[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Solo start?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: noodlesorsandwiches.jpg (43KB, 600x726px) Image search: [Google]
noodlesorsandwiches.jpg
43KB, 600x726px
So I've had a lot of success with a method of starting games that I've never heard anyone else using, but I'm curious to see if anyone's done it or something similar. Instead of doing the 'youre all in a tavern' thing, or start in the middle of the action, what I do is I start with each player individually in a solo session, just me and the player. They start out in various places, and I just try to make sure they end up in the same place. Its worked so far for us, I consider them like 'prologue chapters' for each character. I get to introduce various stuff to them differently, and get to know their character and how they act. Then when they end up together for the start of the first real session, they all already have some motivation to how they ended up there. Makes for fun interactions.

Anyone tried this? It also makes me want to try to do a long-term solo campaign. It seems like a lot of fun.
>>
>>54029177
oh and pic unrelated
>>
>>54029177
It seems interesting. I've been wanting to try something similar for Mutants and Masterminds.
>>
>>54029208
We mainly play Burning Wheel, which is a very character and story focused game, so maybe thats why I have so much success with it. But its a blast every time, and my players love the 'prologue' chapters. Honestly a lot of time they're more fun than the actual group sessions. Thus me wanting to try a solo campaign.
>>
>>54029177
Kinda. Mainly for if its a person who needs help learning a system/making a character or they want to discuss backstory mixing with setting etc.

Session 1 will be the "You're all in a tavern/caravan/prison" or whatever. And solo sessions with players to help them learn the system will either be me running out some important event in their backstory or the leadup to how they actually ended up in said tavern. Some people prefer to just make something and run with it, so they can ignore that and jump in on the tavern part.

Also depends on system. DnD most people already have some vague idea about and it's usually pretty easy to slap some characters in wherever. Stuff like Call of Cthulhu it makes a lot more sense for.
>>
>>54029339
my only problem being I probably wouldn't know how to even bring up the topic with one of my players. it seems like I'd be asking them out or something.
>>
>>54029177
I've done it for my game. It's great for defining the character, showing their personality, and determining exactly how they first became an adventurer.
>>
>>54032006
Also in Burning Wheel, characters earn artha (fate points and such) after each session, so its nice to start them out with some for their first group session.
>>
i'm doing that with some friends right now actually, results have been pretty good, for the most part
>>
>>54032329
Besides the whole
>online text-based rping
that seems pretty much exactly what I'm talking about
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.