[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are 40k Marines so popular?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 23

Serious question, all memes aside:

To all you 40k players who play both loyalist and chaos Space Marines, here is my honest-to-goodness question:

What's the appeal?

Warhammer 40,000 is a vast universe full of many possibilities and many choices in who you decide to spend money, time, and effort in the army you elect to play as. To this day, though, it befuddles me that the scales tip so heavily in favor of the really-really-big-men-in-armor versus the variety of choices you would otherwise have. So please, in all seriousness: Share with us why you started collecting Marines. And maybe we will all have insight into why Space Marines (Chaos and Loyalist) are the most popular armies that Games Workshop caters to, to this very day.
>>
>>53895171

Why do you play your boring ass faction that the vast majority of 40k players don't play and would rather play marines instead? You tell me.

>why don't I like these things I don't like
>explain to me why these things I don't like aren't like the things I like
>>
>>53895171
I stumbled upon the Index Astartes of the Thousand Sons and the Iron Warriors when they were released, and I fell in love with these Legions.
Afterwards, there's a lot more stuff written from a marine pov than from a Xenos one.
>>
>>53895171
>marines are pushed everywhere
>get the most competitive and up to date models and rules
>which means people buy them
>which gives GW to give them more new models
GW just sells space marines, they killed Fantasy to sell space marines and are now making dwarf space marines.
>>
>>53895171
Space Marines are genetically modified warrior-monks who are strapped into power armour, and handed a rapid fire missile launcher.
They come from a massive variety of chapters, and can be played in different ways...

However really they were the first army I ever got, and I didn't want to have to start another from scratch.
>>
>>53895171
Genetically superior demigods methodically stomping out everything they deem unworthy of existence without remorse or respite.

They cater to my repressed fascist tendencies I carried with myself from my teens while also being on the 'good' side. Plus the whole 'knight' aspect.
>>
>>53895290
>marines are pushed everywhere
Hello, child, might I tell you about how SM and CSM outsold all armies 3 to 1 since RT days, despite Eldar consistently being the most powerful army in the game for 6 out of 8 editions?
You didn't know that? Of course you didn't, you got all your 40k knowledge from /tg/, who only knows the game as far back as 4e!
>>
>>53895171
Space Marines look cool.
They have cool lore.
They have the always outnumbered, never outmatched thing going for them.
>>
File: 1432560369464.jpg (57KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1432560369464.jpg
57KB, 900x900px
2+ / 3+ save.

Good stats overall.

Anything you can do my marines can do better etc.
>>
>>53895171
A combination of a love for super soldiers and a love for fancy plate armor.
>>
I like knights
I like space knights
I like magical space knights

Don't get me wrong, I also like Imperial Guard, Nectrons & Orks, (if Imperial Guard had more choices than Cadians, perhaps a bunch more neo-gothic armor, instead of generic space soldier stuff) but not nearly as much as I like magical space knights.
>>
As a hobbyist, the biggest appeal is the fact that space marine bits come in the gorillions and you can easily make a lot of conversions with little effort so long as you've got a few boxes lying around. Hell, I bought the sternguard set just to make other kits look better and never even assembled one of them.

I will say that they get boring, though. Seeing other armies that are way harder to convert because of a lack of options is always nice to see properly done, especially if no third party are involved (not that those are bad, but the actual challenge of staying in GW to make good models that are unique)
>>
>>53895171
They're human, but powerful humans, often enough portrayed as heroes.
Being human appeals to humans(as most players are), power and heroism appeals to people.
Then you have different primarchs and chapters that appeal to more specific demographics
>I like romans and like to complain about how HBO cancelled Rome in favor of GoT
ultramarine
>I like vikings and listen to manowar way too much
space wolves
>I like to migrate and form cantabrian circles
white scars

