[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Introduce me to some Historical Wargames /tg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: atsjccng1zozvvg7sxh2.jpg (165KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
atsjccng1zozvvg7sxh2.jpg
165KB, 1600x900px
Basically, I'm a millennial who's only played 40k, wanna move into playing some games with actual historical context behind them, I'm moving from the country to a city soon so hopefully, there will be a bit more variety in what people play.
Here's what I'm looking for.

> Historical, any time setting is fine, but WW1/2 are my favorite settings, especially WW1

> Something with horses, I like horses

> Quality models for me to paint

> Decent rules that are easy enough for a 40k pleb to get into

> Reasonably populated playerbase
>>
>WWI doesn't really have a lot going for it in mainstream historicals, most rulesets for WWI are older and even fewer focus on 25/28mm miniatures

>Horses feature predominantly in pre-industrial conflicts

>Depends on the manufacturer. Historicals isn't like 40k where you have to use Games Workshops miniatures. There are hundreds of small companies that make historical miniatures of varying quality. Perry and Warlord are some of the better, larger historical companies, in my opinion.

>Bolt Action is a WWII 28mm platoon-level game that was developed by guys that wrote the 40k rules

>Depends on the time period you want to focus on. Near-modern history? Nearly everyone will be playing WWII

You already sound like you have a good idea of what you're looking for. I'd suggest going with Bolt Action since it typically has a lot of crossover players from 40k that are looking to get into historicals. It's a good "in-between" to see if you want to actually go down this rabbit hole. Also, search the catalogue for /hwg/ it's a general focused on historicals.
>>
File: WGB-GW-108-Brit-WW1-Mk4.jpg (63KB, 600x567px) Image search: [Google]
WGB-GW-108-Brit-WW1-Mk4.jpg
63KB, 600x567px
>>54037199

Well there some differences between the mainstream games and historicals.

The main difference is that many people buy both forces unless your playing one of the extremely popular games.

If you want 10mm Napoleonic British using X game system, the chances of finding someone with 10mm Napoleonic French based for X system are slim to non-existent.

So for a start I would pick a game based on it's popularity more than the rules if you want a 'turn up and play' experience like 40K.

I would say for both WWI and WWII the most popular systems are Flames of War and Bolt Action. The former is played very similarly to 40K but in 15mm scale and has rules and models for both WWI, WWII and a 1985 scenario.

Bolt Action is the same 40K scale of 28mm and isn't that different but does use an alternative activation system. This game is mainly WWII but a good set of fan made rules can also be used to play WWI.

So BA and FoW would be my recommendation, both games (FoW V4) are about the same level of complexity as 7th edition was.
>>
File: Bolt Action WWI.pdf (771KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Bolt Action WWI.pdf
771KB, 1x1px
>>54037731

Some one in /hist/ gave me these, BA WWI rules. They look quite good.
>>
>>54037873
I just downloaded that from /hwg/ yesterday and completely forgot to recommend it
>>
>>54037199

The /hwg/ thread is the place to ask.

Seeing as you've been playing WH40K, there's a rules set called Bolt Action which uses WH40K rules for something which it pretends has some historical context. As such, BA is a nice intermediate step between the abject dipshittery of WH and actual wargaming.
>>
>>54037199
>>54037826

Here's some inspiration for play BA with the WWI rules.

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=387014
>>
>>54037826
Pretty much what this anon said, those are the most common games.

If you want to play with others eras, you need to know about what the hell your near LFGS/Club play, since the only problem with historicals are the lack of standardized games.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.