[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

3d20m vs 3d6 vs ???

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 3d20m master race.png (101KB, 1333x850px) Image search: [Google]
3d20m master race.png
101KB, 1333x850px
I'm making a system, where the main resolution mechanic is basically "roll under [Stat + Skill + modifiers]", where Stat and Skill ranks range from 0 to 10.

The problem is, I want the Stat/Skill average to be roughly 5, and therefore, the average Target Number to be roughly 10.
At the same time, I want the average chance of success to be roughly 75%.

3d20m is perfect in its curve form, but the chance of success increases way too slowly for it to reach 75% chance in the range of (10+-1).
It's only 45-55% in that range.

Conversely, 3d6 is almost in the right range, but it's way too sharp, it doesn't utilize the full 20 range and I don't like the way it curves.

Honestly, a perfect curve for me would be something along the lines of "-ax^2+b", where a and b are adjusted accordingly, and 3d20 fits that pretty well, while 3d6 is more Gaussian in its distribution, which I don't like.

Are there any options that are relatively simple to implement with platonic dice I'm overlooking in regards of this?
>>
>>54011598
3d10
>>
>>54011639
3d10 with 2 dice chosen, depending on the difficulty.

Easy? Take higher 2
Difficult? Take lowest 2

Incorporates another difficulty layer in the dice, and is easy to work around.
>>
>>54011598
Just do 2d10. You have a 72% chance to get 10 or over with 2d10+1. Close enough.
>>
>>54011598
If this is your main resolution mechanic, don't make it obnoxious to resolve. Keep it simple.
>>
>>54011598

Add in critical successes and failures and 3d6 works wonderfully. Just use GURPS, man. I'm a statistician and struggled for years to cook something like this up, only to realize that GURPS had already done it.

By all means throw out the rest if you want, though most of that is pretty good too. The die resolution mechanic is very very strong.
>>
>>>/gdg/
>>
File: curve.png (131KB, 1316x613px) Image search: [Google]
curve.png
131KB, 1316x613px
>>54011598
Would an exponential probability curve be adequate for your purposes?
You can adjust it so 5 is a 50% chance, 10 is a 75% chance, 15 is a 90% chance and 20 is a 95% chance.
>>
File: curve.png (141KB, 1347x598px) Image search: [Google]
curve.png
141KB, 1347x598px
>>54011598
>>54014182
Or, more properly.
>>
>>54011598
3d20 is the most retarded system ever, so just about ANYTHING will be better than this piece of shit.
>>
You're making an RPG, not a fucking car or dress or something. Stop giving a fuck about how the curve looks, and think about what's reasonable mechanically to roll and what gives reasonable probabilities.
>>
>>54014548
This. Knowing your math is important, to a point. You need to know it enough to make reasonable predictions and know that your mechanics aren't completely fucked, but beyond that it's way more important that it's reasonable to do at the table and, most importantly, FUN to roll. There's going to be a shitton of rolling, so you better make sure that it's inherently fun.
>>
>>54014548
>Stop giving a fuck about how the curve looks
>think about [...] what gives reasonable probabilities

>implying these are not the same thing
>>
>>54014941
they really aren't
>>
>>54011598

Stop, step back, and ask what you want your system to convey.

Dice mechanics are important for more than just raw probability. How they work and the results they output can be key to defining the tone of your system, and you need to be sure those fundamental mechanics support the premise you're aiming for.

Bell curves like you're discussing work well for systems where stability and reliability is paramount, while extreme results are rare. This works well for more grounded stories, but reduces the likelihood of climactic and risky moments. RPG's are a blend of crunch and flavour, and ensuring that one supports the other is key to making a good game.
>>
>>54011598
3d29m is best, specially with the advantage and disadvantage system.

But I'm not sure how to use the ad/disad mechanic well.
>>
>>54016326
It replaces minor bonii. Good because it streamline, "bad" because it reduces strategy to just get it as often as possible.
>>
>>54016509
>bonii
Just say "bonuses" like every normal human being.
>>
File: 1463408684176.png (38KB, 499x338px) Image search: [Google]
1463408684176.png
38KB, 499x338px
>>54014548
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.