[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Werebears

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (69KB, 799x610px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
69KB, 799x610px
>Werebears are listed as good aligned in various monster manuals

How do you interpret werebears with this in mind? Do they protect travelers on the road? Are people infected with ursine lycanthropy defenders of their village? Defenders of nature who associate with druids and rangers? Just big teddy bears?
>>
>>54046337
They just really love honey.
>>
If a person is a werebear then would his lycanthropy passed to the offspring of this person?
>>
>>54046337
A werewolf lycanthrope is infected by the blood and spirit of a wolf (Traditionally, the memetic medieval european understanding of a wolf) - thus he is a prowler in the night, a vicious hunter that kills and maims, sometimes for fun, and howls at the moon. Full-on predator.
(Of course, werewolves have become somewhat differently understood since modern americans tend to think of wolves in a perspective influenced by native american philosophy, a noble hunter, etc. etc. )

A werebear would, I imagine, embody the memetic image of bears in the olden days.
A ferocious killer - if poked and annoyed. A warden of the forest, a territorial loner, shy but with incredible capacity for violence.

>Almost never seen
>Not good or bad, but aligned with the forests they live in, like druids.
>Pseudo-predatorial, a lean winter might draw them out, but on the other hand, they are almost certainly not exclusive carnivores, and could perhaps be befriended-
>>
File: yogi.jpg (11KB, 280x348px) Image search: [Google]
yogi.jpg
11KB, 280x348px
>>54046337
>>54046343
Bullshit. They're chaotic neutral and constantly trying to steal picnic baskets.
>>
>>54046337
They attack travellers with the intention of infecting them too with lycanthropy and spreading good. When everyone's a bear no one is evil.
>>
>>54046337
Wearbears are closer to the top of the food chain, and thus hunt the larger, less contested prey in the wilds, the majority of which happens to have a high enough CR to be evil.
>>
>>54046337
Literally just that bear guy from the Hobbit.
>>
>>54046644
Makes sense
>>
>>54046655
this is the best answer because it makes sense with how people over-anthropomorphize animals and give them motives they cant possible have

>alignment is a man-made construct, thus a werebear having any sort of alignment is retarded
>its 'lawful good' only comes about because it happens to regularly kill big evil monsters that are threatening people
>in reality it only does that because those are the only threats it perceives, and is just a reclusive territorial bear that happens to not cross paths with humans much, so it doesn't kill them often
>>
>>54046629
>Hey, Boo Boo
>What Yoga?
>Let's go get us a pic-a-nic basket!
>>
File: Medved.jpg (22KB, 288x500px) Image search: [Google]
Medved.jpg
22KB, 288x500px
The best Werebear.
Doesn't act like a total cunt despite being provoked by demon spawn in the form of the little girl trying to get him on the dark side.
>>
>>54046657
Don't remind me of this please... they ruined everything in the movie and gave him a story of "WE WAZ SLAVEZ N' SHIT I KEEP MA CHAINS TO REMIND ME OF MA ANGER", made him look like a Neanderthal and then went on to say he was the last of his kind.
>>
>>54046676
>>alignment is a man-made construct, thus a werebear having any sort of alignment is retarded
Werebears are still people, just ones who happen to turn into a bear during full moon(or by some other trigger).
>>
>>54046861
yeah but I was assuming it was a full transformation, like the will of the bear itself is the only thing making the decisions, and it sees your house as its territory, so it defends shit near it
>the whole night it just seeks out big shit to kill that your human self knows about, but is scared of
>>
>>54046337
Where? Bears? Men that are bears?
>>
>>54046876
Depends on if we're talking about people who are born as therianthropes or afflicted with it. Natural-born were-creatures remain themselves even when transformed, those who have been infected with it often don't.

