[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Arthurian legend inspired settings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

File: battle of Camlann.jpg (117KB, 560x770px) Image search: [Google]
battle of Camlann.jpg
117KB, 560x770px
What do you think of settings inspired by Arthurian legend? Have you taken any subplots or stories from any of the various works associated with Arthurian legend?

Other than taking inspiration from specific stories like the quest for the holy grail, I think it's interesting that you could take a more historical approach and base it around what 400-500 ad Britain would be like, with saxons invading, dwindling population in cities, and the retreat of direct roman rule. Or you could focus on the medieval tellings of chivalry, with knights and princesses and a background of inevitable ruin. Either way magic could be of the strange druidic variety involving faeries and witches. Players might play as knights picked up by a noble king who seeks to restore the land, and sends his knights on various quests to gather artifacts, companions, or just prestige and honor. If players want to focus on the political side of things that might be an option too, considering how likely it would be for warlords to pop up in such a setting. Seems like a perfect setting for D&D.
>>
I adore Arthruian legend, but because of that I try to hold back from using it most of the time, even if I've got a few settings and games lying around just waiting for their chance.

Of the games I'm in at the moment, the one with the most Arthurian elements is strangely a Magical Girl game in the Nanoha setting. Old Belka, a fallen magical superpower, was a land of knights and nobility, so the GM has been using Arthurian myth to flesh out the culture and backstory. None of it has been directly relevant yet, but one of the PC's was discovered to be a distant descendant of Morgana le Fay, we've found a few hints of the actions of an ancient, legendary mage called Merlin who is said to predate Belka itself, and we recently discovered a lost enclave founded by the followers of Mordred, reduced to primitivism in the remains of a once huge and advanced magical city.
>>
>>54044132
>Seems like a perfect setting for D&D.
You had me right up to here, anon.

Bravo.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.