[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your favorite non dnd fantasy game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

File: 1oQi5Kv.jpg (218KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1oQi5Kv.jpg
218KB, 1920x1080px
What is your favorite non dnd fantasy game?
>>
Pathfinder. :^)
>>
Fantasy Craft
>>
File: 2e cover thrall tattoos big.png (2MB, 995x1288px) Image search: [Google]
2e cover thrall tattoos big.png
2MB, 995x1288px
>>53910572
Talislanta!
>>
>>53911057
Why is it your favorite?
>>
Probably Basic Fantasy.
>>
>>53910572
13th Age.
>>
Wakfu :^)
Really though, I liked Courage is Magic when I played it a couple years ago.
>>
Spell Singer.
But I'm also a degenerate
>>
>>53911565
its that a mlp game?
>>
>>53910572
Ars Magica.
Shadow of the Demon Lord also has promise, but the mechanics kill every attempt at serious horror.
>>
Does Deadlands count?
>>
>>53911092
The cultures are exotic and have interesting quirks (eg, Xambrians get possessed by the spirits of their mass-murdered ancestors, Thralls are clones whose only differentiation is the tattoos on their bodies) and the magic system is very creative. Each culture has its own magical tradition and they're not interchangeable mechanically like in D&D.

The setting is weird fantasy partially based on the works of Clark Ashton Smith and Jack Vance's Planet of Adventure, which was great stuff. It doesn't have the stereotypical humans/elves/dwarves/orcs races, although some of them do look - emphasis on look - very similar.
>>
>>53910572
Barbarians of Lemuria, thews-down.
>>
Burning Wheel.

If retroclones count, Dungeon Crawl Classics is fairly high up as well.

If non-3.PF editions of D&D count as well (that's the edition people usually talk about), then 2nd edition AD&D.
>>
>>53910572
My own homebrew stuff, rpg are costly and i live in the middle of nowhere. So my group just rip of hearsay and make it's own.
>>
>>53910572
Barbarians of Lemuria. It does everything so well, and can EXCEEDINGLY easily be hacked into either higher or lower fantasy.
>>
>>53910572
Nechronica
>>
It'd have to be Burning Wheel
>>
>>53911969
>>53911904
My comrade of Stygian descent
>>
File: harnmaster-full.jpg (215KB, 599x449px) Image search: [Google]
harnmaster-full.jpg
215KB, 599x449px
>>53910572
>>
>>53911752
Isnt ars magica just about wizards and shit they do?
>>53911904
Why everyone recommends barbarians of lemuria, isnt it just like dungeon world with conan the barbarian? how high magic is it?
>>
>>53911956
Cant you download pdfs?
>>53912250
what is harnamaster about?
>>53912404
see >>53911969
>>
>>53910642
>Non DnD
>>
>>53912404
>Why everyone recommends barbarians of lemuria, isnt it just like dungeon world with conan the barbarian? how high magic is it?
It's not at all like DW; I have no idea how you got that, other than "someone suggested it as an alternative to D&D".

BoL is a d6-based system that uses your PC's former occupations to determine your abilities. For example, if your character was formerly a slave, a pirate, a thief, and a scholar, you would be able to use the Pirate-derived dice while rolling for fighting stuff. Another PC whose backstory was Warrior, Warrior, Warrior, and Warrior would obviously be better at fighting stuff, but not so much at other tasks.

Magic is really low in the game's "official" setting. Most wizard-type characters are NPCs, because magic isn't "spend ten minutes memorizing Fireball and then kill everyone in the room with it". Magic in BoL can be put into three rough tiers:

>parlor tricks (takes a little while to prepare)
>useful magic (opening a locked door, etc). Takes about a month to prepare
>big magic (summoning a demon, etc.). Could take years to prepare, plus a lot of prepwork to make sure everything is juuuuuuuust right. Because magic is so hard to use, its use is usually relegated to NPC villains.

The rules are more streamlined than D&D, but not anywhere near DW's "I rolled an 8, that means I win" rules.

