[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how does Jesus fit in the Cthulhu Mythos? Personally, I think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: One_Nation_Under_Cthulhu.jpg (8MB, 3200x2160px) Image search: [Google]
One_Nation_Under_Cthulhu.jpg
8MB, 3200x2160px
how does Jesus fit in the Cthulhu Mythos? Personally, I think he was an ancient investigator with the twelve apostles or an avatar of Nyarly
>>
>>54037851

I like the Prince of Darkness explanition where Jesus is a human-like figure of extraterrastrial origin, come to warn mankind of the dangers of (here you could put in whatever you want)
>>
>>54037851
He's just a preacher that got embellished by his followers after his death, and it's easier to buy those tall tales than the actual cosmic truth.
>>
>>54037851
I only read Lovecraft's stuff, but a good way you could do it is like making Him a regular person possessed by a being similar to that in 'Beyond the Wall of Sleep', but instead of resisting it he just accepted it.

Be careful though, you run the risk of going too far into fedoracore territory. Turning a guy who consistently preached peace, brotherly love, and devotion to a forgiving and just god into a servant of a psychopathic elder being that demands worship is overdone as shit and was never creative or compelling.
>>
>>54039718
This is the only Lovecraftian answer. Everything comforting and familiar has to be dust in the wind with no attachment to any real power or meaning at all, otherwise you miss the one scary thing about cosmic horror: You don't fucking matter. Your savior isn't a window into the cosmic unknown misunderstood to be more mundane by his followers, he's a regular dude with a really good PR team who is ultimately just as insignificant as you are. Not because of some dumb culture war thing, but because that's scary. That is, in fact, pretty much the one scary thing about Lovecraft. All the things that you care about and care about you are dust in the eyes of apathetic kaiju demons who can't even be fucked to notice when your civilization is obliterated.

Granted, that's all kind of undermined when Cthulhu loses a fight to a civilian steam ship, let alone everything that later authors have piled on. The lack of cosmic significance apparently hasn't stopped humanity from being a military threat to things which are untold aeons more ancient than our entire planet.
>>
File: 1465242756841.png (372KB, 646x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1465242756841.png
372KB, 646x1000px
>>54040116
>You don't fucking matter.
So everyday life then?

>he's a regular dude with a really good PR team who is ultimately just as insignificant as you are
I am just as great as he is

It could also be seen as nothing has meaning to us but the meaning we give it and if our opinion on the worth of a thing is worthless to those timeless things then why should their lack of opinion of us be held in any more esteem. Live, love, laugh and be merry. We all return to dust to wash away in the tide so lets make fucking awesome sand castles whilst we can, to us they are great and that's all that needs to matter to us.
>>
>>54040198
>So everyday life then?
Nah, in everyday life nihilism is just another philosophy, no more or less important or meaningful than all the other ways to see the life and the world around us.

It's a whole different thing altogether to have it confirmed with no room for doubt.
>>
File: 500full[1].jpg (14KB, 480x250px) Image search: [Google]
500full[1].jpg
14KB, 480x250px
>>54040116
What you described isn't scary.
>>
File: 1451796673692.jpg (250KB, 631x891px) Image search: [Google]
1451796673692.jpg
250KB, 631x891px
>>54040243
>It's a whole different thing altogether to have it confirmed with no room for doubt.

You obviously place more inherent value on your self than I do. I am in no doubt.
>>
>>54040116
what the fuck,In wuch book cthulhu was beaten?
>>
>>54041667
the call of cthulhu
>>
File: I Don't Like Thing.jpg (86KB, 500x628px) Image search: [Google]
I Don't Like Thing.jpg
86KB, 500x628px
>>54040297
>>
>>54041920
Surprisingly, this is one of the rare situations that this image does in fact not apply to the situation. Well done, you managed to fuck up something this simple.
>>
>>54041667
In the first story he appeared in, that was named after him.
>>
>>54041667
Haha, wow
>>
>>54040116
Does that kind of horror even work for people who aren't egotistical? Seems like a lot of people nowadays just fully expect the worst-case scenarios on their society failing for one reason or another.
>>
>>54037851
I would take Jesus at face value: the herald or incarnation of a powerful God beyond all other gods that has just now recently turned compassionate.

Because:
1) By preaching acceptance and forgiveness of everything, humanity now has to deal with alien horrors that are also in God's grace.
1b) Just look at old school angels. That burning eyed pulsating meat wheel is vivisecting your brain to do God's work.

2) It highlights the insanity and viciousness of mankind who would brutally torture and kill a savior.
2b) Who has done absolutely nothing wrong besides run afoul of petty and contradictory rule disputes of a so-called civilization.
2c) Humanity gets off scott-fucking-free. At most you have one Wandering Jew or Longinus getting cursed.

3c) Churches can get fucking scary. Judeo-Christianity-Islam puts the cult in cultists. Keeping Jesus at face value certainly doesn't diminish that.

tl;dr Jesus fits in the Mythos, or perhaps more accurately vice versa, rather well.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.