I don't collect warhammer figurines, but for me it is pretty easy to see why they are popular.
>>
They are popular because they appeal to player's egos. Same reason Call of Duty is popular. Or why Fast and the Furious is popular.
>>
>>53895171
The Black Legion's color scheme was what first caught my attention, and when I read their background I liked the idea of orphaned, vengeful sons paying tribute to insane daemon gods but retaining their focus. Some nicely-painted Terminators sold me on the aesthetic, and the rest is history.
>>
>>53895171
>>53895829
>I like romans and like to complain about how HBO cancelled Rome in favor of GoT
>ultramarine
>I like vikings and listen to manowar way too much
>space wolves
>I like to migrate and form cantabrian circles
>white scars
>I like twilight but also Jesus
>blood angels
>when I come home from work I like to play Work Simulator 40000 and my sand castle is better than yours
>imperial fists
>when someone pulls out a cigarette I feel the need to give him fire
>salamanders
>different religion? talk to my chainsaw!
>black templars
>I like to write sad poems with a razor on my own arms
>raven guard
>dear diary let me not tell you what totally didn't happen today!
>dark angels
>hey you - stop having feelings over there
>iron hands
>I like to collect my sisters tampons
>gray knights
>>
File: Raven guard captain.png (816KB, 617x800px) Image search: [Google]
Raven guard captain.png
816KB, 617x800px
>>53895171
Because I love the idea of super-soldiers, and space marines do it in an interesting way that other games and shit don't really do
>>
>>53895171

Sexless man-children in armour.

I can't imagine why.
>>
>>53895171
Because there is more fluff and crunch for a single chapter than there is for the entire faction of Dark Eldar.

They are the poster child of 40k and GW will milk that sucker harder than Disney milking its Marvel acquisitions.
>>
File: 1466787564115.jpg (204KB, 1380x960px) Image search: [Google]
1466787564115.jpg
204KB, 1380x960px
>>53895171
I just like 'em is all.
>>
>>53895171
I like my easily themeable Knightly Orders in Space.
>>
because eldar are for virgins who want to fulfill their elf fantasies, orks have too many models, and tau are for the weaboos
>>
>>53896800
>girl
>in a hobby store
>>
>>53896691
kek
>>
Easy to paint
Easy to customize
Well supported
Flexible play style
>>
>>53895171
They have the most lore which makes them have the most accessible lore, people are prone to read about how cool and hard-ass the Space Marines are which might be their entry to the franchise.
>>
>>53896800
Lel funny pic
>>
Always liked the Thousand Sons. They are those who fell, trying to do the right thing, placed in an impossible position, tainted by eternal evil... what's not to like?
>>
>>53895171
I play Grey Knights because I love playing small, elite forces over massed armies.
>>
>>53895829
It takes a special kind of autistic to not be able to see their appeal. Like Anakin claiming the Jedi are evil level autistic.
>>
>>53895171
>What's the appeal?
simple but effective design

They're a blank canvas. The fact that there are so many variations is a result of that.
>>
>>53896800
>world eater
That entire store is one botched brush stroke from a bloodbath.
>>
>>53895171
I like the background of the different factions.
Easy to paint.
Decent on the tabletop.
>>
>>53895171
>literal posterboys of the setting
>all the fluff revolves around them
>they have the most expansive fluff of any army.
>easy to paint. most of their body is solid-colored flat armor panels.
I actually would've played IG but i don't have a lot of money and the betrayal at calth box set was a really good deal. Space marines just kinda grew on me after that.
>>
>>53897038
This. You can think of an idea, a fighting style, a real-world culture, a mindset, etc., and you can slap it on some space marines. Chances are your idea will either exist already in a chapter more or less or you can make one pretty quickly. Big armor gives you plenty of space for piant jobs and sigils, it's easy to paint, and easy to put personality into.
>>
>>53895171
>To this day, though, it befuddles me that the scales tip so heavily in favor of the really-really-big-men-in-armor versus the variety of choices you would otherwise have.

Because they're my third army, and I like Thousand Sons and Iron Warriors. Plus, the FW range really hits the "gothic future" aesthetic that I love.
>>
>>53895216

Huge men in armor to cater to manlet fantasies. And be honest, most 40k players DO have self esteem issues, and can't communicate properly with women, so the big humans who are perfect in every way are the desired choice of those people.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>53897221
Space Marines aren't perfect in every way.
>>
>>53897221
>perfect in every way
See, you started out well, but then you showed just how much you don't know, and it gives you away.
>>
I ride a motorcycle.

When it was time to pick an army I'd just finished reading Conn Iggulden's Mongol series.

I think my choice was pretty self explanatory.
>>
>>53896838
Well look at her, she's mousy, flat, and unappealing. It makes sense that she'd be a colossal nerd. A hambeast would also be an acceptable portrayal.

If she were a bubbly, busty, social butterfly, then we'd have a problem.
>>
>>53897317
The Raven Guard, right?
>>
>>53897348
Clearly he picked Space Wolves.
>>
>>53897348
How'd you know?
>>
>>53897296

What are their flaws besides them being religious zealots?

