[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ability scores and genetics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: rawr, i'm a warrior.jpg (216KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
rawr, i'm a warrior.jpg
216KB, 707x1000px
Starting a new campaign and I'm about to roll up the child of two PCs from the previous run. And I started to think about their ability scores and competence and how it'd affect on the upbringing of a child. Here's what I came up with:

>Take the abilities of the parents and average them out: strength of 16 and 12 becomes 14, etc.
>Look at the new ability scores and the bonuses they'd apply
>For each bonus or penalty, take a new d6 when rolling
>Take the highest three d6s in case it's a bonus, the lowest three if it's a penalty
>These are your new guy's stats

This way, if the parents were both buffed-up melee warriors, then their child would probably be as well.

Thoughts?
>>
Go to bed, Lamarck. Darwin won.
>>
>>54033247
>what is epigenetics
Lamarck is coming back baby!
>>
File: Chicken Children.jpg (44KB, 600x411px) Image search: [Google]
Chicken Children.jpg
44KB, 600x411px
>>54033135
So do you start with 3d6 and then start adding dice?
>>
>>54033135
Id just give him one high stat that is whatever the highest average of his parents would be, then roll the rest.
>>
>>54033135
You're overthinking, sonny. Just make a character you think would be interesting as a child of the previous PCs, then stat them based on their concept.
>>
>>54033135
Here's something simpler.

1) Roll 4d6 six times, discounting the lowest die on each roll, generating six numbers between 3 and 18.
2) Assign the dice results however you like to each ability score.
2a) if you want to suggest that the character takes after a parent, just assign similar numbers in similar spots.

The problem with doing things your way is that ability scores increase over time. Two 10th level characters in 5e, for example, will have had two (or more in the case of fighters and rogues) Ability Score Increase features. This means that babby will end up with a higher set of ability scores than what either parent started with.

For example, let's assume a, say, drow rogue (+2 Dex, +1 Cha) and a standard human cleric (+1 to each) that were built using the Standard Array (15/14/13/12/10/8, point buy value of 27 using 5e's sustem) and are 10th level, so the rogue has had 3 ASIs (for +3 Dex, +2 Con, and +1 Cha total) and the cleric has had 2 (for +4 Wisdom total).

>Rogue: Str 10, Dex 20, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 15
>Cleric: Str 13, Dex 9, Con 15, Int 11, Wis 20, Cha 14

Averaging this (and rounding down fractions) gives babby ability scores of:

>Babby: Str 11, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 14

This is the equivalent of a character built using 35 points.
>>
>>54033135
I would use the Pokemon Method
>Randomly pick one ability from each parent.
>Those ability scores are passed down. All others are random.
>If the same ability is picked from both parents, randomly chose which of the two passes down their ability score.
>Option: with the correct ritual / item / preparation, up to FIVE ability scores can be passed down.
>These scores are randomly chosen first, then the respective parent who donated each is randomly chosen
>>
>>54033659
That's because of good breeding, though. If they had the same low stats (for example, if it was the rogue and a WIS-dumped fighter), the baby would be similarly disadvantaged.

Also, level 10 characters are pretty fucking powerful, so a kid born at the peak of their abilities would naturally be an ubermensch with a portion of their divine power.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.