A new edition was just released last(?) year, "Mythic Edition". You should give it a read.
>>
>>53912573
BoL is far better than DW in every way.
>>
The Fantasy Trip.

The setting it simple and inviting. I love that wizards are rare and both predictable and unpredictable because of the freedom they have with summoning, illusions, and images. I love how low level mages are just completely physically drained after casting just a few spells, and how a singularly powerful wizard must also be at peak physical health, and if you aren't gonna put in the exercise you goto work with a team of wizards to get any bleeding edge work done.

Give it a try, it birthed Gurps.
>>
>>53912573
Maybe its stupid to ask, but what kind of games does BoL will emulate the best?

can a group of dnd players adapt well?
>>
>>53912429
early/high middle ages !not england with magic and shit. it's gritty fantasy with amputation risk and chance of dying of wound infection
>>
>>53912695
but you play mages mostly right?
>>
>>53912693
>Maybe its stupid to ask, but what kind of games does BoL will emulate the best?
No stupid questions, only stupid questioners. BoL works best as an emulation of a Conan the Barbarian story. One neat part of the rules is how treasure is converted into XP. At the end of a session, the players are encouraged to (and mechanically rewarded by) squander their loot on revelry and whores, rather than stockpiling it.

>can a group of dnd players adapt well?
The biggest hurdle for modern D&D players might be the lack of magic items as boosters. I started with AD&D 2E, and I really love BoL.
>>
Does Lone Wolf count? Both the old "multiplayer game books" and the newer one are really good. Cool setting in a pulpy way. The old d20 version sucked, though.
>>
>>53912777
nice trips, also what is lone wolf?
>>53912759
how big can a character become? like just the tilte of barbarian king or something mechanically?
>>
>>53912709
nope. you play peasants/craftsmen/men-at-arms. there are mages, called shek-pvar, though. what you are thinking of is ars magica. that is magical not! europe. harnmaster is low magic.
>>
>>53913157

Lone Wolf was an old series of gamebooks written by Joe Dever, the kind where you "go to page 137 if you wish to take the left path". They were later made into several different RPGs as well as a "multiplayer" gamebook version. Really neat!
>>
>>53914202
cyoa?
>>
>>53914272

With actual rules and a "dice rolling" mechanic, yes.
>>
>>53913991
i dont know if i am confusing games but isnt harnmaster the one with a huge hit location table or was it reign?
>>
>>53910642
>>53910839
>>53911277
>>53911350
All dnd related
>>
>>53911592
what is spell singer about? isnt it just a setting?
>>
>>53910572
Song of Swords
>>
File: AP 1.jpg (592KB, 1020x1320px) Image search: [Google]
AP 1.jpg
592KB, 1020x1320px
>>53913157
>how big can a character become? like just the tilte of barbarian king or something mechanically?

Here's what the Mythic rules say. This is the rough draft copy so the final version might be a little different.

You get Advancement Points (AP) from the way you describe squandering your treasure after the end of the adventure. AP can be spent to increase different things about your character (continued on next post)
>>
File: AP 2.jpg (722KB, 1020x1320px) Image search: [Google]
AP 2.jpg
722KB, 1020x1320px
>>53916588

Here are the things you can spend AP on
>>
File: AP 3.jpg (708KB, 1020x1320px) Image search: [Google]
AP 3.jpg
708KB, 1020x1320px
>>53916617
continued
>>
>Ctrl-F
>Runequest
>Glorantha
>King of Dragon Pass

tantum video plebios
>>
>>53910572

Banestorm
>>
>>53913157
Here's all the Lone Wolf Books in handy electronic format, with the blessing of the author, RIP in Peace.