I honestly don't know, I just wrote why I, specifically, don't like Space Marines
>>
>>53897054
And one bite of the Nails away from that bad brushstroke.
>>
>>53897424
>I don't know about something, but I'll judge anyway
They are not the legionaries of old, expected to be many things, they are living weapons first, last and foremost.
Their entire existence is blood and death, until they die themselves. To wit, no one really knows how long space marines live because they ALL die in battle, Dante the sole living exception.
It is not a blessed existence; the crucial thing you are glossing over is that being a space marine means surrendering your own life and happiness for humanity. A life of quiet suffering and a violent death is the lot of a space marine, all for a race that may well fuck it all up anyway, but at least now have the opportunity to do something better.
>>
I've never liked Space Marines themselves, but I've always been a Chaos fan.

They have interesting fluff, man. A lot of the traitor primarchs have tragic stories about being duped and manipulated into treason, sold out to otherwordly god-like beings, and thrust into the raw warp just to survive.

That's cool.

I specifically like Death Guard/Nurgle, because according to the fluff Nurgle is probably the kindest major player in the 40k universe. He loves his followers like a father.

He's what the Emperor pretended to be to manipulate a bunch of vat-born manchildren to conquer the stars for him.
>>
>>53895343

How does the sales hierarchy go again?
Marines>Spiky Marines>Eldar>IG>etc
So Eldar are the most popular xenos right?
>>
>>53895171
The reason I find them interesting is I like the idea of humanity triumphing over obstacles and enemies that would tear a normal baseline human to shreds and render a planet like modern Earth completely barren through devastation.

In this regard though I prefer the Imperial Guard over them because unlike Space Marines, Guardsmen are going in pretty much completely unmodified.

Then again, there's no real faction I really dislike in 40k. Which is sort of strange because I can normally decide on a favorite faction for every other game I've played. The tie for my favorite faction personally is between the Tyranids, Necrons, and Imperial Guard.
>>
>>53897778
>Chaos fag
>muh papa Nurgle

Get help anon, your daddy issues are ruining your life.
>>
File: 1497664787837.jpg (169KB, 623x414px) Image search: [Google]
1497664787837.jpg
169KB, 623x414px
They're cool.
>>
>>53897186
Muay Thai marines when
>>
How can I make this worthwhile and 1000pts?
Eventually I'll buy more, but this is combining what I have with a couple SC boxes. That means I have a soare archon, but throwing that in means I need to drop equipment etc from elsewhere.
++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Aeldari - Drukhari) [49 PL, 956pts] ++

+ HQ [11 PL, 204pts] +

Archon [4 PL, 79pts]: Blaster [15pts], Huskblade [10pts]

Lelith Hesperax [7 PL, 125pts]: Penetrating blade

+ Troops [16 PL, 286pts] +

Kabalite Warriors [5 PL, 94pts]
. 8x Kabalite Warrior [56pts]
. Kabalite warrior with Heavy Weapon [27pts]: Dark Lance [20pts]
. Sybarite [11pts]: Power sword [4pts], Splinter Rifle

Kabalite Warriors [5 PL, 89pts]
. 8x Kabalite Warrior [56pts]
. Kabalite warrior with Heavy Weapon [22pts]: Splinter Cannon [15pts]
. Sybarite [11pts]: Power sword [4pts], Splinter Rifle

Wyches [6 PL, 103pts]
. Hekatrix [9pts]: Hekatarii blade, Splinter pistol
. 6x Wych [54pts]
. Wych with Wych Weapon [14pts]: Shardnet and impaler [5pts]
. Wych with Wych Weapon [13pts]: Razorflails [4pts]
. Wych with Wych Weapon [13pts]: Hydra gauntlets [4pts]

+ Fast Attack [10 PL, 224pts] +

Reavers [5 PL, 105pts]
. Arena Champion [30pts]
. Reaver [30pts]
. Reaver with special weapon (up to 1 for 3 models) [45pts]: Blaster [15pts]

Reavers [5 PL, 119pts]
. Arena Champion [34pts]: Power sword [4pts]
. Reaver [30pts]
. Reaver with special weapon (up to 1 for 3 models) [55pts]: Heat lance [25pts]

+ Dedicated Transport [12 PL, 242pts] +

Raider [6 PL, 126pts]: Disintegrator cannon [30pts], Shock Prow [1pts]

Raider [6 PL, 116pts]: Dark Lance [20pts], Shock Prow [1pts]

