[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the best rules-light RPGs, /tg/? What makes them the best?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: m.jpg (15KB, 318x159px) Image search: [Google]
m.jpg
15KB, 318x159px
What are the best rules-light RPGs, /tg/?
What makes them the best?
>>
Depends on how light you wanna go. I honestly enjoy one page shit like Lasers and Feelings or World of Dungeons, for example, but they are kinda gags.

RISUS, the anything RPG is pretty cool, for what it is as well, but it's got a bit more pages. Fate Accelerated got even more pages, but is still pretty light. I've heard people recommend minisix, but I personally don't like it that much.
>>
Maze rats!
>>
>>54017384
Risus is besus becausus it's short, still has plenty of dice-rolling (which is fun) and captures the essence of class-based gaming without too much GM handwaving. It's still structured without too many mechanics.
>>
The three best rules light RPGs I've seen are Dogs in the Vineyard, Don't Rest Your Head and Maid RPG.

Each goes beyond simply being rules light, taking a minimal set of mechanics and tuning them really well to support its premise and the kind of game it wants to create. Incredibly dull and generic rules light games are a dime a dozen, but it's the rare examples of ones where the rules light design is actually made proper use of that impress me.

PbtA deserves an honourable mention for a solid framework, although various iterations of it make use of it significantly worse than others.
>>
>>54017384
OSR with minor reworks
>>
File: Maze_Rats_V4.3.pdf (7MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Maze_Rats_V4.3.pdf
7MB, 1x1px
>>54017833

Maze Rats represent!
>>
File: barbarians of lemuria spiel.png (96KB, 869x425px) Image search: [Google]
barbarians of lemuria spiel.png
96KB, 869x425px
>>54017384
Barbarians of Lemuria is pretty cool. It's Conan-style swords & sorcery. Rather than dealing with a clutter of different skills related to, say, thieving, it just says: "It's a thief-related task and you're a rank 2 thief, so you get a +2 to your roll."

>Barbarians of Lemuria,Mythic Edition (current edition) -- https://www.mediafire.com/folder/7llc83r2xf8bg/Barbarians_of_Lemuria_-_Mythic_Edition

>Barbarians of Lemuria, Legendary Edition (earlier edition, shorter but not as refined) --http://www.mediafire.com/download/p5w885sa9a869ma/Barbarians+Of+Lemuria+-+Legendary+Edition.pdf

>Barbarians of Lemuria, House Rules / Patches for Legendary Edition (if you want minimalism of Legendary, but with the rules tightened up) -- https://mega.co.nz/#F!CtQR2bST!y_awB-GHCiL3CdK4iLCV7A
>>
>>54018425
Thanks for the spiel and the links! You rock!
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.