[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Changling the Lost advice for new Storyteller

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: Duomo.jpg (78KB, 550x366px) Image search: [Google]
Duomo.jpg
78KB, 550x366px
Any advice for someone planning on running a changling the lost campaign set in Milan?
Relatively to the Storyteller system. Mostly run Warhammer fantasy role-play 2e, though I have played a bit of L5R, Shadowrun & D&D.

What advice would you have for a new Storyteller?
Any interesting campaign hooks that you might recommend?

Planning on having the players start out with the support of a mentor, an older Changeling who escaped the same Keeper as one of the Players.
The Mentor would be the deposed ruler of one of the courts with the Usurper being closely related to him and behaving increasingly tyrannically with the general aim of the campaign being the deposition of that ruler and then replacing him.
Thinking of including some side elements such as a powerful acanthus mage seeking to learn more about Arcadia that could be an ally or an enemy depending on how the players treat him, a powerful Mafia boss who is mortal but is seeking to expand into some possibly supernatural business though he does not fully understand it and a demon who acts as an information broker and maintains and enforces a neutral zone for all supernatural creatures around the piazza Duomo.

>inb4 go to the general
I tried and have gotten no response.
>>
No help?
>>
Why Milan? I'm italian and holy fuck it's the least "magical" city we have, probably. Not bad per se or not that much, but jesus, use Turin at least*. The only reason I could see is that you live there (e in questo caso esigo che ci sia lo stalliere di Arcore come orco leggendario, minimo minimo).

*=actually that would be a Mage city. Not sure what I would use for changeling.
>>
I come from Milan, ask me anything.

I have to confess I'm not very familiar with Changeling the Lost, but I don't think Milan would be the most suitable setting for you.
Don't listen to this >>53983744 guy, we have plenty of folklore both in the city proper and in the countryside, it's just we don't have many fey related stuff. It's mostly dragons, ghosts and alchemist-dukes messing around with the laws of nature.
Also in my opinion Milan would be the perfect italian setting for a Vampire game: a rich, densely populated city and center of trade wich not only supports vampires' decadent way of life, but also offers unmatchable hunting grounds with its active night life.

Still, if you look for feys, you should probably consider the northern area of Lombardy, where you can find the "Sanzasánch", the Bloodless, an evil clan of sprites hunting the town of Sondrio or the nightmare inducers Squass near Brescia.
>>
>>53983744
Well I grew up nearby, in Varese, so I am slightly more familiar with the area, which is why I thought of using it. Also I though that it might allow me to incorporate some germanic as well as roman elements more easily due to the Lombard and Frankish conquests.

Alternatively I had thought of setting it in Rome, although I am uncertain how to deal with Vatican City and how that might affect things.
>>
>>53984071
>>53984071
Tell me about the alchemist duke, might be a good idea to base the mage the party interacts with off of him.
>>
>>53984205
There are tons of different versions of that story, but all agree on some points:
1)After the death of an evil archbishop that had been ruling the city a snake like creature came to besiege the town.
2)Noble House Visconti didn't rule the city at the time, and were well known for being schemers and plotters, and thus generally not trusted.
3)But the youngest son of he house, Uberto Visconti, had a plan to get rid of the beast: he wore a spiked armour, got himself swallowed by the monster, killed it from the inside and crawled back out.
That's why the symbol of Milan is pic realted: it's a guy coming out from a dragon, and not being swallowed by it.
4)The whole town cheered him, but he hadn't slayed the beast withour paying a price: that very night, he dreamed of the monster, and it told him that just like he had entered in it, a part of it now lived in him, and that he was now cursed and blessed at once by the dragon's blood.
5) He changed his family motto to "Vipereos mores non violabo" (I won't betray the snake's traditions") and begun to study astrology and magic, his mind fueled by a nevere ending energy coming from dragonblood.
6)He eventually had children and the dinasty went on without him, but no one knows for sure if he ever died. Many events in town are ascribed to him: his family rising to power just a few decades later, the 66 statues of the devil which can be seen on the Duomo (built by a Visconti, by the way), the astounding economic growth of the city banks (maybe connected with a philosopher's stone), a private chat with Leonardo da Vinci and the "hundred years long" dungeon reclusion of a Visconti thought to be a vampire.
7)Some say he is still watching over the city nowadays, and he uses a secret network of tunnels under Milan. (Wich by the way was confirmed to partially exist about 20 years ago, when they begun the works for the Underground).
>>
File: biscione_6.jpg (82KB, 388x539px)
biscione_6.jpg
82KB, 388x539px
>>53984931
Fuck, forgot the pic.

Anyway, some common variations are:
1)The dragon hunted the lake of Como.
2)Uberto was already half dragon since birth, the monster was his half brother or his real father.
3)Uberto kills the dragon stripping naked and coating himself in red poison. He was already an alchemist and knew how to avoid being killed by his own poison.
>>
>>53984931

That is such a great source of inspiration thank you.

You mentioned it being a great city for a vampire game, perhaps I could draw on those elements for the changing game.

Which parts of the city are particularly impoverished? Are there any particularly notable low income areas with a strong criminal presence?
Are the low and high income areas close to one another or quite far apart?
>>
>>53985142
Ok, look, I don't have the precise census maps in mind, but you can find those on the internet.
By stereotypes, the worst places to live are Quarto Oggiaro, a poor neighbourhood abitated mainly by southerners immigrants and Via Padova.
Actually, it's easier if you consider that the city has the shape of a spiderweb: most of areas inside the inner circle, or circonvallazione, is wealthy and clean. Outside that circle there are many disagiated areas.
Note that the communes that form the Hinterland are not always degraded as most european peripheral towns: Sesto, Cinisello and the Brianza region are quite wealthy too.
>>
File: Immagine 17.png (608KB, 1017x1099px)
Immagine 17.png
608KB, 1017x1099px
>>53985916
Forgot pic again: most of the place inside this circle are relatively crime free.
>>
>>53985916
Thanks I think most other things I can probably get elsewhere but you have given me a lot to work with.
Any general advice would be nice from a more experienced GM would be nice but other than that I think you have given me plenty.
>>
what time period are you setting this in Milan has been around for a while?
>>
>>53987951
Modern Day, current year
>>
File: cenacolo100.jpg (40KB, 850x406px)
cenacolo100.jpg
40KB, 850x406px
-In a Park called Piazza Vetra you can fin a monument where executions taken place.
-in S. Ambrogio church is a bronze snake, tradition claims it the ones that Ramses wizard summoned to battle Mose's one turned to stone
whenever it'll turned in is scaley form means apocalyss is coming.
-Joust outside said church there is a column where S.Ambrogio duelled as a toreador with the Devil infact he managed to stuck his horn in that column and you still see the holes, if you put your ears near them you're supposed to hear hell lamenting souls (and probably the tube too).
-In S. Eustorgio church we have am ark with some of the mages remains (most of them where stolen by germans)
- In San Bernardino alle ossa you can find a chapel fancy adobed with real bones and skull.
- Last but not least you can find that notorius fresco too
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.