++ Total: [49 PL, 956pts] ++
>>
>>53896838
Considering one of the EMPLOYEES of one of my local GeeDubs stores is a girl, it's more likely than you think.
>>
>>53898415
Well shit, posted this in the wrong tab.
Sorry.
>>
Giant super soldiers are cool, and GW has given them the most development and characterization since day 1
>>
>>53898393
The Emperor's Eight Limbs
>>
>>53896838
They come into stores fairly often. They just don't buy anything, never play games and leave quickly.
>>
>>53897424

They revere the Emperor but they don't, as a rule, worship him as a divine figure.
>>
File: 87594679466904084404.png (710KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
87594679466904084404.png
710KB, 675x900px
Dark sorcerers of immense power guarded by legions of soul-trapped dust puppets who do their malefic bidding seemed rad
>>
>>53897221
Maybe sprinkle some oregano or cilantro on your bait anon, it's a bit too obvious.
>>
It's the most consistently supported army with the lowest barrier to entry at every level.

Painting them is easy, building them is easy, fluffing them is easy, converting them's easy, playing them is... at least you have options.
>>
>>53897221
>mfw prime, fit specimen normalfag with high self esteem
>play the hobo chapter that everyone hates because I'm not compensating for anything

Theory checks out.
>>
>>53900649
And that chapter is?
>>
>>53900672
>he doesn't know

Learn your lore feggit
>>
>>53898831

The chapter has earned the nickname "Lightning Dancers" due to the power field that sheaths the legplates of their power armor, and the strange dance ritual they perform before every fight. Close combat elements of this chapter are known to go into combat unarmed, save for the occasional power fist, using their devastating power legs to cut down their foes.
>>
>>53895171
I like super soldiers, power armor, and knights.
Also generic stuff is usually going to be the most popular because it's the easiest to digest for mass audiences, it's why heavily market researched stuff like Call of Duty and Marvel movies are so popular. Most people don't like to step outside of their comfort zone and power armored space marines are a pretty big comfort zone in pretty much any sci-fi setting.
>>
File: 25.jpg (27KB, 250x348px) Image search: [Google]
25.jpg
27KB, 250x348px
>>53900672
Assholes Malevolent
>>
People like the idea of space marines in all sci do and they added ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL to that
>>
>>53895171
I don't even play 40k, but is it really so hard to understand why the cheapest, blandest, simplest, and most extensive faction is also the most popular?

Why is instant ramen the most popular Asian food?
>>
>>53900824

People hate them?
>>
>>53900824
Marines Malevolent are based. Those civilians had what was coming to them once they made contact with the Orks.
>>
>>53900865
>cheapest, blandest, simplest things are the most popular
>instant noodles is the most popular Asian dish

Neither of these comments are true or not-retarded.
>>
>>53900906
>civilians

Chances are they were just diggas, xenos sympathizers, and orks in disguise anyway.
>>
>>53900865
>instant ramen
>bland
>cheap

Learn to Shin Ramyun Black you filthy non-weeb.
>>
IG are better than marines for the same reason Sam is more likeable and sympathetic than Boromir or Aragorn.
>>
>>53902767

IG aren't Sam, IG are the nameless soldiers from Gondor or Rohan.
>>
File: 1471890263411.jpg (70KB, 510x546px) Image search: [Google]
1471890263411.jpg
70KB, 510x546px
>>53895171
Why the hell would I care about the other races to begin with? They're uninteresting, undeveloped, and often flat two dimensional copies of something far better. At least Space Marines have some (ironic I know) original vibes to them in both appearance and organization and have some pretty good books. The only faction with better fluff than Marines is the Inquisition, and they aren't exactly an army.
>>
>>53896999
Trips speak the truth.
>>
>>53897424
The fact that they're all raging zealous nutjobs with zero social skills who have few (if any) friendships or emotional attachments? That they're basically children with stunted emotional maturity, have no pleasures in life besides their job and most chapters have no down-time with the only form of 'entertainment' being training?
>>
>>53895171
Perfection - this is why most people play them. They represent the ideal of growth - smart fit and deathly warrior that can kill in library and battlefield alike. If you could be like anything else in 40K in real life what would you choose ? Eldar ? - Emo self centered egoisit fucks that let their race to die out ? Orks ? dumb violent and simple ? You get the picture - Space Marine is what we all would like ourselves to be - and guardsman is probably what we realy are
>>
>>53895343
>Since the RT days
>Were already pushed front-and-center as the most important army
>There were only Marines Eldar and Orks in the RT days, not a bajillion armies
Such competition. Much wow.
>>
>>53895343

Eldar were only so powerful because Shuriken cannons cut through marines for cheap.
>>
>>53902803
You know, we say things like that, but the IG relies on named characters more then pretty much any other faction.
>>
>>53895171
I think for a similar reason Tau is kinda popular; because they're the good guys (or at least not the bad guys).

