[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Human Ethnicities?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Humanraces-1.jpg (169KB, 626x409px) Image search: [Google]
Humanraces-1.jpg
169KB, 626x409px
Question for other DM/GMs coming from something of a novice.

Is it common to ask anyone in the party playing a human character to pick from one of the human ethnicities from the setting? I've found that almost every official campaign setting does something like this in multiple games. I know Paizo made a book for the humans of Golarion for Pathfinder.

For example, the 3.5e game I'm hosting now is set in Greyhawk and since most people picked humans, I thought it would be nice to ask them to pick from one of the human ethnic groups provided by the setting's lore(Oeridians, Baklunish, Suel, Flan, etc.). They still had all the human racial traits and there was no technical difference on what they picked, but I'm hoping to spice up aspects of roleplaying with it.

They were all cool with it and picked their ethnic backgrounds, granted most went with Oeridians but it's cool. I then gave them what I know of the human race they picked, where they might have come from, what the their culture is like, all as only suggestions for backstories, their characters are all still their own.

So what I'm asking is if this is something I should bring to future campaigns I host or not. Does it depend if the party wants it? Or is this pretty common with D&D groups?
>>
>>54040563
Always bring up human ethnicity, and ethnicity in general. It's not only a way to make characters a little more interesting and fit them more into the world, but it also serves to set up plot hooks if they ever go travelling farther afield.
>>
Let me put it like this.

Do you notice people's ethnicity on a day to day basis? Not just whether they're white, brown, yellow or whatever, but nuances beyond that. Do you guess people's nationality?

Of course you do. So put it in, it's part of being human. Unless they're an elf, in which case they probably don't give a fuck.
>>
>>54040609
Okay good, there's a dwarf in my party, though I didn't bring up ethnicity with her because dwarves seem kind of homogenous from what I read, just maybe suggesting a clan would be good enough? I gave her a list of the lands dwarves commonly hail from so is that enough?
>>
You sound like you're doing well if you're familiarizing them with the setting somewhat and helping them immerse themselves.

And yeah, bringing up an ethnicity within a character's race is a sign of a good DM. Hope you have fun in the future.
>>
>>54040563
I like games where being from a certain region gives you bonuses to certain abilities or skills, regardless of your actual ethnicity.
>>
>>54040563
No, its irrelevant to the plot, setting, and life of the characters unless you plan to bring racism, bigotry, and slavery later on into the game.

Kill yourself OP, /tg/ will not stand in favor of this. Right guys?
>>
>>54041432
moshi moshi baito desu
>>
>>54040563

I generally ask when we're playing in the Forgotten Realms. I find it's a good way to judge how much setting knowledge a player has and what's motivating them to go human. When we're playing in settings that don't have clearly established racial groups I just steal the racial distribution from Earth and presume the character is the same race as the player unless I'm informed otherwise.

In short, if the setting leans on it I lean on it. If the system doesn't bring it up, I don't either.
>>
>>54041432

I like anthropology. So fuck off, homeboy.
>>
>>54041899
>>54041947
he's right though
>>
>>54041972
I don't know, /tg/ seems a little bit mixed on this.
>>
>>54040710
Dwarven clans are a great idea, and I would suggest that each dwarven stronghold is a mix of clans so it isn't so homogeneous. I would also make up some relationships between them the clans so that some are allies and enemies even if they are not actual at war. You could still include certain traits common to certain clans, such as blond hair being common to the Goldhammer Clan, for example.
>>
>>54041432
You probably enforce a single pantheon, if not outright monotheism, for the setting as well.
>>
>>54041947
It's clearly sarcasm dummy
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.