[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it evil to sacrifice 99% of humanity to become a god?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 17

File: Destroyed-Planet-4.jpg (64KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
Destroyed-Planet-4.jpg
64KB, 900x506px
Is it evil to sacrifice 99% of humanity to become a god?
>>
>>53987414
Yes

Even most of the evil and neutral gods would agree, given you're wiping out their followers
>>
>>53987414
Sounds like a BBEG endgoal.
>>
>>53987414
Yes, Griffith.
>>
>>53987414
>Is it evil to sacrifice 99% of humanity to become a god?

It's evil to even sacrifice 1 HUMAN to become a god.
>>
>>53987414
Would you be able to use your god powers to bring everyone back to life afterward?

In that case, it would only be an evil act if you had to kill the preexisting god first.
>>
>>53987414
>Killing people to benefit yourself
It's evil
>Humanity would be completely extinct if you didn't do this
It's good
>Humanity would continue on as it was but you chose to become a god to benefit humanity
Morally grey.
>>
>>53987442
Yeeeeah, but sacrificing 99% of humanity is 8 billion times more evil! Come on.
>>
>>53987414

No. Because then you can bring them back.
>>
No, of course not.

When you become a god, you decide the law - better yet, you're above the law. Who gives a shit?
>>
>>53987414
depends on what you're a god of i think.

if you're a god of tasty cupcakes it might be a little weird
>>
>>53987489
Ow, the edge
>>
>>53987414
Of course it's evil. It's murder of a ridiculous scale.
The question is, is the 99% of humanity willing to be sacrificed?
>>
>>53987414
There is no such things as "evil" or "god".
>>
>>53987578
What if you can bring them back after you become a god?
>>
Maybe 'sacrifice' doesn't mean 'kill' in this context. It's like sacrifice a single nose hair from every person or something.
>>
>>53987599
*tips fedora*
>>
File: Angery.png (242KB, 413x648px) Image search: [Google]
Angery.png
242KB, 413x648px
>>53987489
>>
>>53987601
Irrelevant. The sacrifices involved still need to be willing.
Because when the god in question resurrects the sacrificed, the sacrificed will hate the god for forcefully sacrificing them.
>>
File: Griffith_Post-Eclipse_Manga.jpg (893KB, 1077x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Griffith_Post-Eclipse_Manga.jpg
893KB, 1077x1600px
>>53987414
Is it evil to sacrifice 99% of my followers to become a god?
>>
>>53987414
Yes. Ignoring the will of other sentient beings to their detriment and your benefit is what most humans (outside of an argument) would call evil.

>>53987601
If Gods could do this willy nilly they would probably do it more often. And this begs the question on weather or not a god has limits.

There is a reason this is the end plan of tons of anime villains. It is fundamentally evil to many worldviews and most sane people (more so in the east due to cultural obsession with self sacrifice). It basically amounts to mass subjugation for personal gain.
>>
>>53987781
Came here to post this. Griffith did nothing wrong.
>>
>>53987516
How is that edgy?
>>
>>53987814
used to be you sorry bastards wouldn't even show up to bait. I blame the new anime
>>
if you sacrifice them then immediately bring them back using your god powers with no permanent harm is it still evil

i mean that seems like a pareto optimization rly
>>
>>53987703

Yes, but they would be alive.
>>
>>53987414

From my point of view, the Jedi are evil.
>>
>>53987814
Only if you don't count betraying his comrades, raping Casca, and tearing a hole in reality which apparently has caused a lot of bad shit in the past all for personal gain. He might have been unable to avoid his fate, which would actually be a decent argument in favor of him not doing anything wrong (though I feel there's still plenty of holes there)
>>
File: little walking man.gif (5MB, 418x594px) Image search: [Google]
little walking man.gif
5MB, 418x594px
>>53987860
>I blame the new anime
>Implying anybody watches the new anime
>>
>>53988264

Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>53988179
They were already alive. Committing evil and restoring it only poorly justifies the evil deed, it does not do something "good" for it was already the situation's natural state before the evil deed was done.
>>
>>53988264
There's no shortage of bad scenes in the new Berserk anime, but that one in particular really stood out. The way he's moving made it look like Sealab or Aquateen Hunger Force or some shit
>>
>>53988361

Okay.
>>
>>53988238
>Has a pretty good life, respected amongst the noblility, adoration of the king, the nobles who DON'T respect him, he has murdered
>His bara boipussy decides he's had enough of his shit and bails
>He fucks the princess as rebound because he can't come to terms with hot gay for Guts he is

Could've easily escaped his fate, one of the big themes of Berserk is that while people who rely on fate talk a big game, people with enough willpower and determination can tell it to go fuck itself
>>
>>53988424
I'm glad we came to an understanding.
>>
>>53988004
>>53988179
Couple problems or ideas. Depends on if evil is based on inflicting suffering or not. If it is, then its probably evil, even if they come back. If you can make them sacrifice without suffering and have them come back, is it a sacrifice? What are they losing or giving up at that point? In a perfect hypothetical, is you taking away their will or agency for a limited time enough to be evil?

