[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Demons in RPGs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1.png (40KB, 323x732px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
40KB, 323x732px
I'd like to know to what degree demons should feature in an RPG and lore. Are they the force behind every war and evil? Or are they just bags of xp in dungeons as easy "this is evil" killable things? Should they be easy to summon or talk to? Are they misunderstood proto-life from a God? Are "angels" just reskinned demons and vice-versa?
>>
>>53896663
Depends on the setting.
>>
>>53897156
Well, I'd like to know which ones people thought were the best.
>>
>>53896663
Yes.
>>
>>53897204
In that case, >>53897226 is absolutely right.
>>
>>53897243
I'll credit the demonic/mathematician answer in exchange for an answer based on the spirit of the post, rather than the exact meaning.
>>
>>53897308
Okay.
That answer is "All of those."
>>
>>53897308
Seriously, you're asking the wrong question here.

It's not about a single right answer, it's about what you want to do with your demons.

What's your setting? What kind of cosmology have you gone for?

Any and all of those options are perfectly good ones for demons -- even the bags of xp one.

I mean, otherwise you'll get answers which are not what you'd find helpful: "Demons shouldn't feature at all in rpgs, because they get in the way of computers and lasers." "Demons should all be cute monstergirls who want daddy's cummies, especially in horror games." "Well aaaactually, in my setting demons are actually a type of gnome. You see after the gnomes and the elves (who are actually giant hedgehogs carved from obsidian) fought for the mountain of rivercoast, the gnomes got turned into demons after they made a deal with Asmocifer the beeping-horror, in exchange for free KFC"
>>
>>53897474
I was hoping that people would say "I rather liked the demons from X series because Y" then i'd nick their ideas.
>>
>>53897513
Ah, now that's a question.

Here's a couple of places to swipe from:
>In Nomine - You play as angels or demons in a universe which is actually music created by god. Demons are fallen angels who try to make their own infernal tune, rather than try to fit into the divine symphony.
>Demon the Descent - God's a giant machine/computer. You were an angel -- a machine god created for a specific purpose. You malfunctioned/became free willed and no longer want to be just a cog in the divine machine. Your true form is a techno-horror combination of flesh and steel, which you disguise beneath a human form -- for fear of the God Machine recognising you and trying to have you recycled.
>The Laundry Files - Demons (or Exomes, as the Laundry prefers to call them) are non-physical entities from another universe called through Platonic realm via mathematics (or in other words, magic). Lacking bodies, they're typically used to possess things, like corpses, the bodies of dogs (making hell hounds... and an awful mess) and other, stranger things.
>>
>>53897513
How could anyone conceivably come from your question to such an answer?
>>
>>53897664
It's something like 1:00 am here.
>>
>>53897662
I rather enjoyed the demons from the Harry Dresden universe, semi-aware of their own tropes and under only the thinnest varnish of human to bargain with.
>>
>>53897716

Then get some sleep. 4chan will still be here tomorrow.
>>
>>53897474
I would play in a one-off of that setting. It sounds fun.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.