Chaos wants to kill/convert everything.
Tyranids want to eat everything.
Necrons want to conqueor everyone.
Dark Eldar want to inflict maximum pain.
Eldar are boring space elfs.
Orks are Orcs.

Imperium forces more or less are fighting to save the whole of humanity.
Tau are trying to subjegate everyone into a peaceful society free of evil.

Also they're the poster boys, easy to paint/customise, cover every demograpgic from emo, autist, faggot, etc. & look cool in a silly way.
>>
>>53895171
I actually started with Tyranids when I got into 40k, I loved the aesthetic, and I loved the whole "extragalactic locust" theme they had going on.

Normal Space Marines always kinda bored me, thought their asthetic was so "blah" (even though that really does depend on the paintjob, as I've now realized). At some point, I got myself a copy on a Grey Knight codex and started reading through the lore, and for some reason, it just stuck. I loved the crusader helm the all come with, and so at some point I ordered a Brother-Captain to try out painting Grey Knights, and voila, a year later I've got a full-blown army of Knights next to my nids.

Thinking back, my appeal for these armies both stem from my childhood, I used to love Dinosaurs (Nids), then I had a phase where I loved Knights (GK), and then at about 7 or 8ish years I moved on to Spaceships and stuff. I think 40k is, at least to me, a bit like the "creative culmination/combination" of what I enjoyed in my childhood.
>>
>>53895171
The thing I can't stand most about Space Marines is how every faction is always the best, most coolest faction of grimdark edgelords ever. Eventually all of the special bullshit which makes each chapter "unique" pretty much melts across untill the lines are so blurred its hard to keep track anymore.

>SpaceWolves
I absolutely loathe Space Wolves, I think they're an utterly ridiculous concept which panders to teenage anime fans. They're nonsensically overpowered whilst basically being wrapped in fanservice/plot-armor BECAUSE WOLVES ARE SO COOL lmao xD

>Dark Angels
"We're so cool because we ride bikes and speeders and wear cloaks and hoods and use swords and we're all secretive and stuff"
-emo faction

>Ultramarines
Actually pretty harmless, I think people who "chose" Ultramarines didn't realise that not all Space Marines are blue. They're a boring vanilla faction but at least its not bubbling over with repugnant special-snowflakery.
>>
>>53904585
>teenage anime fans

Aren't most SW players metalheads?
>>
>>53897221
Makes sense in the same way that people enjoy fantasy escapism in video games and stuff

see: Gears of War
>>
>>53897567
>>I don't know about something, but I'll judge anyway
>implying someone should only be a die-hard fan who gobbles up all the lore before qualifying to make any comments or assumptions about my super special favoritest army evar
>>
>>53897186
Can't you do the same for Imperial Guard?
>>
>>53904594
maybe the old ones
>>
>>53902943
You're Ameriacn, aren't you?
>>
>>53904627
>I don't like something I don't know anything about
>you people, enlighten me

No. Why the fuck would you ever defend this. Either do the research yourself or just fuck off and continue not liking thing.
>>
>>53903003
>zero social skills who have few (if any) friendships or emotional attachments
and that's a flaw how? No attachements - nothing to hold your hand back when you're shooting.
>>
>>53904672
>triggered

I guess everyone should just automatically like what you like then
>>
>>53904684
>Either do the research yourself or just fuck off and continue not liking thing.

Everyone should read is what they should fucking do.
>>
>>53904594

My brother plays space wolves and he just loves vikings and metal. He does like him some eh anime though I know he plays them for vikings first.

That said I play a blood angels successor. They're flawed monstrosities in fluff. The actual reason I chose this army was because I wanted to play something that'd be able to get me as close to melee as possible.