Assuming, of course, that we're talking about standard D&D, which also means that alignments are not man-made constructs but universal forces.
>>
>>54046907
hm

well fuck it then, guess im on some bullshit
>>
>>54046481
>lycanthropy
>>54046337
>ursine lycanthropy

>bears
>lycanthropy
>LYCAN
>λύkος
>wolf

You retards triggered my autism with your idiocy.
>>
>>54046937
Arktanthropy.
>>
>>54046937
your autism is not wanted here, go back to tumblr
>>
Personally, I love the image of a wicked old miser tossing and turning in their sleep. Visions of them caring for orphans haunting their dreams. Finally, they wake up in a cold sweat, and start to catch their breath. Then, they slowly, ever so slowly, look down at their checkbook. A charitable donation. No, not just one - dozens of them.
>>
>>54046337
How can anything bear-related by good? Bears are godless killing machines.
>>
>>54046937
Psst: Language evolves over time.
>>
>>54047033
>your autism is not wanted here
>/tg/
Goddamn redditors

>>54047096
Psst: You can't use that as an excuse for every piece of dumb shit and lycantrophy is still pretty fixed in its meaning
Now even if it wouldn't be and if we assume fantasy world standards there no reason to only name it after wolves if different kinds of weremen exist.
>>
>>54047159
Were means man. Wereman means manman.
>>
>>54047308
I'm glad you got it but I expected somebody to go
a delusion in which one imagines oneself to be a wolf or other wild animal.
the supposed or fabled assumption of the appearance of a wolf by a human being.

>other wild animal
First, so I could have said that it's an outdated medical term that used to be used for crazy people.
Now I'm sad.
>>
>>54046937
THANK YOU.
>>
>>54047096
You mean like how people like you are now called Faggots?
>>
>>54047371
>>54047308
>>54047159
I think you mean werefaggot.
>>
>>54046937
Zoanthrope for the whole group?
>>
>>54047404
I think Therianthrope is the more commonly used term.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinical_lycanthropy
It may have its roots as being associated with wolves exclusively. But clinical lycanthropy has expanded to include all forms of animal transformation.
Granted this is the real world medical condition, but its nomenclature works well when applied to the mythical version. Provided that everyone at the table can avoid going full sperglord.
>>
Best solution - they're like real bears and don't fuck with people unless provoked. Then again, that's kinda bullshit when you consider that werewolves would therefore act the same way but don't.
>>
>>54047665
>But clinical lycanthropy has expanded to include all forms of animal transformation.
Nope that's dumb you fucking idiot, there was an argument against that only a few posts above yours
>First, so I could have said that it's an outdated medical term that used to be used for crazy people.

The actual transformationshit was not only never meant with that, it would also be fucking dumb to use it for that because even the medical term isn't used anymore because it's dumb.
It's like saying that you can call syphillis pox because people used to say "great pox" to it

>>54047790
You can blame that on hunting instincts running wild for wolves, for bears that would be laze around and seek honey instincts.
>>
Alignments are retarded. A lycan has the same alignment it did before it was infected unless it's actions would change it, as with any intelligent creature.
>>
>>54048430
Only in natural lycanthropes or ones that have learned how to control their change. Most of the time your animal form has a mind of its own, which has its own alignment.
>>
>>54046886
M'aiq is tired of your questions.
>>
>>54046937
Monster manual still calls them lycanthropes.

As does TES which also has varied werecreatures.

One of the lorebooks even points this out.
>>
>>54046337
With this in mind, I wouldn't consider werebears as cursed or diseased. I'd make them a race with families, settlements and customs.
Werewolves are still full-moon-cursed-bite-killing-machines, organizing in packs whenever their affliction manifests. Weretigers and werelions are blessed by the gods/spirits of nature, it's usually the reward for a particularly important service.
>>
>>54047159
Why don't you go complain about how wight means a living sentient being but it refers to an undead monster.
>>
>Evil aligned character gets bitten by a werebear
>Even in human form werebears have to be always LG

Is this how a heel face turn starts? Does he go from pillaging to just playing his banjo in the woods?
>>
>>54046337
>How do you interpret werebears with this in mind?
It's based on the werebear from The Hobbit.
>>
>>54046861
It should be by winter, winter triggers the bears, not the moon
>>
>>54046937
How are bears called?
>>
>>54052720
I've never heard a term for bear specifically, but for general werebeasts it's therianthropy.
>>
>>54052956
What is the source of the word therian and lycan anyway? Maybe we can extract how to be a bear
>>
>>54053055
They're both derived from greek. Arkoúda is the greek word for bear, but Arkoudathropy just doesn't roll off the tongue like the others
>>
>>54052695
>winter
>the time they're mostly hibernating
Wow, being a werebear sure sounds like an exciting life.
>>
>>54053213
But lycan is a derived word isn't it? So we have to derive a word from Arkouda that sounds good with thropy.
>>
>>54053390
Arkothropy?
Arkodthropy?
Arkodathropy?
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.