[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mounted Encumbrance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: pm.jpg (90KB, 399x600px) Image search: [Google]
pm.jpg
90KB, 399x600px
An old friend wants to dust off the 3.5 books (I know, I know) for a campaign, Lv.3 start, and I ended up making a mounted combat character since I never did try that playstyle out back in the day.

I ran into a problem, though: War Horse can only carry 300lbs to stay at light load, and I don't want to be encumbered by a medium+ load.

At BARE MINIMUM, we're looking at:

Barding - 50lbs
Military Saddle - 30lbs
Bit & Bridle - 1lb
My rider's plate armor - 50lbs
My rider's lance - 10lbs

No saddlebags (8lbs), even. And none of this shit can be shoved into a party bag of holding while staying useful. That only leaves 159lbs left for the rider himself.

Now, he's a very strong human (STR 18, CON 14), so at 6'2" he should be around 220-250lbs depending on how lean he is. Definitely no less than 210.

If I want to get him under 159lbs I'd have to make him a total manlet, like we're talking 5'6". Should I try to make do with lighter armor until I can buy my horse some +Str equipment, or should I resign myself to having to play a midget?
>>
Play a dwarf or an elf instead of a human.

Also DnD equipment weights are retarded.
>>
As someone with a strong interest in history, those numbers seem a bit fucking retarded.

How the fuck does that warhorse have so many problems carrying a knight around? What the fuck?

>3.5

Oh right.
>>
>>53905599
>>53905692
I don't know shit about actual weight of medieval stuff, what would more realistic weights for the items in question be? The barding is chain shirt, by the way.

Anyway, I can't be a dwarf or elf because mounted combat aint cheap on feats and I need that bonus feat. Besides, non-human races only exist to remind everyone how great humans are. Dwarves are cool too, but a properly built dwarf would still be over the weight limit I think (and the FEATS).
>>
>>53905723
I dunno about the weights, but remember that in the late middle ages, horses ran around carrying knights in FULL PLATE while wearing FULL PLATE BARDING.

So yeah, I think 3.5 is fulla shite.
>>
>>53905756
Quick glance at rules gives the result that a horse in barding, with a full-plate knight on it would be 30% slower than the horse on it's own. It sounds hella reasonable to me. After all there was distinction between heavy and light cavalry as far as I remember, and speed must have been one of the factors.
>>
>>53905756
Well maybe they were riding at medium load instead of light load, not like that horse could run as fast as one wearing lighter protection carrying a less heavy rider, right?

Heavy Warhorse speed in 3.5 is 50ft at light load, 35ft at medium/heavy
>>
>>53904458
I think that you shouldn't expect a horse carrying heavy equipment and a rider with heavy armor to be able to run as fast as an unloaded horse. It's simply not how it works. There's a reason why there are both heavy cavalry and light cavalry.

BUT, this is 3.5 we're speaking of, so I'll let you know that you can probably get the horse to run faster than a common one.
First off, see if the GM will allow for the horse to use the elite stat array, or to maybe get a 20 point buy. FYI, every creature in D&D uses the standard stat array, simply with racial modifiers slapped on top of them.
Which is to say, a heavy warhorse has something along the lines of +6 STR, +2 DEX, etc. If the player is able to toss in some more points into STR, the value of the light load will increase.

Which also means that you can probably get some enchanted hooves to give the horse +4 STR, thus increasing the light load. A warhorse with 22 STR would have a light load of 519 lbs.

Alternatively, get a horse with templates. Two templates that you would find easily on a good warhorse are Warbeast and Magebred. If you have to choose between the two, I'd recommend getting a Magebred Warhorse, since it gets +4 to one stat and +2 to other two, you can easily get it to the desired 22 STR value. Plus, it'll be all around a better animal.
But really, they aren't mutually exclusive. Get a Magebred Warbeast Warhorse. A respectable knight should accept nothing less.
>>
>>53906038
Warbeast template specifically says it can't be applied to Warhorses. Also, I think there's some rule somewhere (can't find it atm) that you need to be 2 levels higher than the CL of any Warbeast templated creature you want to ride (this came up when I discovered how cheap it is to purchase a Warbeast Dire Wolf and other ridiculous mounts). Will have to ask my DM about Magebred though, since I think we're playing Grayhawk and that's Eberron, but thanks for the tips anyhow.
>>
>>53906214
Huh, the bit about it being unable to be applied to warhorses always eluded me. That's what I get for skimming the fluff bits.
The +2 CL thing could have been a ruling by your DM, it's a fair one though. Can confirm that riding a dire wolf is quite devastating, since your mount can consistently make free Trip attacks.

Don't mention it though, and good luck. If all else fails, you can always ride a Bison, since that starts out with 22 STR anyway, and is just CR 2.
>>
>>53904458
Just go at medium encumbrance until you can get some +str horseshoes.

Or ask your DM to stop being fucking autistic BECAUSE WHO THE FUCK ADDS THE WEIGHT OF THEIR CHARACTER TO THEIR GEAR!?
>>
>>53905795
That's the problem mate. It's a very generalized look at how cavalry was used in medieval times.

Medieval knights would command their horses like this.
A slow strut up to 300m of the enemy, a quick pace up to 100m of the enemy, and a full-on gallop 30m away from the enemy. This ensured that the horses were moving fast enough to maintain momentum throughout the manouver, but still fresh enough to go at maximum speed at the moment the knights clashed into the enemy.

A fully packed horse wouldn't just be 30% slower. A fully packed horse would be slow just moving around, but when charging, that horse would move at full speed.
>>
>>53907010
Keep in mind that the speed listed isn't the horse's maximum speed, and that a combat round in 3.5 lasts exactly 6 seconds.
Which is to say that a 30% slower warhorse (move speed of 35ft thanks to medium load/barding) moves at 5,83ft/s (3,97 mph or 6,39 km/h) when not even trying, just keeping a pace it is comfortable with.
Run speed is 5x its move speed. So a galloping heavy warhorse on a medium load moves at 29,07 ft/s (19,82 mph or 31,9 km/h).
Consider that the average speed for a galloping horse irl (unburdened) varies between 25 to 30 mp/h (40 to 48 km/h), and that is a pretty acceptable speed for a horse with chain barding carrying such a heavy load.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.