Also fuck I love jump packs.
>>
>>53904674
Your hand seems plenty busy tipping all those fedoras.
>>
>>53904659
What does my nationality have to do with this?
>>
File: 1423918721192.jpg (56KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1423918721192.jpg
56KB, 645x773px
I don't understand how Slaanesh is the youngest and weakest god. Pleasure is biologically the essential motivation of every living thing. Violence and fear and whatnot are just as primal but pleasure is more fundamental
>>
>>53897567

>their only flaw is being righteous heroic martyrs for the salvation of humanity

You are a special kind of retard, aren't you?
>>
File: 1494786106917.png (85KB, 150x236px) Image search: [Google]
1494786106917.png
85KB, 150x236px
>>53905051
>but pleasure is more fundamental
t. Fulgrim.
>>
>>53895171
>Fast to paint
>Overall well balanced
>Pretty good stat-wise/rule-wise
>Quite forgiving for new players
>>
>>53905331
>people like man on man assrape, right?
>t. graham mcneil
>>
>>53895171
I can summon it up in one word: Beakies. And if you want to be specific: the original Beakies.
>>
>>53896800
That World Eater looks quite handsomely for someone that's into ultra-brutal CQC.
>>
>>53900880
Even GW and BL hates them. There is a limit to how much of an asshole you can be.
>>
>>53903560
And Guards and Squats and Chaos and Genestealer Cults.
>>
>>53903605
Wut?
Creed, Straken, Yarrik, Pask, and...?
I mean, shit Ultramarines have that many characters alone. Let's not bring up that almost every major chapter has one or two, the unique codexes have 3+ each, or even consider the 12 or so from FW.

If you can find me 15 IG named guys that have had rules in the past 4 editions I will be impressed.
>>
>>53905948
Most chapters have 1 character.
>>
>>53906116
I feel like the part
>one or two
still covers that.
>>
>>53895171
OP, the appeal is very visually good. It's sexless and with an helmet on raceless.

Essentially the Space Marine combines the two most awesome man made things:
1. Full plate armour, from head to toe the guy is essentially a walking castle.
2. Big ass guns.

Because their armour is also such a blank canvas you can apply any colour and it will look alright.

Then to really never let them go they are essentially like LEGOs now in that you can very easily grab ANY kit and put those bits onto them. So if you want your Knight with alien arms, no worry, scale allows it.
>>
File: index.jpg (14KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
14KB, 225x225px
>>53895511
except hordes, my friendly skeleanon fellow
>>
>>53905051
Slaanesh isnt pleasure, but Excess and Hedonism.
>>
>>53904644
yes and no
the thing is that for power armors you just need to strap a coloscheme or some furs on to make a specific vibe
>>
File: 1496386417803.png (444KB, 844x437px) Image search: [Google]
1496386417803.png
444KB, 844x437px
>>53895343
but i played in 3e anon.
also, nids raped eldar in 4e
>>
>>53907307
What about Crusader Squads?
>>
>>53907391
close but no sugar
not nearly enough dudes to compete with nids, guards, orks, or even eldars guardian spam and tau kroot spam
>>
>in a universe where a massive human empire formed upon the ideas of human superiority, why do people play as the genetically engineered post-human supersoldiers who wage holy/unholy crusades to scour the universe of aliens and to protect/conquer/destroy that empire for the luls
>>
File: your doomed.jpg (3MB, 3975x3056px) Image search: [Google]
your doomed.jpg
3MB, 3975x3056px
>>53895171
from the fluff side of it, they are supreme humans and that speaks to many people as wish fufillment. I cant run around in armour that is equivalent to a modern tank, yelling DEATH TO THE FALSE EMPORER, DEATH TO THE XENO, VICTORY OR DEATH ect.

but from the other side of it, some people dislike the other factions more.
cowardly communists.
dumb but funny brutes.
space elves [enough said]
rapey space elves.
and mutant super beings carrying the will of literal gods reflecting humanities darker emotions in the extreme.

furthermore the many books and such are from the humans perspective.

and the crunch? from what I can tell they are the default and well rounded armey that everyone assocates with the franchise.

also in this game, I can feel good about being a racist a xeno phoebe and a mass murderer with good reason. no this is moraly wrong bullshit that SJWs push us for. its the same reason I like DOOM

this is the only world I can see lots of pict related.
>>
>colorful
>cute
>"cool"
>powerful
>>
>>53895171
I resisted playing Marines at firs t because they're "boring and everyone plays them" but after playing a couple games with someone elses Marines they're actually rather fun and have a lot of variation among them.
Theyre the posterboys and everywhere, but that leads to them having some of the most solid play in 40k
>>
>>53908111
>cute
???
>>
>>53904706
>I wanted to play something that'd be able to get me as close to melee as possible.