Time for someone to define Evil.
>>
>>53988488

Crazy 88s.
>>
>>53988463

It's nice to have friends.
>>
>>53988361
Is it evil to temporarily inconvenience 99% of humanity to become a god?
>>
>>53988488
Subjective to the situation, as the criminal is always different, no matter the crime.
>>
>>53988626
>53987489
>getting my soul sucked out and placed in the netherrealm where time may or may not function differently is a minor inconvenience
>>
>>53988639
You got it back, didn't you?
>>
>>53988626
It's too mean-spirited to be good, and it's too inconsequential to be evil. Chaotic Neutral?
>>
>>53988626
>Destroys all coasters to become a god
Well?
>>
>>53988445
Griffits problem was pride, he never did things for the sake of others and always for the adoration of himself, friends, status and the princess.

Shit the only reason he didn't fuck the princess to begin with was that his pride forbid him, but then guts, dealing with his own problems and turbo autism, shattered the fuck out of that.
>>
>>53988626
Eh, more morally gray. I mean, you are still killing all those people but you bring them back, you may not actually be the best candidate for godhood either.

Generally its okay to kill you, just keep it painless.
>>
>>53987414
Eh, there's still like 70 000 000 people left, it's a net win for everyone who survives really, not to mention the environmental benefits.
>>
>>53988636
Cool, so if its all subjectivity, how do you determine criminality?

>>53988747
So inflicting pain is Evil. Why that? Why is a lack of pain but still death okay?

>>53988807
Evil is the end result here. Why? Who/how is the end result determined?
>>
>>53989299
*Morality is the end result here. Why?
>>
>>53987424
What if you use your power to turn back time so that nobody dies?
>>
>>53989299
You determine criminality on the severity of the crime. The more severe, the more criminal.
Stealing bread = Bad. Stealing bread from starving people = Evil.
>>
>>53989341
Okay, so is OP's godling committing evil? Who determines the severity of criminality for gods? Does evil require punishment? If you inflict evil while punishing what happens then?
>>
>>53988672
I never used them anyway.
>>
>>53989394
Sort of? The OP hasn't said if the sacrifices wee willing or not. A god of justice. Punishment would imply the crime is repaid, so the criminal needs to have his stolen bread re-stolen, or pay for the bread, or give back a new loaf of bread. Infliction of evil while punishing evil in turn leads to being punished fairly.
>>
>>53989482
*were
>>
>>53989482
Cool, so equity focused 1:1. Who does the math if its all subjective? An urGod?
>>
>>53989500
An empathetic neutral god of fairness.
>>
>>53989540
>An ancient neutral clocks into his 9 to 5 shift
>>
>>53989540
Works for me, would cosmology with. Structuralist but that's okay. Brings up other weird questions about determinism though. Like how does will, error and the like factor into these cosmic calculations of Good and Evil? Is it a individuated independent equation for each moment or some sort of series? Is it Good that the neutral god fulfils its role? If it doesn't do we lose our ability to determine Good and Evil? Or is it just a sorting system for souls? Is punishment a thing done in life or after life?
>>
>>53989299
Death is a finality, there is no bad done after that. Pain is unnecessary and wrong, everyone suffers so we should avoid causing more than needed.
>>
>>53989673
Why is pain unnecessary and wrong?
>>
>>53989672
Determinism is entirely unpredictable as anyone can commit good acts and bad acts, so each and every single moment for every and any individual capable of such acts cannot be judged by anyone with prejudices because it might corrupt justice.
A good god must not look down on anyone, neither must an evil god drag someone down, so a neutral god understands what it's like to be still and can judge fairly.
An unfair punishment in life must be rectified in the afterlife, or else the criminal is unfairly justified.
I suppose reincarnation wouldn't be out of the question if the criminal failed to rectify their crime before they died, the criminal would have to commit the crime near the time of their death though.
>>
>>53987442

What if I sacrifice myself?
>>
>>53989860
>statute of limitations on reincarnation
neat

So the god of Justice sorts the souls based on how commensurate their actions were in life, and then reincarnates them or passes them to the afterlife, etc. How does that mesh up with/how aware of the equations are mortals?
>>
>>53989336
Depends if your DM would allow that sort of time contradiction.

