[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Game help: High-magic PCs in a sword and sorcery setting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 016 - ckhA3pZ.jpg (107KB, 570x800px) Image search: [Google]
016 - ckhA3pZ.jpg
107KB, 570x800px
So I have a generic fantasy setting built around D&D 5e, but I set a campaign in its past which is more swords and sorcery and am doing another one now, this time preferably using a different system. It was short and low-level though so there wasn't much of a problem with just using 5e and limiting the classes to martials and edge case clerics, paladins and monks if anyone didn't want to be barb/fighter/rogue. But I'm planning a sequel to it, higher power and the players as sorcerers of sword and sorcery (evil-ish campaign), and 5e has some problems for that. The previous campaign had the bad guy as a powerful wizard that they failed to defeat and he enslaved a few towns, so their new characters would be his disciples, proteges etc., mostly spellcasters conquering other cities so mass combat rules would be a bonus.

The problem with high level 5e is two-fold, one is that the group is tired of 5th edition after a 3 year campaign and others on the side so we would like to play other systems, and also I don't trust 5th edition to do high level (it'd be level 12+, preferably up to 20) without stuff breaking and it being impossible to balance. There's a fairly casual player in the group so I don't want too much crunch, I think 4e would work at low level since we're familiar with 5e but starting higher level I fear the it would be a bit too time consuming to create characters and a lot of rules and numbers and feats etc. to keep track of. Are there any other games that would be able to do this?

TL;DR: Looking for a game that works well for a semi-casual group, in a sword and sorcery setting where the players are powerful magicians.
>>
File: 011 - LsoG6U2.jpg (448KB, 800x1196px) Image search: [Google]
011 - LsoG6U2.jpg
448KB, 800x1196px
Some games I've considered outside D&D.
Ars Magica, I don't know much about it except that the players are powerful wizards.
Meikyuu Kingdom is interesting to shift the focus to building up the home city and the dungeon represents the other cities and the wilderness.
My life with master would be fun but the idea is they kill the "master" first session.
Runequest 6e is bronze age which helps, though I don't know much about it.
>>
Last bump.
>>
Savage worlds could do it. It is a fairly traditional system but every but every part of the game has been done in the simplest and the easiest way to do it. It can look deceptively simple on paper, but in play it tends to feel meaty and complete, while running smoothly.

To do what you describe, you'd need the fantasy companion, but then you're all set. The mass combat system, how ever is literally the card game war with a few minor modifications.
http://www.bicyclecards.com/how-to-play/war/

https://www.peginc.com/product-category/savage-worlds/
>>
>>54014593
Also, last time I poste fantasy art with tits, I got a three day ban. Just saying.
>>
>>54014652
Thanks, I've been looking for an excuse to learn that. For high power and high magic, would veteran/heroic be better or can I just do novice and still have them feel quite powerful?

>>54014674
Oh yeah, blue board, didn't think about that.
>>
>>54014994
Thing about Savage Worlds is, you start off quite strong as a novice, but it has its own version of bounded accuracy, so while you get noticeably stronger, there's never really anything you can't do as a novice that youcando later. So most character growth after reaching seasoned rank is really about expanding your options, not getting better at the same you had ones you already had. But sure. Starting them off with 25+xp will do well.
>>
>>54015396
Nice, I'm running Iron Kingdoms at the moment and it is very similar, XP thresholds to get more options and slight power increases but most of your options are there from level 1. It also looks like there are enough options so even if I encourage mostly magic-focused classes the party could be diverse.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.