[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Worldbuilding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

Can you ever world build too much for your setting? I've been working at mine, and it feels like I add a new facet each week. Is there ever a point where you should cut things off and stick with what you have?
>>
>>53901957
If you are ever speaking for a full minute without stopping for any form of input or response, your players are bored.
>>
>>53901968
I'm talking more about the actual process of building a world in which the players inhabit beforehand. I think it's fair that no matter what it is, it should be revealed to the players in bite sized chunks.
>>
>>53901985
That depends entirely on your level of self-control. As long as you're willing to accept the fact that 90% of what you build will never see the light of day, go wild.
>>
>>53902002
Well, how do you quantify that? If 90% is only ever going to be seen, what should the 10% of revealed content be?
>>
>>53902023
The stuff that the players decide to care about
>>
>>53902099
That's a nonanswer. If the stuff players decide to care about is the only stuff you make, how do you get the foresight to make it? Obviously when you're winging it that can work, but for a premade world? That's just a bogus answer.
>>
>>53902167

Present a surface level view of the world wherever the players end up going, then go into detail when need be. Make a "tourist" description of the culture, i.e. "The culture here focuses on Sun Worship, they have domesticated dinosaurs, eat mostly fish and veggies, and their main export is jewels from the mountainous region to the west."

Player are interested? Go a little deeper:
"The Dinosaurs aren't domesticated, their fully sapient partners; the sun is worshipped as a Mother Goddess who provides light to warm eggs and keep the darkness away. The reason the population mostly eats fish is because the dinosaurs are the big land animals and given that they are sapient aren't on the menu, and since there are fertile fishing grounds nearby it works. The gems aren't valuable to the culture itself in a monetary sense, but they feel each contains a ray of the Sun Mother's warmth, and since People want them they see it as a religious duty to spread the gems around. "

Just go granular.
>>
>>53902681
This. Fractal worldbuilding is how to not waste time.
>>
>>53901957
As a GM, i just take a world and bullshit my last read of the moment in. Then i put my fetish and some plagiat of old fantasy.

My actual world is godless(they got kill by human) world full of race create by mankind who got extinct.

Lot and lot of monstergirl(male).
To answer your question: Just make it happen, player rarely care about a coherent universe. Put some awesome, monsterboy and cool concept then make them deeper if player react to it, otherwise drop them.
>>
>>53901957

I've been working on the same setting for eleven years now. Not for any other reason than my own enjoyment. It's evolved constantly over that time until its become unrecognisable to its previous iterations, but I feel it gets better.

But if you want to have a deadline, I'd say it's best to cut things off when you've got it set, and don't go back to change anything. The last eight books I've written could only be finished if I stopped tinkering with the world, otherwise the smallest alteration would throw off the entire plot.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.