. Does it actually let you attack as a Simple Action? If so, I may end up taking that.

While I'm at it, what are some neat dirty tricks I could use as an Infiltrator? I'm trying to brainstorm some sneaky tricks I could try using in a pinch.
>>
>>54111738
The thing about the Yogo curse is that it is not limited to triggering off of a person. Sometimes you end up betraying the cause closest to your heart-- particularly if it's people that has you worried. When the curse strikes, it's always unexpected.
>>
>>54111738
Just saying.

>Does it actually let you attack as a Simple Action?
No. Also, my mistake; it's rank 3 Bayushi Bushi, rank 4 Shosuro Infiltrator.

>While I'm at it, what are some neat dirty tricks I could use as an Infiltrator?
Things the school can do? It's basically a direct assassination school - hit from ambush, escape without notice.

Things you can do? Watch murder mysteries for ideas (Benadryl Cabbagepatch / Sherlock Holmes has a few), and watch samurai movies to see how Bushido can be twisted around on someone. Read 1e Way Of The Scorpion, and the "Playing A Ninja" section of Great Clans.

Above all - when you're somewhere you're not supposed to be, doing something you're not supposed to, create alibis.

Find someone who wants to do something they shouldn't (like having an affair), and help them do whatever it is. Be their alibi. They won't reveal that you helped them, because their secret would be revealed.
>>
>>
So how's the hype surrounding the LCG for you guys. For me it's non existent, I mean I wanna play the game and get into it. But it's starting to look like at best it will be another AGOT 2nd. It'll stick for a month and then die.

But that's just my area, even NetRunner is dwindling down to nothing.
>>
>>54113320
They're making changes to characters (Hotaru, et al) that at best feels like blatant pandering, so the more they delve into that, the less I care about what they're doing.

I might see if a local LCG crowd pops up, but if it's much of the old CCG crowd, I probably won't get into it.

That leaves the RPG. Genesys' non-standard dice pushing is something I'm even less enthused for, so I'll probably just pirate it for the same reasons I have OA Rokugan. Unless they surprise me and stick to R&K, that is. (fat chance there)
>>
>>54113534
Honestly I don't mind Hotaru being a grill this universe. She's a fuckup trying to do good in the highest office in her kingdom, it feels alright to me.

I am curious about how Altansarnai will be though.
>>
>>54113583
>Honestly I don't mind Hotaru being a grill this universe
Yeah, it's not what's between his/her legs that factors in here. Girl/Guy/George Foreman Cooking Appliance/Whatever. I question where they're coming from when they decide to make these changes, and whether they're going to do right by it. Some of it, I'd say yes. Other bits, wait and see.
>>
So, here's another rules question:

Do you roll initiative when starting an Iajutsu duel?

I ask because, for one, the Iajutsu duel section constantly talks about initiative turns and whether actions occur during the 'faster' or 'slower' participants turns, and for two, I'm playing a Bayushi Bushi who gets +5 TN to Armor when I have initiative over my attacker, meaning if initiative is actually rolled and I win it I will be slightly harder to hit.

I really can't see any other mechanical reason for initiative in an Iajutsu duel except possibly if one was going on in the middle of a skirmish and it mattered to determine when the stages of the duel occurred, though. So it's an interesting question and the rulebook is pretty unclear about it.
>>
>>54113766
>A Duel is not a Skirmish: For simplicity of game terms and rules, the timing and structure of a duel is organized into Rounds rather than invent some other unique term for the three phases of the duel (Assessment, Focus, Strike). Also, by structuring a duel in Rounds, it can take place during a larger skirmish scene – for example, a duelist PC and a bandit leader might engage in an iaijutsu duel while the rest of the PCs and the remaining bandits fight a normal skirmish. However, it cannot be emphasized enough that the duel itself is NOT a skirmish; players should not assume that the normal skirmish rules and mechanics, such as Initiative, apply to duels.
>>
>>54111223

Family Bonus and School Bonus should be +1 Agility and +1 Reflexes, respectively. For School Skills, Stealth should replace Lore: History. Maybe Kenjutsu instead of the free Bugei Skill.

