[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fantasy Astrology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 62a2083f5ca1fb5f63793f8d33f9b658.jpg (660KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
62a2083f5ca1fb5f63793f8d33f9b658.jpg
660KB, 1600x1200px
Help me, /tg/, you're my only hope.

I'm currently designing a system of astrology for a setting, and you wouldn't believe how fucking rare it is to find a good resource on it, especially new symbols and meanings. For some reason, games either leave out astrology, or regulate it to the plot hook level (Eberron), or just use our world's zodiac with some slight changes. I don't want that, and I'm sure plenty of people here are going "hey wait, I might want that, because my autism says it'll be cool".
So now, I turn to the /TG/ hivemind, and hope for a discussion of the various astrological signs in settings.
I can also try and do maths for people who want complicated stuff, but I want to know if any of my math seems right.

I'll open this up by telling you, whether you want to hear it or not, about what I've got so far.
Astrology is going to be a big hook for this setting, because in the sky, beyond the moons, burn 13 symbols, bright enough to be barely seen in the daylight. This ring of symbols slowly rotates around the world, taking 364 days to complete one cycle. There are also three moons - white, blue, and green - and a tiny moonlet. These also have their own schedules, with the moonlet completing its orbit in 26 hours, white in 56 days, blue in 280 days, and green taking the longest at 1120 days. For completeness, the world is about earth sized, about 1AU from its star, and has an orbital period of 365.25 days.
Also present, 6 other planets, with two in closer orbits and 4 falling towards the outer system.
While I've gotten some basic work done on the symbols (trying for mystical lines, instead of constellations recognizable as everyday objects), I'm also looking for possible meanings astrologers can assign to the different symbols-moons-planets combinations.
And generally discuss fantasy astrology that isn't a lazy "scrub the serial numbers off" deal.
>>
A good place to start is I think to take some inspiration from Western Astrology. I'll admit some of this is fuzzy to me, but if you know better, then do correct me.

In Western Astrology, each sign is associated with an element, which is the character of the energy:

Fire is action.
Earth is steadfast.
Air is contemplative.
Water is flowing.

Each sign also has a quality to it:

Cardinal is taking the lead.
Fixed is holding it in place.
Mutable is flexible.

Each Sign is composed of one of each of those qualities:

Aries: Cardinal Fire
Taurus: Fixed Earth
Gemini: Mutable Air
Cancer: Cardinal Water
Leo: Fixed Fire
Virgo: Mutable Earth
Libra: Cardinal Air
Scorpio: Fixed Water
Sagittarius: Mutable Fire
Capricorn: Cardinal Earth
Aquarius: Fixed Air
Pisces: Mutable Water

There would be a 13th sign that has been merged with Scorpio that rests somewhat in between Scorpio and Sagittarius called Ophiuchus (The Serpent Bearer), but for the sake of a cleaner Zodiac, was merged into Scorpio (Do speak up if I'm wrong).

Each sign has the traits of those qualities and elements. That's it.

Another thing to consider are the Houses. That is, Where on the Zodiac the planets and stuff are in relation to your Rising Sign (The Sign that was on the horizon when you were born). The Houses determine where those incidences happen.

And that's not getting into what each planet means, and how they interact with one-another by way of Conjunctions, Oppositions, Sextiles, etc.
>>
>/TG/
You have to go
>>
>>53975580
>What deck are playing?
>What are the strengths?
>What is the weakness?

>What deck are playing?
Grixis Pyromancer Therapy
LINK: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lgc-grixis-pyromancer/
DECKLIST:
1 Bayou
2 Bloodstained Mire
4 Brainstorm
4 Cabal Therapy
1 Engineered Explosives
4 Force of Will
4 Gitaxian Probe
2 Island
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Polluted Delta
4 Ponder
4 Preordain
1 Swamp
1 Thoughtseize
4 Tombstalker
3 Underground Sea
3 Volcanic Island
4 Young Pyromancer

Sideboard:
1 Counterspell
1 Flusterstorm
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
4 Leyline of the Void
4 Pyroblast
2 Thoughtseize
2 Vendilion Clique

>What are the strengths?
1. Answers [ALMOST] Everything W/ Cabal Therapy, Gitaxian Probe, and Young Pyro synergies.
2. TEMPO TEMPO TEMPO TEMPO
3. I get to crush the field with the Tombstalker tech. Flying over massive bodies and being able to block + bolt a Griseldaddy is troll worthy. Crushing BUG ground based offenses with speed or flying.
4. JVP is gas for delve, card selection, and snap casting at a sorcery speed for proactive interaction.
>What is the weakness?
1. Very little. The deck is 45-55/45-55 against the field. Knowing how to sequence and how to maximize all the synergies to maximize simultaneous triggers is very important
>>
Not OP, but I want to bump this before I go to bed.

Might yield something interesting.
>>
OP look into more obscure astrologies from our own world and use them as inspiration. Consider looking into the proto-Indo-European religion and its symbols and such, or maybe native american religions. Off the top of my head, I remember reading that the Andean indians have their word for back refer to behind you and to the future (it is unknown), and forward refers to the past (because you can see it/remember), so completely the opposite of the western way of thinking
>>
>>53975580
None of that level of detail will ever come up in game, meaning that you're doing useless work.
>>
>>53978227
Thanks, I'll remember to look at those when I get back from work two-three days from now (shipping my ass to the middle of nowhere and back after we welcome some country band and them kick em out). This is going to be somewhat important when I get into designing how the various cultures interpret them, since the symbols are the same across the entire globe.
>>53978259
Well, it satisfies my autism, and it can make useful plot hooks for really powerful magical rituals (In a year when X sign is rising on the eve of the summer solstice, and on the third sign before is the full green moon, begin your preparations under the waxing half blue 2 signs after the solstice until the third full white has passed, and upon the following new white start the casting at sunset).
I'm also thinking of tying some stat bonuses into your characters horoscope.
Navigation and astronomy would be pretty advanced though is my thought.
>>
File: 4_worlds_by_chriscold-db261u2.jpg (352KB, 736x810px) Image search: [Google]
4_worlds_by_chriscold-db261u2.jpg
352KB, 736x810px
Bumping it before it dies out in the swarm
>>
>>53975580
Elder Scrolls has astrology, I think... you are born under a sign and you get that signs powers, idk, that's the only thing I've seen in any setting close to astrology.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.