I guess if your character went into it with the intent of saving everyone that was sacrificed and then being a fair god, the action would be kinda chaotic good, if you attain godhood wasn't just a grab for power. Other wise it's neutral evil to go back and save everyone.
>>
>>53989930
Sacrifices have to be of a thing you can't get back otherwise its just an inconvenience.
>>
>>53989932
Mortals remain ignorant of genuine gods of morality because it would pervert justice.
To test a person, you test them. Not their moral code.
>>
>>53987424
What if you sacrificed a race that aligns with evil instead of humans?
>>
Isn't this the plot to Evangelion?
>>
>>53990018

How'd it work for Jesus then?
>>
>>53987414
it's not evil if you get your worshippers to sing gregorian style chants of crawling in my skin
>>
>>53987489
>become a god, you decide the law
No, the god of law does and you don't become a god of laws by sacrificing people. You need to enact legislation to build a bureaucratic sarcophogus to bury yourself in while still filing in triplicate for 30 days and nights at least.
>>
Depends on who you can save Anon.

Depends on who you can save. if you save the blond haired, blue eyed to make a new glorious race of the norse/germanics..

Than it's alright.

If your saving kikedom and a few (like fifty) thousand slaves (africans or arabs); get fucked.
>>
>>53987414
What is evil? Not as an ajective, but as a noun?
>>
>>53990067
Oh mans. Father, Son aaaand the Holy Spirit is a thing that I'm not very good at, but I'm under the impression the way they swing that is that Jesus dies, sacrificed by his dad (who he also is), but God doesn't die, just his son who he gives up/gives himself up. What happens in revelations is sketchy though, because I'm not sure if that's suppose to he him literally coming back or coming back different.
>>
>>53989820
Well thats easy to answer. Go stick your hand in boiling water or something else EXTREMELY painful, then think if that happened to someone else. You wouldn't want neither you or them to feel that would you?
>>
>>53988004
Ascendance can be averted, and then you'll just have a lot of dead people with no power to revive them.

Or maybe you're not as powerful as you think. Say, you can only revive the last 20 minutes worth of sacrifices.
>>
>>53990033
Secret tests with unclear objectives and obscure results. Okay, so divine ineffable law. I like it. Would be a fun God to have in a game. Also brings up interesting conflict of various other gods trying to rig the game, influence and bribe, etc.
>>
File: where do you think we are.png (200KB, 351x309px) Image search: [Google]
where do you think we are.png
200KB, 351x309px
>>53990234
>You wouldn't want them to feel that would you?

But honestly, I don't care.
>>
>>53990234
So your basing evil off aversion and attraction?
>>
>>53990114
>>>/pol/
>>
>>53990295
Which is why masochistic cults are only evil when they start dragging other people into their weird ritual
>>
>>53990345
What is it if a group is attracted to killing another who is adverse to being killed? It seems like at that point consent is where it switches from good to evil?
>>
>>53987414
>sacrifice 99% of humanity
>become god
>magic humanity back
>but now with no war, disease, poverty etc
>>
>>53990488
but dude INNOCENTS lmao
>>
File: reece.jpg (27KB, 504x415px) Image search: [Google]
reece.jpg
27KB, 504x415px
Evil is what humans call evil. Ergo, you're not evil if there is no one left to call you evil.
>>
>>53990488
>>53990514
Just because something is evil doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. Pretending you've done no wrong is lame though.
>>
>>53988238
Betray your friends to become a god or live the rest of your life as a cripple and never achieve your dreams.

Choosing the first makes you evil. Choosing the second makes you a foolish cuck who should've never been born because you lack the drive to ever make anything of yourself, a born loser who thinks their worthlessness is a virtue, a slave with delusions of freedom.
>>
File: Guts_goes_berserk_anime_001.jpg (122KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Guts_goes_berserk_anime_001.jpg
122KB, 1600x1200px
>>53987781
GRIFFITH!!!!!!!!!!
>>
File: YourSpiritualLiege.jpg (31KB, 450x441px) Image search: [Google]
YourSpiritualLiege.jpg
31KB, 450x441px
>>53987414

I don't know, Lorgar, is it?
>>
>>53990488
Straight up, I consider creating a "fair" universe with no suffering or conflict to be the greatest evil it is possible to commit.
>>
>>53989336
That sounds like a calculated risk but is your character any good at math?
>>
File: smug lorgar.jpg (201KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
smug lorgar.jpg
201KB, 550x550px
>>53990904
Hey, Mr. "Lord of Ultramar," I have a question...and I've been waiting a long time to ask it.