I'm also not sure about the Grapple focus. The only scene I remember about a Kyoshi Warrior grappling someone was Suki's thumb wrench against Sokka in their introduction episode. They seemed to be more about quickly incapacitating opponents with Disarm/Knockdown/Entanglement. It would be actually pretty cool if they had a Technique for Entangling their opponent - the Magical Realm would be real with this one.
>>
Any Unicorn previews yet?
>>
File: VoiceOfHonor.png (434KB, 360x502px) Image search: [Google]
VoiceOfHonor.png
434KB, 360x502px
>>54116586

If you type "mongolian female names" into Google, then the very first name in the very first result is the name of the Unicorn Clan Champion. That's how much FFG cares about the Unicorn.

I think we have a few spoiled cards tho.
>>
>>54117012
>The name of the clan champion has to be obscure and unique!

Golden Flower is a fine name. Get over it.
>>
>>54117012
I like it. Pls no bully
>>
>>54111386
I'm watching you little scorpion.
>>
>>54115987

What about this?

Kyoshi Family (Mantis Clan Family) +1 Reflexes

Kyoshi Warrior (Bushi)
Trait Bonus: +1 Agility
School Skills: Athletics, Defense, Jiujutsu, Stealth 2, War Fans, any one non-Merchant Skill
Starting Honor: 6.0
Starting Gear: Ashigaru Armor, Daisho, two War Fans, Traveling Pack, 5 Koku

Rank 1: The Way of Kyoshi
Get a Free Raise for Athletics and Stealth Skill rolls as well as any Attack rolls using the War Fans Skill. You don't suffer penalties from dual-wielding War Fans. When controlling a a Grapple or resolving a Disarm or Knockdown Maneuver, you gain a number of bonus unkept dice to the Contested roll equal to your opponent's Strength Trait.

Rank 2: The Ties That Bind
Make a melee attack as a Complex Action. It deals no damage, but if it hits, the target becomes Entangled.

Rank 3: Strike With Righteousness
You may make attacks with War Fans and Samurai weapons as a Simple Action.

Rank 4: Incapacitating Assault
Make a melee attack as a Complex Action. It deals no damage, but if it hits, you can either disarm the target, knock him prone, or throw him as per the Grapple option.

Rank 5: Kyoshi's Supreme Technique
Whenever you are being targeted by an attack you can spend a Void Point to completely negate that attack.

By the way, the movie version of the Kyoshi Warriors (pic related) would even fit Rokugan aesthetically.
>>
>>54110570

My GM ruled it so we could recover all our void points if we performed a group tea ceremony and seriously roleplayed it.
>>
File: 1353188367032.jpg (453KB, 850x1204px) Image search: [Google]
1353188367032.jpg
453KB, 850x1204px
>>
File: 1353214676514.jpg (285KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1353214676514.jpg
285KB, 1280x960px
>>
File: 1352430897370.jpg (907KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1352430897370.jpg
907KB, 1000x1500px
>>
Is O-Ushi coming back?
>>
>>54127960
Almost certainly. Crab fic is next week, I'm betting the POV will be her or Yakamo aiming at their father.

Or maybe it'll be Kisada himself
>>
>>54127960
I *hope* the only good Crab from the era is coming back.
>>
>>54127960
I believe that she's been name dropped by the story team already, but you shouldn't expect her to get a card in the core set; if the Crane, Lion and Dragon are anything to go by the only returning personalities getting cards in the core set are the clan champions. No Matsu Tsuko, no Mirumoto Hitomi, etc. etc. They're all going to have to wait for dynasty packs.
>>
>>54127980
>>54128074
>>54128093

What if FFG gives Yakamo the Hotaru treatment?
>>
>>54128362
So does Kisada now have two girls or do Yakamo and O-Ushi swap narrative roles?
>>
>>54128386

If FFG wants to work the mirror of the Hotaru/Kachiko angle with Kisada/Hitomi, then I could see them giving Kisada two daughters.
>>
>>54128386
>>54128418
A big part of O-Ushi's plot is her marriage to that Shinjo whose name I can't recall. I don't think you could genderswap her without losing a lot of her iconic events.
>>
>>54128779