But not Orks, Dark Eldar, Tyranids or any of the other melee-centric armies?
>>
>>53904778
nailed it
>>
>>53904697
right so you're telling me you sat down and made sure you knew 100% of the lore of every playable race and all of the magical special space marine chapters before you bought a single model?
>>
File: 1482509476410.jpg (139KB, 800x882px) Image search: [Google]
1482509476410.jpg
139KB, 800x882px
>>53897567
>no one really knows how long space marines live because they ALL die in battle, Dante the sole living exception.

When Bjorn wakes up from his nap he'll tell you a story about how he remembers changing Dantes diapers.

Dante is probably the oldest loyalist, non-dreadnaught, in the 40k universe however. To that you could maybe count the other IoM loyalists that have had continued loves longer than Dante on one hand.

As for marines being perfect, black templars? Iron Hands? "Space sharks"? Minotaurs? They come in, kill shit, maybe kill civies for reasons and then fuck right back off leaving a smoldering crater where they had their fun. SMs are dicks. Least chaos sticks around and helps rebuild and console the survivors.
>>
File: greyknightsvdaemons.png (119KB, 822x501px) Image search: [Google]
greyknightsvdaemons.png
119KB, 822x501px
@OP

I got into this hobby in 2011 and actually had pre-ordered some assassins and grey knights for the big release. Then I saw the Dreadknight and I cancelled everything. It made me rethink my decisions, and after a while I realized that I didn't want to play as a faction that was friendly toward any other factions so I wouldn't have to worry about being in a position where I had to justify fighting an ally on the tabletop. And seeing as how I was interested in the whole grey knights vs. daemons thing, daemons ended up being my choice.

And as of Wrath of Magnus I just couldn't help myself. Those are some damn beautiful minis. Also, Thousand Sons are an excellent choice for narrative games.
>>
>>53909710
To explain why I was interested in Grey Knights, prior to 2011 they had a certain mystery to them. Not to mention that they didn't have any stormravens or dreadknights to back them up, they didn't even have rhinos. Playing Grey Knights on the tabletop was like threading a needle, and that was really interesting for me.

Also, they're psychic paladins in 40k.
>>
File: 1497699573205.jpg (44KB, 800x934px) Image search: [Google]
1497699573205.jpg
44KB, 800x934px
>>53909593
>>
File: 1495013459706.jpg (39KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
1495013459706.jpg
39KB, 665x574px
Marines are a great design for minature armies due to the ease of color design, chaos and marines proper are the most important factions in the lore, tau are ultra irrelevant, eldar and necrons are background lore tier and not personable, ig armies are either balls expensive due to being forge world/3ed party or boring, ugly, and not really sci-fi feeling cadians, tyranids don't let you your dudes at all really, and orks are great.

This is why all 40k fiction is marines showing up to save embattled ig under siege by orks but really it's actually chaos. Because that's the best story to tell with the available factions.
>>
>>53895171
40k has and always will be about the story of mankind survival as they desperately defend the galaxy that is their birthright

any xeno, chaos, or mutant threat are simply antagonists to the story.
>>
>>53903163
dont forget that the eldar single handedly ruined the galaxy by fucking a chaos god into existance with their sheet degeneracy.
>>
>>53909593
id rather live for hundreds of years, and die ina glorious battle than be some noise marines sex doll.

>Least chaos sticks around and helps rebuild and console the survivors.

if by that you mean sacrifice all the civis and make anal fissuers and horrible diseases mandatory than ya.

chaos has planets dedicated to the continual torture of average joes because why not, they are chaos, and THATS the dick move.
>>
>>53905051
>le breathing obsession fill slaanesh meme xdddd

average bdsm wont even get you noticed by slaanesh
>>
>>53895171

They have tiny dicks due to the castration process when they're made into Marines. Thus they resonate with thier primary purchasers.
>>
>>53898415
You should give your sybarites agonizers instead of power swords. You're only S3, so it pays off big time.

Hydra Gauntlets are better than the other wych weapons, with the possible exception of the shardnet and impaler for their 2 damage. Razorflails are definitely the redheaded stepchild though.

You forgot grav-talons on your bikes - they're fun and pretty cheap for some mortal wounds.