http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Home
>>
>>53910572
Earthdawn - Fantasy Fallout with the best magic item system I have seen in any game ever.
>>
>>53917206
which edition?
>>53917101
What is this?
>>53917186
Thanks!
>>
>>53917254
Honestly I've only extensively played 1e, as I have nearly all the books in for it, but have heard good things about the current edition, 4e.
>>
File: 07420f1515dad08b7309cb3d2ced8e70.jpg (167KB, 700x1000px) Image search: [Google]
07420f1515dad08b7309cb3d2ced8e70.jpg
167KB, 700x1000px
>>53911739
Yep. Rolled up a griffon (Element of Courage - tank/berserker), made friends with a changeling (Shadows - essentially rogue) over ponies not trusting us to not eat them.
Aside from a That Guy (who was occasionally the GM and whose PC was a stereotypical DMPC even as a player), it was pretty fun! Got to cook and eat a wolf, would play again.
>>
>>53919144
well if it wasn't for the fandom or the fact that it is a show for little girls, i wouldn't find this so strange
>>
>>53910572
World of Darkness is urban fantasy. Does that count?
>>
>>53910572
Shadow of the Demon Lord. The game kind of fails as a serious horrer game, but its a blass for some fast and frantic action. And as a plus the class system lets you come out very differently than others!
>>
>>53919521
not that guy, but as an ex-horse fag I think the show had some really interesting lore.
>>
Dungeon World

It's pretty much objectively one of the best currently out there.

It has fast easy to use mechanics and is perfect for beginners, it's a lot cheaper than most of these other rules bloated systems that cost fifty dollars.

There is no reason for extra rules when it is he role playing that matters. Dungeon World is fast and innovative and still feels exactly like the spirit of ADND before DnD 3.5 destroyed the hobby and ruined a generation of role players.

You want fast, intuitive combat? Dungeon World does that.

You want real, deep roleplaying mechanics? Dungeon World does that.

You want great mechanics that reward diversity of play? Dungeon World does that as well.

My last session of Dungeon World my human fighter wrapped a vampire in a bear hug and wrestled him out a window. This is real roleplaying we are talking about here, not babby 3.5 shit.
>>
>>53919521
Honestly, the show didn't have too much bearing on the campaign, aside from most of the NPCs being equine and the plot hook being hired by Princess Luna for mercenary jobs rather than tavern rumors or whatever.
The noncombat was pretty fun, too - I wasn't used to being able to fly, or emote with wings, or that magic is so casual and commonplace yet still only for unicorns. Plus, having a shapeshifter as a PC race inevitably lead to "yeah, she probably won't mind you taking her form for a bit. What could go wrong?"

>>53920815
Haven't watched in a couple seasons myself (not too find of what they did with changelings either), but Eris or an Eris-inspired creature keeps finding her way into my settings. They really did a Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony well.

>>53920845
How is it for new GMs and small groups of 3 or so people?
>>
>>53920845

> bearhugs a vampire
>dis muh real role play
>>
>>53911920
>>53912000

What is Burning Wheel and why is it your favorite??

A lot of niggers in this thread cannot read, apparently.
>>
File: now THIS is podracing!.jpg (46KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
now THIS is podracing!.jpg
46KB, 1280x720px
>>53920845
>my human fighter wrapped a vampire in a bear hug and wrestled him out a window.
>This is real roleplaying
>>
>>53911920
>>53912000
I agree, Burning Wheel

>>53923093
Burning Wheel is a Tolkien-esque fantasy rpg with it's main focus being on the goals, motivations and changes of the PCs. Personally I like it because in most conflicts there's a few different levels of mechanical complexity you could apply to it meaning you can decide how much time is worth spending on any given conflict. The main point that's usually brought up for Burning Wheel is the character focus though. Essentially every character has:
>Three beliefs
These are a statement about the world that your character holds to be true. You get rewarded for following your character's beliefs. These can change at any time between sessions.
>Three instincts
These are actions your character takes automatically. You get rewarded when these cause a problem for your character
>Traits
A list of descriptors which apply to the character. Some have mechanical effects of their own but most are just there because you get rewards when they make your character's life more interesting. These can only be changed in a trait vote that takes place very 6-12 sessions where a trait that doesn't apply is removed and a new one is added.
>>
DSA
>>
>>53910572
I like choose your own adventure rp games so I'm making my own on youtube for GOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMOPI-Cz4c0
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.