I meant Kisada would have two girls. O-Ushi would stay the same, but Yakamo would also be a girl and have a respect/hate relationship with Hitomi.
>>
>>54128850
I'm not disagreeing. It was an elaboration on the idea that even if they did change Kisada, they likely would not change O-Ushi.
>>
>>54127960
I hope so. Best waifu
>>
File: Hida-O-Ushi.jpg (196KB, 1500x750px) Image search: [Google]
Hida-O-Ushi.jpg
196KB, 1500x750px
>>54127960

I want wacky young!O-Ushi stories, and not the edgy shit we had in the old canon. Like, her marriage was a fan favorite for a reason, gimme stuff like that.
>>
>>54131953
>Like, her marriage was a fan favorite for a reason
Standing out from the norm?
>>
>>54131953
The problem with the O-Ushi marriage story is I think FFG is inclined to make the lower samurai marrying up the norm, regardless of gender. Therefor, O-Ushi would only leave the Crab if she was engaged to someone above her.
>>
>>54132717
You say 'make', but that was AEG's thing. You can't make a thing be a thing when it's already that thing.
>>
>>54132849
O-Ushi's entire plot was built on the idea that it's typical that the woman marries into the men's family (or becomes the homekeeper) regardless of status.
>>
>>54132924
>The most important part of the contract will spell out if the bride will join the groom’s family or vice-versa. Usually, whoever has the lower social station (e.g. Status) will join the family of the higher-Status partner, so many families seek women of slightly lower station to marry their sons. This rule is not absolute, however.

Like I said. Already a thing.
>>
File: 1472276825088.jpg (2MB, 1768x1349px) Image search: [Google]
1472276825088.jpg
2MB, 1768x1349px
>>
How often do Scorpions fuck over your games?
How often do the Crane?
>>
>>54113320
I'm in agreement. I think this game's gonna fail, or be functionally dead very quickly. Which depresses me so god damned much.

We are currently witnessing the decline of the LCG'S, and adding a new one isn't going to fix that IMO.

Hope I'm wrong.
>>
>>54136833
You gotta understand that people will play L5R, no matter how bad it is, simply because its name is L5R. The product AEG was shitting out for decades was garbage.

Really I think FFG has learned their lesson with their mistakes in AGoT and Netrunner, and it shows how focused L5R is on its gameplay elements.
>>
>>54136637
Never because my players who play either clan, even when going balls out, aren't dicks.
>>
>>54132924
No, her entire plot point was that she wanted to be the dominant member of her marriage. She was always going to stay Hida (The entire point of Yakamo forcing her to get married was that he couldn't/wouldn't and the ruling line needs heirs), but a political marriage might still put her in a weaker position in her home life. The entire tournament was a last ditch effort by Yakamo to get her hitched to literally anyone, because the living members of the ruling line weren't getting any younger. She even entered herself for the right to not get married at all.
>>
File: 1413669159159.jpg (220KB, 1260x866px) Image search: [Google]
1413669159159.jpg
220KB, 1260x866px
>>
>>54139339

If the dice gods had smiled upon her at that moment with a roll that beat Daidoji Uji's roll by 5, then there would not have been the simultaneous kharmic strike that knocked both O-Ushi and Uji out.
>>
how does Crab relatively scale with you guys?
>>
File: CAW.png (162KB, 1338x535px) Image search: [Google]
CAW.png
162KB, 1338x535px
>>54143442
In an armored, pinching manner.
>>
>>54143643
I find it ironic that, since the Kaiu are the best armour smiths, Crab armour probably *never* pinches.
>>
File: 1351271710659.jpg (424KB, 1280x905px) Image search: [Google]
1351271710659.jpg
424KB, 1280x905px
>>
Out of curiosity, what other RPGs are similar to L5R?
>>
>>54148876
Tenra Bansho Zero?

dunno, but that would be in the loosest sense of the word.
>>
>>54148876
Qin, Blood & Honor?
Thread posts: 255
Thread images: 63

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.