How's Calth?
>>
>>53990038
>implying humans aren't aligned with evil
>>
>>53987414
Depends, what does "god" mean? Because if you become omnipotent then oh look 99% of humanity isn't dead anymore.
>>
>>53987442
Is it evil to murder an unborn child to save yourself a hassle?
>>
>>53993299
Well it was that or let it live a life of poverty and misery until it dies of starvation, so that kid aint surviving this world anyway unless it goes full tarzan and claws its way out in the world.
>>
>>53993336
So you're doing it a favor by murdering it, I see. How noble of you.
>>
>>53987414
Yes. Also, retarded. Whois going to worship you if 99% of the planet's dead? The 1% you left over? Using Earth as an example, we've got roughly 7 Billion people, 1% of which is 70,000, which is sizeabke but also fucking pathetic compared to the following numbers of other gods, and that's assuming you got all 100% of that remaining 1% to follow and worship you. In fantasy settings where the populations on average are probably no where near 7 billion (depends on the setting I guess), that 1% is going to be even more laughably small.

tl;dr: it's evil but also ticking stupid, but hey, who said anything about being smart?
>>
>>53994507
>did you type that all using a phone anon?

Sure tucking did
>>
>>53993374
Hey man, none of us get out of this alive. Some just leave it sooner than others.
>>
>>53987414
Only if any of the 99% that gets wiped out are white.
>>
>>53990067
His death isn't what saved men from sin anon, it was the Atonement he performed and Gethsemane, where he took all the world's sins and sorrow into himself, that allowed him to save mankind.

By doing so, and immediately being crucified, he was able to experience the full breadth of human suffering and sin while still being a pure and perfect being, thus allowing him to become the ultimate sympathetic entity and thus capable of interceding and offering relief from sin and punishment for all men who would so choose to accept and follow him.

He wasn't a sacrifice per say, but rather his physical death was merely the next step of the plan, since due to being of perfect spirit in harmony with the Father, even should his corporeal form perish he already was blessed with Eternal Life/Spiritual Immortal.
>>
>>53994507
Newsflash: humans breed. That laughably small 1% can grow in numbers to repopulate the entire planet.
>>
>>53987414
Is it evil to commit genocide to obtain power if once you've obtained that power you can undo everything you did?

What if you need said power in order to fight off an even greater threat that is virtually guaranteed to destroy the world and WON'T bring them all back.

I've always wanted to run a campaign under this premise. PC's would be fighting against a very powerful magic user that is roaming the continent and draining entire kingdoms of all magic and life energy, leaving nothing but vast deserts of ash in their wake. Whenever he meets the PC's he talks to them like he's known them a long time, when in reality they know next to nothing about him.

The big reveal would come once they'd finally gotten strong enough to break into his base of operations. He'd reveal that he's destroyed the world a dozen times so far, and that the PC's are always there trying to stop him. He then explains how he drains the world of life and then utilizes an artifact to turn back time to do it again, undoing all the damage he'd caused but keeping the power- getting something from nothing, essentially.

He's gathering power to face a malevolent multidimensional star-god that is headed towards the PC world, and once it arrives the artifact won't undo it's damage because the monster exists outside of space and time.

The PC's can then choose to join him on his genocidal adventure to destroy the world for its own good, or kill him while he's vulnerable charging the artifact and then do what they wish in preparation for the elder god-thing''s arrival.
>>
File: thumbnail_10297.jpg (109KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
thumbnail_10297.jpg
109KB, 400x300px
>>53988398

Guts! Hey Guts! Your tiny legs are both hilarious and embarrassing. Get on before I laugh myself sad.
>>
>>53989336
You can only turn back time for 20 minutes though
>>
>>53992449
thats why the fair universe immediately assigns its creator to hell
>>
>>53994858
anon, that sounds...deep.
Seriously, that fucked with me for a while.
>>
File: 1491507196091.jpg (273KB, 781x661px) Image search: [Google]
1491507196091.jpg
273KB, 781x661px
>>53989336
>>
>>53987414
Yes.
>>
>>53987414
Depends if you plan on recreating humanity after you become a god, effectively erasing your crimes.
>>
>>53994507
>we've got roughly 7 Billion people, 1% of which is 70,000

>7 billion = 7 000 000 000
>700 000 000 = 10%
>70 000 000 = 1%
I think your math is a bit off.
>>
What if you sacrificed them and brought them right back with your god powers?
>>
>>53987414
Did you ask them first if it was okay to sacrifice them?

Or did you at the very least first take over the governments, run through a policy which makes everyone automatically answer yes unless they seek to rectify this by engaging in several weeks of bureaucratic fighting?
>>
>>53992449
Why?
>>
File: Kp6RN00.png (46KB, 1200x1314px) Image search: [Google]
Kp6RN00.png
46KB, 1200x1314px
>>53987475
>>
>>53990238
Anon no. Don't do this to me again.
>>
>>53987414
>>
>>53997240
>>
File: peepee.png (90KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
peepee.png
90KB, 800x600px
>>53987414
What is "good" and "evil" is set by society, and by society's standards sacrificing 99% of the population is traditionally evil.

I'd take it.
>>
File: DDJaMOtVoAEGDdl.jpg (82KB, 458x482px) Image search: [Google]
DDJaMOtVoAEGDdl.jpg
82KB, 458x482px
Not if they aren't white.
Thread posts: 122
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.