[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Microscope/Worldbuilding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

File: 515Erzlf9LL.jpg (55KB, 937x1387px) Image search: [Google]
515Erzlf9LL.jpg
55KB, 937x1387px
Do you guys ever played microscope? What was yours impressions? It work to create a campaign setting, or there are better system for this?
>>
1) At a con once.

2) Decent, possibly good.

3) Hard to say, but I'll go on a leg and say no. Building settings is something pretty simple anyway, no dedicated systems are generally necessary. At most something like Perilous Locations for Dungeon World.
>>
File: 20170628_153740.jpg (5MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
20170628_153740.jpg
5MB, 4608x3456px
Unrelated to Microscope, but I'm bored as a doornail at work and just made this

No detailed fluff planned out, but the reds and greens are going to be adversaries and the blue will be neutral
The scribbly thing in the middle is an asteroid field, the colored shaped indicate strong military presence and the collection of black dots is an assembly of semi-artificial satellites that concentrate factories, trading posts and shipyards
I was thinking of having the greens be a breakaway faction from the reds, the reds being a militaristic empire on the decline trying to reclaim its colonies and the blue being a (possibly alien) faction of vastly technologically superior merchants, trading with both factions and profiting from the war (notably, they control the only stable corridor through the asteroid field)
Rate my sector, give advice or berate me for shitting out yet another a bog standard sci-fi setting
>>
Yes, It's good. Not exactly.

You could run a microscope game, and end up with the beginnings of a setting, but I think it'll be hit or miss (because depending on the players moods and phase of the moon, you might get very different stories -- "I wanted Game of Thrones and I got Discworld")

That said, I like to start a campaign with a couple of prologue sessions (using whatever system, an elevator pitch version of the setting).

Then you bust out microscope. Only allow scenes to be before the other game. Play a couple of games (one is enough though). You're creating the legends and stories in your setting (which have a nugget of truth). This gives you myths to build on, to reincorporate. It gives the players the sort of grounding (and agency) in the setting. They know things about your setting that they'd otherwise have to get from some ham-handed exposition.
>>
>>54047608
I will check this Perilous Locations, seems like there very useful things.

>>54048226
It's worldbuilding to, i think this is related, pretty cool by the way.

>>54048509
Thank you very much, for the tips, i will do this. I was thinking in do something like that, but just some guidelines in the beginning... Anyway you was very helpful.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.