Otherwise it looks pretty alright.
>>
>>53904585
>not bubbling over with repugnant special-snowflakery
You obviously weren't around for the Matt Ward era.
>>
>>53908863
>I've been told to read the lore so that means I've been told to read literally all the lore.
Nice Straw Man you got there buddy.
>>
Space Marines and Sigmarines are the Honda Civic of Warhammer armies.
They are the Vanilla ice cream of wahammer.
They are the fidget spinner of Warhammer.
They are the thing everyone has, and most boring.
IG > Spezmahrines
>>
>>53895171
three words
Knights In Space
>>
>>53897392
Because you used mis-direction to make us try and presume you playef White Scars.

Mis-direction is Raven Guard 101, Corvus.
>>
>>53911242
Because playing Cadians is so complex and interesting compared to getting to choose between-

>Ultramarines
>Dark Angels
>Space Wolves
>Blood Angels
>White Scars
>Raven Guard
>Black Templars
>Imperial Fists
ETC
>>
>>53911242
>most boring

the heraldry and history of a single space marine chapter can be more in depth and complex than that of entire xeno factions

stay assmad that people like space marines more than your degenerate eldar
>>
>>53897221
Fuck off with your pseudopsychological pondering.
>>
>>53895692
This plus if i wasnt so shit at painting i would play IG more. >>53896838
My GF started playing 40k the same way she started playing DnD. I play it at our house, she watches us, she starts reading the fluff and then she starts.
She plays eldar in 40k and elves in DnD. What have I gotten into?
>>
File: PE-PSR_figure1.jpg (83KB, 320x307px) Image search: [Google]
PE-PSR_figure1.jpg
83KB, 320x307px
>>53911830
>>
File: black templar marine.jpg (122KB, 661x960px) Image search: [Google]
black templar marine.jpg
122KB, 661x960px
At this point, it's mostly about the modelling aesthetic. Adding gothic/religious and eldritch/horror flourishes to the basic idea of futuristic super-soldiers hooked me hard when I was a kid. I also love kitbashing and converting but I'm shitty at greenstuff, and the SM and CSM kits have such a wide range of bitz and gubbinz that are already compatible with each other.

Tying into the aesthetics reason is the fact that my favorite loyalists and traitors are the Black Templars and the Word Bearers: religious fanatics with all manner of anachronistic bling. On some level I think I envy people with the sense of purpose and certainty bestowed by faith, no matter how blind or irrational, and that translates into a fondness for frothing armored zealots charging headlong into battle with guns blazing and chainsaws roaring.
>>
>>53905566
What, you mean the sociopathic space cops?
>>
>>53908826
You're white aren't you?

Nailed it

It's not hard to guess the overwhelming majority, dipshit
>>
>>53897221
quit projecting your insecurities onto other people you huge fag
>>
File: uber morlock.jpg (35KB, 736x490px) Image search: [Google]
uber morlock.jpg
35KB, 736x490px
>>53897221
People may like what they like for a variety of reasons.
You, on the other hand, are an eternal bystander, an idiot reduced to dislike what others like and project his own rotten mental states on them.
Get out!
>>
>>53895171
It's always like this in every fantasy setting. Horny nerd boys hunking over the big manly men with heavy armor.
>>
>>53895216
>>53895247

Compare and contrast, and spot the autist.
>>
>>53916236

Nerds play powerful casters.
>>
>>53916265
>spot the autist.

I found him. It's you.
>>
>>53895171
I've never played 40k before (in fact, I am really bad at simple wargames like Stratego, to the point where little kids routinely beat me) but my only interest in playing 40k was squashed when someone told me that I couldn't play an army of orks riding looted tyranids because those two factions can't ally.

I had an idea to make a bunch of big tyranids with their brains cut out and some ork wiring and machinery stuck in as as analogs to stompas and trukks and stuff.

I like orks because they're funny in the comics (haven't read anything else). What kind of stereotype does that make people think I am?
>>
>>53896800
>LOL haha us hobbyists rite? xD
>>
>>53908095

There sure is a Fuck load of left handed rebels...
>>
>>53916273
Shut up nerd.
>>
>>53895171
In most setting a Space Marine is a normal man in armor. In 40k a Space Marine can beat a man to death with another man so hard that both explode.
>>
File: sanguinius_by_koowanchee-d484eu4.jpg (206KB, 756x1056px) Image search: [Google]
sanguinius_by_koowanchee-d484eu4.jpg
206KB, 756x1056px
>>53908305
Let me tell you the story of a man named Sanguinius...
Thread posts: 164
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.