[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fixing the Devoid Problem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

File: Colorless-symbol.png (17KB, 316x332px) Image search: [Google]
Colorless-symbol.png
17KB, 316x332px
How safe would it be to assume that most people agree that the keyword "Devoid" is a mistake? It's basically "Red (this card is red)".

There are over 90 cards with devoid as a keyword- Would it be more efficient to treat it as a "color" and have cards that interact with it (e.g. "destroy target devoid permanent") be the host for some type of reminder text (e.g. A Devoid card has a colorless frame, even if it costs colored mana) instead of slapping a "keyword" on every colorless non-artifact card?

It's also a large step for Wizards to retroactively remodel everything that produced colorless mana as a (1) to generate the (<>) instead only to stay relevant for a single block regarding eldrazi-

What types of evergreen creatures could potentially utilize the devoid field? A variant of Aetherborn from the blind eternities? Non-walker travellers?

The ingest/process theme was an attempt to add a unique element to devoid creatures to make them different from other colors, but most of the other keywords in BFZ were blatantly and lazily borrowed from other colors such as trample, flying, and haste-

If Devoid were revisited, what type of basic combat abilities would "belong" to devoid? Laccolith effects? Farrells Zealot effects? Gustcloak Sentinel effects? I know these effects exist on colored cards, but I chose them for three reasons-

>They were only used for a very limited span of magic's history.
>They are simple combat effects that don't involve -1/+1, counters, card draw, other fields, or lifegain.
>They potentially represent an ephemeral state, intangibility, or simply being hard to predict due to "otherworldly-ness".

I know this has been discussed to death during BFZ, but it has been several blocks and it hasn't been re-utilized since- lets see if anyone has developed any evolving opinions on it.
>>
Anus mana symbol and the devoid keyword are different things. <> spells don't need devoid since they're already colorless,

I don't think devoid is such a big mistake. Sure it's clumsy, but i can't really think of a better way to unambiguosly show "colorlessness" (you can't really print "this spell is colorless" on half the cards of a set, the colored card frame isn't clear enough and the color indicator doesn't really work in this case). Making devoid the sixth color is just a plain silly idea.

Anus mana on the other hand was handled pretty bad IMO. It generated plenty of confusion among plenty of people that still think you need wastes or specific eldrazi lands to cast <> spells.
>>
>>54003510
BTW i get that
>you can't really print "this spell is colorless" on half the cards of a set
this point is kinda moot since that's what happened in the end due to wotc boner for reminder text, but at least the idea itself isn't that bad
>>
>>54003510
How are you retards seeing an abuse in a fucking square. What is wrong with your buttholes?
>>
File: Exactly one fuck.jpg (17KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Exactly one fuck.jpg
17KB, 320x240px
>>54003593
Making Devoid a keyword probably wasn't the greatest decision in the world but it's not like it was a catastrophe or anything. If colorless-matters ever becomes a thing again they might just stop using devoid and state that cards are colorless, or they'll pick it up again and I will give exactly one fuck.

Colorless doesn't need it's own design space. That's retarded. It's not a color. Design space is for colors.
>>
>>54003239
>It's also a large step for Wizards to retroactively remodel everything that produced colorless mana as a (1) to generate the (<>) instead only to stay relevant for a single block regarding eldrazi
I mean, the thing is, colorless mana and generic mana were always different things. If anything, that's made the existing rules clearer on cards.
>>
>>54003239
Seeing cards tap to generate the colorless symbol is so much more aesthetically pleasing than tapping to generate a number, though. We didn't get colored circles with numbers in them, so colorless having its anus makes everything consistent.
>>
File: Image.ashx.png (122KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx.png
122KB, 223x311px
>>54004150
>I mean, the thing is, colorless mana and generic mana were always different things. If anything, that's made the existing rules clearer on cards.
>>54004171
Seeing cards tap to generate the colorless symbol is so much more aesthetically pleasing than tapping to generate a number, though. We didn't get colored circles with numbers in them, so colorless having its anus makes everything consistent.

These are excellent points and I will agree that the inclusion of the symbol streamlines the aesthetics. What I meant by relevant was that it only truly mattered if it was Generic vs Colorless in BFZ block, and not even artifact-heavy Kaladesh required it on a single card.

>>54003899
>Colorless doesn't need it's own design space. That's retarded. It's not a color. Design space is for colors.

This is a valid viewpoint concerning the fragility of the color pie, and despite Wizard's frequent disregard to it, you can observe that they took great care that is parallel with your opinion-

Correct me if I am wrong, but I see that there are 29 "colorless matters" cards in the BFZ block:

Conduit of Ruin
Corrupted Crossroads
Cultivator Drone
Dominator Drone
Dust Stalker
Eldrazi Aggressor
Eldrazi Mimic
Flayer Drone
Forerunner of Slaughter
Gruesome Slaughter
Hedron Blade
Herald of Kozilek
Kozilek's Sentinel
Lithomancer's Focus
Molten Nursery
Nettle Drone
Pathway Arrows
Reaver Drone
Ruination Guide
Ruins of Oran-Rief
Sanctum of Ugin
Shrine of the Forsaken Gods
Skitterskin
Sky Scourer
Swarm Surge
Thought Harvestor
Tide Drifter
Titan's Presense
Vile Aggregate

Most of the designs utilized involve "owning other colorless creatures" or "other colorless creatures entering the battlefield"- basically colorless cards that reward you for playing colorless cards, and outside of Hedron Blade, Pathway Arrows and Lithomancer's focus, there is extremely little interaction pertaining to colorless cards on colored spells.

The design space is in a very tight bubble-
>>
Paying colored mana for colorless spells was the dumbest fucking idea ever.
>>
File: Image.ashx.png (124KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx.png
124KB, 223x311px
>>54004738
While it is heavily advised that colorless should not, in any case, be the "sixth color", there is a non-0% chance that Wizards will revisit this concept and treat it as such. The discussion encouraged is what they could possibly do to keep it from staying inside the aforementioned design bubble and avoid just being colorless for the sake of being colorless while borrowing from existing colors, making the interaction akin to that of artifacts-but-not.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.