[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /tg/ im going to be dming for the first time, any tips?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
hey /tg/ im going to be dming for the first time, any tips?
>>
File: RPG beginner tips.png (2MB, 941x2480px) Image search: [Google]
RPG beginner tips.png
2MB, 941x2480px
>>53992084
Sure.
>>
>>53992302
Haven't seen that old gem in a good while.

>>53992084
>hey /tg/ im going to be dming for the first time, any tips?
That question is really too broad to be able to properly address it. What kind of play experience do you have? I assume from your pic that you're gonna be running 1st edition AD&D. Which rules will you be ignoring?
>>
Have a few names for NPCs ready just in case someone asks who they're talking to.

Play your "script" modularly. If you plan for the players to learn that there's a party being held by the local lord, it doesn't matter who tells them; they don't have to hear it from the "right" person.

Generally, say yes to players, except if they ask to break the rules or if they are simply asking for power. It's like in improv acting; the rule of thumb is not to say "no" to what happens.
>>
>>53992389
i have only played a little as a player, and i wont be going extremely heavy on the rules
>>
>>53992302
I think the question was "How to DM?" not "How assblasted are you about DnD not doing everything as a system?" or "How torn is your butthole over people not giving a shit about old DnD editions or your niche games played by 5 forty year-olds jaded from decades of playing pretend?"
>>
>>53992302
>>53992511
Oh shit it gets better as you read.
>freeform is more appropriate for somebody who has never played instead of good structure
>uses Dune as an example of difficult literature
>>
Tell your players not to roll dice unless you tell them to. In general, do not let them volunteer to roll skill checks. When reasonable, have them describe what they're doing in terms of their characters' actions rather than in terms of the rules of the game. ("When reasonable" means you don't have to make the players pretend they don't know what spells they have or how many attacks you get, but outside of combat you should have players at least summarize what they're doing before resorting to naming what skill they want to use. When talking to NPCs, you don't have to force them to always speak in character, but at least have them summarize what their characters are saying."
>>
>>53992536
>uses Dune as an example of difficult literature
For a kid who's just learning how to read? It's a bit trickier than Hop on Pop.

>"How assblasted are you about DnD not doing everything as a system?" or "How torn is your butthole over people not giving a shit about old DnD editions...?"
Those seem somewhat at odds. Also, this was bandied about in the days before 5e, when modern D&D didn't offer a good place to start for noobs. Just saying.
>>
Have a session zero where you talk to your players about expectations, etiquette (how much table talk is cool?), tone (how silly it's okay to be, etc.) and so forth, to make sure everybody's on the same page.

Stress that it's everybody's job (and not just the GM's) to make for a successful game. That means working well with the group, both in and out of characters, and considering the effect your actions will have on the game (and coming up with a reason for your character to avoid disruptive shit).

Ask your players to cut you some slack (and remember to cut yourself some slack) as game mastering is like any skill: you get better with practice.
>>
>>53992084
The game is not you vs the players. You should be making a story. You provide the setting, random people, and antagonist(s), and the players provide the protagonists.

Also ask for backstories, it makes your job way easier.
>>
>>53992511
IIRC, the thing was mostly posted when folks would come here saying they wanted to get into role-playing and asking which edition of D&D they should get to do this.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.